Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenny Pickett APPRECIATION Thread

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Kenny Pickett APPRECIATION Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    If we are being completely honest, how many players coming out of college are going to “look like” Ben? Fans are delusional if they think they are going to find the “next Ben”. It’s never going to happen…ever. You can only hope that Kenny is Kenny the Franchise QB and that they supply him with the tools to succeed. Which they haven’t yet…

while you seem to be hinting at line play and O.C. and being encircled with players around him with such a blanket statement I would say Just O.C. is the only true drawback reason being as followed ...

1) we have skillset players , like him or not butterfingers DJ was a league leader a season ago ....

2) Pickens is all we could ever ask for as a rookie WR and then some

3) as badly as Najee has played he showed last week against backups he can still play pretty well as can Warren when the opportunities arise

4) Mooooth is a beast in the making

5) this line has lots to be desired , that said its good enough with a mobile QB to succeed , granted not ideal and lot of room for improvement but if the QB has "feel"they give enough time to navigate and or escape the pocket

so what is really the problem ???

The O.C.

what are we not yet certain of ...

Kenny Pickett ...

Yes there has been some flashes of potential but also lots of flashes of WTF was that but as long as we continue to have Canada calling the plays we will not get consistent/proper development from Kenny to know if he was a good selection or not ....

sure everyone knows he wasnt my guy , but he is a Steeler I WANT him to be great , I want to be wrong and right now IMO they are not doing everything as an organization to make me be wrong (sooner rather than later) That is on Mike Tomlin ....

I've not been a Tomlin supporter or hater in the past , I feel like your teams are a direct representation of you as a Head football coach..
    So when you have a superior roster I expect superior results ( we have not always seen that in fact we have seen it far less that we likely should have with some of the rosters we have had in the last decade )

Not putting players in the best opportunity to succeed has been a problem his entire tenure IMO , I think ( can't prove it ) he gives autonomy to his position coaches and should probably poke the bear more often when results are not above the line but he instead puts in far to much effort to impress you and me with his catch phrases and the media is enamored by that and his charisma and they fall for the great coach never a losing season crap because of it and not delving deeper and asking why hasnt a "quality coach" with a big 3 such as ben , bell and Brown back in the day ( and brown always had atleast 1 other guy who played opposite him that could take the top off a def see martavis , wallace etc or a combat catch guy like Ward or juju or both ) couple that with a top 5 defense most years under Lebeau and a few with Butler yet not much hardware to show for it but quite a few 1 and done seasons .... at some point the HC needs to be accountable for those things IMO

there is a lot that goes into success but even more that goes into reaching the highest Pinnacle of the sport Tomlin has underachieved as a head Coach but he will stay as long as he wants because the Organization is loyal to a fault at times in order to maintain continued stability and stay relevant ( so some good and bad there )

I personally lost some respect for Tomlin at the end of last season for not removing Canada , this year a very large amount of the respect that still remained left when he failed to remove Canada when it was CLEAR to all the free world BUT Tomlin that Canada needed to be shown the door he continued to defend him instead of removing him....

At this point I am unsure if Tomlin is worth keeping because of his unwillingness to make a change when it is clear change is necessary , that to me is not putting your players or your team in the best chance to succeed and that should be Job #1 of your Head Coach ...yes shit rolls downhill .... until it don't meaning we can blame the coordinators until such time as we should be blaming their boss for not removing them
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Pickett looks far better than I thought he would. And he also looks far worse than his most positive projections. But we are intended to be appreciating the dude in this thread so I will back off.

He certainly is not scared or overawed by being and NFL starting QB. He plays hard and his compete level appears to be off the charts.
    He seems to make a mistake once and then not make that specific mistake again. Indicates to me that he is learning and learning fairly quickly.

But DWins and others have a point about there being limiting things that make it hard to see what there really is with KP. The playcalling and the OL being the two biggest ones for me. KP is missing open routes. Not so much that he is throwing wildly or anything, but he isn't seeing that the guy is open. I figure, at least in my dumb head, that it is a combination of bad coaching not helping him get there mentally and a lack of trust to really sit behind the OL and sift through his options. It looks to me like KP is playing "fast" - which is certainly better than the slow that Rudolph plays at - but I think it may be too fast. He bails out of pockets at the first flash of a defender. He rolls out instead of stepping up and through. And he seems to look 1 maybe 2 places to go with the ball and then shuts the play down.

Again...he is a rookie. I get that. This is going to happen. However, it is just hard right now to know if the play design is too poor for any QB to succeed, if KP is contributing to his own difficulties, and/or the OL just doesn't keep it clean enough in front of him.

I have additional thoughts, but they start getting overly negative and this is not the thread for that. So far, I see tools that could make KP a successful starter in the NFL. He appears to have the off-field leadership and on-field demeanor necessary to be a franchise leader. Can he put it all together? No idea...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    At his best, Ben was a top 5 QB (top 3 a couple seasons). It’s not unrealistic to find another top 5 QB at some point (Kenny or not).
    Sure you can eventually find a Top-5 QB and hopefully that’s Kenny…if that’s your definition of finding the next Ben. Maybe I take that more literal…you’ll be very hard pressed to find a player with Bens attributes and his ability to take a beating, play with a broken nose, etc and do what he did for the Steelers. I’m not even sure the rules of the game would allow for another player to be that…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

while you seem to be hinting at line play and O.C. and being encircled with players around him with such a blanket statement I would say Just O.C. is the only true drawback reason being as followed ...

