Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenny Pickett APPRECIATION Thread

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: Kenny Pickett APPRECIATION Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    All of that makes sense.

I do believe that KP throws high when he over-strides. There are a few throws a game where it looks like he tries to really lay into a throw and then he just kinda guns it 4 feet over everyone's head.

I haven't paid as much attention to the low throws. I freely acknowledge that in multiple scenarios, as you have correctly pointed out, low ball placement is the preferred option.

But my line of thinking is that I am sure KP throws high at times he does not want to. Therefore, it is possible that he also throws low at times he does not mean to as well.

Then my pudding brain thought maybe there were underlying footwork or mechanical issues that linked the to. Makes me wonder if there are some footwork things that KP can work on this off-season that could make his accuracy and placement even more precise and help him weaponize that skillset even more.

I'm sure there are a lot of things that Pickett is going to be working on this offseason.

Every quarterback works on his craft, trying to improve in any way they can. Mechanics can be improved, but only from the pocket with a solid base and being able to step into a throw. Every other type of throw becomes more reliant on adjustments and individual talent. When a quarterback is on the move, they can't use the same mechanics unless they are able to stop and reset their feet. You see guys like Mahomes make all those off-schedule throws, throws on the run, multiple arm-angle throws, no-look throws, throws off his back foot, etc... That shit is pure talent. Some guys can do some of that. Some can do very little of it and everything has to be perfect for them to succeed. Guys like Mahomes are just so rare. They can do anything because they have rare ability to be able to adjust to any variable and make accurate throws. The more of those secondary skills and abilities that guys have in their toolbox, the more answers they have on the field.

Pickett appears to have the ability to do some of that. He isn't Mahomes, but who is. He will work on what he can....and do the best he can to manage the stuff he can't do. That's the struggle when playing quarterback....trying to do everything you are capable of without trying to do too much or things you can't do.

I'm excited to see what he can become when he maximizes all his talents.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The fact that Pickett was able to call a play for the slowest RB in the NFL to score a TD almost untouched is Hall of Fame material in itself…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

A great call by Kenny and, I was thinking before the play don't run it! Glad I was wrong! He played a good game and, is looking more like a franchise QB.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

imagine if russell wilson had the 'confidence' to hand it off to beast mode in the SB
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

I'm not enamored with Pickett, but for the most part I like what I see.

I did notice a couple of pretty bad throws during the game. I mean, way off. And, they weren't throwaways either. But I also noticed him threading the needle on a couple of throws and putting the ball where it needed to be on several others. I also think his decision-making has to be commended.

For me, a franchise QB can do four things compared to any other QB (even good ones): (1) elevate the players around him, (2) consistently force defenses to change/adjust their schemes rather than taking what a defense gives, (3) have the ability to take over a game, and (4) exhibit strong leadership. I haven't seen him do any of those things at the needed level yet, but I've seen flashes of the first three. As for the fourth, he has shown good leadership skills on the field but few if any rookies will be leaders in the locker room (so no blame there. That's just a years-in-league thing).

Sadly, I am coming to think that his ceiling is just below this level. There's nothing I can point to, just a feeling I have based on watching him. Am I wrong? I hope so and won't be upset at all if I am. Again, this is just a gut feeling I have and it could be due to scheming, talent surrounding him, or eating some bad chicken for lunch. As for his floor, I think that sans injury or personal issues, the lowest he will rise over the next few years will be Kirk Cousins or Matt Hasselback (not necessarily in style but in results).

I will say this, however. I am excited to watch a Steelers game each week now. That wasn't true at the beginning of the year, which means he gives me hope for a win. That's saying a lot for a rookie QB.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post

I did notice a couple of pretty bad throws during the game. I mean, way off. And, they weren't throwaways either. But I also noticed him threading the needle on a couple of throws and putting the ball where it needed to be on several others. I also think his decision-making has to be commended.

For me, a franchise QB can do four things compared to any other QB (even good ones): (1) elevate the players around him, (2) consistently force defenses to change/adjust their schemes rather than taking what a defense gives, (3) have the ability to take over a game, and (4) exhibit strong leadership. I haven't seen him do any of those things at the needed level yet, but I've seen flashes of the first three. As for the fourth, he has shown good leadership skills on the field but few if any rookies will be leaders in the locker room (so no blame there. That's just a years-in-league thing).

Sadly, I am coming to think that his ceiling is just below this level. There's nothing I can point to, just a feeling I have based on watching him. Am I wrong? I hope so and won't be upset at all if I am. Again, this is just a gut feeling I have and it could be due to scheming, talent surrounding him, or eating some bad chicken for lunch. As for his floor, I think that sans injury or personal issues, the lowest he will rise over the next few years will be Kirk Cousins or Matt Hasselback (not necessarily in style but in results).

I will say this, however. I am excited to watch a Steelers game each week now. That wasn't true at the beginning of the year, which means he gives me hope for a win. That's saying a lot for a rookie QB.
    FWIW, I have the same feeling currently.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

I'm optimistic. Do I think KP is gonna be the next TB12? no not a chance, but I like what i've seen so far. Everyone forgets he's a rookie and the NFL is way faster and way more complex than college ball. I'll give him some time to work on his game and support him along the way.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That’s the thing…I could watch a Bills game (especially this season) and find more than a couple bad throws by Josh Allen. Not every throw is going to be perfect and on a dime. I don’t buy a couple/few passes being off the mark as a criticism. If it’s an ample number of passes that’s one thing but two or three a game…that’s not worrisome to me.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    every qb has drops, but WR's making 12 mil+ a year need to catch that
    There are 31 other QBs with a higher drop rate than Pickett. He's at 2.8% and the worst is Lamar J at 8.5%.

- - - Updated - - -

As for his floor, I think that sans injury or personal issues, the lowest he will rise over the next few years will be Kirk Cousins or Matt Hasselback (not necessarily in style but in results).
    So you think his floor is two guys with 6 pro bowls between them? I'll take that.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That’s the thing…I could watch a Bills game (especially this season) and find more than a couple bad throws by Josh Allen. Not every throw is going to be perfect and on a dime. I don’t buy a couple/few passes being off the mark as a criticism. If it’s an ample number of passes that’s one thing but two or three a game…that’s not worrisome to me.
    No doubt.

There is a weird thing for me with KP. That nothing jumps off the screen at you. Even when Josh Allen sucked and we all made fun of him - myself included - there were a couple plays every game that made your eyes bug out of your head and drop nacho cheese all over yourself.

To be totally fair....I didn't get that feeling watching Burrow play either....but he certainly is pretty darn good.

KP may be just one of those QB's that never makes you feel like your watching football playing cyborg from another dimension BUT he may still find a way to make ALL the plays. I can not wait to find out.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

No doubt.

There is a weird thing for me with KP. That nothing jumps off the screen at you. Even when Josh Allen sucked and we all made fun of him - myself included - there were a couple plays every game that made your eyes bug out of your head and drop nacho cheese all over yourself.

To be totally fair....I didn't get that feeling watching Burrow play either....but he certainly is pretty darn good.

KP may be just one of those QB's that never makes you feel like your watching football playing cyborg from another dimension BUT he may still find a way to make ALL the plays. I can not wait to find out.
    To be honest, Tom Brady also was like that. I remember watching him for his first 10 years or so saying he was just a system quarterback and didn't have much talent. But he does have those 6 rings not by doing anything eye-popping, but consistently making the 'correct' decisions on the field, and delivering an accurate ball.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Me too. I have been passively observing the games for the last few years, but the past couple of weeks I have payed more attention than I normally do.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Kenny Pickett APPRECIATION Thread

He more reminds me of Rodgers actually, with a bit less arm. He is very accurate, like Rodgers. Can move in the pocket well enough, can run when needed well enough. Will he develop the football IQ is what remains to be seen. If we can get an OC that can design plays where KP is hitting targets in stride, we will see what his ceiling is. At this point, with 95% of our passing routes comeback or stop routes, I think he is handcuffed.
    Last edited by Rotorhead; 11-30-2022 at 08:39 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Its like you read my mind.

I think Kenny Pickett will be our Jeff Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Its like you read my mind.

I think Kenny Pickett will be our Jeff Garcia
    Jeff Garcia was cable of dealing out some damage sometimes when he had a good supporting cast.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

He kind of has the style of a young Joe Montana - mobile, not the strongest arm, but great at making the right play (still unpolished)

I hope it turns out like that - at least a poor man’s version

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The pass was complete that is all that ultimately matters. But the posted 3rd down pass to Pickens is a good example of one thing that I hope KP can get cleaned up. He throws a lot of passes at dude's knees.

I know the YAC issue is like 99.9% on Canada's offense. But you can't keep running when your QB makes you pick a pass off the grass.

This is not meant to indicate that KP is terrible or even less than awesome. But anyone know what might cause a guy to throw low a high % of the time? Is it mechanical or timing or something?
    The negative: it was low.

The positive: everything else about that play (as Dan Orlavsky described second-by-second, frame-by-frame)

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    He kind of has the style of a young Joe Montana - mobile, not the strongest arm, but great at making the right play (still unpolished)

I hope it turns out like that - at least a poor man’s version
    I want the rich man's version that wins 10 super bowls in a row, then he bangs giselle after winning his 7th ring

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The negative: it was low.

The positive: everything else about that play (as Dan Orlavsky described second-by-second, frame-by-frame)
    No doubt. Honestly, my "negative" comments are not a consistent attempt to downgrade KP. It is far more for me trying to understand and work through what I think I see from my couch. And how does those observations articulate with future projections of his ceiling as QB.

I get more excited by the week to find out.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

"Kenny Pickett continues to thrive against the blitz: Pickett has a 71.7% completion rate against the blitz, which is the highest among all NFL quarterbacks. In Monday’s win over the Colts, Pickett went 7 of 9 for 69 yards with a 98.6 passer rating, playing mistake free football when defenses send an extra rusher to challenge him. Pickett has a 106.9 rating against the blitz without an interception."

link

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    "Kenny Pickett continues to thrive against the blitz: Pickett has a 71.7% completion rate against the blitz, which is the highest among all NFL quarterbacks. In Monday’s win over the Colts, Pickett went 7 of 9 for 69 yards with a 98.6 passer rating, playing mistake free football when defenses send an extra rusher to challenge him. Pickett has a 106.9 rating against the blitz without an interception."

link
    If his hands were a little bit bigger he would probably be undefeated as a starter.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    His hands are just aroused more lately. I'm just worried about the shrinkage when the weather gets colder.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I just heard Tod Haley on NFL Radio talking about how impressed he's become with Kenny Pickett. He said he's starting to see a lot of Joe Burrow in him. He predicted that Tomlin's non-losing streak would stay in tact.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I just heard Tod Haley on NFL Radio talking about how impressed he's become with Kenny Pickett. He said he's starting to see a lot of Joe Burrow in him. He predicted that Tomlin's non-losing streak would stay in tact.
    Wonder if he wants to coach KP lol

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'd take Todd Haley back at OC in a heartbeat. He's kind of a dick and playcalling was questionable, but he knew how to put together an NFL offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Wonder if he wants to coach KP lol
    I think he'd love to. He was pretty enthusiastic about KP.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

STEELERS BRASS: “You want us to bring back Todd Haley??? He got into bar fights; he sent nudes of his wife to the staff; he was an a$$hole to everyone. Get out of here with that idea.”

STEELERS BRASS: (looks at Matt Canada)

STEELERS BRASS: “Hello, Todd. What are you doing…”

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    STEELERS BRASS: “You want us to bring back Todd Haley??? He got into bar fights; he sent nudes of his wife to the staff; he was an a$$hole to everyone. Get out of here with that idea.”

STEELERS BRASS: (looks at Matt Canada)

STEELERS BRASS: “Hello, Todd. What are you doing…”
    Wouldn’t mind seeing nudes of Haley’s wife. I would think that would be a good thing. Sharing is caring.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Wouldn’t mind seeing nudes of Haley’s wife. I would think that would be a good thing. Sharing is caring.