Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Too early to talk draft?

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: Too early to talk draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    a top 5 pick you HAVE to take a difference maker , someone who creates splash plays regardless of which side of the ball it is ...

I personally would try and trade back and increase the amount of selections I can get in the top 60-75 area 4-5 guys in top 75 , 5-6 in top 100 and you have flipped a decent portion of your roster in short order ....
    This. You take the best player at your draft position or trade down for more lower picks to fill your immediate needs (DL and OL).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Why link this post. That guy is an idiot and I would never listen to anything he posts.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

so there is a chance ...

and lets face it we have no idea what Kahn will be like his entire philosophy on such things may differ from Colberts
    true...But if you have the chance to take the next Aaron Donald,you run with it,no matter what!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Back during COVID, Devin Bush locked himself in his house… and sort of had a mental breakdown. He thought about quitting football… and worse. Anyway, at one point he posted a video of a cat falling to its death. Hence my nickname for him.
    Oh, I never knew about that. I thought someone in this year's draft actually killed a cat. Which would be totally not cool, but I wouldn't want to mess with him.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Currently in the 7th spot…

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Why link this post. That guy is an idiot and I would never listen to anything he posts.
    Indeed That guy never takes anything seriously…

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I focused on Jalen Carter vs. Florida.

I wasn’t disappointed.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    If he is the next Aaron Donald,I stay put,I take him and run with it....Quality over quantity everytime
    debatable ...

reason being using the same draft that Aaron Donald came from ...

if I had the choice of picking Donald or getting Zack Martin and Stephon Tuitt with Morgan Moses as icing on the cake ( rounds 1,2,and 3 and that is what I would expect to trade out of the top 5 at minimum to move back to say the 11 or 12 spot ...I'm taking the trade back 10 times out of 10 and I loved Aaron Donald more than most coming out of pitt ... maybe thats just me but I see Book end tackles for the next decade and a D-Lineman that is close to being as Dominant but for a shorter time frame ....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

debatable ...

reason being using the same draft that Aaron Donald came from ...

if I had the choice of picking Donald or getting Zack Martin and Stephon Tuitt with Morgan Moses as icing on the cake ( rounds 1,2,and 3 and that is what I would expect to trade out of the top 5 at minimum to move back to say the 11 or 12 spot ...I'm taking the trade back 10 times out of 10 and I loved Aaron Donald more than most coming out of pitt ... maybe thats just me but I see Book end tackles for the next decade and a D-Lineman that is close to being as Dominant but for a shorter time frame ....
    It's hard to hit an HR everytime in the 2nd round and even in the middle and end of the first round

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

At this point if we lose the next two games to fall to 2-7 I'm all for tanking for the best pick. I don't see this team winning more than 6 games unless TJ comes back and plays like a freak.

The nice thing is a great draft could put us right back at the top of our division because we have a lot of pieces in place already we just need a real OC and an OL.

The season doesn't end until January 9th, like baseball the season is just too darn long. They should go back to the 16 game schedule, but I know greed $$$ will never allow that

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

It's hard to hit an HR everytime in the 2nd round and even in the middle and end of the first round
    well 11-12 spot is top 1/3 not middle end

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Saints winning will move Steelers up to 6. Lions winning too…not sure if that gets them above Detroit I’d Lions were to win. Carolina only down by a point…maybe up to 4 at the end of today?

Too early to talk draft?

Carolina now winning 28-24…

Saints won. So at minimum, up to 6th pick.

Too early to talk draft?

Steelers have the #2 pick at the moment based on win percentages.

They look like they will be at 5 after the Broncos win and the Saints win. They’ll jump the Seahawks and the Eagles. If Cleveland wins, they could jump one more spot by the end of the Week.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

After NO’s win, I am not sure we beat them after the bye.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Steelers aren't beating anyone. Maybe a NCAA team but not actual teams that play in the NFL.

Was there ever a thought that they could?

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Was there ever a thought that they could?
    Yeah, before this week NO had played about as well as we had, plus TJ will be back.

We got blown out by the Bills and the Eagles… who are likely the Super Bowl representatives from each conference. We were within one score of winning the other four losses.

Buuut… back to the draft. Currently, give me:

3. Jalen Carter, DL, Georgia
    34. Joey Porter, Jr., CB, Penn St.
    66. Zion Nelson, OT, The U
    Comp: Ricky Stromberg, C, Arkansas

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

We got blown out by the Bills and the Eagles… who are likely the Super Bowl representatives from each conference. We were within one score of winning the other four losses.

Buuut… back to the draft. Currently, give me:

3. Jalen Carter, DL, Georgia
    34. Joey Porter, Jr., CB, Penn St.
    66. Zion Nelson, OT, The U
    Comp: Ricky Stromberg, C, Arkansas
    I'd take that draft class in a heartbeat.

Too early to talk draft?

