Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: William Jackson Finally A Steeler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: William Jackson Finally A Steeler

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Still…you have to attempt a play to end sure he’s out of bounds. You just can’t pull up there. It’s a bad play on his part.

Hopefully he excels in man coverage but how often do the Steelers do that? We’ve all seen the giant holes in the zones week after week…worth a chance for almost nothing but not expecting much out of this deal especially since no other team really wanted him either.
    Well personally, I've been hoping the Steelers would go back to a base 4-3 defense and adopt the same formula the Giants used to beat Brady in the Super Bowl twice (relentless pass rush generated by the front 4 accompanied by press man coverage) ever since Gannon and Brady exposed the Steelers' defense in back-to-back weeks early in the 2002 season.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

As I understand it the team is basically paying Jackson $3 million dollars to see if he doesn't suck. Not the worst idea that a team with cap space to dink around with could have. I had originally assumed they gave up actual draft picks to make this happen. Since that is not the case, giddy up!

Someone else mentioned it earlier but the following is not all that bad:
    Best Version of Witherspoon
    Best Version of WJ
    Best Version of Sutton

Plus....Maulet can hit the bench on passing downs. And they can (maybe) move on from the Levi Wallace situation. I mean Maulet not being on the field on passing downs might be worth a higher draft pick....of course they will find some reason to keep sending him and Spillane out there to get worked over.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

If we are trading for defensive pieces why not go after Roquan Smith? He was there for a 2nd round pick and I would think the Bears would rather have our 2nd rounder next year instead of the Ravens. We could have let Bush walk and been ready to rebuild the defense next year.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    If we are trading for defensive pieces why not go after Roquan Smith? He was there for a 2nd round pick and I would think the Bears would rather have our 2nd rounder next year instead of the Ravens. We could have let Bush walk and been ready to rebuild the defense next year.
    Yup. Plus you had this deal for Claypool with the Bears on simmer prior to the Smith trade according to rumors.

So Claypool and a 4 for Smith? Why that didn’t happen is hard to figure out. All I got is that it took a longer timeline for the Bears to budge on Claypool price and in the meantime they sold off Smith.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Well personally, I've been hoping the Steelers would go back to a base 4-3 defense and adopt the same formula the Giants used to beat Brady in the Super Bowl twice (relentless pass rush generated by the front 4 accompanied by press man coverage) ever since Gannon and Brady exposed the Steelers' defense in back-to-back weeks early in the 2002 season.
    To be fair, The Steelers haven't been running a true 3-4 for years now. They've been using a hybrid 4-3 with Watt on the end, and consistently rushed 4 and hardly blitz.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

according to Pro Football Focus, Jackson graded out at 59.3 last year, and this year slipped to 49.6 to rank 101st of 119 cornerbacks.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...him-196656187/

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    As I understand it the team is basically paying Jackson $3 million dollars to see if he doesn't suck. Not the worst idea that a team with cap space to dink around with could have. I had originally assumed they gave up actual draft picks to make this happen. Since that is not the case, giddy up!

Someone else mentioned it earlier but the following is not all that bad:
    Best Version of Witherspoon
    Best Version of WJ
    Best Version of Sutton

Plus....Maulet can hit the bench on passing downs. And they can (maybe) move on from the Levi Wallace situation. I mean Maulet not being on the field on passing downs might be worth a higher draft pick....of course they will find some reason to keep sending him and Spillane out there to get worked over.
    Where does Pierre fit into all of this. Hmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Where does Pierre fit into all of this. Hmm...
    That’s the problem. Maybe just bench Witherspoon? It’s not like he’s played well. He’s known to be super inconsistent.

Sutton’s a pending FA. If Kackson plays well enough to keep, Sutton’s salary floor just hit $12 million.

It’s a potentially really odd move for the off-season.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

That’s the problem. Maybe just bench Witherspoon? It’s not like he’s played well. He’s known to be super inconsistent.

Sutton’s a pending FA. If Kackson plays well enough to keep, Sutton’s salary floor just hit $12 million.

It’s a potentially really odd move for the off-season.
    I think spoon has been dinged up all season and played that way and it showed ...

let spoon get healthy pair him with jackson on the outside kick sutton inside with Pierre and Wallace as your 4th and 5th CB I think thats a pretty damn solid (on paper) group of corners for playing man , Hell maybe even kick Levi in to Safety he is a decent enough tackler and not all that fast may be a decent SS if they cant get a deal done with Edmunds ....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think spoon has been dinged up all season and played that way and it showed ...

let spoon get healthy pair him with jackson on the outside kick sutton inside with Pierre and Wallace as your 4th and 5th CB I think thats a pretty damn solid (on paper) group of corners for playing man , Hell maybe even kick Levi in to Safety he is a decent enough tackler and not all that fast may be a decent SS if they cant get a deal done with Edmunds ....
    That sounds like a disaster for 2023…

On paper it is a decent to good idea.

BUT...Jackson is @$12 million per year for 2023. Sutton will need a new contract as his current deal expires at the end of the season. If the Steelers wanted to sign him, he's going to argue that he needs Jackson's contract to re-sign.

I like both Sutton and the Bengals version of Jackson, but not at $24 million for the pair.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

If Cam Sutton wants $12 million a year, I will say good luck and so long.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

It’s funny as the season goes in, the team is becoming more and more unstable, the holes in the roster are getting massive…

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If WJIII cones in and plays well, great trade. If not, meh.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

On paper it is a decent to good idea.

BUT...Jackson is @$12 million per year for 2023. Sutton will need a new contract as his current deal expires at the end of the season. If the Steelers wanted to sign him, he's going to argue that he needs Jackson's contract to re-sign.

I like both Sutton and the Bengals version of Jackson, but not at $24 million for the pair.
    12 million a year isnt what it used to be for a corner ...

top 10 paid corners in nfl now making (AAV per year)

JC Jackson 16.5 mil per year
    Byron Jones 16.5 mil per year
    Darius Slay 16.7 mil per year
    Tradavious White 17.3 mil per year
    Xavien Howard 18 mil per year
    Marlon Humphrey 19.5 mil per year
    Marshawn Lattimore 19.52 mil per year
    Jalen Ramsey 20 mil per year
    Denzel Ward 20.1 mil per year
    Jaire Alexander 21 mil per year

not saying any of these guys we are talking about are top 10 but .....
    22 cornerbacks now make at least $10 million in average annual salary per year, per overthecap.com (through July 25, 2022).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

he is likely worth it and will get it by someone based on current NFL paydays

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Agreed. I'm not arguing that Sutton should get paid that rate. But if WJIII is on the roster in the 2023 his contract becomes the new salary benchmark for the position group. Especially if Sutton ends up playing better. And based on the fact that Sutton has (dramatically) outplayed the other recycled CBs the team has brought in...he's likely going to do the same with Jackson. So why would he accept getting paid less?

It is a minor complaint. And if they simply cut WJIII then it isn't an issue. Or they could extend him and make his salary go down...likely all future Omar Khan's problem. But i think this trade is just a "meh" overall.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Agreed. I'm not arguing that Sutton should get paid that rate. But if WJIII is on the roster in the 2023 his contract becomes the new salary benchmark for the position group. Especially if Sutton ends up playing better. And based on the fact that Sutton has (dramatically) outplayed the other recycled CBs the team has brought in...he's likely going to do the same with Jackson. So why would he accept getting paid less?

It is a minor complaint. And if they simply cut WJIII then it isn't an issue. Or they could extend him and make his salary go down...likely all future Omar Khan's problem. But i think this trade is just a "meh" overall.
    Yeah, there's a reason they were willing to unload him basically for free. His contract is a mismatch with his production, big time. I don't know if he'll even help, but I guess I'm glad they're trying something.

That aside, I don't see anyone in our CB rotation who's worth a big contract. If this messes things up, that's unfortunate. Sutton may be the best-performing CB we've got at the moment, but if he asks for $12 million, that's a hard "the fuck outta here." You want to base your salary demands on what other people have done and not what you have done, that needs to be a very short conversation.

And it NEVER works out to pay someone a fortune because "who else do we have." Just don't do it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I agree with not paying guys just to pay them. But WJIII "breaks" the current salary structure in the secondary and that likely means he is a one year rental. And that is the other thing that makes this trade hard to figure.

I know that many don't like Steelers Depot. I have less of a problem with them than most and I really like Alex K's take on stuff. He has nailed it here, at least for me: https://steelersdepot.com/2022/11/wh...-james-pierre/

Honestly, I would be in favor of getting rid of Maulet, Witherspoon, Wallace, and WJII (unless he plays well AND wants to take less $$$), resigning Sutton, retaining Pierre, and handing a couple of draft picks big roles. The current CB room is slow, inconsistent, not that good in coverage, or some bad combination of all of those things. It is full of serviceable players when the pass rush is leading the league in sacks and pressures, but take away the monster rush up front, and these guys can't hold up.

