Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This season was lost back in August

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: This season was lost back in August

If anybody was sitting around in August thinking that the Steelers were making the playoffs this season, they were delusional.

This was always going to be a rebuild/retool. The Bengals, Browns and Ravens all had better rosters than the Steelers did.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    If anybody was sitting around in August thinking that the Steelers were making the playoffs this season, they were delusional.

This was always going to be a rebuild/retool. The Bengals, Browns and Ravens all had better rosters than the Steelers did.
    Thank you!

The amount of self-delusion each of us had as fans in August regarding the potential final outcome of the season seems to be now translated into the fire 'em all anger.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The defense was a big disappointment...I expected much better

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The defense was a big disappointment...I expected much better
    Sure, Watt, Minkah, with some free agent additions of Jack, Wallace, Ogunjobi had some reasons for optimism.

But it always starts up front and relying on D linemen that are 33 and 35 years old to anchor the front 7, wasnt going to eventually turn out to be bad. The TJ pec injury just took away the X factor as well. The Steelers needed to spend some 2nd round picks on D linemen, rather than WR's to try and support their over the hill QB the past few years.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Reminder: Tomlin saw it fit that the trashfire we saw yesterday was the best Quarterback on the team and gave him the starting job and Captain status before the season.

Probably the biggest Free Agent blunder since Kent Graham.

Look, I'm not going to bury Mitch Trubisky forever. I like the guy. He can clearly make some throws. I'm just tired of the narrative by some people that somehow this team would be much, much better with Trubisky as QB for the whole season and that it was a mistake to start Pickett.

I really like Mitch as a backup. I just think he was trying to show that he should be the starter yesterday, and he forced some throws trying to make splash plays when that isn't what was needed in that situation and against that opponent with backup quarterbacks playing. By doing that, he cemented that Pickett was the correct decision as the starter of this team. Veteran quarterbacks are the ones that can normally be counted on to do the right thing at the right time to manage games or make a play when something needs to be done or it's time to take a calculated risk. He looked like the rookie trying to show everyone what he could do, and ended up giving the game away and putting his defense on the field for additional possessions when the offense only ran 27 plays in the first half playing against a really physical team.

I think Mitch or Mason can be good backup quarterbacks. Mitch has more talent, and IMO is closer to starter-level ability than Rudolph, but both men could be very good in that role.

I think that the development and improvement of Pickett was never more apparent than it was yesterday watching Trubisky trying to do everything and turn into a turnover machine. Kenny has really done a great job taking care of the ball the last four games, and it looked like a run-of-the-mill Pickett performance in that game would have won it for the Steelers and helped the defense out a bit more while putting pressure on the Ravens' offense to do more. It was a "game manager" teaching moment.

Also, there were a few plays where you know Pickett would have taken off and gotten some first downs with his legs. Trubisky was sold as the athlete, but he never runs. He is keeping his eyes downfield to throw, but many times he holds it too long and misses the opportunity to take off to make a positive play. Again, that's what Trubisky was supposed to be in this offense, yet he almost never shows it and is trying to do it just with his arm.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

The TJ pec injury just took away the X factor as well.
    Yep. Unfortunately, Watt isn't going to be "right" again until he gets an offseason of rest. He's nowhere near 100% right now and he won't be until that happens.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Yep. Unfortunately, Watt isn't going to be "right" again until he gets an offseason of rest. He's nowhere near 100% right now and he won't be until that happens.
    yeah he is a shell of himself at this point ,,to be honest IMO he should be shut down the rest of the way there is no post season on the horizon so no reason for an injured guy protecting his future to be on the field
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

When you draft a first round quarterback and he shows out in preseason, you don't waste a fucking month on Mitch Trubisky.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Hold a "Quarterback Competition" and give the starting job to the clear third place guy, and not only give him the job, but Captainship as well. Then when the "bridge" Quarterback is proven to not be any good. Make a desperate switch to the rookie who outplayed him and should've started to begin with. But Mikey "doesn't start rookies".

Do not hold the crappy offensive coordinator accountable for a consistently bad offense.

And another Tomlin staple, give up 37 points in a critical game to a team missing its best receiver with a 100% healthy Defense.

Tomlin stared into the abyss without Big Ben and blinked. He was afraid of the inevitable rebuild with Pickett and tried to slap a bandaid on it which failed. One thing you cannot deny is that Mike Tomlin has truly earned his first losing season. Probably one of the worst Steeler coaching efforts I have ever seen. Some soul-searching needs to be done in the organization this offseason.
    Tomlin made errors early on, but he just fixed all that and went 7-2 the second half.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Not sure if it was fixed or just patched…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I guess there were group on here that did, but honestly, I feel that anyone who looked at this team in August and saw a 9 win team eliminated from playoff contention on the final Sunday was delusional or from the future.

Imagine if this is "bottom" of the Steelers post Ben "rebuild"?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

So...are we picking 20th again?

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I blame Canada, he was the guy pushing for a mobile qb, and vet probably. Mitch starting has Canada written all over it. Tomlin relies on his coordinators- specially offense. He probably had enough of Mitch and overruled Canada but by then it was too late.

Hope they get rid of Canada and Mitch ‘I didn’t sign up for this’ Trubisky

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I guess there were group on here that did, but honestly, I feel that anyone who looked at this team in August and saw a 9 win team eliminated from playoff contention on the final Sunday was delusional or from the future.

Imagine if this is "bottom" of the Steelers post Ben "rebuild"?
    One of the reasons I predicted a winning record was that Tomlin always finds a way to not have a losing season, even when things look ugly at time like this year, 2021, 2019 and 2013.

I liked the second half of the season but they still have work to do if they want to compete for the AFC north and the Bengals....More explosive in offense and improve the pass coverage at the ILB and CB position will be important

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    So...are we picking 20th again?
    18th maybe...20th is for a playoffs team now with 14 teams in the playoffs

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

One of the reasons I predicted a winning record was that Tomlin always finds a way to not have a losing season, even when things look ugly at time like this year, 2021, 2019 and 2013.

I liked the second half of the season but they still have work to do if they want to compete for the AFC north and the Bengals....More explosive in offense and improve the pass coverage at the ILB and CB position will be important

- - - Updated - - -

18th maybe...20th is for a playoffs team now with 14 teams in the playoffs
    Does it make a difference that our record is better than some playoff teams?

Does it make a difference that our record is better than some playoff teams?
    No...The last 14 team in the draft are in the playoffs no matter the record

No...The last 14 team in the draft are in the playoffs no matter the record
    I mean as for draft position. Does it go by record totally or only up to the playoff teams?

I think I don't know how to ask my question coherently.

I mean as for draft position. Does it go by record totally or only up to the playoff teams?
    Only up to the playoff teams. Then elimination order or something

Only up to the playoffs team....Like the Bucs(8-9) own draft pick will be AFTER the steelers,no matter what

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

So we are picking #17 or #18. No better and no worse. Either GB or Detroit is going to finish 9-8 like us (barring a tie tomorrow). I'm not sure who wins the tie breaker to be consider and higher team.

So right now it is:

1. Bears
    2. Texans

Then the rest is still being settled.

Looking back at it now, the season was not lost back in August. Once again the season went down to the wire and the final week. The 'delusional, we can make the playoffs' fans were off by 1 game. With everything that went wrong during the 2022/23 campaign, we still made it to the brink of the playoffs again. I think it's the 'we have no chance' fans that are proven delusional.

Like I said, even with Canada and this offense if Pickett starts game #1 and avoids the concussions I think this team wins 10 or 11 games THIS year.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The season lost by Mitch Trubisky against the Ravens a few weeks ago. He gave that game away.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Like I said, even with Canada and this offense if Pickett starts game #1 and avoids the concussions I think this team wins 10 or 11 games THIS year.
    Agreed. Even with Canada's NCAA Division III offense.

The loss against the pats and Jets were such a killer

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

The loss against the pats and Jets were such a killer
    The loss to Miami too

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The season lost by Mitch Trubisky against the Ravens a few weeks ago. He gave that game away.
    he threw that freakin game, in my opinion that sucks
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Former Steelers HC Bill Cowher On Pittsburgh Coming Up Short: ‘Bottom Line Is Games Matter Early In The Season’

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/01/fo...in-the-season/