Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Did You See

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

What Did You See

I wasn’t able to pay full attention to today’s game.

Interested in what you all saw with Pickett’s play.

The best thing I saw was he looked fearless. It led to turnovers that certainly significantly contributed to the loss but if he’s gonna live up to his billing being fearless seems to be a good starting place.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Re: What Did You See

Honestly, he moved the offense and played with confidence, 2 things Mitch couldn't do consistently. I don't think he went 3 and out a single time, the offense just moved with him in there.

Sure, there was 3 INT's, but with the exception of the Hail Mary, every single pass he's thrown hit his receivers in the hands. He gave his weapons chances to make plays. He wasn't perfect by any means but his accuracy is on point, and he throws a nice ball on the move. Does kinda come across as a gunslinger type, you might have to take some good with the bad. But he'll try to let his playmakers make plays.

The play that impressed me the most was imo, a "big time" throw. He had a linebacker bearing on him basically untouched, but he stood in the pocket and delivered a perfect pass to Freiermuth knowing he was gonna get decked. He did take a hard shot, but got up smiling and jawing at the Jets defender. The kid's got an attitude, and I like it lol.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    Honestly, he moved the offense and played with confidence, 2 things Mitch couldn't do consistently. I don't think he went 3 and out a single time, the offense just moved with him in there.

Sure, there was 3 INT's, but with the exception of the Hail Mary, every single pass he's thrown hit his receivers in the hands. He gave his weapons chances to make plays. He wasn't perfect by any means but his accuracy is on point, and he throws a nice ball on the move. Does kinda come across as a gunslinger type, you might have to take some good with the bad. But he'll try to let his playmakers make plays.

The play that impressed me the most was imo, a "big time" throw. He had a linebacker bearing on him basically untouched, but he stood in the pocket and delivered a perfect pass to Freiermuth knowing he was gonna get decked. He did take a hard shot, but got up smiling and jawing at the Jets defender. The kid's got an attitude, and I like it lol.
    Basically this

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I saw a franchise-level Quarterback or at least on that level. The interceptions don't bother me. They were not off-target throws or bad decisions because Pickett didn't see Linebackers or safeties. Pickett got the ball up there and the Jets DB's just made great plays. That secondary is very underrated. Those close plays will become big plays soon. George Pickens got his first 100 yard game today. The team's dynamic changed when he entered the game, we ran out of gas near the end again, but you can't deny the tape. The Steelers looked like a legitimate team. Pickett gave them a chance to win. Something we haven't seen since 2000's Ben. Leadership and balls is contagious, and its clear the team responds to Pickett.

That throw to Freiermuth with a blitz in his face. Kenny hung back there and delivered a strike down the middle. That absolutely sealed his legitimacy for me.

Pickett has incredible accuracy, probably the best accuracy I have ever seen a Steelers Quarterback have. Every single one of his throws are on the money or at least in an area where his receivers can make a play. The Claypool INT wasn't a great throw, but he still got it to where he could make a play. Claypool has to do a better job using his big frame to come up with the catch, but I have faith that can change the more he plays with Pickett.

Tomlin won't admit it but Pickett won the starting job and never relinquished it today.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

I saw a team that came alive once Kenny Pickett took the field.

Trubisky? A bore and a snore. Pickett told him to get off his lawn!

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

He threw 3 INTs but they were dong INTs

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The Claypool INT wasn't a great throw, but he still got it to where he could make a play. Claypool has to do a better job using his big frame to come up with the catch, but I have faith that can change the more he plays with Pickett.
    Claypool got his lunch money taken by a runt DB again. Wasn't the best throw by any stretch, but he should have come up with it against a guy who's EIGHT INCHES shorter than he is or at the very least knock it away.

Claypool = soft.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Claypool got his lunch money taken by a runt DB again. Wasn't the best throw by any stretch, but he should have come up with it against a guy who's EIGHT INCHES shorter than he is or at the very least knock it away.

Claypool = soft.
    Claypool makes a lot of circus catches, but he turns a lot of catches into a circus.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

There isn't much to go on. He was very excited to play.
    Hater = Realist

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

He looked ready and not scared. He cam run if needed and sometimes you need that to save drives. Trubisky played like a scared QB where Pickett did not.

Not worried about the picks. Claypool keeps losing one on one matchups he should win

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Poise. Quick decisions. Mobility. Leadership. Raw. WRs still dropping the ball.

