Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 5th Overall Selection

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The 5th Overall Selection

The Steelers currently have the 5th overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft. Do not fret, they will actually be drafting 31st (there are only 31 selections in R1 of next year's Draft). For the time being, it is a fun little exercise to think about the following:

Who would you take at #5?

I would not take a QB.
    A LT makes a ton of sense.
    Alex Highsmith is amazing, but Will Anderson (OLB, 'Bama) paired with TJ Watt would be unfair.

Ultimately, I have to go with Jalen Carter (DE, Georgia). We need DL, and he was the best D-lineman on that Georgia defense last year... a D-line that had three other players drafted in R1. That said, honestly, Carter dropping to 5 is sort of unlikely. Still, he's my pick at 5.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Re: The 5th Overall Selection

Jordan Addison. One year wonder college QB reunited with their deep threat WR = .... SUPER BOWL!

jk though it worked for the Bengals.

Honestly I think best OL or DL. Sadly after watching Heyward this year it's time we look for a replacement. He's got 1-2 years left in him tops. He's looking his age. Our OL actually is starting to look decent. One or two solid pieces can turn them really good probably.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

if it stays the same and drafting at 5th over all ...

I can't help myself but to trade back to around 12 .... you can still get a great player and some other fine selections ...

Prime example Micah Parsons was pick 12 ....
    Antione Winfield was pick 13 ( rd 2 ).....
    Terry McLaurin pick 12 (rd 3)

the type of players you could potentially snag by moving back just 7 spots vs just 1 player standing pat ..I dunno about you but I would rather have 3 high to mid level bets than just 1 in a crap shoot and that is what the draft is in many ways
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Trade back if the offer is great, but if the steelers are in the top 5-10, I'm not taking an O-lineman with this pick....It's not good value for me...We can take a very good player at the o-line position in early second round

When you draft really high, you need to take a true game changer

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Trade back if the offer is great, but if the steelers are in the top 5-10, I'm not taking an O-lineman with this pick....It's not good value for me...We can take a very good player at the o-line position in early second round

When you draft really high, you need to take a true game changer

agreed .... if picking 5 I would take the 12th over all their 2nd and 3rd round picks and be quite pleased ...I still get a quality selection pick up 2 more very high potential selections ( and still have my own giving me 5 picks in the first 75 players off the board thats a solid haul )

if forced to select at that pick point it better be a game changer , shut down corner , Face of the Franchise QB (if needed), Elite pass rusher the Steelers don't draft that high ever so they have to hit a homerun if they do
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    agreed .... if picking 5 I would take the 12th over all their 2nd and 3rd round picks and be quite pleased ...I still get a quality selection pick up 2 more very high potential selections ( and still have my own giving me 5 picks in the first 75 players off the board thats a solid haul )

if forced to select at that pick point it better be a game changer , shut down corner , Face of the Franchise QB (if needed), Elite pass rusher the Steelers don't draft that high ever so they have to hit a homerun if they do
    If the steelers trade back if they're in the top 5, that would be for a first round pick for 2024 with that if it would be up to me for it to be good value

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Gotta go OT!!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I top LT would be a game changer. Now, a guard? No. Then I am on the trade-back train.

But this team has a ton of holes and lacks impact talent all over the field. Getting a super-duper star level pick could accelerate their rebuild by a year or two.

I would prioritize LT, then look at DB, then trade back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I top LT would be a game changer. Now, a guard? No. Then I am on the trade-back train.

But this team has a ton of holes and lacks impact talent all over the field. Getting a super-duper star level pick could accelerate their rebuild by a year or two.

I would prioritize LT, then look at DB, then trade back.
    Maybe DL too with Heyward become older....

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Maybe DL too with Heyward become older....
    So I live in a fantasy world where a combination of Leal, Adams, and Loudermilk can be the next generation along the DL. Now, none of those guys (MAYBE Leal) have the potential to become a Heyward but they could be a solid enough group.

That being said....you want to give this team a game-wrecking monster along the DL at #5? Absolutely, I'm not going to complain about that. Ever.

So I live in a fantasy world where a combination of Leal, Adams, and Loudermilk can be the next generation along the DL. Now, none of those guys (MAYBE Leal) have the potential to become a Heyward but they could be a solid enough group.

That being said....you want to give this team a game-wrecking monster along the DL at #5? Absolutely, I'm not going to complain about that. Ever.
    I just don't know the best players available for the next draft, but if it's possible to have the next Aaron Donald or close to that, I'll take this pick immediately!

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I tend to agree with you here, but my first pick has got to be a corner. We have a couple that can easily take other teams 2-3s, it would be helpful for us to have a shut down corner IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I tend to agree with you here, but my first pick has got to be a corner. We have a couple that can easily take other teams 2-3s, it would be helpful for us to have a shut down corner IMO.
    I don't disagree.

All things being equal and I was running this team with a top 5 selection, I am laser focused on LT and CB. I think those could be the most impactful short and long term additions to the roster.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

You would almost have to go DL. We've got one guy we can count on beyond this year.

I think taking a LT with a top-5 or even a top-10 pick is a fool's trap, it's like using sabermetrics to outsmart yourself. It is the most overvalued position in the draft.

No, that's not saying it's fine to have a shitty left tackle, that's not what I said. You don't need to spend a top-5 pick on it, that's all. Take the best offensive lineman in the league, and compare his impact to that of a pretty good offensive lineman. Now do that for any other position on either side of the ball. At other positions, the best guy in the league's impact is "holy shit, this guy changes the entire game," which is what you should hope for in a top-5 pick. At left tackle, the best player in the league's impact is, "oh yeah, good thing we have that guy being consistent, he's a great member of the supporting cast." Not worth that kind of draft pick no matter how good the player is - the position puts the lowest ceiling on his impact out of any.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    You would almost have to go DL. We've got one guy we can count on beyond this year.

I think taking a LT with a top-5 or even a top-10 pick is a fool's trap, it's like using sabermetrics to outsmart yourself. It is the most overvalued position in the draft.

No, that's not saying it's fine to have a shitty left tackle, that's not what I said. You don't need to spend a top-5 pick on it, that's all. Take the best offensive lineman in the league, and compare his impact to that of a pretty good offensive lineman. Now do that for any other position on either side of the ball. At other positions, the best guy in the league's impact is "holy shit, this guy changes the entire game," which is what you should hope for in a top-5 pick. At left tackle, the best player in the league's impact is, "oh yeah, good thing we have that guy being consistent, he's a great member of the supporting cast." Not worth that kind of draft pick no matter how good the player is - the position puts the lowest ceiling on his impact out of any.
    100% agree on this.Maybe it can worth a top 20 pick,but never a top 5 pick!...This is 2022!

I am sure the draft will have some very good LT left in early second round

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

100% agree on this.Maybe it can worth a top 20 pick,but never a top 5 pick!...This is 2022!

I am sure the draft will have some very good LT left in early second round
    Depends, if you can get someone like Orlando Pace you definitely spend a top 5 pick on them

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    Depends, if you can get someone like Orlando Pace you definitely spend a top 5 pick on them
    I don't think you do it even then. Assuming you don't blow the pick, you should be getting a player similar to Orlando Pace at a more impactful position. Would you rather have Orlando Pace or Troy Polamalu? Larry Fitzgerald? Adrian Peterson? TJ Watt? Those are the types of players you ought to be getting with those picks, if you're not looking for a QB.

You'll notice that you could even get some of those guys outside the top 5, which makes it not a terrible idea to trade the pick to some team desperate for a QB. But you wouldn't be disappointed spending the pick straight-up.

If a blue chip OL prospect like DeCastro or Pouncey is still hanging around by the middle of Round 1, by all means, go for it. But with a single-digit pick, there is always a better option, whether it's a player or a trade.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I don't think you do it even then. Assuming you don't blow the pick, you should be getting a player similar to Orlando Pace at a more impactful position. Would you rather have Orlando Pace or Troy Polamalu? Larry Fitzgerald? Adrian Peterson? TJ Watt? Those are the types of players you ought to be getting with those picks, if you're not looking for a QB.

You'll notice that you could even get some of those guys outside the top 5, which makes it not a terrible idea to trade the pick to some team desperate for a QB. But you wouldn't be disappointed spending the pick straight-up.

If a blue chip OL prospect like DeCastro or Pouncey is still hanging around by the middle of Round 1, by all means, go for it. But with a single-digit pick, there is always a better option, whether it's a player or a trade.
    Well, a great blindside tackle's worth can't be stated enough. This guy was known for pancaking DLinemen and almost never allowing sacks / pressure. Sure it's not as 'measurable' as defenders, or ball carriers / receivers, but I don't think it's any coincidence that when he was in his prime, the Rams offense was unstoppable. They could do anything to you, whether with running you over with Marshall Faulk, or giving Warner all the time in the world to throw. Pace probably had a lot to do with that.

I do think that DL is more of a pressing need (OL actually looks like they're pulling it together, while the DL can't stop a nose bleed and Cam is looking old), but I'd say take the BPA on either line or trade back. Though the front office if they decide that Kenny Pickett is the future and looks the part of a franchise QB, I can see them getting him some protection to protect that investment.

So, if I am hearing (reading?) you correctly, is it fair to say your position is that single-digit picks should go to skill positions unless there's someone stupidly above and beyond in the defensive front seven to spend the pick on?

If so, I'd agree with the following caveat: if there is a single, absolute glaring hole in the o line and it's the one thing that looks to be keeping the team down more than anything else, I would go ahead and pick for the position with a single-digit first round pick (provided there's someone whose talent means they're likely to be taken in the top third or even half of the first round). Of course, there's caveats to that as well, such as if we could trade down knowing there are two or three guys who all could step in and fill the hole.

You have to consider what other teams are likely to do as well. If you want an Orlando Pace...then he isn't going to be there at the top of the second round. Cam Heyward 2.0 might.

That 6 foot+ corner that runs like a gazelle on cocaine is getting picked inside the top 12. But I can find 2 dozen of the same profile WRs throughout the draft.

It isn't a simple argument.

Plus there is an argument that it is hard to underestimate a true elite OT. Instead of figuring out how you slide help his way so the QB can have time to throw deep - okay...maybe we motion a TE over...but that gives this other thing away...hmmm a RB stays in...that might work....You can just say...this dude erases pass rush from the entire left side on just about anything we run. Now you can use those RBs and TEs to start making coverage stressed out rather than keeping your QB upright.

Simpler response: Rams lose Whitworth. Offense worse. Sewell plays better for the Lions and they are leading the league in points and rushing.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    So, if I am hearing (reading?) you correctly, is it fair to say your position is that single-digit picks should go to skill positions unless there's someone stupidly above and beyond in the defensive front seven to spend the pick on?

If so, I'd agree with the following caveat: if there is a single, absolute glaring hole in the o line and it's the one thing that looks to be keeping the team down more than anything else, I would go ahead and pick for the position with a single-digit first round pick (provided there's someone whose talent means they're likely to be taken in the top third or even half of the first round). Of course, there's caveats to that as well, such as if we could trade down knowing there are two or three guys who all could step in and fill the hole.
    The first part is basically it, although DL/LB are just as valid as skill positions. A dominant player at any of those will have more impact than a single OL.

As far as the second half of your post, if you are picking in the top 10, certainly the top 5 - you are not just one LT away from pulling it all together.

Generally speaking, if you are not looking for a QB, and there is not another pick that jumps out at you and screams "this guy has future All-Pro written all over him," then you're probably better off trading for two or three picks who still ought to be very good players. But in the top 5, you really ought to be able to find someone who fits that bill.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

My top three picks

LT, DE, and ILB (what Devin Bush should've been or the elusive Buck that can cover RB's and TE's), not in that order necessarily, but those seem like the most pressing needs.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The 1st round should be used to get a game changer player, period. If the trade value is there and the class is deep enough I would have no problem with a trade. Trading just to pile picks is not smart shopping, IMO

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

You have to consider what other teams are likely to do as well. If you want an Orlando Pace...then he isn't going to be there at the top of the second round. Cam Heyward 2.0 might.

That 6 foot+ corner that runs like a gazelle on cocaine is getting picked inside the top 12. But I can find 2 dozen of the same profile WRs throughout the draft.

It isn't a simple argument.

Plus there is an argument that it is hard to underestimate a true elite OT. Instead of figuring out how you slide help his way so the QB can have time to throw deep - okay...maybe we motion a TE over...but that gives this other thing away...hmmm a RB stays in...that might work....You can just say...this dude erases pass rush from the entire left side on just about anything we run. Now you can use those RBs and TEs to start making coverage stressed out rather than keeping your QB upright.

Simpler response: Rams lose Whitworth. Offense worse. Sewell plays better for the Lions and they are leading the league in points and rushing.
    Very good point.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

If there is a true #1 LT in a draft, it’s worth it. He can negate the TJ Watts of the world. That said, for the past few years, there’s been 4-5 “top tier” guys in each draft, but not a true #1. In turn, the difference between the first one drafted and the fifth one drafted is essentially just “preference”.

Same goes for CB: which one is the best is debatable.

Jalen Carter is the Aaron Donald of this draft. He is leaps and bounds better than any other DL in this draft. As I mentioned earlier, he was the BEST defender on that Geoergia team… which saw three DL drafted in R1 of last year’s draft.

SUMMATION:
    Aside from Will Anderson (and the QBs), there isn’t going to be a more impactful player than Jalen Carter.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

If the draft happened today the Pittsburgh Steelers would hold the FIRST OVERALL SELECTION

Last edited by hawaiiansteeler; 10-09-2022 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    If the draft happened today the Pittsburgh Steelers would hold the FIRST OVERALL SELECTION

crazy!

That would be kinda great. Lots of teams behind them that NEED a QB. Hold an auction and get a king's ransom from somebody.

Assuming KP doesn't implode....

That would be kinda great. Lots of teams behind them that NEED a QB. Hold an auction and get a king's ransom from somebody.

If this is the case,I ask at least their first round pick for 2023,2024 and 2025 and more after that!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They won’t do that…they don’t trade down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler