Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bengals LB Says They Knew What Steelers Would Run In 2nd Half

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Bengals LB Says They Knew What Steelers Would Run In 2nd Half

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Bengals LB Says They Knew What Steelers Would Run In 2nd Half

Players are calling out your OC. Announcers are calling out your OC, and now opponents are too.

3-7 for a reason.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

What the hell is a Tomlins thought process??

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Even I knew that.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    For me, it seems that Tomlin is following a set pattern here. Tomlin has demonstrated that, as a coach, he has an uncanny ability to diagnose and identify missed assignments and other minor and major failures in individual player execution on each play. Many former players and coaches have remarked on his, to them, stunning ability to do it in real-time and then have film review prove him out.

I have always felt that as a result of that, Tomlin is always going to demand that player assignment, execution, and penalties (basically "mistakes") be fixed first. Then, and only then, will he turn to scheme.

I am not saying he is correct. Or that this is a good approach. But however many years in, he isn't going to change now.

I suspect that Tomlin figures if these guys can't execute a crappy offense, what is the point of worrying about how flawed the system is when they are not good enough to pull it off anyways?

Now, I disagree. I think that the players know the system sucks and are "cheating" trying to gain an edge in their individual match-up each play and that leads to mistakes, penalties, and blown assignments. I think that players that lack confidence in the situation they are being put in are too on edge to just play and play well.

From what I see, the bad is coming from both ends. The scheme sucks. They players are so unsettled by that that they make consistent mistakes across the board that make it even worse.

I've never played high level sports, but I have played enough team activities that I know when no one trusts the plan, the plan is hard to execute because you just can't focus on what you are doing.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

When I watch the game with my 15 year old son and call out, "run to Harris for 1 yard" before the play he used to just look at me. Now he realizes how predictable and stupid Canada's offense it. And you know what the really great teams with really great players can get away with this. I mean the early 90's Cowboys you KNEW it was a run to Emmitt Smith and teams still couldn't stop them. But bad teams when they are predictable ... well we're seeing the results week in and week out.

Tomlin also knows he can't replace Canada at this point. Now with only 2 more losses his stupid "Never had a losing season" narrative is over. This team is a train wreck. They haven't played a consistent game all year where both the defense and offense function at the same time. It's sad, but if you fire your OC in the 12th week of the season you pretty much are saying you give up because there is no way someone is going to agree to come in an install a new offense with no time to practice or coach it. Th next two weeks we have two road games against teams that looked winnable but now not so much. The Colts are playing much better under Saturday and Atlanta is battling Tampa for their division lead. We still do have the Raider and Panthers on our schedule but I will be shocked if this team gets more than 5 wins this year.

Break down our 3 wins this year.

Bengals - We got an ridiculous performance from Watt and Minkah and still BARELY won only after a lucky blocked XP and two shitty snaps from their long snapper.
    Tampa - Not sure how we won this game, we actually got two clutch plays from Mitch Trubisky and Claypool. Half of that dual now plays on the Bears and the other half used to.
    Saints - We beat a Saints team with most of their secondary injured and Andy Dalton as QB. Had the Saints been healthy probably a loss.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

As I stated in another thread: At one point, the announcers even stated: “It looks like the LB was just waiting​ for that…”

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

aren't we 31st or 32nd in about every offensive category?
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Just curious…..I feel like maybe there is an overwhelming frustration by the Steelers fanbase with an absolutely talent loaded offense yet seems to be unable to play at a professional league level. Is that just me or do you guys get that feeling too?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Just curious…..I feel like maybe there is an overwhelming frustration by the Steelers fanbase with an absolutely talent loaded offense yet seems to be unable to play at a professional league level. Is that just me or do you guys get that feeling too?
    It's a sucky feeling but this is what 2003 and 1998-99 felt like. Team going nowhere. Sucky offense w/no identity. Defense can't stop anybody even though there are good players on both sides of the ball.

Tomlin was going to have a shit year sometime and this is it. Every coach has had one.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I don’t think the offense is loaded with talent. The QB is a rookie. Freiermuth, Pickens are great; DJ is good; Najee would be better with an O-line… but, our O-line is the worst in the league.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    For me, it seems that Tomlin is following a set pattern here. Tomlin has demonstrated that, as a coach, he has an uncanny ability to diagnose and identify missed assignments and other minor and major failures in individual player execution on each play. Many former players and coaches have remarked on his, to them, stunning ability to do it in real-time and then have film review prove him out.

I have always felt that as a result of that, Tomlin is always going to demand that player assignment, execution, and penalties (basically "mistakes") be fixed first. Then, and only then, will he turn to scheme.

I am not saying he is correct. Or that this is a good approach. But however many years in, he isn't going to change now.

I suspect that Tomlin figures if these guys can't execute a crappy offense, what is the point of worrying about how flawed the system is when they are not good enough to pull it off anyways?

Now, I disagree. I think that the players know the system sucks and are "cheating" trying to gain an edge in their individual match-up each play and that leads to mistakes, penalties, and blown assignments. I think that players that lack confidence in the situation they are being put in are too on edge to just play and play well.

From what I see, the bad is coming from both ends. The scheme sucks. They players are so unsettled by that that they make consistent mistakes across the board that make it even worse.

I've never played high level sports, but I have played enough team activities that I know when no one trusts the plan, the plan is hard to execute because you just can't focus on what you are doing.
    But this isn’t even an execution thing at this stage. They can’t execute because the other team know what’s going to happen…they are, stupidly, admitting it.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    It's a sucky feeling but this is what 2003 and 1998-99 felt like. Team going nowhere. Sucky offense w/no identity. Defense can't stop anybody even though there are good players on both sides of the ball.

Tomlin was going to have a shit year sometime and this is it. Every coach has had one.
    This is worse…there’s talent that’s just being wasted by Tomlin and Canada.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

One thing that was clear. One team made adjustments and the other didn't. It's getting old that we're always the team that doesn't.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

The 2003 team went 6-10 and then 15-1 the year after. They had talent but not the right coaches. (Whis and LeBeau took over in 2004).

Only a few lineup changes and they were back to dominating again. Of course the development of Troy and Ike led to the secondary and defensive resurgence.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

But this isn’t even an execution thing at this stage. They can’t execute because the other team know what’s going to happen…they are, stupidly, admitting it.
    From what I think is Tomlin's point of view there are significant execution problems. False starts, missed blocks, dropped passes, Najee pass blocking instead of taking a hand-off, bad technique on routes, etc.

To me, Tomlin has always seemed like a coach that insists on that stuff being totally eliminated before he's going to worry about play calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    From what I think is Tomlin's point of view there are significant execution problems. False starts, missed blocks, dropped passes, Najee pass blocking instead of taking a hand-off, bad technique on routes, etc.

To me, Tomlin has always seemed like a coach that insists on that stuff being totally eliminated before he's going to worry about play calls.
    Maybe. That’s really the only thought process that “works” when trying to figure out what he is thinking…

Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, and Jeff Hartings were obviously leaps & bounds better than any O-lineman we currently have. Heck, Kendrick Vincent (who was underrated) would easily start for this team.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    aren't we 31st or 32nd in about every offensive category?
    These were the stats before yesterdays game:

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    These were the stats before yesterdays game:

That sure looks like Omar Khan at the far end of the row where Canada is sitting. Is Khan normally in the same booth with Canada and the other staff on game days?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    That sure looks like Omar Khan at the far end of the row where Canada is sitting. Is Khan normally in the same booth with Canada and the other staff on game days?
    And who are the other two clowns next to Canada?

Hate is the only thing that comes to mind…

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

That's not saying much. I feel like 3rd graders could guess which plays we were going to run.
    Last edited by vasteeler; 11-21-2022 at 06:58 PM.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

So is this the first year BB didn't bother filming the Steelers walk through's before playing them ?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This is just further evidence of Tomlin's genius. He is obviously tanking the season for a draft spot that will land him Jalen Carter or Kelee Ringo. All the while making it look as if he's trying to win games but his offense is just too inept. Chess Master!

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

If he's tanking the season on purpose he should be fired immediately!

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Wonder if Tomlin brought in Brian Flores to teach them how to tank a season

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

It’s not like Tomlin knows how to make adjustments. He just rides the players and hopes for the best.
    Hater = Realist

The offense gained 200+ yards in the 1st half and 4 yards in the 2nd half. Wasn’t hard to figure the playcalling was predictable. It didn’t require a player from the Bengal’s defense to bring that fact to light. We have been looking at the play call sheets, the routes, the pass attempts, all of that all season. We know it is predictable. We know it has to get fixed. This is not some new drumbeat.