I like what I saw…clearly has so much to learn but he appears to have the mindset to be an NFL QB at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

The word I would use is “fluid”. Everything seemed fluid and natural for Pickens. Quick decisions , nothing telegraphed or hesitant.

He had 3 INTs. All we’re not really his fault. Maybe the friermuth one he shoulda tossed out of bounds .

But the throw on the left sideline to Pickens. And the confidence to let it rip down field! I hate watching our QBs throw behind the first down marker on 3rd.

Even the run game seemed to move better with him there.

I think we win this game if Pickett is in there for the full game.

Sidenote… his hail Mary throw I think was an impressive toss…60 yards in the are just about?

something I was questioning about him is can he hit a WR over the top of needed.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I'll be real but it will get me called a hater once again ... so be it not going to change calling it like I see it to appease anyone ...

1) he was excited and it seemed to motivate the team

2) the play calling changed somewhere , hell we wasnt going for 4th and 1 on our side of the 50 all of the sudden they did so on the wrong side of the 50 and beyond what was that like the 30ish ?? ( that changes drive outcomes would have been a 3 and out instead 1st down via 4th down conversion)

3) his deep ball plain out sucks , he throws it as high (damn near) as he does deep we used to call those lollipop throws , rainbow balls etc ... arm strength is clearly lacking and at 24+ its not getting any better

4) the ball that was picked thrown to Claypool was a pretty bad throw , that said Claypools effort to bail him out was just as bad it was a different kind of 50/50 ball ( 50% bad throw 50% bad effort and that equates to a turnover 9/10 )

5) the ball thrown to Mooooooth on the sidelines that was picked folks keep saying it hit him in the hands so not KP fault ... PLEASE that was a Horrible throw and the only reason it hit Mooooth in the hands was a full extension at the top of his catch radius and then it was 3 inches to high to catch as it hit the top two joints of the fingers not the hands and there is basically no chance to catch that even with an outstanding effort by Mooooth ...... that said almost anyone else over there that ball sails OOB without harm ... still a horrible throw and decision

6) no balls hit the ground so apparently a very catchable ball .... 10-13 and the 3 not caught by steelers were caught by Jets ......

7) decision making needs to get better fast , ball placement needs improvement wont be able to fix arm strength ( knew this going in prior to draft ) wish there was more velocity shown on some of the throws as that could pose a problem once teams hone in on who he is routes will likely start to get jumped and the results can be a mixed bag of pick 6's and wide open WR when the DB timing is off , time will tell if it hurts as much as it helps

8) Mobility , ability to roll out are clear and defined , seemed more comfortable doing so than expected early on ...

since he is number 8 thats enough for now .... we shall see how it goes from here but 3 picks cant happen regardless and people around here can't wait to stand in line to defend him and they cant see how biased they are in doing so ...
    Last edited by Dwinsgames; 10-03-2022 at 07:59 AM.
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Pickett looked yesterday like the same QB I saw in his limited pre-season action......quick and decisive with his reads and throws, accurate, mobile, and can deliver the ball with oncoming pressure as well. He gives me a lot more confidence at the QB position than Trubisky.

The 3 INTs could all have just as easily been incompletions. The hail mary at the end of the game can be thrown out, but the other two were tipped balls that went off the intended receivers. The 2nd one I think should have likely been thrown higher and out of bounds under the circumstances in the game, but it was not a god awful throw or a complete head scratching decision.

Even the hail mary showed me that he does have some arm strength. He threw that ball 60 yards in the air.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/s...-kenny-pickett

Depending on the mood I am when I watch that replay....I feel differently about it.

Honestly, I can agree with many of the positive things said here but I also share the concerns that DWins raises. When you got to chuck it up as high as you can to make it go far....there are gonna be concerns on your arm strength until proven otherwise. I think he underthrew Pickens and put it behind him...but that could be the pessimist in me and I came into the draft period not a fan of KP.

But...he looked for one half far better than MT. Damning with faint praise, I know. But this is where this team needs to be and as long as he gets the majority of the starts moving forward, it is a successful season for me.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/s...-kenny-pickett

Depending on the mood I am when I watch that replay....I feel differently about it.

Honestly, I can agree with many of the positive things said here but I also share the concerns that DWins raises. When you got to chuck it up as high as you can to make it go far....there are gonna be concerns on your arm strength until proven otherwise. I think he underthrew Pickens and put it behind him...but that could be the pessimist in me and I came into the draft period not a fan of KP.

But...he looked for one half far better than MT. Damning with faint praise, I know. But this is where this team needs to be and as long as he gets the majority of the starts moving forward, it is a successful season for me.
    Yeah, when I watch it again I do see the very high arc throw on the hail mary which helps with the ball covering that much distance, and does not not necessarily indicate a "Strong" NFL arm...........but also almost all hail mary passes I have seen have a lot of air underneath them which I assume is to allow the receivers a longer period of time to locate it and get in position. I don't ever see hail mary passes that are lasers on a rope. In hindsight it is not indicative of a strong NFL arm, but putting air under that particular pass is also not proof that he does not have a strong enough arm.

Someone else said it above, but that laser throw to Muth across the middle when Quinnen Williams was getting ready to nail Pickett (and did subsequently nail him) was the most impressive pass of the day IMO.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I wasn’t able to pay full attention to today’s game.

Interested in what you all saw with Pickett’s play.

The best thing I saw was he looked fearless. It led to turnovers that certainly significantly contributed to the loss but if he’s gonna live up to his billing being fearless seems to be a good starting place.
    I saw confidence, which was huge. Yes the 2nd INT was a poor throw decision but like I've said before all of his picks weren't "BAD" picks. The first pick hit the Claypool in the hands and probably gets caught by Pickens, AB or Juju if they fight for it. The last pick was a Hail Mary pass so that's a garbage pick that also happened to Rodgers yesterday at half time.

I'm really interested to see what Pickett can do with a full week of practice with the 1st team. If Tomlin starts playing the yo-yo game with him and Trustinky it will only make it worse. Basically staring at Buffalo, Tampa, Miami and Philly (3 of them on the road) it will definitely be a great gauge to see where the kid is.

Just remember Aikman finished 0-11 with 9 TD/18 picks. Peyton Manning was 3-13 26 TDs/28 picks.
    Last edited by EzraTank; 10-03-2022 at 11:31 AM.

He looked like someone who has the tools and the knowledge to play in the NFL. The questions I have now are (1) can he continue to integrate the two at this level and then adapt once defenses figure out his rhythm and style of play, and (2) can he learn from his mistakes in this game (clarification: mistakes I expect any rookie to make).

What really impressed me, however, was his postgame interview. He showed a lot of confidence and poise, hinted at a decent to good football IQ, and most importantly, took responsibility for what went wrong without being defensive or explaining away his mistakes. Combined with what he showed on the field, I am excited to see him play with a full week's worth of reps and prep.

If Tomlin doesn't play him this coming week, there's no defending the decision. As I mentioned in the Goats thread, I was all for keeping him out until we fixed the bigger issues: bad o'line and no run game. The first half on Sunday looked like those were fixed, or at least, fixed to the point where a rookie QB can come in and learn the game rather than learn how to survive. So, at this point, especially since the switch was already made at halftime of the last game, Pickett starting is the only smart move.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The only thing that concerned me was arm strength on those picks. Those passes lacked the needed velocity.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Claypool = soft.
    This. I do not expect a second contract for him, especially given the way the Steelers draft WR's. At 6'4" he plays really small. Had that been Pickens on the throw I have a feeling Pickens comes down with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    This. I do not expect a second contract for him, especially given the way the Steelers draft WR's. At 6'4" he plays really small. Had that been Pickens on the throw I have a feeling Pickens comes down with the ball.
    Yep, my immediate thought was "Pickett's first rookie mistake - trusting that Claypool will win a combat catch" - That 6'4 body and big frame is misleading, this guy should be the bully but gets bullied more often than not, and often by smaller players.

Part of the growing process though is knowing what you have with your players. 50/50 balls - Pickens yes, Claypool no.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

So re-writing what most people said here. He is accurate for sure. For instance, on the Muth interception, if Muth missed it completely it would have gone out of bounds, but it was placed in a spot where only Muth could get it, just very bad luck with Muth tipping it up for grabs. On the Hail Mary, he threw it towards the back of the EZ, so 60 yards in the air and dropped it at the back of the EZ, we just didn’t have anyone back there (they were all at the front of the EZ. He did throw behind Claypool (on the INT) but that was also catchable AND his first throw after zero reps.

Main thing, he moved the ball, whether through the air or with his legs. Being able to connect on those 10 passes already helped in the run game. Teams will need to respect our passing game. After a full week of runnings with the 1’s, the WRs will have a better feel for his passes and be more productive overall.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The only thing that concerned me was arm strength on those picks. Those passes lacked the needed velocity.
    That has been and will continue to be the big question with Pickett. I think prior to his final season he turned the ball over at a decent clip. But I haven't looked the numbers up since earlier this year and don't remember.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I'll be real but it will get me called a hater once again ... so be it not going to change calling it like I see it to appease anyone ...

1) he was excited and it seemed to motivate the team

2) the play calling changed somewhere , hell we wasnt going for 4th and 1 on our side of the 50 all of the sudden they did so on the wrong side of the 50 and beyond what was that like the 30ish ?? ( that changes drive outcomes would have been a 3 and out instead 1st down via 4th down conversion)

3) his deep ball plain out sucks , he throws it as high (damn near) as he does deep we used to call those lollipop throws , rainbow balls etc ... arm strength is clearly lacking and at 24+ its not getting any better

4) the ball that was picked thrown to Claypool was a pretty bad throw , that said Claypools effort to bail him out was just as bad it was a different kind of 50/50 ball ( 50% bad throw 50% bad effort and that equates to a turnover 9/10 )

5) the ball thrown to Mooooooth on the sidelines that was picked folks keep saying it hit him in the hands so not KP fault ... PLEASE that was a Horrible throw and the only reason it hit Mooooth in the hands was a full extension at the top of his catch radius and then it was 3 inches to high to catch as it hit the top two joints of the fingers not the hands and there is basically no chance to catch that even with an outstanding effort by Mooooth ...... that said almost anyone else over there that ball sails OOB without harm ... still a horrible throw and decision

6) no balls hit the ground so apparently a very catchable ball .... 10-13 and the 3 not caught by steelers were caught by Jets ......

7) decision making needs to get better fast , ball placement needs improvement wont be able to fix arm strength ( knew this going in prior to draft ) wish there was more velocity shown on some of the throws as that could pose a problem once teams hone in on who he is routes will likely start to get jumped and the results can be a mixed bag of pick 6's and wide open WR when the DB timing is off , time will tell if it hurts as much as it helps

8) Mobility , ability to roll out are clear and defined , seemed more comfortable doing so than expected early on ...

since he is number 8 thats enough for now .... we shall see how it goes from here but 3 picks cant happen regardless and people around here can't wait to stand in line to defend him and they cant see how biased they are in doing so ...
    5) Apparently, he was throwing it OOB which was the right decision in that situation. Freiermuth went up and tried to catch it. Pickett didn’t throw it high enough.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

What I saw was a QB who look poised and not afraid to make mistakes and take chances. He has a little moxie in him and we need that right now.

I thought after watching his 1st possession that it was evident he could diagnose what was happening quicker than Mitch. He was quick to get it out and decisive. I only fault him for the int to Freiermuth. The one to Claypool wasn't a pretty ball but he gave him a chance and Claypool didn't make the play. It's one of those you just gotta live with. At times it didn't look like KP had the strongest arm, but he did chuck it 60 yards in the air, which is fairly decent .

Overall I was impressed with KP's performance. I'm looking forward to seeing KP develop chemistry with GP and Freiermuth. Could be fun to watch for the next 4 or 5 years.

Interesting if we all mean the same thing when we talk arm strength.

Seems there’s distance but also velocity.

For me, it’s been clear from draft scouting that Pickett can chuck it a fair piece. Seems to be holding up.

But I do worry about the oomph he doesn’t seem to have. It takes some of his passes a long time to fall from the sky. Some seem to flutter as well.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I did not get the game on my feed so ended up watching the Bills and Ravens instead. I did go back and watch the game highlights though. From what I saw both teams looked very similar, very young, and both have lots of up and coming talent. The good is KP should look like a young, up and coming talent. The bad is MT should not.

I think Kenny has the tools and game experience to be given the starter job at this point. He will struggle, and probably a lot. But I saw promise and I do think he will improve as the season goes on. I just hope he can stay healthy. Next game vs the Bills, Kenny should RUN.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Interesting if we all mean the same thing when we talk arm strength.

Seems there’s distance but also velocity.

For me, it’s been clear from draft scouting that Pickett can chuck it a fair piece. Seems to be holding up.

But I do worry about the oomph he doesn’t seem to have. It takes some of his passes a long time to fall from the sky. Some seem to flutter as well.
    Kind of like Chad Pennington (pre shoulder injury) or Mac Jones. It can work but it has to stay in a framework.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Kind of like Chad Pennington (pre shoulder injury) or Mac Jones. It can work but it has to stay in a framework.
    That seems totally reasonable. The other extreme is Baker Mayfield who has like no understanding of his own limitations.