Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The challenges of Omar Khan for the next offseason

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The challenges of Omar Khan for the next offseason

The next offseason will be his first real offseason and first draft as GM,so what will be his biggest challenges and what he needs to do if the steelers want to become a very good team again for next year or the other years after?

Do you think a fire sale and having a true rebuilding is necessary for the steelers or they are not that bad and they are just terrible on offense especially because of Matt Canada?

Your thoughts?

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Re: The challenges of Omar Khan for the next offseason

No to a fire sale. The team has some good pieces in place. A lot hinges on Pickett becoming "the guy" at QB.......and getting a viable OC in place well before the start of next season.

I believe Khan's and the Steelers biggest needs are to improve/rebuild the left side of the offensive line and get another stud defensive lineman in place. I'd also like a top cornerback and a good inside LB to replace Bush as well, but I think improving the lines and obviously getting rid of Matt Canada will yield the biggest immediate improvement.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

1. Stabilize and improve the offensive line.
    2. Upgrade the DL. Ogunjobi and Alualu are gone for different reasons. Need better options than Adams and Wormley. Leal likely starts opposite Heyward. Loudermilk not big enough for the middle. Heyward can only play so long. Etc. Just get more good DL and figure the rest out later.
    3. Improve team speed at the CB position. Small and slow CBs limit what this team can realistically achieve in coverages.
    4. Develop more depth at WR. Despite all the rosy off-season predictions, this team has 3 functional NFL receivers. Need more.
    5. Figure out the ILB position. Who are they building around there and what do they want out of the position?
    6. Find some other OLB options.
    7. Sign Edmunds and just stop worrying about safety spots for a couple of years.
    8. Get some juice at the RB position.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

OL DL and CB. Honestly think Bush is starting to play well so I’m ok with keeping him if this continues
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Fortify OL. CB needs to be addressed as well as MLB. DE needs depth and an eventual replacement for Cam and DL.

No need to bust it up because it has pieces there and I’m not positive teams would be knocking down the Steelers door if they put up a “fire sale” sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I would be against a fire sale .........

I would not be against dealing folks on the last year of their deal that you have no intention of resigning tho ....

a lot of what needs to be done is yet to be determined I think , does Picket show enough to be considered the future or a spark plug backup we have to figure that out first I think..

that said we clearly need a revamping of the 0-Line ... LG / LT both need addressed RT also needs help but they gave Chuks a chunk of cash so not sure they believe it is in the cards even though my opinion differs ....

we need RB help too I am not even close to impressed with Najee and beyond Warren the shelf is bare ...........

we passed on the 5th year option with Bush so that likely will be a hole come next year

we only signed Edmunds for 1 year so come next year he is probably gone too so that needs addressed unless they feel Norwood can step in

I'd like to say Center too but not sure they can afford to make 3 picks on the 0-Line in one draft

there is more that ideally needs done but we only have so many selections
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

DB, DL, and possibly LB all look to be positions where we will not have enough guys next year who can play at an acceptable starter level, and the answer is not on the roster.

OL would be nice if we could spare a pick for it.

RB we will probably just have to hope for the best, because we're already talking about 5th round picks at that point.

New offensive coordinator is obviously at the top of the list, probably more important than any of those.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

There’s gonna be oodles of FA $$$ too.

No idea if any non dirt balls will hit the market.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’d like to see the CB, OL and DL addressed through free agency…at least part of it and also supplemented with draft picks.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Khan faces multiple years of tough drafts before real change will be visible. The Steelers need at minimum 3 Offensive linemen, a solid D lineman, ILB and a couple of defensive backs. The team seems to be in constant turmoil.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
    Khan faces multiple years of tough drafts before real change will be visible. The Steelers need at minimum 3 Offensive linemen, a solid D lineman, ILB and a couple of defensive backs. The team seems to be in constant turmoil.
    sometimes we are loyal to a fault with players we need to let go (like coaches see matt canada per example) we allow them to linger instead of keeping that rookie prospect that might (with coaching) turn into something we are more comfortable taking on the Joe Haeg's of the world as backups than a guy who not yet proved he sucks ... they are comfortable because the guy stuck on another roster instead of looking for someone who might actually turn into a player at some point... i'll never understand it but that is the way business has been conducted for a very long time and IMO its part of the broken aspect of roster construction ...