Can we take:
    1st - Best OL
    2nd - Best OL left on the board
    3rd - Best OL left on the board
    Rest of picks - trade for an OC who is top 5

Can we take:
    1st - Best OL
    In the teens: YES

At #3: NO

well 11-12 spot is top 1/3 not middle end
    True but my point remains the game.This is very hard to hit in every pick that you would in return if you trade down especially if you had the chance to have a generational player

True but my point remains the game.This is very hard to hit in every pick that you would in return if you trade down especially if you had the chance to have a generational player
    the counter to that is we see so many "can't miss prospects" MISS so its an assumption you are getting a generational talent , these selections below I am betting teams loved them at that point in the draft or they would have selected someone else
    .... so giving me 3 picks in the top 75 for 1 (plus my own other selections giving me 5 in the top 75), I like my chances of striking gold multiple times

2018 alone per example ... 3 of the top 10 not worthy

Baker Mayfield
    Sam Darnold
    Josh Rosen

2017 - 5 of the top 9 picks not worthy

Trubisky
    Fournette
    Corey Davis
    Mike Williams (good but top 7 good I don't think so )
    John Ross

Goff
    Wentz
    ELi Apple
    Vernon Hargreaves

Winston
    Mariotta first 3 picks of the draft and they all suck
    Dante Fowler (one of those can't miss generational talent kind of guys that stunk it up )

Kevin White
    Vic Beasley
    ( and it gets worse from there making it even more clear the more selections you have the better your chances are at finding Gems)
    example
    Trae Waynes
    Danny Shelton
    DeVante Parker
    Melvin Gordon
    Kevin Johnson
    Cameron Erving
    Nelson Agholor
    Cedric Ogbuehi
    Shane Ray
    Breshad Perriman
    Phillip Dorsett
    Stephone Anthony

the more darts you have to throw the better your chances are at hitting the bullseye
    Last edited by Dwinsgames; 10-31-2022 at 07:50 AM.

the counter to that is we see so many "can't miss prospects" MISS .... so giving me 3 picks in the top 75 for 1 (plus my own other selections giving me 5 in the top 75), I like my chances of striking gold multiple times
    The Browns often had this philosophy in the 2010s when they favored quantity over quality....I prefer quality over quantity and if the steelers are convinced that this player can be a game changer, you can't trade down for that!

Of course the evaluation must be good!

The Browns often had this philosophy in the 2010s when they favored quantity over quality....I prefer quality over quantity and if the steelers are convinced that this player can be a game changer, you can't trade down for that!

Of course the evaluation must be good!

there is no guarantee of getting quality thats the problem and why its a crap shoot .... Dante Fowler per example was supposed to be the next great defender the 2nd coming of Lawrence Taylor they said ... how did that turn out with selection number 3 ?? I am betting the Jags would gladly go back in a time machine and trade out of that number 3 spot for a number 10-12 pick along with that teams 2nd and third rounder instead of taking Fowler .... ( that is my point in a nutshell is cant miss prospects miss all the time )

On the flip side, if Mahomes is there… not only do you take him, you trade up.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

there is no guarantee of getting quality thats the problem and why its a crap shoot .... Dante Fowler per example was supposed to be the next great defender the 2nd coming of Lawrence Taylor they said ... how did that turn out with selection number 3 ?? I am betting the Jags would gladly go back in a time machine and trade out of that number 3 spot for a number 10-12 pick along with that teams 2nd and third rounder instead of taking Fowler .... ( that is my point in a nutshell is cant miss prospects miss all the time )
    I agree with Dwins in that this might be a good year to trade back, if the Steelers are in the top 3, and acquire more draft picks throughout the upper rounds. A lot of "can't miss" prospects do miss, and other guys who are not labelled as stud prospects do turn out to be studs (see TJ Watt and Cameron Heyward as examples for the Steelers............in retrospect those guys would have been picked towards the top of the first round based on how their careers have turned out).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Who would you rather have, Troy Polamalu or 3 players? Ryan Shazier or 3 players? Ben R or 3 players?

If they end up in the top 3 -- get a guy that totally alters how teams play you and how you are able to play other teams. Especially because there are several reasons to believe that they won't be drafting there again for a decade or so.

Just as quantity can be quality...Quality is a quantity all its own.

Just gotta have faith that your scouting department can get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Just gotta have faith that your scouting department can get it right.
    True....that is what it really comes down to no matter where our favorite team is picking. I guess if the team feel there is a "generational" type player they can get in the top 3 then we have to trust the team. The Steelers have overall had a really good track record with their first round picks, with just a few duds here and there.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Consider that the 'blueprint' has been to build an OL from the inside out. Yet seems it's always OTs that get taken first in the draft and get the bigger contracts. An offense must first have an identity and a goal though for any OL selection to make sense. The OL is a 5-man unit. You can't always just throw the higher ranked/rated names in there and it works. The highest rated OL on most big boards as of Halloween 2022 is Northwestern's Pete Skoronski OT, and OSU's Paris Johnson OT. Do either come in and immediately make this OL viable?