Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 5th Overall Selection

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: The 5th Overall Selection

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They won’t do that…they don’t trade down.
    Maybe it will change now that Colbert is gone...we will see

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Maybe it will change now that Colbert is gone...we will see
    One can hope right? That could be big for Khan to accumulate those picks and start to get more of “his guys”
    And his finger prints on the roster…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    One can hope right? That could be big for Khan to accumulate those picks and start to get more of “his guys”
    And his finger prints on the roster…
    I hope it will be the case

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

UPDATE: Carolina has the #1 overall. They will draft a QB.

The Steelers have the #2... and the next two teams need a QB. We can hope that they get into a bidding war, and we take one of them to the cleaners. Then, at pick 3 or 4, you gotta take Will Anderson (OLB, 'Bama). Again, I am a believer in Dongsmith, but Anderson is TJ Watt, part II.

That said, with three QBs, Detroit and Washington could both stand pat and not have to trade up. But, the TEXANS have the collateral to move up. Trading back with them would be sweeeeet. Something like this:

1. Carolina - Will Levis, QB, Kentucky
    2. HOUSTON - CJ Stroud, QB, Ohio St.
    3. Detroit - Bryce Young, QB
    4. Washington - SOL
    6. PITTSBURGH - Jalen Carter, DE, Georgia
    8. PITTSBURGH - Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

The Steelers have the #2... and the next two teams need a QB. We can hope that they get into a bidding war, and we take one of them to the cleaners. Then, at pick 3 or 4, you gotta take Will Anderson (OLB, 'Bama). Again, I am a believer in Dongsmith, but Anderson is TJ Watt, part II.

That said, with three QBs, Detroit and Washington could both stand pat and not have to trade up. But, the TEXANS have the collateral to move up. Trading back with them would be sweeeeet. Something like this:

4. Washington - SOL
    This would make me pee my pants if this played out lol. I expect Carter to go top 5 though. If we get the #5 pick I hope it's him. Cam is getting old and everyone else on the DL looks pretty mid with the exception of Leal who I think will be good, though just good and not 'game changer', like Carter will likely be.

Ringo is probably on the list, and perhaps Paris Johnson Jr (OT) though they could probably get the latter still if they trade down.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    This would make me pee my pants if this played out lol. I expect Carter to go top 5 though. If we get the #5 pick I hope it's him. Cam is getting old and everyone else on the DL looks pretty mid with the exception of Leal who I think will be good, though just good and not 'game changer', like Carter will likely be.

Ringo is probably on the list, and perhaps Paris Johnson Jr (OT) though they could probably get the latter still if they trade down.
    After a trade with Houston, 4 of the top 6 teams would need a QB… and IMO, the top three picks will indeed be those QBs, with a fourth (Anthony Richardson, Florida) being a fourth possibility. Let’s just say it’s not Richardson, that leaves picks 4-6 as such:

4. Las Vegas
    5. Atlanta
    6. Pittsburgh

The Raiders have Chandler Jones and Maxx Crosby; so, they could indeed pass on Will Anderson. If Atlanta doesn’t take a QB, they could indeed take Carter (they need everything), but the also need O-line even worse than we do.

So… Carter could indeed slip to #6 (although, I agree: he very easily could go in the top 5). And, if Anderson drops to 6, you almost HAVE to pair him with TJ Watt.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

4. Washington - SOL
    Update we will have the #1 pick after the next 3 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Update we will have the #1 pick after the next 3 weeks!
    Pffft... in three weeks, we will be 4-4 and atop the division.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I believe poor drafting in recent years is largely responsible for the situation we find ourselves in today:

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I believe poor drafting in recent years is largely responsible for the situation we find ourselves in today:

In retrospect, with Tuitt retiring somewhat out of the blue, the Steelers today likely wish they had signed and kept Javon Hargrave when he became a free agent vs giving the franchise tag to Bud Dupree that offseason. The Steelers D-line would look much better today with Hargrave in the mix.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers were paying Ben and Antonio Brown big time money which ate up the cap. Hargrave, Dupree, Conner, and Smith-Schuster stick around if that wasn't the case.

In hindsight, refusing/failing to move on from Big Ben after 2018/19 set the rebuild back quite a bit.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    In retrospect, with Tuitt retiring somewhat out of the blue, the Steelers today likely wish they had signed and kept Javon Hargrave when he became a free agent vs giving the franchise tag to Bud Dupree that offseason. The Steelers D-line would look much better today with Hargrave in the mix.
    Short term Dupree was the more valuable player to win with Ben’s final seasons.

Long term, it’s Hargrave.

Decisions were made.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

If KP doesn’t play well the rest of the season (he will though) I would take a QB at 5. Most important position on the team. Otherwise I would take a LT. OL is the second most important part of the team.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Yeah, it worked out great that we had $21M in dead money from Mr. Big Chest in Hargrave's last season if we were going to extend him, then locked in $16M for one year of Bud Dupree.

I mean, it's not like we knew that two of our three starting DL were in their 30s and we had no one to replace them. Yes, drafting Hargrave so we could let him walk after his rookie contract made perfect sense. After all, you could never change anything to get him on the field more.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

What about 2020 and 2021?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    What about 2020 and 2021?
    You would pretty much expect those guys to still be on the team, unless you REALLY fucked up.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    You would pretty much expect those guys to still be on the team, unless you REALLY fucked up.
    But it’s not for players still on the team or not. The post just says ‘recent poor drafting’. Am I misreading again?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    But it’s not for players still on the team or not. The post just says ‘recent poor drafting’. Am I misreading again?
    please feel free to add Kendrick Green to the list.

please feel free to add Kendrick Green to the list.
    Already done.

I just think the last 2 drafts have been better. I don’t completely agree with the grades of the players either. But I’m not gonna nitpick.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

DL became depleted - aged out quickly. Tuitt gone, Cam and Alualu aging out fast. Add TJ injured and Highsmith ineffective on his own - still I dont really blame the steelers for this as much as their negligence in not replacing AV, Pouncey, and DeCastro

I get the idea of drafting a QB… but, even if Kenny looks bad, how would we know if it’s due to his limited skills versus having no offensive help and an OC who is sh!t???

Unless Kenny looks completely lost, I’m going Carter (or Anderson).

I get the idea of drafting a QB… but, even if Kenny looks bad, how would we know if it’s due to his limited skills versus having no offensive help and an OC who is sh!t???

Unless Kenny looks completely lost, I’m going Carter (or Anderson).
    if it’s not obvious to some of us, I hope the guys in the coaching staff will be able to tell at least. If not, we have bigger problems (to borrow someone else’s phrase). My one concern with KP is the grip on the ball, let’s see how it works in december and January (only one other QB in the NFL wears gloves)

Another concern is if the Steelers can finally shell out some bucks for decent assistants. I would do a complete overhaul - defense, offense and special teams coordinators

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    if it’s not obvious to some of us, I hope the guys in the coaching staff will be able to tell at least. If not, we have bigger problems (to borrow someone else’s phrase)
    Some would have given up on Peyton after his rookie season…

Some would have given up on Peyton after his rookie season…
    and the Steelers already have a history (Unitas and Len Dawson)