if Joe Haeg has to play significant snaps you are in real trouble so why pay this guy who you know can not do the job at a level required when you can pay someone else who may be able to do it by the time he is asked and pay him less because he isnt a "vet" ..what is the worst outcome here you get another eventual Joe Haeg ??? I fail to see the downside but there is an upside by default he is costing you less money to sit on the bench and he MIGHT turn into something more than Joe Haeg ....

yes I realize Haeg is no longer a steeler , he was just an example but there are many examples like him
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

At LB we have Watt, Highsmith, Bush, and Jack. That is a pretty good starting 4some. Although you can never have too many LBs.

DL has been a focus lately with Leal, Loudermilk, and Adams joining aging vets.

Minkah and Terrell have Safety nicely locked down.

The CB position is maybe in the best shape of the last decade with Sutton, Spoon, and Wallace.

Obviously you keep adding quality but why would you even consider a fire sale with this defense?

The offense begins and ends with a rookie QB and a new OC. Nothing else matters until then.

sometimes we are loyal to a fault with players we need to let go (like coaches see matt canada per example) we allow them to linger instead of keeping that rookie prospect that might (with coaching) turn into something we are more comfortable taking on the Joe Haeg's of the world as backups than a guy who not yet proved he sucks ... they are comfortable because the guy stuck on another roster instead of looking for someone who might actually turn into a player at some point... i'll never understand it but that is the way business has been conducted for a very long time and IMO its part of the broken aspect of roster construction ...

if Joe Haeg has to play significant snaps you are in real trouble so why pay this guy who you know can not do the job at a level required when you can pay someone else who may be able to do it by the time he is asked and pay him less because he isnt a "vet" ..what is the worst outcome here you get another eventual Joe Haeg ??? I fail to see the downside but there is an upside by default he is costing you less money to sit on the bench and he MIGHT turn into something more than Joe Haeg ....

yes I realize Haeg is no longer a steeler , he was just an example but there are many examples like him
    Yes! I will give the team the benefit of the doubt in that this kind sorta maybe made sense when you were a SB contender and wanted trustworthy veterans that could play meaningful snaps and have a well established NFL record of only being so bad.

But, now? Totally wrong way to approach this thing. No more reason to play it safe and go with the steady veteran. Push as many unknowns into the fire as possible and see what you have.

- - - Updated - - -

Also...the CBs are, as a group, far too slow. They need speed. And tons of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    At LB we have Watt, Highsmith, Bush, and Jack. That is a pretty good starting 4some. Although you can never have too many LBs.

DL has been a focus lately with Leal, Loudermilk, and Adams joining aging vets.

Minkah and Terrell have Safety nicely locked down.

The CB position is maybe in the best shape of the last decade with Sutton, Spoon, and Wallace.

Obviously you keep adding quality but why would you even consider a fire sale with this defense?

The offense begins and ends with a rookie QB and a new OC. Nothing else matters until then.
    Bush, Edmunds and I believe a couple others aren’t on the roster for next season. Maybe that’s the “fire sale” items they are speaking of? Like Insaid somewhere else, I don’t see a lot of interest in the pieces Pittsburgh would put “on sale”.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I didn’t read everything in this thread, but we aren’t far away.

1. re-sign Edmunds

2. Use free agency to fill three holes:
    -best available LT
    -under-the-radar CB
    -best available C

3. Use the first three picks to fill three other holes (in any order):
    DL, ILB, OL

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I didn’t read everything in this thread, but we aren’t far away.

1. re-sign Edmunds

2. Use free agency to fill three holes:
    -best available LT
    -under-the-radar CB
    -best available C

3. Use the first three picks to fill three other holes (in any order):
    DL, ILB, OL
    I might want a better free agent CB and/or a CB in that first three picks. Other than that, we are on the same page to the “TEE”.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I might want a better free agent CB and/or a CB in that first three picks. Other than that, we are on the same page to the “TEE”.
    IMO, the top free-agent corners are waaay overpaid. That next tier is good and paid more proportionately to their skill level. Someone like James Bradberry… a guy who is lockdown, but not many know his name (ergo, he won’t get a huge deal).

Speed. Speed. Speed.

