Thread: 2023 Draft Thread for DL

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

2023 Draft Thread for DL

I'm going to start with Gervon Dexter of Florida. 6'6"-310ish lbs. Benches over 400, squats over 600. The Gators move him around a lot between 3T and 1T, as well as left side and right side. A very large, strong, and versatile DL. Here is some game film I found from just a quick search:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTa7Ruuh48c vs Kentucky 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glUezEP26k0 vs LSU 2021

Obviously not a 1st round pick this draft but I could see 2nd/3rd round grades.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: 2023 Draft Thread for DL

Bryan Bresee of Clemson. 6'5"-300ish lbs. Benched 405 in highschool. Can bulk up to play more 1T or play 3T now. Missed 2021 with ACL injury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dggoJzPUnMI vs Georgia CFP

I think he goes 1st round. Some predict top10.

Myles Murphy of Clemson 6'5"- 275ish lbs. Bench over 400, deadlift over 500. Rumored he ran a 4.57/40. 3T squarely in the size/weight range the Steelers look.

...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM_rFO9o5pE vs Georgia CFP

Another 1st round guy from Clemson, possible top10.

Siaki "Apu" Ika 6'4"-350ish lbs with suddenness and glide from Baylor. Plays as a 3T DT mostly, some at NT.

...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGZ5uQoBM74 a highlight reel was all I could find this morning.

Mazi Smith 6'3"-330ish lbs at Michigan. Uber athletic according to 'Feldman's Freaks'. Smith has a 33" Vert and a 9'5" broad. He also had a 6.95 3-cone. 22 reps at 325(not the standard 225).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bomNZWrg1M this video is maybe much more info than you want but I found it informative. Not a game film or highlight.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Nice

R2: I’d take Gervon Dexter

I was letting somebody else do one for Jalen Carter.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

My homer pick:
    Jonah Tavai, DT, SDSU

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

So, where do the Steelers go from here for DL's.

Do they get the Heyward or Tuitt type of DT/DE?

Are there any Hargrave "types"?''

I am no draft expert nor do I watch enough college games to see but I'm just wondering what they are going to look for?

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    So, where do the Steelers go from here for DL's.

Do they get the Heyward or Tuitt type of DT/DE?

Are there any Hargrave "types"?''

I am no draft expert nor do I watch enough college games to see but I'm just wondering what they are going to look for?
    That's a legit question. And is there even a market for a DL for the Steelers in this draft? Looking at the team's depth chart and roster all of the DL are around the 6'3"-6'5" approx 300-305LBs. So they have a type. Alualu, Wormley, and Ogunjobi are UFA at the end of this season. That still leaves us Cam, Adams, Loudermilk, and Leal. Bringing in another IDL FA, or re-signing one of those UFAs before they hit the open market, may be in play. I actually think that makes more sense than the draft right now. But I am seldom right when trying to guess the steelers offseason moves.

I don't think they will bring in any $13M Hargrave types. As for in this draft, your guess is every bit as good as the next guy's. Most really covet Jalen Carter of Georgia so he's probably the way to go. I like this guy from Baylor, Siaki Ika.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    That's a legit question. And is there even a market for a DL for the Steelers in this draft? Looking at the team's depth chart and roster all of the DL are around the 6'3"-6'5" approx 300-305LBs. So they have a type. Alualu, Wormley, and Ogunjobi are UFA at the end of this season. That still leaves us Cam, Adams, Loudermilk, and Leal. Bringing in another IDL FA, or re-signing one of those UFAs before they hit the open market, may be in play. I actually think that makes more sense than the draft right now. But I am seldom right when trying to guess the steelers offseason moves.

I don't think they will bring in any $13M Hargrave types. As for in this draft, your guess is every bit as good as the next guy's. Most really covet Jalen Carter of Georgia so he's probably the way to go. I like this guy from Baylor, Siaki Ika.

I love the Siaki Ika train .... the dude is a mountain of a man with power to burn and he moves pretty well for a guy his size ...

this is a Lane stuffer and immediately improves the run def and he will collapse the pocket and make everyone around him better ...

most NT are 2 down players but I think this guy is a 3 down player because of his ability to collapse the pocket and open up opportunity for others to rush the passer more consistently
    I hate the Kenny Pickett Selection , but he is a Steeler now so hope he turns out great

former @Dwinsgames on Twitter ( account re-suspended)