Thread: 2023 Draft Thread for DL

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

2023 Draft Thread for DL

I'm going to start with Gervon Dexter of Florida. 6'6"-310ish lbs. Benches over 400, squats over 600. The Gators move him around a lot between 3T and 1T, as well as left side and right side. A very large, strong, and versatile DL. Here is some game film I found from just a quick search:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTa7Ruuh48c vs Kentucky 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glUezEP26k0 vs LSU 2021

Obviously not a 1st round pick this draft but I could see 2nd/3rd round grades.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: 2023 Draft Thread for DL

Bryan Bresee of Clemson. 6'5"-300ish lbs. Benched 405 in highschool. Can bulk up to play more 1T or play 3T now. Missed 2021 with ACL injury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dggoJzPUnMI vs Georgia CFP

I think he goes 1st round. Some predict top10.

Myles Murphy of Clemson 6'5"- 275ish lbs. Bench over 400, deadlift over 500. Rumored he ran a 4.57/40. 3T squarely in the size/weight range the Steelers look.

...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM_rFO9o5pE vs Georgia CFP

Another 1st round guy from Clemson, possible top10.

Siaki "Apu" Ika 6'4"-350ish lbs with suddenness and glide from Baylor. Plays as a 3T DT mostly, some at NT.

...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGZ5uQoBM74 a highlight reel was all I could find this morning.

Mazi Smith 6'3"-330ish lbs at Michigan. Uber athletic according to 'Feldman's Freaks'. Smith has a 33" Vert and a 9'5" broad. He also had a 6.95 3-cone. 22 reps at 325(not the standard 225).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bomNZWrg1M this video is maybe much more info than you want but I found it informative. Not a game film or highlight.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Nice

R2: I’d take Gervon Dexter

I was letting somebody else do one for Jalen Carter.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

My homer pick:
    Jonah Tavai, DT, SDSU

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

So, where do the Steelers go from here for DL's.

Do they get the Heyward or Tuitt type of DT/DE?

Are there any Hargrave "types"?''

I am no draft expert nor do I watch enough college games to see but I'm just wondering what they are going to look for?

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    So, where do the Steelers go from here for DL's.

Do they get the Heyward or Tuitt type of DT/DE?

Are there any Hargrave "types"?''

I am no draft expert nor do I watch enough college games to see but I'm just wondering what they are going to look for?
    That's a legit question. And is there even a market for a DL for the Steelers in this draft? Looking at the team's depth chart and roster all of the DL are around the 6'3"-6'5" approx 300-305LBs. So they have a type. Alualu, Wormley, and Ogunjobi are UFA at the end of this season. That still leaves us Cam, Adams, Loudermilk, and Leal. Bringing in another IDL FA, or re-signing one of those UFAs before they hit the open market, may be in play. I actually think that makes more sense than the draft right now. But I am seldom right when trying to guess the steelers offseason moves.

I don't think they will bring in any $13M Hargrave types. As for in this draft, your guess is every bit as good as the next guy's. Most really covet Jalen Carter of Georgia so he's probably the way to go. I like this guy from Baylor, Siaki Ika.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    That's a legit question. And is there even a market for a DL for the Steelers in this draft? Looking at the team's depth chart and roster all of the DL are around the 6'3"-6'5" approx 300-305LBs. So they have a type. Alualu, Wormley, and Ogunjobi are UFA at the end of this season. That still leaves us Cam, Adams, Loudermilk, and Leal. Bringing in another IDL FA, or re-signing one of those UFAs before they hit the open market, may be in play. I actually think that makes more sense than the draft right now. But I am seldom right when trying to guess the steelers offseason moves.

I don't think they will bring in any $13M Hargrave types. As for in this draft, your guess is every bit as good as the next guy's. Most really covet Jalen Carter of Georgia so he's probably the way to go. I like this guy from Baylor, Siaki Ika.

I love the Siaki Ika train .... the dude is a mountain of a man with power to burn and he moves pretty well for a guy his size ...

this is a Lane stuffer and immediately improves the run def and he will collapse the pocket and make everyone around him better ...

most NT are 2 down players but I think this guy is a 3 down player because of his ability to collapse the pocket and open up opportunity for others to rush the passer more consistently
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I love the Siaki Ika train .... the dude is a mountain of a man with power to burn and he moves pretty well for a guy his size ...

this is a Lane stuffer and immediately improves the run def and he will collapse the pocket and make everyone around him better ...

most NT are 2 down players but I think this guy is a 3 down player because of his ability to collapse the pocket and open up opportunity for others to rush the passer more consistently

It remains to be seen if he could be a 3-down player, but I really like this kid too. He is not just a space eater. He pushes the pocket so he is a disruptive force at the college level. Can he do the same in the NFL? That is the question.

With the run game becoming a more prominent role in the NFL, players like Siaki Ika are going to be more coveted than they were a year or two ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I like your list.

As I just said to Dwinsgames, I really like the idea of Siaki Ika. He is the poor man's Jordan Davis from last year's draft.

Member Array title="SteelerCountry58 has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerCountry58's Avatar

I’m all about Ika with one of the 2nd rd picks. That dude will be our Nata to plug the middle for years to come. Love Bresee but worried about his durability. He’ll go within the top twenty regardless.

P.J. Mustipher 6'4"-329LBs PSU. More of a huge 3T than a true NT. He has logged 58 games over 5 seasons at PSU so experience is there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbwaZkNFzhk

Just a funny little personality piece to share....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLxWFuAC0tI

Sounds like all y’all are locked in on Siaki Ika with the second R2 pick… which means he’ll be a Raven.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Sounds like all y’all are locked in on Siaki Ika with the second R2 pick… which means he’ll be a Raven.
    I do like what I have seen and read. Lots of testing yet to do. I am leaning more toward OT/ILB/CB/OG with our first 4 picks this draft. Apu is an interesting prospect, he does end up on the ground a lot though. A lot. I like him but the last guy I profiled, Mustipher, seems to be more of a Tomlin guy. Watch the videos.

- - - Updated - - -

I am curious to watch Mazi Smith in this playoff. I watched him a lot vs OSU. He was very slow off the snap. I don’t know if that was by design, or if that is an issue with him. Other than that he has the tools for the NFL.

Agreed: Mustipher makes sense.

I’ll add Calijah Kancey from Pitt.

Member Array title="Crossdog will become famous soon enough"> Crossdog's Avatar

Maybe a lesser known prospect, I'll be excited to see the Senior Bowl practices, etc. Especially his weigh-in, I've seen varying ranges. Biggest issue I see is his arm extension, sometimes he doesn't get them out and "catches" the OL. Probably a combo of just getting stronger and better technique.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prosp...-87e2439d1d1d/

http://nfldraftblitz.com/2022/12/01/...-georgia-tech/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgkWazXjJwM

Quote Originally Posted by Crossdog View Post
    Maybe a lesser known prospect, I'll be excited to see the Senior Bowl practices, etc. Especially his weigh-in, I've seen varying ranges. Biggest issue I see is his arm extension, sometimes he doesn't get them out and "catches" the OL. Probably a combo of just getting stronger and better technique.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prosp...-87e2439d1d1d/

http://nfldraftblitz.com/2022/12/01/...-georgia-tech/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgkWazXjJwM

Kinda funny you bring this guy up today. I saw his name in a recent mock draft yesterday and was looking at his specifics and games last night. I agree with you that his tests will mean a great deal to his draft value. From what I find today, he would need to be there in the 7th. He has good size and athleticism, he's just very raw as a DL, plays more on the edge than in the middle, and is very much a project/PS player at this point. But he is a name worth keeping an eye on through the testing season. Nice find.

Don’t be surprised is Keion White, DE, Georgia Tech is the pick at 17. Really.

A similar guy (new to the position, raw, but impactful when on the field) is Lukas Van Ness, DE, Iowa.

Give me one of them and Siaka Ika, NT, Baylor… and it won’t really matter who the ILBs are.

Watt - White - Ika - Heyward - Highsmith

38 reps!, wow impressive and that with a 79" wingspan.

I was concerned with the weight like I said in the earlier post. 6'4" 280. Definitely on the lighter side than what they usually look for. I guess we'll know if they're interested come pro day and visits to the burgh.

Don't count on the Senior Bowl GAME as a proving ground for any DL....hardly noticed anyone this game.. A little on Pickens, but no K. White or Benton or any other. Rather disappointing, but the OL was the star of this game imo. Some splashes from the edge but that is to be expected.

Looking at the current roster:

Cam Heyward, Leal, Loudermilk, Adams, Jonathan Marshall, and Renell Wren.

That's a starter and backup at each 3-4 position with versatility. No glaring holes.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

And Larry Ogunjobi just resigned.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post
    And Larry Ogunjobi just resigned.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
    Good!! Probably pushes Wren down to PS.

Some RAS score on DL thanks to the Steelers Depot guys:

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/03/20...ic-scores-ras/

Gervon Dexter is still the leader in the clubhouse. I really like this guy. I think he will be gone by the time we look to draft DL though. Hopefully he doesn't get drafted by one of the other AFCN teams. Next comes K. Benton from Wisconsin and B. Bresee from Clemson. Those are your top3 RAS score guys. But some of the others had some plus moments and qualities.

I was letting somebody else do one for Jalen Carter.
    This guy thinks he should already be getting fitted for his gold jacket. Sorry no visits if you're outside the top 10. I'm sure the other 22 teams' GMs are going to RACE to their phone......ohhh wait, too soon??

Out of shape at his pro day no less. uhhh......You're doing it wrong.