Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Claypool traded to the Bears for a 2023 2nd Round Pick

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Claypool traded to the Bears for a 2023 2nd Round Pick

All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Top 3 all time in fail celebrations and getting outmuscled by 5'8 corners.
    He’s so good he tries to high point balls with his stomach because it’s just unfair to try and use his hands!
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I think everyone is so excited about how high the Bear's draft pick has become that they are forgetting how great Claypool was his rookie season. I also think most don't understand how good Claypool was this year with Trubisky throwing him the ball.

When targeting Chase Claypool, Trubisky's numbers were: 16/24, 66.7% completion percentage, 161 yards, 1 TD, 99.5 rating. Claypool became his go to guy in crucial situations of the game. He also did that when the offense around him was a complete shitshow.

Not bad for a guy everyone is trashing in this thread in a shitty offense where he was playing in the slot most of the time. Even JuJu wasn't doing shit in the slot in Canada's offense.

I wouldn't write Claypool off just yet, and he did more here than most are giving him credit for. Don't get me wrong, the trade couldn't have worked out any better. I just know the WR corp was better when he was here.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I think everyone is so excited about how high the Bear's draft pick has become that they are forgetting how great Claypool was his rookie season. I also think most don't understand how good Claypool was this year with Trubisky throwing him the ball.

When targeting Chase Claypool, Trubisky's numbers were: 16/24, 66.7% completion percentage, 161 yards, 1 TD, 99.5 rating. Claypool became his go to guy in crucial situations of the game. He also did that when the offense around him was a complete shitshow.

Not bad for a guy everyone is trashing in this thread in a shitty offense where he was playing in the slot most of the time. Even JuJu wasn't doing shit in the slot in Canada's offense.

I wouldn't write Claypool off just yet, and he did more here than most are giving him credit for. Don't get me wrong, the trade couldn't have worked out any better. I just know the WR corp was better when he was here.
    Of course WR group better when he was here. It was an investment, I think most get that. One step back, now two forward. The frustration was you’d expect a big leap in production going into years 2 and 3 but didn’t happen. In fairness it’s not like any WR’s getting TD’s.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The WR Corp was much much better when Claypool was here and while it looks like the trade couldn’t have worked out any better, it’s not about how the trade “looks” it’s now about what they do with that pick. It’s the unknown right now. I’d still lean towards having Claypool, DJ, Pickens in a competent offense with Pickett, Harris and Freiermuth over what may or may not be. It all depends on what they do with that “#33” (32) pick…there’s mostly good that comes out of the second round but there’s some clankers in there as well somewhere in the 60/40 range…so there’s a good chance that they bust out on one of the second round picks…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The WR Corp was much much better when Claypool was here and while it looks like the trade couldn’t have worked out any better, it’s not about how the trade “looks” it’s now about what they do with that pick. It’s the unknown right now. I’d still lean towards having Claypool, DJ, Pickens in a competent offense with Pickett, Harris and Freiermuth over what may or may not be. It all depends on what they do with that “#33” (32) pick…there’s mostly good that comes out of the second round but there’s some clankers in there as well somewhere in the 60/40 range…so there’s a good chance that they bust out on one of the second round picks…

essentially a 1st round pick with a night to sleep on the board on who is left ... I am betting its closer to a homerun than a bust ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Problem,Claypool is just not a slot WR and in the Canada offense, he was wasted....I mean Canada is not able to involve Pat and Pickens at the same time

Also, Claypool will be without a contract after 2023 and he has regressed since his rookie season...I didn't think it was possible to have a second round draft pick for him before this trade for his reasons

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I am starting to think the Claypool trade had more to do with attitude/goals then performance.

Claypool wants to be "the guy" and he thinks he can thrive in that role. The Steelers want Claypool to be a piece of the larger whole.
    His contract is up after 2023. Very little chance he signs up to be third behind DJ and Pickens. So he's leaving for no compensation after the 2023 season.

Steelers trade him while they still have "leverage". What until this off-season or during the 2023 season and teams are going to low-ball their offers based on Claypool's pending FA status. And also the chance that more time causes more of the bloom to come of that rookie season rose.

Raw talent, it made the roster worse. But it was the best trade they were going to be able to make for a player who was giving every indication that he wanted out.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

We won't really know how great the trade was until the Steelers use the #32 pick and we compare Claypool's career with that player's.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

claypool is trash, he's what you call big for nothing. he's 6'3 but plays like he's 5'6

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

essentially a 1st round pick with a night to sleep on the board on who is left ... I am betting its closer to a homerun than a bust ...
    Doesn’t mean the second second round one won’t be a bust. Just going if their draft history. Both could be great, both could be busts…

Doesn’t mean the second second round one won’t be a bust. Just going if their draft history. Both could be great, both could be busts…
    at least,it give us a chance

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    at least,it give us a chance
    Gives a great chance.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    claypool is trash, he's what you call big for nothing. he's 6'3 but plays like he's 5'6

Trash??

I guess you didn't watch the Steelers games earlier in the year when he was dragging multiple defenders for first downs and fighting for every yard.

5' 6" wide receivers don't do that.

If only #18 played with half that effort and toughness.