I don't care where they get it from (draft or FA) but they need speed in the defensive backfield and LB level.

And please stop the desperate search for a DB that plays the run like a LB and covers like a CB. If you want to find that guy so darn bad - devote draft resources to it. Stop dumpster diving in the third week of FA.

What will be his role with the steelers?

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    What will be his role with the steelers?

Nobody know?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Nobody know?
    According to the article, Weidl and Kahn have been good friends for a long time. Hopefully he will begin by helping rebuild the OL.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Assuming we have a competent OC soon I would start with solidifying the o line. Everything starts there; moving the ball and chains, controlling time of possession, giving the defense a rest, need a new LT and Guard (don’t know what happened to Dotson, thought Okafor was the weak link). Khan should make this top priority

after o line, get a NT to replace Alualu and a buck who can help with blitzing, more concerned with applying pressure on a qb and stopping the run, that will cover for pass defense.

Also, as another staff move Promote Flores and remove Austin,

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Assuming we have a competent OC soon I would start with solidifying the o line. Everything starts there; moving the ball and chains, controlling time of possession, giving the defense a rest, need a new LT and Guard (don’t know what happened to Dotson, thought Okafor was the weak link). Khan should make this top priority

after o line, get a NT to replace Alualu and a buck who can help with blitzing, more concerned with applying pressure on a qb and stopping the run, that will cover for pass defense.

I'll bite. Why Flores over Austin?

The one thing we know that Flores has a responsibility for this season is the LBs. What about their play makes you think Flores deserves more responsibility and control on the defensive side of the ball?

FWIW, I like Flores track record over Austin's but based solely on the 2022 season...there's not much to laud Flores about.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post

I don't see a problem with Austin. It's just my opinion obviously, but I think Austin and the defense have done well considering the circumstances this year. I'd like them to upgrade some positions going into next year, but I like what I have seen from Austin and the defense for the most part.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I don't see a problem with Austin. It's just my opinion obviously, but I think Austin and the defense have done well considering the circumstances this year. I'd like them to upgrade some positions going into next year, but I like what I have seen from Austin and the defense for the most part.
    I generally agree with you here, the defense isn’t the issue this season. Yeah we have been outmatched a couple of games so far, but having a competent offense helps a lot of those issues. #1 in the league in 3-outs will kill a defense fast. Our top issues are OC and OL, get those 2 things fixed and our defense will be fine.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I'll bite. Why Flores over Austin?

The one thing we know that Flores has a responsibility for this season is the LBs. What about their play makes you think Flores deserves more responsibility and control on the defensive side of the ball?

FWIW, I like Flores track record over Austin's but based solely on the 2022 season...there's not much to laud Flores about.
    Changing the OC is obviously more important but I threw that last line in at the end because I'm not impressed with Austin. Flores Miami teams have ranked top 10, he built that defense up when he was there. I'll also credit him for Bush's resurgence this year. What have we done with Austin as DC since Watt went down? Our sacks and QB pressures have tanked. We're currently ranked 23rd in sacks per game. And the DB's have been exposed as a result. If some of our DB's would play the ball a little more that would help and might've prevented one or two of those sideline TD's last Sunday - again that's coaching.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I sort of agree, but am bothered that we can't generate any pressure or sacks since Watt went down, can they not scheme some blitz packages? And are our DB's that slow or can't jam the receiver that they have to play the receiver 5 yards off the line of scrimmage?

Austin is a classic case that he is a great position coach but not a good DC.The bengals defense in 2018 under him was on pace to be one of the worst ever before he was fired in mid season

The steelers could have 3 pick in the top 45 or higher.Good first step now this is what the steelers will did with the draft pick who will matter!

My concern I have right now is that the steelers win 5-6 games for the rest of the season since the schedule will be easier and the steelers will possibly think the first half of the season was a fluke...that's the last thing we need!

My concern I have right now is that the steelers win 5-6 games for the rest of the season since the schedule will be easier and the steelers will possibly think the first half of the season was a fluke...that's the last thing we need!
    I’m sure they will…they’ll wind up winning 7-8 games now…

Then they’ll be able to blame the offensive woes on Claypool, keep Canada and move onto 2023 with some false aspirations of magical free agents, magical draft picks and false hope…