Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire Teryl Austin

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Fire Teryl Austin

We have the highest paid defense and just gave up 37 to a team missing their top WR and RB

Besides, every other coach on the Steelers has a fire thread so why not Austin, too?
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Fire Teryl Austin

Fire the defensive "guru" Mike Tomlin.

Another "great" Defense shits the bed in a critical game. Like Bortles and Mayfield. Burrow is better than both of them, but the point stands.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    We have the highest paid defense and just gave up 37 to a team missing their top WR and RB
    Austin isn't an NFL caliber coach but he's perfect for the disfunction that is Mike Tomlin. Lost in all of the "Fire Canada" is the fact this defense doesn't do anything well. No pressure on the QB, wide open middle of the field, and poor overall DB play.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

What did the Steelers run in the second half on offense? Like 12 plays?

Find a defense that survives that.

There was a lot that didn’t go well on defense and several decisions that don’t make sense from my coach.

But the total lack of offense has to be factored in.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The defense gave the offense the ball at the 21… FG.

The defense forced the Bengals to punt from inside of their own 15. Twice. In turn, the offense hit the ball at the 50. Twice. The offense failed to get a first down on either of those drives.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

There was a lot that didn’t go well on defense and several decisions that don’t make sense from my coach.

3 plays 1 yard
    3 plays 6 yards
    3 plays 6 yards
    4 plays 6 yards
    6 plays 27 yards
    4 plays 5 yards
    4 plays 1 yard

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

3 plays 1 yard
    3 plays 6 yards
    3 plays 6 yards
    4 plays 6 yards
    6 plays 27 yards
    4 plays 5 yards
    4 plays 1 yard

No defense could surmount that amount of ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    No defense could surmount that amount of ineptitude.
    DING-DING-DING!!!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The thing is, they are just as bad in the first half as they are the second half. Coverage is just as bad in half one as it is in half two.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The thing is, they are just as bad in the first half as they are the second half. Coverage is just as bad in half one as it is in half two.
    This draft is deep with corners. Off the top of my head / some of my personal favorites…

R1: Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia

R1/R2: Peezy Jr., CB, Penn St.
    R2: Witherspoon, CB, Illlinois
    R4: Steven Gilmore, CB, Marshall

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I never said they were great. But the two parts work together and when one part basically implodes, the other is going to suffer as well.

The CB room is comical though. Would any of those guys see the field for other teams?

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

The defense gave the offense the ball at the 21… FG.

The defense forced the Bengals to punt from inside of their own 15. Twice. In turn, the offense hit the ball at the 50. Twice. The offense failed to get a first down on either of those drives.
    Can't use logic here, there's a fire tomlin thread, and a fire canada thread, so there should also be a fire austin and danny smith thread

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Defense was ok, they provided the offense with enough opportunities to stay in the game, specially considering that Watt was not himself today

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Defense was ok, they provided the offense with enough opportunities to stay in the game, specially considering that Watt was not himself today
    That interception was insane though

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    That interception was insane though
    Definitely, but generally otherwise he didn’t have much, I think he was gassed, first game back since September - probably couldn’t practice at all

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Definitely, but generally otherwise he didn’t have much, I think he was gassed, first game back since September - probably couldn’t practice at all
    Didn’t Watt come back last week?

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Didn’t Watt come back last week?
    your right, why did I forget? He really hasn’t been the same since his return

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Our defense has been awful in half of the game this year and get burned by every good QB like this is always the case year after year....Yes our offense is way worst but it don't make the defense good

This defense will have some good game and some very poor game.Austin is lucky that Canada is historic bad,the bengals had the same issues back in 2018 with him as DC....Great position coach,poor DC

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

3 plays 1 yard
    3 plays 6 yards
    3 plays 6 yards
    4 plays 6 yards
    6 plays 27 yards
    4 plays 5 yards
    4 plays 1 yard

so how many 3 or 4 and outs did the steelers defense force ? do they not have the same opportunity to get off the field ? the bengals were just better at it.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

When a team allows 9 yards per pass attempt , you won't be winning many games. The offense was terrible in the 2nd half but that wasn't responsible for leaving the middle of the field wide open play after play. This has been the case all year long and it seems like it's getting worse not better. Burrow picked the Steelers apart, he made the ILBs in coverage look like they had never covered a reciever (or RB) in their lives.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I never said they were great. But the two parts work together and when one part basically implodes, the other is going to suffer as well.

The CB room is comical though. Would any of those guys see the field for other teams?
    Wallace might.

2023 though you are building on Fitzpatrick…you need 4 other guys to make it work…

1. Fitzpatrick
    4. Wallace
    5. Sutton

Arthur Maulet shouldn’t be on a roster…if he is, he should NOT be getting the amount of playing time that he has. Year in and year out, there’s always a guy (or two) in that backend of the defense we are saying this about.

Fire Teryl Austin

Wallace might.

2023 though you are building on Fitzpatrick…you need 4 other guys to make it work…

1. Fitzpatrick
    4. Wallace
    5. Sutton

Arthur Maulet shouldn’t be on a roster…if he is, he should NOT be getting the amount of playing time that he has. Year in and year out, there’s always a guy (or two) in that backend of the defense we are saying this about.
    I dunno about Wallace. Buffalo let him walk without much of a fight. He doesn’t really cost anything. He certainly couldn’t start for half the league.

Their insistence on giving Maulet and Spillane heavy passing game snaps tells me the coaches are prioritizing comfort over ability. They want the player who responds predictably and wins the rep kinda coaching nonsense. Great. Sure these guys look awesome in practice but then teams just relentlessly hunt them for big plays on Sundays.

I realize all the Steelers defenders took turns getting worked on Sunday, but repeatedly leaving Maulet in man coverage on Higgins is just a plan to fail. I know it was to get more into the pass rush but Maulet just can’t complete that assignment. Not against a QB who can get the ball out as quickly as Burrow does.

And honestly, I think we all owe Butler an apology. Because while his coverage plans often were worse, he’d at least put the QB on the ground.

Austin seems to have coverage issues and still not get pressure.

And yes, Burrow is hard to sack. But what about the other weeks? I know losing Watt is a big deal. But look at the rest of the roster. It’s not exactly lacking ability. I truly believe that Butler would’ve at least been sacking the QB with this group. Might’ve let up 28 points a game. But he’d have found pressure.

I dunno about Wallace. Buffalo let him walk without much of a fight. He doesn’t really cost anything. He certainly couldn’t start for half the league.

Their insistence on giving Maulet and Spillane heavy passing game snaps tells me the coaches are prioritizing comfort over ability. They want the player who responds predictably and wins the rep kinda coaching nonsense. Great. Sure these guys look awesome in practice but then teams just relentlessly hunt them for big plays on Sundays.

I realize all the Steelers defenders took turns getting worked on Sunday, but repeatedly leaving Maulet in man coverage on Higgins is just a plan to fail. I know it was to get more into the pass rush but Maulet just can’t complete that assignment. Not against a QB who can get the ball out as quickly as Burrow does.
    Letting Hilton walk and keeping Sutton might have been the biggest personnel mistake of recent history…

So take Wallace off the list and to be honest, I’m not sure Sutton belongs there either. He was good in spurts but what has he really shown? Maybe it’s a good thing his name isn’t being called…aka Steven Nelson…

Letting Hilton walk and keeping Sutton might have been the biggest personnel mistake of recent history…

So take Wallace off the list and to be honest, I’m not sure Sutton belongs there either. He was good in spurts but what has he really shown? Maybe it’s a good thing his name isn’t being called…aka Steven Nelson…
    You can’t keep Hilton and lose Sutton. By the end of Hiltons tenure he wasn’t even playing on passing downs. Hilton is a better version of Maulet. Hilton isn’t good in coverage either. He’s just not the dumpster fire Maulet is.

Sutton is fine. He’s just not supposed to be a teams top CB.

The whole CB thing is part of what annoys me about how they do roster stuff. Hung on to Layne too long. Repeating it with Pierre. If you’ve reached a decision as a coaching staff that you can’t play these guys in base defense, then you need to cut them and try other CBs out. Repeat until you find someone. For a team who doesn’t invest many resources at CB, they need to be turning over rocks looking for someone who can help.

I guess they are trying with Witherspoon and Jackson, but maybe look for better rocks?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

the funny thing is Arthur Maulet is ALMOST always running stride for stride with his man ( or so it seems ) but he never seems to make a play ... its like the QB is throwing to a WR with a big shadow but the shadow is just that a shadow it has zero play making / defensive ability so its just pitch and catch all day long and the shadow never gets in the way it only follows along ...

hence my new name for Arthur Maulet is SHADOW and only the Shadow knows why he never seems to put his arm in the way of the ball as he is in position most of the time to make some sort of disruption ....... but doesnt
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

your right, why did I forget? He really hasn’t been the same since his return
    The same? Did you see that ridiculous INT yesterday? If your defensive scheme is built around one guy getting 5 sacks a game then you have no defensive scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    so how many 3 or 4 and outs did the steelers defense force ? do they not have the same opportunity to get off the field ? the bengals were just better at it.
    At least three…

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...l=1#post816809

By the start of the 4th quarter, the defense was starting to get gassed from being on the field so long. The Bengals defense wasn’t particularly good; the three-&-outs were more of a result of the Steelers offense being incredibly bad.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

At least three…

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...l=1#post816809

By the start of the 4th quarter, the defense was starting to get gassed from being on the field so long. The Bengals defense wasn’t particularly good; the three-&-outs were more of a result of the Steelers offense being incredibly bad.
    The steelers defense have been on the field for 65 plays....The Bengals defense were for 68 plays....If the steelers defense were too tired,they have a major problem.Yes our offense is terrible but our defense were terrible all game long yesterday even when the offense were good in the first half

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The steelers defense have been on the field for 65 plays....The Bengals defense were for 68 plays....If the steelers defense were too tired,they have a major problem.Yes our offense is terrible but our defense were terrible all game long yesterday even when the offense were good in the first half
    Different situations. One team was up by 11 points (and eventually 14 points)… and could pin their ear back and solely pass-rush. Plus, one team faced an OC who ran the same plays on first duen resulting in 9 times his offense faced 2nd-&-“9 or longer”.

I dunno anymore. I really don't care that they are losing. No big deal. It happens - especially when you are rebuilding to the extent the Steelers are. But the "plan" seems bad on both sides of the ball. Also find it interesting that several players in leadership positions are starting to say fairly unusual things in the press.

Now, if you've ever read any of my previous postings, you know that I am not a fire this guy or that guy kinda poster and I think press conferences and quotes are basically cliches and lies.

But things are starting to stack up. The two coordinators seem inflexible, not adaptable, and overwhelmed by simple things. To not have a way to deal with RBs in the flat while also pass rushing...look I never played ball....but that seems pretty basic. Offense...keep running plays to the strength of the defense where you can't block all the defenders on that side....

At some point, I just give up and, honestly, fire 'em all. See if maybe Flores will stick around to lead the defense, but I think Austin might need to get some serious portion of blame here...

OK...I just went back and watched clips of the 3 RB TDs and it does look like on each there is a player assigned and kinda sorta in a position to prevent a big gain, much less a TD. But Spillane misses a tackle, Jack slips getting chipped by the TE coming across, and Bush takes an odd path through the mass of bodies and gets there too late. So maybe Austin had it covered and players just let him down....?