Trash??

I guess you didn't watch the Steelers games earlier in the year when he was dragging multiple defenders for first downs and fighting for every yard.

5' 6" wide receivers don't do that.

If only #18 played with half that effort and toughness.
    Yep he's trash. He lost a jump ball to a 5'9 corner. That's why he got traded. He made no difference in Chicago, probably even helped them get us the #1 pick in the 2nd round

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    Yep he's trash. He lost a jump ball to a 5'9 corner. That's why he got traded. He made no difference in Chicago, probably even helped them get us the #1 pick in the 2nd round

I didn't know you had that much inside information about the reason for the trade.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Imo, Claypool never developed his route running. He ran well after the catch, but you have to scheme him open and we all know how great Canada is at that.

Claypool went from being a solid deep threat and redzone option in his rookie season to not being able to create separation, win combat catches, or know when to adjust his route based on coverages.

In the right system I think he could be productive again, but this Matt Canada lead offense wasn't a fit, IMO.
    Last edited by RunNGun; 01-12-2023 at 08:10 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    this Matt Canada lead offense isn't a fit for anyone
    fixed it for you
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

there is no doubt claypools stats were effected by qb play and an aweful OC. but neither of those impacted his dropped balls and failure to play like a 6-4 , 235 lb , 4.4 - 40 receiver they drafted. looks like tarzan plays like janes.
    if the steelers dont hit a homerun with that pick they got, it still doesnt change the fact that was a trade only a fool would turn down. i'd still like to see em unload DJ with a similar trade. before anyone starts with the "best receiver, who else we got, blah , blah , blah....he aint worth the $20 million cap hit , and they were looking for a receiver when they found DJ, Pickens, etc, etc, etc. pickens needs to move into the #1 route option. he is everything everyone hoped claypool would be. mistake corrected.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Steelers get the top pick of the second round.

If it weren't for Seattle completely fleecing Denver, this would be the big robbery of 2022.
    Actually the biggest robbery of 2022 was Griner trade with Putin.

Steelers legend Hines Ward blasted Chase Claypool for his immaturity during his time in Pittsburgh. “With Chase, it became more about Chase and less about the team,” Ward said in a recent interview with Steelers Talk by Chat Sports. “The team comes first before any individual accolade. There is a little more of maturity level, he needs to grow up a little bit.” Although he was critical of Claypool, Ward did wish him the best of luck and wanted to see him succeed in Chicago.
    https://steelersnow.com/daily-links-...ward-claypool/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I am not saying that Ward is wrong. He may very well be right. But how would he know? He hasn't been on the staff since 2017. The WR and offensive coaching staff has turned over several times since Ward was last associated with the team, so he likely isn't chilling and talking shop with his old coaching buddies or whatever.

What does he know about Claypool besides what the rest of us know?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I am not saying that Ward is wrong. He may very well be right. But how would he know? He hasn't been on the staff since 2017. The WR and offensive coaching staff has turned over several times since Ward was last associated with the team, so he likely isn't chilling and talking shop with his old coaching buddies or whatever.

Ward has a history of talking out of turn.

On a side note, just imagine the beast Claypool would have been if he approached playing WR like Ward instead of being a marshmallow...

I think he was talking when Claypool wanted music in practice and stuff like that...He was talking about it and other thing during the super bowl week,so this is the video of this interview (13 minutes long)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLaNrNAejPE

It was at the 11th minutes of this video about Claypool....

He said from outside looking in. He’s pretty much describing what we all (here) have said…

I don’t think he’s claiming to know from an insiders standpoint. Although, I’m sure he knows a little bit about what happens with the Steelers. It’s not like he has been exiled or anything like that. He might keep in touch with Ben or Tomlin…we don’t know…

Good replies all. But I think all these former players showing up on radio row at the SB or randomly on social media and weighing in like they know something when they only know what everyone else can see from the outside is a jerk move.

Claypool may be all the negative things we have ascribed to him and more. But none of us really knows anything and neither does Ward.

Good replies all. But I think all these former players showing up on radio row at the SB or randomly on social media and weighing in like they know something when they only know what everyone else can see from the outside is a jerk move.

Claypool may be all the negative things we have ascribed to him and more. But none of us really knows anything and neither does Ward.
    Most of those players showing up on Radio row are there to plug a business venture, charity or something personal. They aren’t there to shoot the shit about their former teams…that just comes up in the line of questioning. It’s not like that is their purpose for being there. I’ve listened to a lot of them over the years on the talk shows during media week and not that many are dudes saying they just want to stop by to shoot the shit…

Most of those players showing up on Radio row are there to plug a business venture, charity or something personal. They aren’t there to shoot the shit about their former teams…that just comes up in the line of questioning. It’s not like that is their purpose for being there. I’ve listened to a lot of them over the years on the talk shows during media week and not that many are dudes saying they just want to stop by to shoot the shit…
    Sure. And a better response would’ve been “I don’t know”.

Sure. And a better response would’ve been “I don’t know”.
    I mean he’s only saying what is fans think anyway. Why would he say I don’t know if he has an opinion? It’s not like he’s got anything invested in Chase Claypool that he would need to be PC about it.