Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Claypool traded to the Bears for a 2023 2nd Round Pick

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Claypool traded to the Bears for a 2023 2nd Round Pick

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Same.

This makes me have other super angry thoughts about WRs though. Almost certainly means either the mighty midget or Sims (please let it be Sims) is the new slot WR. If that is the case, why wasn't Sims playing before this season? Like that period last season where they didn't have enough capable WRs...why not try him then? It would seem (giant leap on my part) that he's your new starting slot WR now. Did he get all that much better in one off-season?

Be interesting to see what Claypool does as a Bear. If he ever puts it together, he could be a monster with like zero competition for targets in that offense.
    I remember a certain someone saying they couldn't even get a 4th for Claypool. 2nd round pick for Claypool is a good move. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Once upon a time, the Bears had "Sweetness."

Now they have "Softness."

I think they'll see a difference.

On a side note, a 2nd round pick for a 6'4" WR who plays like he's 5'8" is a really good deal.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I remember a certain someone saying they couldn't even get a 4th for Claypool. 2nd round pick for Claypool is a good move. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
    I did say that and I don't have a problem with saying it.

The Bears over-paid. There is a version of Claypool based on physical traits that is super worth a second round pick. The guy currently running routes in his jersey is not.

Maybe the Bears move him back outside and he flourishes?

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Guess Boykin gets work in the offense now...

With Gunner and Sims probably getting more snaps, Canada probably sees this as an opportunity to call more jet sweeps and reverses.
    But can they throw a left-handed pass on a jet sweep like Claypool?

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I did say that and I don't have a problem with saying it.

The Bears over-paid. There is a version of Claypool based on physical traits that is super worth a second round pick. The guy currently running routes in his jersey is not.

Maybe the Bears move him back outside and he flourishes?
    Claypool is a freak, but he can't run routes and he never developed chemistry with any of the QBs because they couldn't trust him to be where he needed to be. If he ever figures that part of the game out he could be a good WR.

I don't view him as an outside WR. Usually those guys are the ones who create separation. He can't do that.

They definitely overpaid and I love it.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I understand why the Steelers made this trade. They are getting a high second round pick for a player that hasn't had a huge role in the offense. They got pretty good value for him, so I get it.

What I don't understand is that in recent weeks, he has been the guy that Pickett looks for in third down situations or when he's running for his life. There appeared to be some chemistry building between the two. Also, Claypool was getting tough yards, running hard and dragging people to get first downs. That is now gone. Who's going to get those yards now... Diontae Johnson???

The other thing that bothers me is that this is a guy that had 11 touchdowns as a rookie. They fell in love with Diontae Johnson, and forced Claypool to play in the slot, a role that he had never played before. He clearly struggled to learn the position quickly, and his production is way down in a hooooooorible offense.

The most concerning thing of all is that the team never figured out how to use him. Somehow, they made him an NFL sensation in a different offense with a different OC......but the dopes running the show now can't figure out how to use him????? What the flying f@%k is this team doing? If they don't fix the problem with the people misusing the talent and designing bad offenses, it won't matter who they draft.

Since his rookie season, Claypool has the fifth most receiving yards on tight window throws in the NFL. That doesn't sound like a guy that there isn't a need for with a rookie QB. You find a way to get the most out of a player and adjust scheme to fit the talent in the room.

I'm hoping that they can turn these picks into great players. I hope Omar Khan nails this upcoming draft and the team turns it around. I just hope that they solve the bigger issues that are holding this team down. Chase Claypool was a symptom caused by the current lack of coaching, offensive design, and being forced into a role he didn't fit by men that don't appear to understand offensive football at an NFL level.

I suspect Claypool is going to thrive in Chicago, and that his talents will be more apparent and cultivated there.

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

I thought this was an April Fools joke come way late or something.

I APPROVE of the trade. Not that I like that Claypool is ultimately a miss for us. He could have, should have, and may eventually be a monster.....somewhere. But not here, not trapped in our crappy offense. And we need rebuilding capital. An under performing WR for a 2nd when we need to rebuild? Yes please, and thank you.

And yeah, we are wholesale rebuilding, imo. This year will have some good games in there....somewhere....... but end of the day I don't see how they can get their act together and overcome all the hurdles that have to be competitive this year. Nope. This year is drink beer, eat chips, enjoy that there is a game on type year. Same old Steelers. Return of the 80's. You know the drill.

I figure the real question is how long will they have to "rebuild". Hopefully they can make a few more clutch trades like this, draft well, and be back on their feet in a year or two. Not looking forward to a decade of stagnation.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Claypool was vocal about this offense sucking , I'm guessing he asked for a trade and they said sure and at that point proceeded to offer him to teams with shitty offenses ( just not as shitty as ours ) to say you wanted a trade there ya go have at it hope you are happy ... if Bears continue to play as they have ( like us really shitty) then we get more out of Claypool than we originally paid and we paid him min money in the process ( rookie deal )

I like it
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Claypool traded to the Bears for a 2023 2nd Round Pick

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I understand why the Steelers made this trade. They are getting a high second round pick for a player that hasn't had a huge role in the offense. They got pretty good value for him, so I get it.

What I don't understand is that in recent weeks, he has been the guy that Pickett looks for in third down situations or when he's running for his life. There appeared to be some chemistry building between the two. Also, Claypool was getting tough yards, running hard and dragging people to get first downs. That is now gone. Who's going to get those yards now... Diontae Johnson???

The other thing that bothers me is that this is a guy that had 11 touchdowns as a rookie. They fell in love with Diontae Johnson, and forced Claypool to play in the slot, a role that he had never played before. He clearly struggled to learn the position quickly, and his production is way down in a hooooooorible offense.

The most concerning thing of all is that the team never figured out how to use him. Somehow, they made him an NFL sensation in a different offense with a different OC......but the dopes running the show now can't figure out how to use him????? What the flying f@%k is this team doing? If they don't fix the problem with the people misusing the talent and designing bad offenses, it won't matter who they draft.

Since his rookie season, Claypool has the fifth most receiving yards on tight window throws in the NFL. That doesn't sound like a guy that there isn't a need for with a rookie QB. You find a way to get the most out of a player and adjust scheme to fit the talent in the room.

I'm hoping that they can turn these picks into great players. I hope Omar Khan nails this upcoming draft and the team turns it around. I just hope that they solve the bigger issues that are holding this team down. Chase Claypool was a symptom caused by the current lack of coaching, offensive design, and being forced into a role he didn't fit by men that don't appear to understand offensive football at an NFL level.

I suspect Claypool is going to thrive in Chicago, and that his talents will be more apparent and cultivated there.
    Second time now…take Claypool out and insert JuJu and you have the exact same story…

Don’t need JuJu they have Claypool. Don’t need Claypool, they have Boykin…lol. Okay…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Boykin is not an NFL receiver. He's great on ST, but he's no WR.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The steelers have only 2 NFL caliber WR in their roster at this point....Maybe they will run the ball more often in the second half?.....Of course they need to be much better(and need more Warren too)

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Second time now…take Claypool out and insert JuJu and you have the exact same story…

Don’t need JuJu they have Claypool. Don’t need Claypool, they have Boykin…lol. Okay…

Yep. We were told by many here that JuJu can't play anymore. He's not even a #2 WR. Good riddance!

He looks a little better in a real NFL offense, when every pass isn’t within 2 yards of the LOS. Playing in the slot in this offense is NFL purgatory.

I can't say it enough times. It's the system stupid!

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Yep. We were told by many here that JuJu can't play anymore. He's not even a #2 WR. Good riddance!

He looks a little better in a real NFL offense, when every pass isn’t within 2 yards of the LOS. Playing in the slot in this offense is NFL purgatory.

100%! The Steelers weren't capable of developing or utilizing Claypool properly.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

The Bears traded Roquan Smith for a second round pick. Then we got a 2nd round pick for Claypool.

I wish we just straight up traded Claypool for Smith. Then we could just let Bush walk next year.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Juju was expected to step up and become a #1 receiver after Brown left, and never materialized. Claypool likewise. We don't have a true #1 receiver, and never had one since Antonio Brown left. The fact that Juju is the #2 guy in Kansas City proves it. Even if he's doing better (good for him), he's their #2 receiver.

I expect the same from Claypool. Not a #1 guy but being moved to a system that lets him use his strengths better.

The fact that we're just shipping Claypool out and Canada is still employed is just re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. You can put Montana and Rice in this offense and they would still suck hard. Matt Canada is a tool and I can't stand him.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

On the trade ONLY...

I had said earlier I would start with asking for a 2nd and 4th, only because of some of the crazy stuff teams have been getting for players in trade. A 2nd with the Bears is still a pretty good return for a WR we weren't extending anyway. I really wish Claypool had worked out but I said the same about Martavius too. I honestly don't think this will hurt the team this season or next season, and then he would be a free agent. We're not shipping Claypool out, we are trading him for value. If he goes on to a HoF career with the Bears then good for him.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Got more for Claypool than we did for AB.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Got more for Claypool than we did for AB.
    got more than what we initially paid too bears 2nd round pick is not gonna be pick 17 in round 2 ... good chance its a top 40 selection in entire draft

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Juju was expected to step up and become a #1 receiver after Brown left, and never materialized. Claypool likewise. We don't have a true #1 receiver, and never had one since Antonio Brown left. The fact that Juju is the #2 guy in Kansas City proves it. Even if he's doing better (good for him), he's their #2 receiver.

I expect the same from Claypool. Not a #1 guy but being moved to a system that lets him use his strengths better.

The fact that we're just shipping Claypool out and Canada is still employed is just re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. You can put Montana and Rice in this offense and they would still suck hard. Matt Canada is a tool and I can't stand him.
    Who said JuJu was supposed to be the number one receiver in Pittsburgh? JuJu is considered the number one in KC although KC kinda doesn’t really have a number one…but JuJu is considered the number one.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
    100%! The Steelers weren't capable of developing or utilizing Claypool properly.
    Tried him as a deep threat. He can't high-point passes and loses jump balls to guys smaller than he is.

Tried as an intermediate threat. He runs sloppy routes.

Tried him in the slot. He's too slow and doesn't use his size.

Claypool may go to a team and coach that can teach him to use his size, but it isn't here.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

well there goes our shot at the superbowl this year ...

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Claypool initially looked like megatron, but lately has been closer to Limas Sweed. Martavis was better and Steelers got less from Raiders. Although he had personal issues so not apples to apples. Considering his production a good trade, possibly benefit both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Tried him as a deep threat. He can't high-point passes and loses jump balls to guys smaller than he is.

Tried as an intermediate threat. He runs sloppy routes.

Tried him in the slot. He's too slow and doesn't use his size.

Claypool may go to a team and coach that can teach him to use his size, but it isn't here.

What did they try him as when he had 11 touchdowns as a rookie? That's what everyone needs to be asking.

He had no problem high pointing the ball and being a red zone nightmare for defenses.

They saw what he did well, and let him do it. He crushed it for the team. He didn't have a ton of time at the position and wasn't really ever developed in running routes or reading defenses with limited time in high-end football in high school and in college. Then Ben went down. Then they kept moving him around to different WR positions. Then they change the offense again. Then they move him to the slot, which he has never played before and has a completely different skillset....and there is a ton to learn running routes based on coverage, developing chemistry with the QB and getting a real feel for where to stop versus zone and when to continue his route. He also struggled with things that should be easily taught like learning to stop pushing a route upfield in certain situations when he should have been flattening the route to create more separation and make easier throws for his QB.

There are a ton of questions to be asked. Maybe much of this is on him, but I know that the team didn't maximize his skills or scheme things to help him succeed after his rookie season. It certainly didn't help the team succeed either. I can understand some of this if other guys were tearing it up and the team was winning like crazy, but that hasn't been the case.

I'm happy the team got a good draft pick for him, and I hope the team crushes it in this upcoming draft.

I will still be hoping for his personal success in Chicago, just as I am happy for JuJu in Kansas City.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

What scares me most is there seems like there’s an arrogant feeling like any receiver can be replaced because “the Steelers know how to draft receivers”. Eventually there’s garbage that is selected and that actually happens way more frequently than people realize with this team…it’s gonna bite them in the ass…

James Washington
    Demarcus Ayers
    Sammie Coates
    Dri Archer
    Markus Wheaton
    Justin Brown
    Toney Clemons

There’s more misses than hits since 2010…

Antonio Brown
    Martavis Bryant
    JuJu Smith-Schuster
    Diontae Johnson
    Chase Claypool

Not to mention the free agents that don’t really workout…
    This doesnt get talked about enough. But i think we can let some of these late round picks like Demarcus Ayers off the hook. All that being said, we still got a kings ransom for Claypool showing zip this season outside of the Bucs game and STILL getting back likely a superior 2nd round pick than what was used on him. Ill take that any day
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

he has been vocal about this offense ( who can blame him we all have been too ) so yeah that might be considered a distraction ...

truth be told I would be more concerned if players were not vocal and disgusted ...

Tomlin wants yes men not independent thinkers apparently

Tomlin wants yes men not independent thinkers apparently
    This is what will be his downfall…he’s now let one fan favorite and most dependable receiver walk and now let, possibly, the next most dependable receiver walk. The arrogance that they can keep drafting receivers is going to eventually hire them in the ass.