Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pickett announced as starter!

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Re: Pickett announced as starter!

Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

No brainer.

The Steelers are 1-3. They literally have nothing left to lose but more games. Let's go. We may suck or we may have 2004 redux, but its time.

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Yay!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

It had to be done. He's a rookie, yet was more decisive, productive, and aggressive than the veteran.

Trubisky has been hesitant in the pocket. He takes some shots downfield, but on a snap to snap basis he holds the ball too long waiting to see guys open and not throwing with anticipation.

The entire offense went to a different level with Pickett running the show. I think the players believe Pickett is the better option.

I believe this is clearly the right move.

Now let's watch him develop.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Serious question, is Mitch still the captain and has to go on to the field for coin tosses?

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Well, at worst we will know whether our #1 pick will go towards a QB or something else. At best he will get the offense going as best he can given the OC’s complete lack of play calling/design. With Watt coming back soon, maybe we can sneak in a couple wins before the bye with a solid defense and an offense that doesn’t go 3-out 90% of their plays.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Well, at worst we will know whether our #1 pick will go towards a QB or something else. At best he will get the offense going as best he can given the OC’s complete lack of play calling/design. With Watt coming back soon, maybe we can sneak in a couple wins before the bye with a solid defense and an offense that doesn’t go 3-out 90% of their plays.
    do you really think they would spend back to back 1st on a QB ? the NFL is full of rags to riches QB stories. guys like Manning, Elway, bradshaw and aikman were awful their rookie seasons. if anything tomlin would be more likely to give a player playing below the line more time than they deserve.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

This should’ve been done immediately following the Week 3 loss…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Naa. There's nothing wrong with waiting until you see tape and then making a decision. In fact, I'd guess that was probably decided at half time of last week's game but just not shared until now. It does nothing to announce it early, especially as Monday is a tape day for the coaches and recovery day for the players.

EDIT: Oops, you said week 3 loss.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Well, Trubisky showed "improvement" in the Browns loss and they gave him ten extra days and a game to build on it. Mitch not only didn't built upon it but he got worse. The Steelers (like many of us did) saw this film before and were like fuck this.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Well, Trubisky showed "improvement" in the Browns loss and they gave him ten extra days and a game to build on it. Mitch not only didn't built upon it but he got worse. The Steelers (like many of us did) saw this film before and were like fuck this.
    It's too bad they didn't use those 10 days to prepare Kenny. This probably would have been a W, although Pickett looked great considering no practice reps whatsoever and coming in cold after halftime

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    It's too bad they didn't use those 10 days to prepare Kenny. This probably would have been a W, although Pickett looked great considering no practice reps whatsoever and coming in cold after halftime
    true

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Yep. This isn't that great of a look for Tomlin.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

But he did have the advantage of the Jets not preparing for him. That’s always when Mason looked his best.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

I'd like to congratulate the people who wanted Pickett week 1. Clearly you were right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    I'd like to congratulate the people who wanted Pickett week 1. Clearly you were right.
    I was ok with giving Mitch a chance, but I didn't quite understand the coach's decision to start him because there wasn't really much of a gap between Trubisky and Pickett based off what we saw. Just my own opinion, but if the rookie is already as good as the veteran, you go with the young guy.

My patience for Mitch immediately took a turn after how badly he played vs Cincy. Even with 5 turnovers and a defensive score he still almost lost us the game. IMO that was already seeing enough. I was expecting middle-tier veteran play, instead I saw bottom 5 QB play.

I was ok with giving Mitch a chance, but I didn't quite understand the coach's decision to start him because there wasn't really much of a gap between Trubisky and Pickett based off what we saw. Just my own opinion, but if the rookie is already as good as the veteran, you go with the young guy.

My patience for Mitch immediately took a turn after how badly he played vs Cincy. Even with 5 turnovers and a defensive score he still almost lost us the game. IMO that was already seeing enough. I was expecting middle-tier veteran play, instead I saw bottom 5 QB play.
    My thoughts exactly

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

At least Tomlin went ahead and made the decision. I was worried he would keep on dragging this out for several more weeks and starting Trubisky. I know many thought Pickett should have started week 1, and I think with each week more and more fans were coming to the conclusion that Trubisky is not a viable starter.

I'll give Tomlin credit for not waiting any longer and making the switch, even though I personally wished he did it sooner.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    That’s not how Tomlin operates though…not remotely close to his thought process.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

NFL Insider Expects Steelers to Trade Mitch Trubisky

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news...mitch-trubisky

"Don’t be shocked, either, if the Steelers end up moving Trubisky before the trade deadline, now less than a month away, with inevitable QB injuries mounting around the league and this team open to stockpiling more draft capital," La Canfora writes.
    they destroyed any value he may have had by letting him stink it up in public ... rudolf probably has more trade value at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    NFL Insider Expects Steelers to Trade Mitch Trubisky

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news...mitch-trubisky
    doubtful that'll happen, what value does he have? he's shown his ceiling is bottom 5

doubtful that'll happen, what value does he have? he's shown his ceiling is bottom 5
    exactly. his value was higher BEFORE the season started. after he show cased he still sucks, nobody is going to take the contract the steelers gave him. i'd pluck a practice squad player off someones roster before i traded for mitch.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

If not for the MB and AB trades I would’ve said the Raiders (since they’ve traditionally been into rehab projects) but now? Nope. Still a desperate team with an injury can pop up. Steelers should just cut their losses and take what they can get

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    If not for the MB and AB trades I would’ve said the Raiders (since they’ve traditionally been into rehab projects) but now? Nope. Still a desperate team with an injury can pop up. Steelers should just cut their losses and take what they can get
    the only thing they will get is an open roster spot if they cut him. i speculated the reason they rolled with the 3 QB's this season was with the intent of trading one to a desperate team. had MT played better it would have been rudolf.

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    At least Tomlin went ahead and made the decision. I was worried he would keep on dragging this out for several more weeks and starting Trubisky. I know many thought Pickett should have started week 1, and I think with each week more and more fans were coming to the conclusion that Trubisky is not a viable starter.

I'll give Tomlin credit for not waiting any longer and making the switch, even though I personally wished he did it sooner.
    One week sooner and we would have been tied for first in the AFCN, 2 weeks sooner and we would have been first in the AFCN . . .

He’s got backup value. He plays like a short term backup. 7th round pick to a team like the Seahawks or someone struggling with a back up QB…wait…

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

He’s got backup value. He plays like a short term backup. 7th round pick to a team like the Seahawks or someone struggling with a back up QB…wait…
    But the $7M a season is where it gets tricky.

That’s what you should be paying for a decent backup. Is Trubisky a “decent backup”? Probably decent…but that’s tops.

Steelers have gone years cheaping out on back up QB salaries. That’s why they get stuck with Josh Dobbs, Landry Jones, Mason Rudolph types…: