Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Cowher on Pittsburgh and their struggles(and on the Steelers handling of Kenny Pickett)

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Bill Cowher on Pittsburgh and their struggles(and on the Steelers handling of Kenny Pickett)

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Bill Cowher on Pittsburgh and their struggles(and on the Steelers handling of Kenny Pickett)

1987 called. It would like to offer Cowher a job coaching their expansion team.

In all seriousness, he makes a great point in isolation. They should play defense and run the ball. It would be an ideal situation and an excellent plan for insulating KP. But has he seen the Steelers run the ball? They are awful at it. It isn't like they don't try. They are incapable of successfully running the ball. KP is throwing the ball so much because that is the only marginally effective bit of offense they can mount.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Bill Cowher on Pittsburgh and their struggles(and on the Steelers handling of Kenny Pickett)

He's right, but we don't have the properly built team to do it, nor the coaching staff to pull it off.

Najee Harris is not Jerome Bettis. Diontae Johnson is not Hines Ward. And our Offensive Line is not good. Mike Tomlin isn't Bill Cowher, and Matt Canada is not Ken Whisenhunt, nor is he any NFL caliber coordinator by any measure.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

The linemen can’t hold their blocks for long, Warrens running style works better right now than Harris’s. Harris is kind of like Bell, but we don’t have the line for that stuff - also see they don’t know how to use a FB

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

When our only touchdown of the day can come as a result of a trick play. That probably tells you the quarterback isn't the problem with your offense.

When the Steelers finished with a 6-10 record in 2003, the Steelers were 31st in rushing yards and the year after Cowher returned to the basics and had a real commitment to run the ball more and much better. .It didn't handcuffed our passing game since the steelers were among the leaders for the big play in the passing game in the NFL in 2004 and they had a true identity

Right now this offense have no identity

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

the list of problems with this team is lengthy , but it all starts with Canada . it was that way week 1 and it is still that way ...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

Right now this offense have no identity

see I disagree they have an identity alright ... that identity is dumpster fire

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    the list of problems with this team is lengthy , but it all starts with Canada . it was that way week 1 and it is still that way ...

- - - Updated - - -

Canada is gone 100% after this season. Unfortunately we will ride him out the rest of the way because Rooney is cheap and doesn't want to pay someone for being on the vouch.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Cowher didn't say running the ball will equal wins. He was saying this is a team in transition and running the ball is how you shorten the game so the defense is playing fewer snaps, the rookie QB isn't taking as many sacks, and there is less put on the QB so he doesn't lose his confidence. Same thing most of us on here have been saying as well. Same thing that was supposed to be the offensive focus for the past 3 offseasons.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

Was the problem in 2020 and 2019.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Cowher didn't say running the ball will equal wins. He was saying this is a team in transition and running the ball is how you shorten the game so the defense is playing fewer snaps, the rookie QB isn't taking as many sacks, and there is less put on the QB so he doesn't lose his confidence. Same thing most of us on here have been saying as well. Same thing that was supposed to be the offensive focus for the past 3 offseasons.
    Yeah, but NFL coaches don't actually think in those terms, and fans even less so. How many possessions of run, run, pass, punt would we have to see before we wanted to kill everyone involved?

I'm not really worried about Pickett's confidence. If this is a wasted season I want him getting as much experience in different situations as possible.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Yeah, but NFL coaches don't actually think in those terms, and fans even less so. How many possessions of run, run, pass, punt would we have to see before we wanted to kill everyone involved?

I'm not really worried about Pickett's confidence. If this is a wasted season I want him getting as much experience in different situations as possible.
    Agreed, if he loses his confidence this season, he wasn’t going to be better than average anyway. Also, I am sure everyone on the team can see that the OC is a moron that has zero business sitting in that chair. I know why he is in the booth, if he were on the sidelines he would be attacked by the team.

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    When our only touchdown of the day can come as a result of a trick play. That probably tells you the quarterback isn't the problem with your offense.
    did you see how Canada was all fist bumping happy as shit after that trick play . like yea look thats my offense right there look at that ... ok Canada we also see the other 50 plays your offense sucked
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

Quote Originally Posted by T&B fan View Post
    did you see how Canada was all fist bumping happy as shit after that trick play . like yea look thats my offense right there look at that ... ok Canada we also see the other 50 plays your offense sucked
    Exactly, what a complete asshat

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

IF they had a real OC they would be able to scheme better for the run than they do. We've got tight ends that can block...we've got a decent size fullback and 2 running backs...a power back and a speed back. Najee shouldn't be doin a dance. He should just pick a whole and go...He's got the power. If he gets 2 full steps of momentum he becomes hard to take down. I live outside of Philly. No one thought Sirianni had a clue here and he came in and decided the Eagles were gonna run the ball and they didn't have anyone of note to do it....they didn't previously have an O-line that people thought would be able to do it. They ran their ass off last season...they run well now. They get ahead and then throw when they choose. Get Canada out of there...make it easier on your QB with some adjustments to the scheme and go from there. They're NOT going to have any success doing what they've been doing, so there is nothing to lose.
    Last edited by pepsyman1; 10-31-2022 at 02:19 AM.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Basically what they did in 2004 and even in 2010 was focus on the run game. Both teams had good defenses though. Even in 2010, the oline sucked but they were able to have a good running game on offense and Arians wasn't scared to stretch the field every once in a while. This OC is the king of -5 yard routes and rollout passes to the slowest dude on the team.

I think our OL needs a bit more upgrading before we can rely on the run game, but I see your point.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I think our OL needs a bit more upgrading before we can rely on the run game, but I see your point.
    They need the ineligible receiver downfield penalty drilled in their skulls. Yeah, they definitely need an upgrade

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Shorten the game for him? Can it get any shorter or more simple?

The Steelers are unable to run the ball. The O-line is very poor.

There is no coaching.

Their defense is average.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Their defense is average.

I think this part is wrong , I think this def is well above average , I think the issue is you could put a pro bowl team on the field playing def and if they are on the field the bulk of the game they will falter too your asking way to much of this def (or any defense) the offense is bottom of the barrel in almost every statistic that matters (including 3 and outs) giving your defense almost no time to catch their breath
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think this part is wrong , I think this def is well above average , I think the issue is you could put a pro bowl team on the field playing def and if they are on the field the bulk of the game they will falter too your asking way to much of this def (or any defense) the offense is bottom of the barrel in almost every statistic that matters (including 3 and outs) giving your defense almost no time to catch their breath
    The scheme is average and dated…both the Bills and Eagles proved that in convincing ways…

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The scheme is average and dated…both the Bills and Eagles proved that in convincing ways…
    True....This is outdated since at least 10 years.They give up on average 40 points per game in the playoffs in their 4 last games

Senior Member Array title="Buckinnuts is on a distinguished road"> Buckinnuts's Avatar

Don't believe confidence will go away on KP, need online upgrade asap...and bring in Mark Whipple as oc...

KNOCKIN ON 7'S DOOR!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

^^^THIS^^^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    BILLS: Thisxshiwed the value of Edmunds. That 98 yarder is a prime example.

EAGLES: AJ Brown came down with spectacular TD catches. Our DBs were in position, but he was in a zone.

- - - Updated - - -

True....This is outdated since at least 10 years.They give up on average 40 points per game in the playoffs in their 4 last games
    JAGS & BROWNS: The offense gave the opposition points and/or turned the ball over in the red-zone. Not all of those points are a from the defense.

CHIEFS: As Dwins said, the defense held its own… with ZERO support from the offense. Then, the defense was simply too worn out to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^

- - - Updated - - -

BILLS: Thisxshiwed the value of Edmunds. That 98 yarder is a prime example.

EAGLES: AJ Brown came down with spectacular TD catches. Our DBs were in position, but he was in a zone.

- - - Updated - - -

JAGS & BROWNS: The offense gave the opposition points and/or turned the ball over in the red-zone. Not all of those points are a from the defense.

CHIEFS: As Dwins said, the defense held its own… with ZERO support from the offense. Then, the defense was simply too worn out to compete.

You are right for the chiefs game even if give up 6 TD on 6 drives at one point is awful and I don't blame the defense against the Browns but it was still a very bad game.The game against the pats in 2016(without Gronk) and 2017 vs Jags were ugly

Our offense is historic bad right now but that doesn't make the Steelers a good defense....This unit has been below average since last year, especially on the road.Yes they don't have help from their offense but we can said the same about the Broncos defense but their numbers are still great despite this

Yesterday the steelers had the edge in time of possession by almost 9 minutes so I don't think that be tired is a excuse for this game

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

You are right for the chiefs game even if give up 6 TD on 6 drives at one point is awful and I don't blame the defense against the Browns but it was still a very bad game.The game against the pats in 2016(without Gronk) and 2017 vs Jags were ugly

Our offense is historic bad right now but that doesn't make the Steelers a good defense....This unit has been below average since last year, especially on the road.Yes they don't have help from their offense but we can said the same about the Broncos defense but their numbers are still great despite this

Yesterday the steelers had the edge in time of possession by almost 9 minutes so I don't think that be tired is a excuse for this game
    see: the part about AJ Brown

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    see: the part about AJ Brown
    The steelers had no answer on the eagles offense.When Brown was one on one he won the battle everytime as he always do even when he was with the titans but when the steelers had more coverage on Brown it was either their running game or other players who had very good play

It was the best game of the eagles offense of the season yesterday, so much they put their backup with 10 minutes left in this game!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

By the evaluation criteria being used, every defensive scheme is failed and outdated. The Eagles and Bills have basically thrashed them all.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Cam Heyward, TJ Watt, Myles Jack/Devin Bush, Minkah, Edmunds, are starters pretty much anywhere around the league. The rest of our defense would be either a starter or first off the bench pretty much anywhere in the league. This defense is very good. Not perfect and rotating through some injuries but a very damn good defense.

IF...The offense can put up any points the defense can keep us close. Yes, there will be exceptions just like with anything else. The Eagles are a terrible measuring stick right now. They dominate the LOS on both sides of the ball. Our offense and defense struggled because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    By the evaluation criteria being used, every defensive scheme is failed and outdated. The Eagles and Bills have basically thrashed them all.
    Not like that.I mean the ravens did a good job few week ago against this Bills team.Josh Allen had like 350 passing yards at HALFTIME against us!...Huge difference!...Even the Chiefs defense did a much better job that us

Bad games against elite offenses,it happens(like the 49ers vs KC last week) but when it happens so often that the opposing players are close to their personal career best when you play against a very good offense, questions must be asked, especially when we have the most paid defense in the league

All the blame is on our offense for our awful start and yes our defense had very good games (CIN, NE, TB and Miami) but the other 4 games were not good