Time to get new guys. Or at least get rid of Maulet and Witherspoon.

the issue with Witherspoon is health , he has been dinged all year and played dinged up , he isnt slow either 4.45 , no its not blazing but it is plenty fast to play corner stride for stride with AJ Brown with good coverage but was beat by ball placement ( while playing dinged up ) ...

we seen how a healthy spoon plays last year down the stretch when they let him on the field , was one of the best Corners in the league for that 6-7 game stretch

the issue with Witherspoon is health , he has been dinged all year and played dinged up , he isnt slow either 4.45 , no its not blazing but it is plenty fast to play corner stride for stride with AJ Brown with good coverage but was beat by ball placement ( while playing dinged up ) ...

we seen how a healthy spoon plays last year down the stretch when they let him on the field , was one of the best Corners in the league for that 6-7 game stretch
    I don't buy it. This is who Witherspoon is. Has all the physical tools you could want in a CB. But this is what he does. Plays well for a stretch of games. Then plays awful for a stretch of games. He's done this in like 3 or 4 different defenses/teams now. This is repeatedly who he has shown himself to be in the NFL. A wildly inconsistent player who can not be relied on to be starting CB.

I don't buy it. This is who Witherspoon is. Has all the physical tools you could want in a CB. But this is what he does. Plays well for a stretch of games. Then plays awful for a stretch of games. He's done this in like 3 or 4 different defenses/teams now. This is repeatedly who he has shown himself to be in the NFL. A wildly inconsistent player who can not be relied on to be starting CB.
    ummm ..........

he has only played games for 2 teams (can't count Seattle he never played for them ) so it would be really difficult to string games together both good and bad on three or four teams ..

but ok ...............

ummm ..........

he has only played games for 2 teams (can't count Seattle he never played for them ) so it would be really difficult to string games together both good and bad on three or four teams ..

but ok ...............
    Niners. Was moved between the field and the bench several times for being inconsistent.
    Seattle. Was so all over the place in their off-season programs and I think at least one preseason game that they went out and got other CBs to make sure he didn't play for them.
    Steelers. Looks good for a few games. Bad for a few games. Good for a couple. Bad for a stretch.

At this point it is how Witherspoon is as a player. He is wildly inconsistent guy with physical tools. He's in his 6th season. He is what he is. He is certainly not the top CB on a really good defense. Maybe a #2 or a #3. But hoping Witherspoon is just going to start locking guys up for 17 games week in and week out is not in line with what he has shown.

I agree with not paying guys just to pay them. But WJIII "breaks" the current salary structure in the secondary and that likely means he is a one year rental. And that is the other thing that makes this trade hard to figure.

I know that many don't like Steelers Depot. I have less of a problem with them than most and I really like Alex K's take on stuff. He has nailed it here, at least for me: https://steelersdepot.com/2022/11/wh...-james-pierre/

Honestly, I would be in favor of getting rid of Maulet, Witherspoon, Wallace, and WJII (unless he plays well AND wants to take less $$$), resigning Sutton, retaining Pierre, and handing a couple of draft picks big roles. The current CB room is slow, inconsistent, not that good in coverage, or some bad combination of all of those things. It is full of serviceable players when the pass rush is leading the league in sacks and pressures, but take away the monster rush up front, and these guys can't hold up.

Time to get new guys. Or at least get rid of Maulet and Witherspoon.
    I agree that we really do not have a whole lot to be hopeful about in our current group of CBs. Try to keep Sutton, maybe Jackson if he's good, and probably one more. I bet Witherspoon ends up on the roster again for a variety of reasons - "athleticism," "depth," "knows the system," all the standard stuff. Something will clearly have to be done about Jackson's contract if we want to keep him, this is true.

I'm all for adding more guys in the draft, but realistically what we will probably get is a second-rounder who isn't ready/doesn't play, and a fifth-rounder who sucks. If we are short one starter, the second-rounder will be injured in training camp and the fifth-rounder will be cut in training camp and playing for the Giants. So I hope we look at bringing in at least one guy through free agency if we are going to embark on a major tear-down and rebuild of the CB group, which is sorely needed.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

So where is Jackson in the depth chart?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

On IR....

Hahaha

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

the good news....

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar