Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Claypool traded to the Bears for a 2023 2nd Round Pick

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Claypool traded to the Bears for a 2023 2nd Round Pick

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    This is what will be his downfall…he’s now let one fan favorite and most dependable receiver walk and now let, possibly, the next most dependable receiver walk. The arrogance that they can keep drafting receivers is going to eventually hire them in the ass.
    I still waiting for that some national media to call Tomlin out for that!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Tomlin probably got tired of Claypool asking to play music during practices...

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Juju was expected to step up and become a #1 receiver after Brown left, and never materialized. Claypool likewise. We don't have a true #1 receiver, and never had one since Antonio Brown left. The fact that Juju is the #2 guy in Kansas City proves it. Even if he's doing better (good for him), he's their #2 receiver.

I expect the same from Claypool. Not a #1 guy but being moved to a system that lets him use his strengths better.

The fact that we're just shipping Claypool out and Canada is still employed is just re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. You can put Montana and Rice in this offense and they would still suck hard. Matt Canada is a tool and I can't stand him.
    JuJu is the number 1 WR of the chiefs right now and their second option overall even if he is still new in their team.....The Steelers have wasted the talent of JuJu and several other players on offense since 2019 because of their poor offensive system...Very poor

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So after a bit to think about it, I can see a great deal of benefit and value to both trades the team made yesterday. Honestly, if anything, it was a season or two too late. I will point out that it is a bet of potentially treading water though.

Take a look at the WR room for 2023:
    Johnson
    Pickens
    Austin
    Sims?
    Boykin (ST's only)
    OPEN

That's basically only 2.5 or 3 NFL caliber WRs. So....wanna bet that either the Bears pick or the Steelers original 2 becomes a WR? Especially because they don't have the body types they seem to like in the WR room right now. They have had their WRs blocking a lot and running a hihg % of 3 WR sets. DJ, Sims, Gunner, Austin, etc. aren't blocking anyone. Pickens can only play one position at a time...they're going to need someone else.

Also....I want to bang my head against a wall on the Sims issue. We had to deal with McCloud and Gunner when Sims was sitting right there the whole time. I've never understood why they didn't give him a look sooner. Oh well. It is here now.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Also....I want to bang my head against a wall on the Sims issue. We had to deal with McCloud and Gunner when Sims was sitting right there the whole time. I've never understood why they didn't give him a look sooner. Oh well. It is here now.
    Interesting read on Sims, coming out of college.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/5/5/1...s-jr-wr-kansas

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Bears fans on the radio excited about getting a true #1 WR in this trade. A stat they have thrown out is Claypool has more ‘tight window’ catches than any other WR in the NFL this season. Sounds like win-win to me.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

"A true number one"

One team's trash is another team's treasure.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Well, there was no chance he was getting Pickens spot.

Don't think he ever had the speed to be an outside guy. He'll have to develop his moves and route running to pull it off, or just become the king of 50/50 balls.

Not sure what they are expecting... Brandon Marshall?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Interesting read on Sims, coming out of college.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/5/5/1...s-jr-wr-kansas
    I knew nothing about him before he had like one random good stretch of games with the WFT and then they let him go and he washed up in Pittsburgh. He can certainly fly and this is a relatively slow team overall so that could help. Assuming they let him on the field and don't just split up Claypools snaps between Gunner, Gentry, and Heyward the Younger.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Johnson
    Pickens
    Austin
    Sims?
    Boykin (ST's only)
    OPEN
    Yikes. That’s not a promising WR room…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

It will be the excuse for Matt Canada in 2023!

It is not. But I just listened to a podcast over lunch and due to some CBA stuff related to playing time for younger players, Claypool was going to be making $3.7 million dollars next year. No ifs ands or buts about it. That makes moving on for him for his original round pick just so much more understandable.

It also gives them clarity in the WR roles. Johnson is the X. Pickens is the Z down the field. And Sims/Austin is the undersized hope you don't break but faster than greased snot Y.

Unfortunately they have absolutely no depth. So a bargain bin FA that they will forget about halfway through the season and 2 draft picks?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Johnson
    Pickens
    Austin
    Sims?
    Boykin (ST's only)
    OPEN
    I don't think that room is as bad as some think it is ....

Add in a mid round selection in 2023 ...

Austin was down right dirty in college if that translates and he gets healthy he is going to be a absolute NIGHTMARE to try and defend and I think Boykin is better than most here are willing to admit he just hasnt had a decent qb to throw to him and now he is in a system that would make Jerry Rice look like Dri Archer
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It is not. But I just listened to a podcast over lunch and due to some CBA stuff related to playing time for younger players, Claypool was going to be making $3.7 million dollars next year. No ifs ands or buts about it. That makes moving on for him for his original round pick just so much more understandable.

It also gives them clarity in the WR roles. Johnson is the X. Pickens is the Z down the field. And Sims/Austin is the undersized hope you don't break but faster than greased snot Y.

Unfortunately they have absolutely no depth. So a bargain bin FA that they will forget about halfway through the season and 2 draft picks?
    Sims and Austin…if they are relying on that, they’re in big trouble…

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I don't think that room is as bad as some think it is ....

Add in a mid round selection in 2023 ...

Austin was down right dirty in college if that translates and he gets healthy he is going to be a absolute NIGHTMARE to try and defend and I think Boykin is better than most here are willing to admit he just hasnt had a decent qb to throw to him and now he is in a system that would make Jerry Rice look like Dri Archer
    Agreed. I'm sure they will look at some solid WRs in free agency, as well. I could see a Juju return to the Burgh as a possibility. I don't believe the Chiefs can afford to pay him and the Steelers should have some money to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Agreed. I'm sure they will look at some solid WRs in free agency, as well. I could see a Juju return to the Burgh as a possibility. I don't believe the Chiefs can afford to pay him and the Steelers should have some money to play with.
    I don't think JuJu will want to be back unless the steelers have some major change and obvious improvement in our offense

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I don't think JuJu will want to be back unless the steelers have some major change and obvious improvement in our offense
    You're probably right, but he seemed loyal to Pittsburgh when he was playing on that team friendly one year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    You're probably right, but he seemed loyal to Pittsburgh when he was playing on that team friendly one year deal.
    I agree and I am sure he still love Pittsburgh but at some point,a player like to be in a good situation to product...The current situation of the steelers offense is maybe the worst in the NFL right now

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

all of the talk about WRs means nothing if you only going to make 5 yard or less passes .
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

Why would he want to come back? There’s nothing in Pittsburgh that’s positive and there’s not an offense where he can grow. I’d actually be disappointed for him if he did come back. Things would have to change majorly first.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Why would he want to come back? There’s nothing in Pittsburgh that’s positive and there’s not an offense where he can grow. I’d actually be disappointed for him if he did come back. Things would have to change majorly first.

Exactly. They run a shitty offense. They would want to put him in the slot again. He wouldn't produce again because he's in the slot in a shitty offense. They then blame him for lack of production again, and use that as leverage to pay him next to nothing.

Stay with Mahomes and Andy Reid's offense JuJu.

He must feel like he escaped a Canadian prison!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I agree and I am sure he still love Pittsburgh but at some point,a player like to be in a good situation to product...The current situation of the steelers offense is maybe the worst in the NFL right now
    Correct. If JuJu came back just because he loves the town and the fans, he's done. The only way to advance in his career is to play in a 'real' offense. That's not what we have currently.

I’ll go on record now that one of their two second round picks is a wideout.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

statistically speaking there is no "maybe's" about it ... they are dead ass last in most catagories

It was my point too!

It was my point too!
    Maybe if the OC changed and the WR coach…

Maybe if the OC changed and the WR coach…
    I think the entire offensive staff need to be changed...And I am not sold on Pickett even if this is very hard to judge him right now since he is such in a bad situation

I think the entire offensive staff need to be changed...And I am not sold on Pickett even if this is very hard to judge him right now since he is such in a bad situation
    Yeah. If they are in the Top-3, I draft a QB and trade Pickett to someone like the Vikings for a second round pick and move on.

I’ll go on record now that one of their two second round picks is a wideout.

hard to argue the 2nd and 3rd round seems to be the normal target range for this team and WR's

George Pickens
    Chase Claypool
    Diontae Johnson
    James Washington
    JuJu Smith-Schuster
    Sammie Coates
    Markus Wheaton
    Emmanuel Sanders
    Mike Wallace
    Willie Reid
    Antwaan Randle El

so round 2-3 would be a good guess

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

The trade doesn't make sense unless the Steelers address the OL or DL with the pick. Steelers have taken a WR or TE in the 2nd in 5 of the last 6 drafts.

This doesn't help Pickett this year and probably won't next year either. It seems like Tomlin has paid absolutely no attention to bringing along a rookie QB. None of the parts of a team that help a rookie QB are in place: top OL, top running game, top defense, reliable receivers.

This is why rookie QBs fail so hard on bad teams.