Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Too early to talk draft?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Too early to talk draft?

1. Joey Porter Jr CB PSU
    2a. John Michael Schmitz OC Minn
    2b. Jaelyn Duncan OT Maryland
    3. DJ Turner CB Mich
    4. Tommy Eichenberg ILB OSU

All Big10 top100 Mock Draft

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    If they get a top free agent OL then I don't see why WR isn't in play. I wouldn't take a WR if we were picking top 5, but if we're picking around 8-12 I'd have no problems.
    In that case, picking at 28-31 shouldn’t be a problem at all.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

No receiver until round 3/4. Thank you.

Zay Flowers(BC), Jayden Reed(Mich St), Trey Palmer(Nebraska), A.T. Perry(WF)

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    1. Joey Porter Jr CB PSU
    2a. John Michael Schmitz OC Minn
    2b. Jaelyn Duncan OT Maryland
    3. DJ Turner CB Mich
    4. Tommy Eichenberg ILB OSU

All Big10 top100 Mock Draft
    I think that is a little early for Schmitz… and too late for Duncan. Flip-flop those two picks, and we’re good… although, I’d like a D-lineman in R3.

Watching Tremaine Edmunds tonight… maybe we sign him (and re-sign his brother) thus eliminating the need to draft an ILB.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

O'Cyrus Torrence may be someone to circle. Tweets below make a good case.

@J_Heits

With the way that Tomlin has talked about Cole and the trust Pittsburgh has continued to show in Dan Moore Jr, I'm fairly positive the #Steelers will prioritize OG in the draft, specifically LG to replace Dotson. O'Cyrus Torrence is the premier player at G, could be in play RD 1

https://twitter.com/J_Heits/status/1598324568149614593

@J_Heits
    @Alex_Kozora has said many times, the #Steelers like their guards big. #Florida OG O'Cyrus Torrence is listed at 6'5, 347lb and moves like a sub-300lb player. Last time Pittsburgh drafted a UF OL in the first two rounds of the draft, I reckon it worked out just ok

https://twitter.com/J_Heits/status/1598422734186356751

@GettinSwamped
    If O'Cyrus Torrence opts out of the bowl game (which is expected), he will finish his entire 4-year college career not giving up a single sack with only 24 quarterback hurries. Insane statistics for an offensive lineman

https://twitter.com/GettinSwamped/st...63232330534912

^^^^^^

I love O’Cyrus Torrance. I’ve mentioned him at 34 a few times (even in this thread).

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

KP has been sacked 23 times in 7 games. Dan Moore has allowed 6. Chuks has allowed 2. Dotson 4, Cole 2, Daniels 0. I guess I see OL need as LT 1st, then LG. Either way the numbers say the issue is on the left side. Why do we keep the stats?

KP has been sacked 23 times in 7 games. Dan Moore has allowed 6. Chuks has allowed 2. Dotson 4, Cole 2, Daniels 0. I guess I see OL need as LT 1st, then LG. Either way the numbers say the issue is on the left side. Why do we keep the stats?
    Question:
    What if there’s not a LT available when we draft?

Idea:
    Move Chukks to LT, move Moore to LG, draft Jaelyn Duncan to play RT.

How many sacks are on KP for holding onto the ball, or walking into a sack?

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Question:
    What if there’s not a LT available when we draft?

Idea:
    Move Chukks to LT, move Moore to LG, draft Jaelyn Duncan to play RT.
    That was more in reply to the headline in the post about "Tomlin...puts trust in Dan Moore...". In the same article where I got the numbers on KP's sacks, it also listed penalties. Dan Moore is taking the lion's share of those too.

YES!! I want to build the OL by whichever means works best for the long haul. IF I had gotten my 3 wishes from the draft fairy, we would already have Rashawn Slater, Creed Humphrey, and Ed Ingram. I'm just going to continue to bang the drum for blue chip guys on the OL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    How many sacks are on KP for holding onto the ball, or walking into a sack?
    I'll go with....9

That was more in reply to the headline in the post about "Tomlin...puts trust in Dan Moore...". In the same article where I got the numbers on KP's sacks, it also listed penalties. Dan Moore is taking the lion's share of those too.
    My question was more of a “realistic” hypothetical. With the kid from Penn St. going back to college, and the Steelers making a playoff run (), the odds of a LT being available diminishes with every Steelers victory.

So, if there isn’t a LT available when we pick, what would be the best draft strategy?

I know that we will not pick high enough to get him, but Jalen Carter just had an incredible sack, that ended with him lifting the QB into the air… and just holding him until the whistle blew.

My question was more of a “realistic” hypothetical. With the kid from Penn St. going back to college, and the Steelers making a playoff run (), the odds of a LT being available diminishes with every Steelers victory.

So, if there isn’t a LT available when we pick, what would be the best draft strategy?
    Specifically to LT I have no idea. This is not shaping up to be a big LT draft. I still really like the RT at Tennessee. 2nd round.

Specifically to LT I have no idea. This is not shaping up to be a big LT draft. I still really like the RT at Tennessee. 2nd round.
    Yep that’s what I was trying to say. There’s only a few LTs in this draft, and if we don’t get one, wouid it be best to do something like…

-draft a RT
    -move Chukks to LT
    -move Moore to LG

(I think that we are saying the same thing/are in the same page.)

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

I know that we will not pick high enough to get him, but Jalen Carter just had an incredible sack, that ended with him lifting the QB into the air… and just holding him until the whistle blew.
    Probably not. With Watt back and Kenny progressing, we're probably a mid-tier team. I'm guessing we end the season at 7-10 or 8-9. That'll take us out of "Carter Range"
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Jordan Addison?

There is no Jamar Chase in this draft. Day 2 is better value.

I'd look in free agency for a vet slot guy.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    Jordan Addison?
    I like Addison a lot. Not sure where he's projected at this point. A lot will change between now and the draft regardless.

Another guy I like a lot is Jalin Hyatt. He's growing on me and might be my new favorite WR. Reminds me a lot of Mike Wallace. He can absolutely fly and has a lot of splash play potential.

Pairing Hyatt and Pickens on the outside with DJ in the slot could be a problem for defenses.

If we could land Hyatt with our 1st 2nd rder I'd be stoked.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    There is no Jamar Chase in this draft. Day 2 is better value.

I'd look in free agency for a vet slot guy.
    I’d sign JuJu back in a second. Instant improvement to this group.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I’d sign JuJu back in a second. Instant improvement to this group.
    Canada(if he is back,I hope not!) don't know how to use the slot position....This is a major problem

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

the line play as of late hasnt been that bad , in fact its been decent and steadily improved so I am not so sure I would want to spend to much draft capital on it and ruin the progress it has made ...

that said if I was to do anything it would be LT, Moore is outmatched by many of his opponents and he is penalized every week for something ..

while we do not have a stellar line we have one that is on the rise as a unit they are greater than the sum of their parts IMO ..I am looking at defensive disruption to make it nearly impossible to throw the ball past 7 yards unless its anticipation routes...

TJ and A.H are great but I want the Cam Heyward ability of 5 years ago to match with them . the Tuitte of 3-4 years ago to go with them ....

my theory is if you only have 2 seconds to throw you are going to make a lot of mistakes and while our secondary may not be able to cover for extended periods the one thing they do excel in is being opportunistic so give them the ability to be just that .... obviously I used a sim and did a little moving in the mock but came away with this ...

14) Bryan Bresee DT Clemson

33) Peter Skoronski OT Northwestern

44) Siaki Ika DT Baylor

75) Marvin Mims WR Oklahoma

114) Jordan Morgan OT Arizona

207) Micah Abraham CB Marshall

225) Tykee Smith S Georgia
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    the line play as of late hasnt been that bad , in fact its been decent and steadily improved so I am not so sure I would want to spend to much draft capital on it and ruin the progress it has made ...

that said if I was to do anything it would be LT, Moore is outmatched by many of his opponents and he is penalized every week for something ..

while we do not have a stellar line we have one that is on the rise as a unit they are greater than the sum of their parts IMO ..I am looking at defensive disruption to make it nearly impossible to throw the ball past 7 yards unless its anticipation routes...

TJ and A.H are great but I want the Cam Heyward ability of 5 years ago to match with them . the Tuitte of 3-4 years ago to go with them ....

my theory is if you only have 2 seconds to throw you are going to make a lot of mistakes and while our secondary may not be able to cover for extended periods the one thing they do excel in is being opportunistic so give them the ability to be just that .... obviously I used a sim and did a little moving in the mock but came away with this ...

14) Bryan Bresee DT Clemson

33) Peter Skoronski OT Northwestern

44) Siaki Ika DT Baylor

75) Marvin Mims WR Oklahoma

114) Jordan Morgan OT Arizona

207) Micah Abraham CB Marshall

225) Tykee Smith S Georgia
    One of the reason why this o-line is not that awful is because they were healthy for the most part....Same lineup every week for this unit....

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Since the Steelers are in all likelihood going to be out the range where they could possibly get Jalen Carter, I'd prefer they take Bryan Bresee if he is still on the board in the first when they pick. He is a disruptive force from the interior of the D-line. He was hurt most of his sophomore year, and then battled a kidney infection earlier this year along with dealing with the death of his sister, so his stock may be down a little bit.

The Steelers offensive line is playing better, and while there is still definite room for improvement, it is by no means a dumpster fire at this point compared to some of the offensive lines I have watched play recently on other NFL teams.

One of the downsides to being a Steelers fan is you'll probably spend an entire lifetime without knowing what it's like to pick top 5 in the draft, but that's not really a bad thing lol

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

It seems everyone on here wants to fix the OL first. Just curious which OL position(s) need fixed the most. Not necessarily which to draft first, which position on the OL the most improvement. What are your thoughts on this?
    One question that I have is : Who is currently the Steelers best Offensive lineman?

I am curious to see who posters think it is. I mean I cant really say that one guy stands out and I can honestly say that zero of them are pro bowl caliber, so if that is true I would say that Offensive line needs to be addressed in the draft on the first 2 days for sure. Cant be too selective of whether its a T or G/C, but just add a blue chip O lineman to the group.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It certainly isn’t Dotson. He’s too dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    just awful on the last play!....Maybe the answer is Daniels

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Probably Chucks

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I think the reality is that Ronnie Stanley, Kevin Zeitler, Tyler Linderbaum, Morgan Moses of the Ravens are all better O linemen than the Steelers best O lineman. So it probably makes sense that an O lineman might be drafted day 1.

But the other sad truth is that AluAlu is old, Heyward is old, Wormley isnt the run stuffer that is needed and Loudermilk is an unknown, while DeMarvin Leal is a better pass rusher than run defender on the D line.

Steelers are a couple years away and some rebuilding in the trenches before they can compete for a playoff spot again.