Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The O-line

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The O-line

We all know that this o-line needs to be improved, especially on the left side

What will be the realistic option in the free agency or draft for the Steelers to improve the left side?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: The O-line

Still blows my mind that Alan Faneca had 4 holding penalties over a 13-year career.

I’d be happy if they focused on the draft for the o-line. Maybe find a veteran in free agency on a one or two year deal.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think the O line is best improved via the draft.

I am skeptical of free agency providing significant upgrades. Daniels and Cole were high profile highly ranked FA OL. How good are either one, really? Good offensive lineman don't typically make it to FA and the few actually talented players that do will cost multiple truckloads of money.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

It’s my opinion we will pick up 2 more pieces for the OL this offseason and will be hunting a RT next year. The fact that they all stayed healthy and on the field together for the entire season was amazing. I doubt they can do that 2 seasons in a row. Quality backups to take over full time in 2024 is the floor of what we should bring in.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Pickett already has two concussions.

I think the offensive line should be our #1 priority this offseason.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The O-line

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Pickett already has two concussions.

I think the offensive line should be our #1 priority this offseason.
    Was two concussions confirmed? He was in protocol but that doesn’t necessarily mean he had a concussion both times…but I’m not sure…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That’s not verified. He was in protocol but that doesn’t necessarily mean he had a concussion both times.
    I think he had a concussion in the game vs Ravens since he did not play in the next game vs Panthers...But I agree for the game vs Bucs.I think he was out because of the Tua situation at this time

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Was two concussions confirmed? He was in protocol but that doesn’t necessarily mean he had a concussion both times…but I’m not sure…
    I think he only had one. When you are back as a FP in practice on Wednesday, you didn’t have an actual concussion.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I am really curious to know how they assign these sacks, since our starting OL apparently only gave up 16 and we allowed 38 total. Were the other 22 just nobody's fault? Or is it one of those stats like "passes defensed" where the DB breaks up 50 passes over the course of a season and they give him credit for like 4, even though it's obvious there were a ton more and they're just using some crackhead way of counting them.

Anyway, as I've said before, I'd like to see us add someone at OL, but not with our first pick unless we see a real David DeCastro situation that makes it impossible not to. Too many other places we likely need to replenish, including DL, ILB, DB. A good player at any of those will have twice the impact of any offensive lineman.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I am really curious to know how they assign these sacks, since our starting OL apparently only gave up 16 and we allowed 38 total. Were the other 22 just nobody's fault? Or is it one of those stats like "passes defensed" where the DB breaks up 50 passes over the course of a season and they give him credit for like 4, even though it's obvious there were a ton more.

Anyway, as I've said before, I'd like to see us add someone at OL, but not with our first pick unless we see a real David DeCastro situation that makes it impossible not to. Too many other places we likely need to replenish, including DL, ILB, DB. A good player at any of those will have twice the impact of any offensive lineman.
    Maybe this is not the fault of the o-line when this is a coverage sacks?...I don't know and this is a very good question

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

There are articles after each game detailing how they count every sack. I think there was a summary article at season’s end as well.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Everything coming out of Pittsburgh is all positive about growth and getting better and momentum. I expect the Online will be gone the way of Canada .

Likely a late round inside guy who can swing yo all positions and be good and none of them

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I am really curious to know how they assign these sacks, since our starting OL apparently only gave up 16 and we allowed 38 total. Were the other 22 just nobody's fault? Or is it one of those stats like "passes defensed" where the DB breaks up 50 passes over the course of a season and they give him credit for like 4, even though it's obvious there were a ton more and they're just using some crackhead way of counting them.

In Alex's "System" Some sacks are the fault of the QB or the OC or RB or even Defensive scheme (no idea how he comes up w/that). The breakdown is in the article,

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The sacks given up by each lineman were when they were in clear situations where they were solely responsible for blocking a pass rusher that got to the quarterback.

I'm guessing the other sacks are on blitzes. Backs are responsible for picking up blitzers, or it is the responsibility of the quarterback to account for the unblocked rushers because the defense sends more rushers than can be blocked.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/12/st...k-breakdown-5/

Here is an example of what Alex does every week during the season. I am not saying he is always right or there may not be room to argue with his designations. But it is a clear and consistent system that is transparent and backed by detailed video clips each week.

Regardless of how you want to count up the sacks, QB, LT, and LG (in some order) were the glaring problems in pass protection last season.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

You don’t need some basement bloggers breakdown to know there’s a problem on the O-Line with sacks…if you’ve watched three games in any order it’s pretty obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

One of the first 3 picks will surely be OL. If they're building this team around Kenny they need to keep him protected.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

You don’t need some basement bloggers breakdown to know there’s a problem on the O-Line with sacks…if you’ve watched three games in any order it’s pretty obvious.
    I didn't say you did or did not.

There was a question on the table of how the sacks were counted up and whatnot.

The details are very readily available and I think that Alex's breakdown of each sack after every game is the most detailed and complete for the Steelers I am aware of.

All I wanted to do was provide and example of how things were being done, since there was a question if the counting was accurate and useful.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Curious how many times Najee or Watt helped Moore out. Obviously not the six times he gave up sacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Curious how many times Najee or Watt helped Moore out. Obviously not the six times he gave up sacks.
    A lot likely according to this

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

Moore needed more help

And the Steelers need a new LT,

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Moore needed more help

And the Steelers need a new LT,
    he needed moore help
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    he needed moore help

canada needs moore help!

canada needs moore help!
    I could use some professional help while I’m watching that offense on TV.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

I don't think we want Dan Moore or Chuks on an island. I think that would be an even worse offensive plan than what we have seen so far.

Senior Member Array title="Dreegking will become famous soon enough">

Ya. Rounds 4 and 5. And that’s good.

Not a weakness or a need. Both Moore and Dotson were playing much better the se of. Half of the season

not worried about the Oline at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm. I disagree. Not surely. I don’t think there’s a bunch of good Oline man this year. And I can’t see them going round 1 or 2. So I doubt they go 3 then. As other teams have greater need and the better ones will be plucked. They will do what the Steelers do. Groom. They like their starters now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreegking View Post
    Ya. Rounds 4 and 5. And that’s good.

Not a weakness or a need. Both Moore and Dotson were playing much better the se of. Half of the season

not worried about the Oline at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm. I disagree. Not surely. I don’t think there’s a bunch of good Oline man this year. And I can’t see them going round 1 or 2. So I doubt they go 3 then. As other teams have greater need and the better ones will be plucked. They will do what the Steelers do. Groom. They like their starters now.
    I still think the Steelers draft an OT early in this draft. They will be caught without a starting RT next offseason if they don't.

IF...the Steelers ran 4-5 wide spread sets and just let KP pick his spots, Maybe the OL can hold up for those 3ish seconds. Defenses will have to dedicate more to coverage thus less pass rush. I think that could work with KP's arm and the level of talent with the offensive weapons. With CA3's speed defenses would need to keep a safety back as well. Would be a different look Steelers for sure.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Darnell Washington would sure be a help.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Darnell Washington would sure be a help.

Another tight end?

Actually, I can see them taking a TE late. This is a loaded class. Even if they looked at a guy like Brent Strange. Not huge, but great effort blocker on the perimeter. Above average speed with real ability.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Another tight end?

Actually, I can see them taking a TE late. This is a loaded class. Even if they looked at a guy like Brent Strange. Not huge, but great effort blocker on the perimeter. Above average speed with real ability.
    It is indeed.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/TE/1/2023