Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Too early to talk draft?

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Too early to talk draft?

If we score a top 5 pick what is the number 1 priority?

I'm not completely sold on KP, but if the draft were tomorrow I'd try and build around him.

I'm not messing around with this one. I'm taking the best OL in the draft whether it's C,G, or T. I'd flirt with the idea of DL or CB, but if we're building around KP then it starts with his protection and run support.

I would also be open to the idea of trading to grab an extra early round pick or 2.
    Last edited by RunNGun; 10-25-2022 at 07:20 PM.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Too early to talk draft?

If we draft that high, we should look at DL or DB. You can get a real difference-maker there. OL would be a waste, there is a limit on how much difference even the best one can make.

I'm still holding out hope that if we dump the Canada offense, we might pick more like 10th-15th, in which case sure, why not, draft a fucking offensive lineman.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

a top 5 pick you HAVE to take a difference maker , someone who creates splash plays regardless of which side of the ball it is ...

I personally would try and trade back and increase the amount of selections I can get in the top 60-75 area 4-5 guys in top 75 , 5-6 in top 100 and you have flipped a decent portion of your roster in short order ....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I am against to take a o-line player if the steelers have a top 5-10 picks....It need to be a huge difference maker....Early second round,yes this is the time to take a o-lineman....

Or trade down if we can have one more first round pick for 2024 and other draft pick....

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    If we draft that high, we should look at DL or DB. You can get a real difference-maker there. OL would be a waste, there is a limit on how much difference even the best one can make.

I'm still holding out hope that if we dump the Canada offense, we might pick more like 10th-15th, in which case sure, why not, draft a fucking offensive lineman.
    I get the want and need for DL and DB, but I don't think anyone can argue that the one glaring weakness on this team is the offense. I find it hard to believe that 100% of this mess is all on Canada. Imo, there's really a lack of talent upfront. Najee hasn't lived up to his draft status either, but I do believe the OL, as well as, Canada have a lot to do with that.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I get the want and need for DL and DB, but I don't think anyone can argue that the one glaring weakness on this team is the offense. I find it hard to believe that 100% of this mess is all on Canada. Imo, there's really a lack of talent upfront. Najee hasn't lived up to his draft status either, but I do believe the OL, as well as, Canada have a lot to do with that.
    If there is a true #1 LT in a draft, it’s worth it. He can negate the TJ Watts of the world. That said, for the past few years, there’s been 4-5 “top tier” guys in each draft, but not a true #1. In turn, the difference between the first one drafted and the fifth one drafted is essentially just “preference”.

Same goes for CB: which one is the best is debatable.

Jalen Carter is the Aaron Donald of this draft. He is leaps and bounds better than any other DL in this draft. As I mentioned earlier, he was the BEST defender on that Geoergia team… which saw three DL drafted in R1 of last year’s draft.

SUMMATION:
    Aside from Will Anderson (and the QBs), there isn’t going to be a more impactful player than Jalen Carter.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If there is a true #1 LT in a draft, it’s worth it. He can negate the TJ Watts of the world. That said, for the past few years, there’s been 4-5 “top tier” guys in each draft, but not a true #1. In turn, the difference between the first one drafted and the fifth one drafted is essentially just “preference”.

Jalen Carter is the Aaron Donald of this draft. He is leaps and bounds better than any other DL in this draft. As I mentioned earlier, he was the BEST defender on that Geoergia team… which saw three DL drafted in R1 of last year’s draft.

SUMMATION:
    Aside from Will Anderson (and the QBs), there isn’t going to be a more impactful player than Jalen Carter.

but is he worth the next best D-Lineman an O-Lineman and an ILB ?

because trading back from 5 to say 12-15 could net you a 1st 2nd and 3rd easily and solidify 3 spots and you would still have our own 2nd and 3rd to spend elsewhere ....

SUMMATION:
    Agreed to an extent. I'm usually in favor of taking the BPA, but this offense has changed my mind. I'm not real familiar with the upcoming prospects at OL, but if there are no elite OTs then I agree with Dwins that we need to trade down. Then make sure we're getting the best OL prospect in this draft, whether that's at pick 1-5 or 10-20.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post

because trading back from 5 to say 12-15 could net you a 1st 2nd and 3rd easily and solidify 3 spots and you would still have our own 2nd and 3rd to spend elsewhere ....
    If he is the next Aaron Donald,I stay put,I take him and run with it....Quality over quantity everytime

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Carter or Anderson
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

It boils down to:

Reggie White vs. (insert three names here)

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Top5? I feel like we have had this conversation. My vote is always best football player available. That could absolutely be another QB, OL, pretty much from any defensive position. No RBs, WRs, or TEs.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Agreed to an extent. I'm usually in favor of taking the BPA, but this offense has changed my mind. I'm not real familiar with the upcoming prospects at OL, but if there are no elite OTs then I agree with Dwins that we need to trade down. Then make sure we're getting the best OL prospect in this draft, whether that's at pick 1-5 or 10-20.
    If you decide to trade down, then Yes take your O-lineman of choice. Because, there’s a group of five-to-seven who will go in the top twenty… and it is a dealer’s choice.

Conversely, there is indeed one clear-cut “BEST” D-lineman.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

There are currently 8 teams with a 2-5 or worse record. Considering the Steelers remaining schedule includes 6 of those teams, this could end up being an 8-10 win team. I honestly do not see a top5 pick coming. But....what if....right?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    There are currently 8 teams with a 2-5 or worse record. Considering the Steelers remaining schedule includes 6 of those teams, this could end up being an 8-10 win team. I honestly do not see a top5 pick coming. But....what if....right?
    We will win 10… and go on a playoff run.

But, it’s fun to speculate on top 5 picks (something we haven’t done in decades).

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Idk, i was a little more optimistic after the TB win, but after seeing them get absolutely thrashed by Carolina, who may be the worst team in the league, I don't think that win means dick. We could still be in the running for a top 5 pick
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    Idk, i was a little more optimistic after the TB win, but after seeing them get absolutely thrashed by Carolina, who may be the worst team in the league, I don't think that win means dick. We could still be in the running for a top 5 pick
    Maybe. All I'm saying is the Steelers are sitting at 2-5 with probably another huge beatdown coming this week in Philly. BUT...consider 3pt loss to Pats(could have won), 5pts to the Browns(last TD was off the fumble), 4pts to the Jets(could have won), 6pts to the Dolphins(could have won). I understand could have won but didn't, so therefore we suck. But this team with 1or2 plays here or there 'could be' 5-2. 5-3 headed to the bye. There are plenty of reasons to not burn it down just yet.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I think it is more likely the Steelers end up closer the 10th spot next year, but if they are in top 2 I think they can trade down and get some great extra picks as some teams will really have their eye on a QB. If the team is in the 3 to 5 spot then I would go with Will Anderson or Jalen Carter. I think the team really needs a young guy who can be a star/elite player on the Dline. Heyward can't go on forever, and I don't think the rest of the group is strong enough if Heyward was not there. If they are around the 10 spot I like Bryan Bresee for the Dline........but I am biased because he is a local kid to me.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Maybe. All I'm saying is the Steelers are sitting at 2-5 with probably another huge beatdown coming this week in Philly. BUT...consider 3pt loss to Pats(could have won), 5pts to the Browns(last TD was off the fumble), 4pts to the Jets(could have won), 6pts to the Dolphins(could have won). I understand could have won but didn't, so therefore we suck. But this team with 1or2 plays here or there 'could be' 5-2. 5-3 headed to the bye. There are plenty of reasons to not burn it down just yet.
    Mike Tomlin, Is that you?

It boils down to:

Reggie White vs. (insert three names here)

Joe Greene , Jack Lambert ,Mel Blount ( 1st 2nd and 3rd rounders respectively ).....

ok that may not have been fair I used multiple years .... so how about this

Swann , Lambert , Stallworth our first three selections of the 1974 draft

while the Minister of defense may be slightly better than any of the above listed , he certainly didnt make more impact than the 3 of them combined ( they have 12 SB wins combined ) how many does Reggie have ?

Joe Greene , Jack Lambert ,Mel Blount ( 1st 2nd and 3rd rounders respectively ).....

ok that may not have been fair I used multiple years .... so how about this

Swann , Lambert , Stallworth our first three selections of the 1974 draft

while the Minister of defense may be slightly better than any of the above listed , he certainly didnt make more impact than the 3 of them combined ( they have 12 SB wins combined ) how many does Reggie have ?
    Dan Marino has zero rings, as well.

We cannot use the 1974 Draft as a template. It’s a once in a lifetime haul.

Question: What if you draft Cat Killer at 10, Senquez Golston in R2, and Bruce Davis in R3…

SUMMATION:
    I disagree, but you make sense. Really. I wouldn’t be mad at trading down (as long as WE get to make the pucks), but I think Carter is a generational player.

Dan Marino has zero rings, as well.

We cannot use the 1974 Draft as a template. It’s a once in a lifetime haul.

Question: What if you draft Cat Killer at 10, Senquez Golston in R2, and Bruce Davis in R3…

SUMMATION:
    I disagree, but you make sense. Really. I wouldn’t be mad at trading down (as long as WE get to make the pucks), but I think Carter is a generational player.

many of those who witnessed it are dead so maybe we get to see two of them by the luxury of being young when the 1st one happened and old when the next one happens ?

summation ...

there is a chance albeit a slight one there is a chance

many of those who witnessed it are dead so maybe we get to see two of them by the luxury of being young when the 1st one happened and old when the next one happens ?

summation ...

there is a chance albeit a slight one there is a chance
    Are you saying that I should push my dad down a flight of stairs?

If he knew we’d get the second-coming of Swann, Lambert, Stallworth, Webster, & Shell… he might just do it himself.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Sorry, I may be clueless here, but I just HAVE to know what this means.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Drafting another Bush at the 10 spot.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

When was the last time the Steelers traded down to accumulate picks?

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Back during COVID, Devin Bush locked himself in his house… and sort of had a mental breakdown. He thought about quitting football… and worse. Anyway, at one point he posted a video of a cat falling to its death. Hence my nickname for him.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    When was the last time the Steelers traded down to accumulate picks?
    In the first round?....2001 I think

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    In the first round?....2001 I think
    so there is a chance ...

and lets face it we have no idea what Kahn will be like his entire philosophy on such things may differ from Colberts