1) we have skillset players , like him or not butterfingers DJ was a league leader a season ago ....

3) as badly as Najee has played he showed last week against backups he can still play pretty well as can Warren when the opportunities arise

5) this line has lots to be desired , that said its good enough with a mobile QB to succeed , granted not ideal and lot of room for improvement but if the QB has "feel"they give enough time to navigate and or escape the pocket

The O.C.

Kenny Pickett ...

Yes there has been some flashes of potential but also lots of flashes of WTF was that but as long as we continue to have Canada calling the plays we will not get consistent/proper development from Kenny to know if he was a good selection or not ....

sure everyone knows he wasnt my guy , but he is a Steeler I WANT him to be great , I want to be wrong and right now IMO they are not doing everything as an organization to make me be wrong (sooner rather than later) That is on Mike Tomlin ....

I've not been a Tomlin supporter or hater in the past , I feel like your teams are a direct representation of you as a Head football coach..
    So when you have a superior roster I expect superior results ( we have not always seen that in fact we have seen it far less that we likely should have with some of the rosters we have had in the last decade )

Not putting players in the best opportunity to succeed has been a problem his entire tenure IMO , I think ( can't prove it ) he gives autonomy to his position coaches and should probably poke the bear more often when results are not above the line but he instead puts in far to much effort to impress you and me with his catch phrases and the media is enamored by that and his charisma and they fall for the great coach never a losing season crap because of it and not delving deeper and asking why hasnt a "quality coach" with a big 3 such as ben , bell and Brown back in the day ( and brown always had atleast 1 other guy who played opposite him that could take the top off a def see martavis , wallace etc or a combat catch guy like Ward or juju or both ) couple that with a top 5 defense most years under Lebeau and a few with Butler yet not much hardware to show for it but quite a few 1 and done seasons .... at some point the HC needs to be accountable for those things IMO

there is a lot that goes into success but even more that goes into reaching the highest Pinnacle of the sport Tomlin has underachieved as a head Coach but he will stay as long as he wants because the Organization is loyal to a fault at times in order to maintain continued stability and stay relevant ( so some good and bad there )

I personally lost some respect for Tomlin at the end of last season for not removing Canada , this year a very large amount of the respect that still remained left when he failed to remove Canada when it was CLEAR to all the free world BUT Tomlin that Canada needed to be shown the door he continued to defend him instead of removing him....

At this point I am unsure if Tomlin is worth keeping because of his unwillingness to make a change when it is clear change is necessary , that to me is not putting your players or your team in the best chance to succeed and that should be Job #1 of your Head Coach ...yes shit rolls downhill .... until it don't meaning we can blame the coordinators until such time as we should be blaming their boss for not removing them
    He needs an OL, OC, WRs that can catch. There’s a whole lot of question marks on that offense that surround him.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Sure you can eventually find a Top-5 QB and hopefully that’s Kenny…if that’s your definition of finding the next Ben. Maybe I take that more literal…you’ll be very hard pressed to find a player with Bens attributes and his ability to take a beating, play with a broken nose, etc and do what he did for the Steelers. I’m not even sure the rules of the game would allow for another player to be that…
    Yeah I really don't care about the style of play, just the level of play. Ben was unique.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

back from my trip, looking forward to watching steelers football again. how'd kenny look in the last week? his stat line doesn't look fancy but i guess when you have 200 yards rushing you don't need to be.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    back from my trip, looking forward to watching steelers football again. how'd kenny look in the last week? his stat line doesn't look fancy but i guess when you have 200 yards rushing you don't need to be.
    he’s making progress. Not forcing it into coverage - throwing it away or taking off in those instances, used the qb sneak to score last week. he’s making some great hi accuracy throws

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

The O.C.

Kenny Pickett ...

I agree with most of this. It is extremely difficult to get a bead on KP at this point with everything surrounding him.

What I'm not so sure I agree on is how much talent we have on offense. Imo, everyone on the offense at this point in their careers have a ceiling of average NFL starters, besides Pickens. If they really want to put KP in a position to succeed they need to get him an elite running game or an elite WR. I'm making an early prediction now that WR will be taken with 1 of our first 3 picks.

Yeah I really don't care about the style of play, just the level of play. Ben was unique.
    Top-5 Kenny I’d obviously take anytime…

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    Well, Kenny looked like he's always had. Only with more scoring and less turnovers. He moved the ball a lot against the Saints and didn't make mistakes. Lots of long sustainable drives. Was blitzed a lot and didn't fold. Right now all he needs to focus on is keeping up the momentum.

He's no Mason Rudolph-tier Quarterback who needs everything around them to be perfect. Pickett can make things happen and is showing he can at least be a guy who you can get by with a running game and a top-flight defense. Time will tell what his ceiling is.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Well, Kenny looked like he's always had. Only with more scoring and less turnovers. He moved the ball a lot against the Saints and didn't make mistakes. Lots of long sustainable drives. Was blitzed a lot and didn't fold. Right now all he needs to focus on is keeping up the momentum.

He's no Mason Rudolph-tier Quarterback who needs everything around them to be perfect. Pickett can make things happen and is showing he can at least be a guy who you can get by with a running game and a top-flight defense. Time will tell what his ceiling is.
    The best way I can describe Pickett right now compared to Trubisky and Rudolph is Kenny looks like he belongs there. Rudolph definitely does not have that attribute and Trubisky has it on occassion. Kenny looks like he belongs behind center.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Stat line was okay but Kenny played small (like his hands) today when the game was on the line. In the first “Tiny Hands Bowl” this one goes to Burrow.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Stat line was okay but Kenny played small (like his hands) today when the game was on the line. In the first “Tiny Hands Bowl” this one goes to Burrow.
    Did he though?

-flea-flicker
    -a run into wall
    -sack

Then, the Bengals pinned their ears back and pass-rushed at will: pressure, pressure, pressure, sack, more pressure, sack…

That throw you Pickens along the sideline should have been a 65-yard TD. It was a beautiful throw.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Pickett is the best QB we’ve had on the roster not named Ben in the last 20 - 25 years. He’s just caught in a bad situation with crappy play calling. I hope this doesn’t mess him up, already seeing a few too many inaccurate throws - which doesn’t look like mechanical issues but rather timing problems.

I know it’s late in the season but I would still call Haley and then can Canada Monday

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

When Ben went “no huddle”… points.

When Kenny went “no huddle”… points.

SUMMATION:
    When Canada is taken out of the equation, the offense looks muuuch better.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

KP had 2 nice deep balls to Pickens that should have been TDs this game. It looks to me like his deep ball is just as accurate as the rest of his throws. He did have a couple errant tosses (2 in the dirt when the target was open and one behind Pickens on a crossing route (give them a pass on that one cause that is probably the 3rd designed crossing play all season, they just aren’t used to that type of play). I am liking what I am seeing from KP. I really wish we had on OC that was complete garbage, we should have had at least 17 more pts.

Member Array title="Jens_Karlsson is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    When Ben went “no huddle”… points.

When Kenny went “no huddle”… points.

SUMMATION:
    When Canada is taken out of the equation, the offense looks muuuch better.
    This is sooooooooooo true.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Did he though?

-flea-flicker
    -a run into wall
    -sack

Then, the Bengals pinned their ears back and pass-rushed at will: pressure, pressure, pressure, sack, more pressure, sack…

That throw you Pickens along the sideline should have been a 65-yard TD. It was a beautiful throw.
    Not to mention Kenny is going against teams that know their play calls…pretty hard to do anything when the defense knows what’s coming…

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Pickett looked pretty good out there, was off target on a couple throws but usually every QB has a few of those. Late in the game had a dime to Pickens which would've been a long TD if caught.

I watched the Jets-Patriots game and one thing is for sure: Kenny Pickett is a much better QB that Zach Wilson! That guy is horrific.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I watched the Jets-Patriots game and one thing is for sure: Kenny Pickett is a much better QB that Zach Wilson! That guy is horrific.
    I was thinking the same thing......Zach Wilson looked lost and scared out there on the field yesterday. It was atrocious, and for as much progress as the Jets have made this year, if Zack does not turn into a legit NFL QB the Jets will be suffering again from another misfire at the QB position.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

but he was good enough to defeat this steelers squad ......

ugh
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

ugh
    any qb would look good against this defense minus watt

ugh
    Yeah, you clearly haven't seen Wilson at his worst.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Pickett Picking Up His Game | Kurt Warner's Reaction | Pittsburgh Steelers Game Tape Breakdown
    You see a lot of good things from Kenny Pickett. I like where he is! Some of the stuff I saw in college has been able to translate to the pros. Got a little moxie to him. Able to see and decipher things quickly. Has the ability to make big plays and throws down the field. They just continue to get better offensively, he continues to build rapport with his wide receivers on the outside, I think his future is really bright! It has been a tough road, they have thrown him into a lot of situations against some tough teams. But it doesn’t mean that he isn’t playing well. I have seen a lot to like from this young man in his first year. I believe it’s only going to get better!

Ryan Clark summed it up best, and I’ll paraphrase / embellish:

Hand size… who cares?
    Ball velocity… couldn’t tell ya.
    40 time… yaaaawn

Kenny is good at quarterbacking!!!

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Ryan Clark summed it up best, and I’ll paraphrase / embellish:

Hand size… who cares?
    Ball velocity… couldn’t tell ya.
    40 time… yaaaawn

Kenny is good at quarterbacking!!!
    Like I’ve said…visually, he belongs. Trey Lance, Zach Wilson, Mitch Trubisky, Mason Rudolph…they don’t look like they belong at QB.

Like I’ve said…visually, he belongs. Trey Lance, Zach Wilson, Mitch Trubisky, Mason Rudolph…they don’t look like they belong at QB.
    In a word: gestalt.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">