Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers' Mike Tomlin Will 'Absolutely' Consider Lineup, Staff Changes amid 1-4 Start

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers' Mike Tomlin Will 'Absolutely' Consider Lineup, Staff Changes amid 1-4 Start

Have to kick Canada out, promote Sullivan for now (we can’t change the playbook at this point. Maybe he is worse, maybe he is better, but we know Canada just isn’t working.

We have good core players, our OL looks better each week (even if incrementally) and for now our QB question is answered.

Munchak left to be closer to his grandkids here in Denver. I assume if he wanted to work, he would have a job already.

MT needs to have great coordinators, period. Just need to figure out how to get them on this team.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Re: Steelers' Mike Tomlin Will 'Absolutely' Consider Lineup, Staff Changes amid 1-4 Start

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    We will know more tomorrow during the press conference of Tomlin

- - - Updated - - -

The rams have been all-in for so many years that their last first round draft pick was in 2016...It paid off with their great result in the last 5 years but at some point when you go all-in all the time you'll end up paying the price, because of a lack of depth in your team... maybe that's the case for them at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    So who was fired today? No one? Yeah, that's what I thought. Tomlin, as usual, is full of crap. I'll believe it when I see it.
    Tomlin is a fantastic bullshitter, that's how he got the job, he uses complex sounding words and that's all they are,words. He won't do anything to change because he isn't capable of changing things for the better. The odd thing is no one on ESPN, NFL network or any other Network dare to call him out for his piss poor coaching. No one calling for him to be fired or even put on the hot Seat,he is untouchable. How Tomlin hasn't lost his job already isn't beyond understanding, its got everything to do with The Steelers organizations stance on firing coaches.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I'm all for changes, but I'm also for not making snap decisions. If he decided yesterday they will "consider" changes, expecting them to occur within 24 hours is a little quick, especially for a franchise that notoriously does not make snap decisions.

- - - Updated - - -

FIFY
    Firing Canada would not be a snap decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

isn’t this kind of like O.J. Simpson looking for the real killers?

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

If Canada was gonna get fired we would have heard about it today...as usual, we heard nothing which means it will be business as usual for another week.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    knowing tomlin, the staff changes will be firing the ball boy, and then he'll add a WR to the practice squad
    He won't do anything that rash.....he'll SUSPEND the ballboy WITH pay to make a statement

BTW....Teryl Austin should be let go as well and let Flores be the DC AND CALL THE DEFENSIVE PLAYS... Tomlin has proven he can't get it done calling the defensive plays

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I'm still not sure where the "Knee" part comes from, but the "Jerk" part is obvious.

These posts are both sad and hilarious simultaneously.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    isn’t this kind of like O.J. Simpson looking for the real killers?

This is exactly like the infamous "We will unleash hell" and then no visible changes were made. I'm expecting more of the same. All talk, no changes.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers' Mike Tomlin Will 'Absolutely' Consider Lineup, Staff Changes amid 1-4 Start

When was the last time the Steelers made a mid season coaching change?

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

George Pickens need to be promoted to Diontes routes as the primary target.

Dionte can goes to 2 and maybe someof claypools end around nonesense.

Claypool can ride bench and we try out Steve Sims who is faster for for the end around ... and if Calvin Austin 3 decides he wants to play football again try him out too

Warren needs to split with Najee.

Canada needs to go but wont, since there is no replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    George Pickens need to be promoted to Diontes routes as the primary target.

Dionte can goes to 2 and maybe someof claypools end around nonesense.

Claypool can ride bench and we try out Steve Sims who is faster for for the end around ... and if Calvin Austin 3 decides he wants to play football again try him out too

Warren needs to split with Najee.

Canada needs to go but wont, since there is no replacement.
    Our QB coach has been an OC for Tampa and the Giants. He COULDN'T be worse than Canada. I'd make that change in a heartbeat just to send the message that what's been happening for the last 22 games IS NOT acceptable. Of course, Tomlin doesn't have those kinda balls to make that decision so he'll just ride out the season and make more speeches about the standard being the standard and nothing will change, so the standard is to now accept mediocrity and do nothing active to fix it....just like every halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    Our QB coach has been an OC for Tampa and the Giants. He COULDN'T be worse than Canada. I'd make that change in a heartbeat just to send the message that what's been happening for the last 22 games IS NOT acceptable. Of course, Tomlin doesn't have those kinda balls to make that decision so he'll just ride out the season and make more speeches about the standard being the standard and nothing will change, so the standard is to now accept mediocrity and do nothing active to fix it....just like every halftime.
    Sullivan was an NFL OC. He wasn’t a good one…but he’s more qualified than Matt Canada and the bull shut he’s brought to this team the last three seasons…

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

This is exactly like the infamous "We will unleash hell" and then no visible changes were made. I'm expecting more of the same. All talk, no changes.
    I'm sure you'll catch hate on this message board though. A proper analogy is thinking that someone who hates the POTUS hates the country- when they really want what is best for the country.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    When was the last time the Steelers made a mid season coaching change?
    don't know about a mid season coaching change (coordinator or HC) but here is an interesting piece on the last Steelers HC to be fired (1968). Article is from June of this year, so if this season keeps spiraling downward assumptions made near the end of the article can change...

https://www.sports-king.com/pittsbur...ch-fired-3346/

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

So we've had a high turnover rate of assistants compared to other teams. Not a good sign, maybe the Steelers don't know how to find the right assistants or maybe their a scapegoat, who knows, Article is from 2015

"Standing out in that is the bit on how Tomlin didn't make a coaching change in his first three seasons with the team. From 2010 through yesterday, the team has parted ways with 14 assistant coaches, creating one of the highest turnover rates in the league."

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/1/13/7536539/steelers-coaching-staff-changes-fired-left-mike-tomlin

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Okay, so Tomlin had his press conference today. Who was fired? Nobody? Okay, see yinz later.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    Okay, so Tomlin had his press conference today. Who was fired? Nobody? Okay, see yinz later.
    We brought in 5 WRs for tryouts tho!
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    So we've had a high turnover rate of assistants compared to other teams. Not a good sign, maybe the Steelers don't know how to find the right assistants or maybe their a scapegoat, who knows, Article is from 2015

"Standing out in that is the bit on how Tomlin didn't make a coaching change in his first three seasons with the team. From 2010 through yesterday, the team has parted ways with 14 assistant coaches, creating one of the highest turnover rates in the league."

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/1/13/7536539/steelers-coaching-staff-changes-fired-left-mike-tomlin
    It’s not surprising, the assistant coaches have been less than stellar.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

At this point just play for the #1 pick.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Trade the #1 pick down to #4 + 2024 1st rounder and pick up Anderson

TJ and Anderson will be like Greene / Lloyd but even better! Might actually be like a cheat code like having Lawrence Taylor and Derrick Thomas on the same team. QB's would HATE playing us

Likely won't happen though. The Steelers schedule softens in the 2nd half and they'll likely play themselves out of a top 5 or even top 10 pick, especially when/if the defense gets healthy

Still no changes other than a couple shitty signings to the practice squad…lol

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

What changes are there? Who's left to change out? We're already down to backups on defense, and the offense are all new guys or injured, mostly. Change the offensive play caller is all I'm asking for. Not some total overhaul. Still won't help on defense but maybe we can score every once in a while to make things look better at least?

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    We brought in 5 WRs for tryouts tho!

Oh-em-gee! We're going to the Super Bowl now, baby.

You always make me laugh, Duck.

- - - Updated - - -

Still no changes other than a couple shitty signings to the practice squad…lol

Good grief. There's more happening in Farmer Ben's garden than there is with our professional football team.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    They would draft a RB or WR.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    They would draft a RB or WR.
    Trade down to #2 or #3 and get Will Anderson. Bring back the days of Greene / Lloyd but even better. Shore up the OL/DL with the extra picks

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

This is an honest question: other than a situation with an offensive minded HC who can take over play calling duties, has there ever been a situation where an OC was fired mid-season and the situation objectively improved?

I know, I know. The obvious answer is, “well, it can’t get any worse.” But I don’t know if that’s true. Let’s look at the actual goal this season, and that’s probably to help facilitate Kenny Pickett’s growth as much as possible given the realities of the playbook we have. I can’t see it really helping Pickett, or anyone else on offense, to simply replace the play caller with some other less than qualified guy who didn’t even design the plays, so probably doesn’t even have the theoretical vision of how this scheme is supposed to work when everything comes together.

We’re not a competitive team this year. It’s sad but it’s the reality of it. I’m not interested in making moves just to punish someone or to “send a message.” What practical message does it actually send to would be coordinators that could either come here or go somewhere else next year? Is it a message that actually puts us in a better position with them? I don’t think so.

We’re stuck with Canada’s system this year, so we might as well let him either tweak it slightly and maybe improve, or continue to fail with it and we know exactly what needs to be done the day the season ends. But firing him now just to let some other nobody try to connect the dots to Canada’s puzzle seems pointless, except perhaps for some kind of vindictive satisfaction, which does nothing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    This is an honest question: other than a situation with an offensive minded HC who can take over play calling duties, has there ever been a situation where an OC was fired mid-season and the situation objectively improved?

I know, I know. The obvious answer is, “well, it can’t get any worse.” But I don’t know if that’s true. Let’s look at the actual goal this season, and that’s probably to help facilitate Kenny Pickett’s growth as much as possible given the realities of the playbook we have. I can’t see it really helping Pickett, or anyone else on offense, to simply replace the play caller with some other less than qualified guy who didn’t even design the plays, so probably doesn’t even have the theoretical vision of how this scheme is supposed to work when everything comes together.

We’re not a competitive team this year. It’s sad but it’s the reality of it. I’m not interested in making moves just to punish someone or to “send a message.” What practical message does it actually send to would be coordinators that could either come here or go somewhere else next year? Is it a message that actually puts us in a better position with them? I don’t think so.

We’re stuck with Canada’s system this year, so we might as well let him either tweak it slightly and maybe improve, or continue to fail with it and we know exactly what needs to be done the day the season ends. But firing him now just to let some other nobody try to connect the dots to Canada’s puzzle seems pointless, except perhaps for some kind of vindictive satisfaction, which does nothing for me.
    Yes. It’s happened quite a few times and I believe it was 63% of the time that the record was better with the new OC vs when they had the original OC.

Banned Array title="Burgettstown Bob is an unknown quantity at this point">

Well, what many don't realize is, "We Will Unleash Hell" is an unreleased Dr. Dre/Nate Dogg demo that Tomlin played for DJ and Claypool while giving them a fade at the barber shop this past week. Supposedly that jenk is straight up whack.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Yes. It’s happened quite a few times and I believe it was 63% of the time that the record was better with the new OC vs when they had the original OC.
    Okay, fair enough. I just think this is more of a situation where in game play calling isn’t the main problem. I mean we’ve had OCs before who had good play books but were just bad at situational play calling. But this seems like a case where it’s hard to say that the plays would be effective if only called in a different pattern by ANYONE other than the guy who designed them. I just don’t see what that will do for us.

Really the only person I would think might be an interesting choice as in game play caller using this playbook and terminology would be Big Ben. But there’s no way he’d do it, not only because he’s enjoying life but he isn’t any more of a fan of this scheme than we are.

Hell, maybe let Pickett call his own plays. Succeed or fail that would at least be a fun experiment to watch, and it would allow Pickett to work out that part of his brain, like a muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Okay, fair enough. I just think this is more of a situation where in game play calling isn’t the main problem. I mean we’ve had OCs before who had good play books but were just bad at situational play calling. But this seems like a case where it’s hard to say that the plays would be effective if only called in a different pattern by ANYONE other than the guy who designed them. I just don’t see what that will do for us.

Really the only person I would think might be an interesting choice as in game play caller using this playbook and terminology would be Big Ben. But there’s no way he’d do it, not only because he’s enjoying life but he isn’t any more of a fan of this scheme than we are.

Hell, maybe let Pickett call his own plays. Succeed or fail that would at least be a fun experiment to watch, and it would allow Pickett to work out that part of his brain, like a muscle.
    To be honest, I'd be more than willing to let the kid call some of the plays. Canada has proven he has no idea what he's doing. If Kenny is calling some of the plays, he'll develop an even better understanding of the guys he's playing with. He'll make mistakes but he seems sharp enough that he'll learn from them. In the long run, it might serve him well.