Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenny Pickett APPRECIATION Thread

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Kenny Pickett APPRECIATION Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    but he is pretty good at throwing to the opponent too lets not forget that...
    We won’t forget… you’ll remind us of every single one.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I see the INTs as multiple area issue. Of the 8, he got 3 vs the Jets and 3 vs the Dolphins. I did not see the Dolphins game. Vs the Jets he had 1 on the hail mary and 1 trying to throw the ball away. Honestly, I call 6 INTs where he was actually trying to complete a football throw. Over 4 games that's not terrible for a rookie.

The issues: A very real issue is trying to make something out of nothing, as well as trying to make something out of frustration. I can see both of these issues with KP's game. He's a rookie so the former is expected from time to time. The latter he communicated plainly when he said "it's insane to keep doing the same thing and expecting something different". The rook is young but experienced as a QB. He knows some things that have worked for him in the past. I don't necessarily blame him for doing those things now in trying to manufacture some offensive success. How much of that also equals the very thing that seems to confuse the rest of the offense at times? I don't know the answer. When Ben scrambles he's looking to throw. When KP scrambles it may be pass or run. As a WR do you block or try to get open? These things are part of what I am thinking of when I use the term 'growing pains'.

The issue of not getting TDs and settling for FGs or punts. This is due to just a poorly schemed offense. The weapons are there. The OL is sufficient enough to be an efficient offense. The run game should be better, much better than it is. Simply put, IMO, just going with pre-decided plays rather than using the ebb and flow of the game and calling situational football plays. I believe this very thing is why you would see Ben looking at the sideline, palms up, shaking his head last season. Designing plays is only a part of being an OC.

A huge problem this offense is having, and has had for 3 seasons in a row now, is too many penalties. Some of this is also growing pains but this has definitely become a coaching issue. When these penalties continue to happen it's because it's being allowed to continue. What are you doing in meetings and practices to clean up penalties? This aspect of our offensive woes is unacceptable to me most of all.
    I used to think OL was a coaching flaw.

I think it’s because these guys aren’t good enough. They know they’re not good enough. And as a result they’re trying to gain advantage on the margins and it’s drawing flags.

The most penalized are Moore and Dotson. Or it seems that way. Those guys aren’t good enough to start. And I think the penalties are one way it shows up.

The other is the lack of viable depth. There’s no one to sub in for these guys that isn’t way worse. So they’re stuck out there.

It’s one of the least talented OL units in the league and it shows.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Completion Percentage looks good.
    Avg yards is bad.
    TD/INT ratio is horrible
    Rushing is a bonus.

Right now....that stat line says Alex Smith with a lot more INTs.

So, do you think it is a KP problem or a team around him problem?

I suspect the latter and fear the former.
    You left Canada out.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    You left Canada out.
    Again...I am apparently as clear as mud today in attempts to communicate.

Included in the "team around him" is everything from the ball boy to the coaching staff to the whatever else you can dream up.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

They are expecting him to do too much. Ben wasn't expected to put the team on his shoulders and win the game himself at this point, just don't lose the game. They haven't put the support around KP that is needed and he sees the opportunity to win the game and then the rookie mistakes happen. I hope it doesn't mess with his confidence....but I don't think it will. Based on his post game interview, he's smart enough to know what's going on and is extremely frustrated by it.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Giving Kenny a shout out today. It definitely helped to have T.J Watt back, but Kenny made some big throws, maintained possessions and moved the ball yesterday. Backed up from his own endzone and engineered a very long drive. Pickett played like an AFC North Quarterback yesterday. No mistakes, nothing sexy and doing more than enough to help the Defense. Most Offensive points scored all season and could've been more.

Like I said, I definitely having Watt back took the pressure off and let Pickett do his thing without having to do too much. Yesterday was encouraging and let's hope it continues.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Giving Kenny a shout out today. It definitely helped to have T.J Watt back, but Kenny made some big throws, maintained possessions and moved the ball yesterday. Backed up from his own endzone and engineered a very long drive. Pickett played like an AFC North Quarterback yesterday. No mistakes, nothing sexy and doing more than enough to help the Defense. Most Offensive points scored all season and could've been more.

Like I said, I definitely having Watt back took the pressure off and let Pickett do his thing without having to do too much. Yesterday was encouraging and let's hope it continues.
    Add to the a competent running game and you have what Ben had his rookie year. Good running and good defense, only requiring Ben to not lose the game while he developed.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Kenny didn't throw a Pickett!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I did not realize Pickett ran down there to block on that play when I was watching the game. I will say Kenny also strikes me as a guy that really likes playing football, and also enjoys putting in all the practice and work. Over the years I've met a small handful of guys who briefly played in the NFL or went to training camps but never played beyond pre-season, and most of them said that by the time they got to the NFL they did not really enjoy playing football any longer, and that it just felt like a job rather than something they really loved to do. I've often wondered if this why some players with significant talent or athletic ability wash out and never become the players people thought they would, while others succeed.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I did not realize Pickett ran down there to block on that play when I was watching the game. I will say Kenny also strikes me as a guy that really likes playing football, and also enjoys putting in all the practice and work. Over the years I've met a small handful of guys who briefly played in the NFL or went to training camps but never played beyond pre-season, and most of them said that by the time they got to the NFL they did not really enjoy playing football any longer, and that it just felt like a job rather than something they really loved to do. I've often wondered if this why some players with significant talent or athletic ability wash out and never become the players people thought they would, while others succeed.
    I noticed that during the game and was waiting for the Tom Brady effort but Pickett was all in!

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    There’s a theory out there that one can play a sport for only 13 years before getting “burned out”. For example, Pop Warner, middle school, high school, college is 13 years… and voila!!! they’re kind of “done” with football.

Obviously, many keep playing, but for some, it’s definitely more of a “job” than a “joy”.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Talk of getting a QB in Round 1 of the 23 draft is very premature.

Jimmy Johnson said at halftime that he thinks the Steelers have their QB - in spite of his Cowboy connections that's a solid vote of confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    There’s a theory out there that one can play a sport for only 13 years before getting “burned out”. For example, Pop Warner, middle school, high school, college is 13 years… and voila!!! they’re kind of “done” with football.

Obviously, many keep playing, but for some, it’s definitely more of a “job” than a “joy”.
    Honestly, when you read the day-to-day accounts of how most NFL Coaches/Teams go about their business...it sounds absolutely awful. I realize that there is a great deal of fan sentiment that we would gladly switch places with any NFL player to play a game for a well compensated living. But, outside of the top 5-10 paid guys on each team, I don't know if that swap would go as well as we might think.

I will never forget that Monday Night Countdown (maybe it was this??) that followed Bettis after a game. He couldn't properly walk down the stairs in his house until Wed/Thur after a Sunday game. Then 10+ hour days at the facility. Yeesh. I also remember Robert Smith (former Vikings RB) saying that one of the big factors in his not coming back from injury again, was just how dull and boring most of what it took to be an NFL player was. Talked about how practice was the same 5-6 things until everyone stopped messing it up and that too many guys were unable to get it and would still mess it up. Imagine if you got something on rep 2 and you had to do it another 2 dozen times until all your co-workers figured it out? I can barely keep from murdering some of my co-workers as it is.

Long story short, I totally can see how being a pro athlete is a chore and not something that gives you much enjoyment. I suspect we, as fans, may get more enjoyment from watching than a measurable percent of the players do from playing.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/11/ke...e-harris-says/

This is precisely why Pickett is still starting, and why guys like Rudolph in 2019 got a short leash. There is just no room for immobile statues in the modern day NFL. You have to be able to move and make things happen. Rudolph couldn't move, and Trubisky despite his athleticism, just didn't. Kenny can move, and he can run really well. He's not a Lamar Jackson or a Josh Allen, but his mobility puts him at a decent level that he can somewhat play in the NFL.

UPDATE: He's already being allowed to make audibles.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/11/ke...#disqus_thread

Pickett has the tools to play, now its just a matter of putting everything together.
    Last edited by Edman; 11-15-2022 at 12:12 PM.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I like Kenny and, I think he will be good wish he had a stronger arm. You can't always have everything but, he is getting better at reading defenses plus he can run/move. Let's face it there is alot on his shoulders and, if the oline can improve Najee look more like himself this last game who knows.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I see many kids get burned out with highly competitive youth/AAU basketball in particular. AAU basketball has basically made it a year round sport for kids, and the practice schedules, games, and tournaments put an enormous time commitment and pressure on kids who play..............not to mention the pressure put on them from many parents. I am sure there are some kids that love it and embrace spending a large part of their time on bball, but I do think many kids get burned out. I saw it happening with my own son, so he dropped off the AAU teams shortly before Covid hit, which then stopped everything for awhile. He is just now going back to playing basketball this winter, but he is only going to play for his high school team in the winter. He played football for his high school this past fall and loved it........so he definitely does not want basketball to interfere with him playing football going forward.

Sorry for the off-topic nature of this post......I realize this has nothing to do with appreciating Kenny Pickett !

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Its a silly theory. Just look at 36 year old Colt McCoy. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...hrives-as-qb2/ He has probably been playing football for 25 years now and still is catching up on game film between taking his kids to their school and sport events.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

UPDATE: He's already being allowed to make audibles.

r.
    Not a big deal. Jr. High School aged kids are often allowed to make audibles.

A defense stacks the box and you get press...then the kid checks to a ISO to your best receiver. OR if a team plays cover 2 then you spread the REC and run the ball. When they are old enough to count the fronts and understand where the numbers advantage is, then they are good to audible.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Its a silly theory. Just look at 36 year old Colt McCoy. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...hrives-as-qb2/ He has probably been playing football for 25 years now and still is catching up on game film between taking his kids to their school and sport events.
    Not to necessarily debunk the theory, but the example isn't particularly the prime example to do it.

For a guy that's averaged starting 1 game for the past 10 years, really just qualifies him as a well paid clip-board holder.
    Sure, you still have to prepare like you have to play, but I think the theory has more to do with the actual physical toll... not just the classroom learning.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Not to necessarily debunk the theory, but the example isn't particularly the prime example to do it.

For a guy that's averaged starting 1 game for the past 10 years, really just qualifies him as a well paid clip-board holder.
    Sure, you still have to prepare like you have to play, but I think the theory has more to do with the actual physical toll... not just the classroom learning.

There are athletes that just love their sport and stay too long as professionals into their late 30-'s and 40's. NHL, NFL, MLB, etc. Sure there are guys that quit at the end of the line in High School or College, but there are also guys that play in old timer leagues in hockey, baseball and other sports.

To get on topic of the thread. Pickett got some Matt Hasselbeck comparisons and I like that one personally. Not a real strong arm, but enough to make the passes required and footwork to be elusive and move in and outside the pocket in the passing game. Going to take time for him to progress and this season is destined to be a losing season. The sun still comes up on Mondays.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    There are athletes that just love their sport and stay too long as professionals into their late 30-'s and 40's. NHL, NFL, MLB, etc. Sure there are guys that quit at the end of the line in High School or College, but there are also guys that play in old timer leagues in hockey, baseball and other sports.

To get on topic of the thread. Pickett got some Matt Hasselbeck comparisons and I like that one personally. Not a real strong arm, but enough to make the passes required and footwork to be elusive and move in and outside the pocket in the passing game. Going to take time for him to progress and this season is destined to be a losing season. The sun still comes up on Mondays.
    Based on what I've seen so far, I'll be ecstatic with a Matt Hasslebeck career - with at least one ring.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This is a bit funny though don't you guys think? We went from Rudolph/Duck to Diminished Ben to Mitch to now....Kenny Pickett looks like a damn good QB.

Not saying he hasn't shown promise and talent, and I think he has improved since his first couple starts. But is he anywhere near comparable to Ben at this point? If we're being completely honest? Skill-wise and/or playmaker-wise, ummm NO. But it is so nice to have a guy that actually looks like an actual NFL QB once again I think we tend to inflate what he's actually done in real games. But in year 3 we will have a very good and seasoned QB. Just my opinion.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

He’s showing he has the willingness and ability to turn a broken play into something positive. Not at the level and frequency of Ben at this point but he’s making things happen at some rate. Rudolph, Duck, Trubisky can’t do that and old Ben couldn’t really do it anymore either

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    This is a bit funny though don't you guys think? We went from Rudolph/Duck to Diminished Ben to Mitch to now....Kenny Pickett looks like a damn good QB.

Not saying he hasn't shown promise and talent, and I think he has improved since his first couple starts. But is he anywhere near comparable to Ben at this point? If we're being completely honest? Skill-wise and/or playmaker-wise, ummm NO. But it is so nice to have a guy that actually looks like an actual NFL QB once again I think we tend to inflate what he's actually done in real games. But in year 3 we will have a very good and seasoned QB. Just my opinion.
    If we are being completely honest, how many players coming out of college are going to “look like” Ben? Fans are delusional if they think they are going to find the “next Ben”. It’s never going to happen…ever. You can only hope that Kenny is Kenny the Franchise QB and that they supply him with the tools to succeed. Which they haven’t yet…

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    If we are being completely honest, how many players coming out of college are going to “look like” Ben? Fans are delusional if they think they are going to find the “next Ben”. It’s never going to happen…ever. You can only hope that Kenny is Kenny the Franchise QB and that they supply him with the tools to succeed. Which they haven’t yet…
    At his best, Ben was a top 5 QB (top 3 a couple seasons). It’s not unrealistic to find another top 5 QB at some point (Kenny or not).

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I was not being negative about KP at all. I’m happy he’s leading the offense right now. I was just thinking about how ‘starved’ Steelers fans have been since Ben’s arm fell off. We didn’t get a warning shot. He had a 100,000 yard season, then his arm breaks the next season. Now, the excitement around Kenny is more about the hope, than about anything he’s actually done yet. But it’s been the most fun thing about the season so far.