Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Goats thread vs. Jets.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Re: Goats thread vs. Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    but I'm the troll .....
    Yes you are.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Again, I’ll grant the starting proposition that Claypool is invisible.

When’s the last time an NFL team traded a 3rd or 4th round pick for an invisible player?

I’m not taking some Claypool is a baller position here either.

NFL teams don’t trade draft picks for bad WRa.

So either Claypool is a bad WR or he’s a misused serious contributor in waiting and then (maybe) worth a decent draft pick.

He can’t be both.
    I don't think the Steelers will actually trade him though, even though I think he has been a disapointment. He is cheap right now, and I am sure they feel he has untapped potential. I do hope he can start to contribute with Pickett at QB, but I still see him being 4th in the receiver pecking order now behind DJ, Pickens, and Muth.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If Tomlin starts the QB "yo-yo" -- I'm out on defending him.

This team has made everyone of the QB transition sins EXCEPT that one. This is, at some point, gotta get Tomlin some heat in the media and outside of hardcore Steelers fans. There is a great deal of stubborn and stupid seemingly on display here.

Unless, he's doing coach-speak nonsense and he just wants to control the messaging...then fine. I can get that.
    Look at the highlight of the game. The last throw by MT right before half he gets a helmet to the torso which draws the flag. After the penalty is assessed Boz kicks the FG. KP starts the 2nd half. I wonder if MT got hurt on that late hit and that's the real reason Tomlin went to KP?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    It hit Muth in the hands only because Muth climbed up to the top wrung of the ladder, looked like around 36 inches, and then had to extend to touch the ball. So no, it didn't really hit him in the hands as much as Muth made a great effort to get his hands on the ball, but it wasn't thrown good enough for him to actually catch it.

I'm not dogging KP for that. It was his first game, and I liked the effort. I just don't think Muth had any responsibility in that INT except, perhaps, that he should have pulled his hands down and let the ball sail out of bounds.
    KP said he was trying to throw that ball away. It wasn't intended for PF to go up and try to catch but that's what receivers do, so what happened just happened. Not really KP's fault, not really PF's fault. Just one of those plays.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Look at the highlight of the game. The last throw by MT right before half he gets a helmet to the torso which draws the flag. After the penalty is assessed Boz kicks the FG. KP starts the 2nd half. I wonder if MT got hurt on that late hit and that's the real reason Tomlin went to KP?

- - - Updated - - -

KP said he was trying to throw that ball away. It wasn't intended for PF to go up and try to catch but that's what receivers do, so what happened just happened. Not really KP's fault, not really PF's fault. Just one of those plays.
    Very possible on that hit. But why lie? Just say he’s hurt and then you’re free to do whatever with the QB. This path means you gotta “name” a starter at some point and all that.

If he wanted to throw it away, he’s gotta just fling it 12 rows into the stands and not high and outside across the field. He will learn. They all do or they end up like Baker.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I’m not on Twitter but you can find decent replays of the Claypool INT there. Saw them behind a paywall on another site.

Anyways…that was a really bad ball by Pickett. If he gets it to the pylon side of the field, Claypool might walk in. Instead he hangs it inside and forces Claypool back into the safety and a weird turning against his momentum contested catch.

Honestly on the replay I saw, Claypool was doing pretty well to make the play close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    KP did some good things. I liked how he got the ball out quick and he seemed to have timing with his WRs, especially GP. KP has better instincts as a thrower than MT and it only took 1 half to see that.

The negatives...KP shouldn't have thrown that ball and it cost us the game. It was a rookie deer in the headlights moment. He was back pedaling as he threw a prayer to the sideline that was actually catchable, but not a good decision. I can live with it though because I expect he will learn from that. The only thing that worries me about KP is he doesn't appear to have a strong arm.
    The INT Pickett threw was at the NYJ 35. Then the Jets went 65 yards for a TD. Defense had to keep them to a FG to tie and send it to OT. Even if Pickett doesn't turn it over and gets a FG if the defense allows a TD drive it's game over.

Pickett played OK given the circumstances. The point is he is out there learning from his mistakes now. It's obvious he is quick to throw, accurate and smart. He just needs experience. He's going to make a lot of mistakes this year.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    The INT Pickett threw was at the NYJ 35. Then the Jets went 65 yards for a TD. Defense had to keep them to a FG to tie and send it to OT. Even if Pickett doesn't turn it over and gets a FG if the defense allows a TD drive it's game over.

Pickett played OK given the circumstances. The point is he is out there learning from his mistakes now. It's obvious he is quick to throw, accurate and smart. He just needs experience. He's going to make a lot of mistakes this year.
    Considering he was thrown into the game without any practice reps, and still outperformed Mitch, I'd say he did well. The offense actually moved when he was in the game.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I’m not on Twitter but you can find decent replays of the Claypool INT there. Saw them behind a paywall on another site.

Anyways…that was a really bad ball by Pickett. If he gets it to the pylon side of the field, Claypool might walk in. Instead he hangs it inside and forces Claypool back into the safety and a weird turning against his momentum contested catch.

Honestly on the replay I saw, Claypool was doing pretty well to make the play close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Close plays like that disappear with chemistry and reps. I chalk it up to a combination of Claypool not playing much with Pickett and simply put, getting barely any deep shots this season at all.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    To be fair, Andy Reid is probably the best offensive coach there is

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Juju sucks.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I don’t think anyone would debate that fact. One team has an offensive guy at the helm, one team had a couple wannabe OCs…that may not be fit for a college or good high school offense…and that’s not an exaggeration…

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Fichtner/Canada/Drunk Haley in his last year. Not exactly a lineup of offensive geniuses for Juju to learn from

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Fichtner/Canada/Drunk Haley in his last year. Not exactly a lineup of offensive geniuses for Juju to learn from

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
    Yes you are.

if you had brains you would be dangerous

I just don't drink the koolaid ...........
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Close plays like that disappear with chemistry and reps. I chalk it up to a combination of Claypool not playing much with Pickett and simply put, getting barely any deep shots this season at all.
    Totally reasonable.

I'm really not trying to trash KP or Claypool here. Just wanted to provide a counterweight to the narrative that Claypool is absolute trash. I do think he leaves his feet too much but he has also spent a few years now trying to haul in YOLO prayers from a variety of QBs.

I am excited to see him (and all the WRs) with Pickett. I really wish we could see Claypool with a a true deep ball passer. I have visions of that Vikings game just being a weekly thing....but that is another thread...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I don’t think anyone would debate that fact. One team has an offensive guy at the helm, one team had a couple wannabe OCs…that may not be fit for a college or good high school offense…and that’s not an exaggeration…
    It's still a douche comment. Like Sanders and his remark about Ben and film study. Juju was a one-hit wonder and should be happy he has the most talented QB ever throwing him the ball.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

pickens got more targets than DJ. if that becomes a trend , how long will it take for DJ's meltdown ?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I don't think he was saying that. He answered the question about throwing it away like this: "Yeah, I was—I wanted it higher than that. Definitely either Pat was going to get it or it was going to be out of bounds. I didn't put it high enough. I cannot throw and interception there at that point in the game."

I read that is him not saying "I was trying to throw it away" but stopping his sentence and rewording "was" to "wanted" so that the sentence should read, "I wanted it higher than that." That also leads me to believe he doesn't know the specifics of what happened (and I wouldn't expect him to know until he watches the tape). And, since he's not sure what happened, he's taking responsibility for the throw regardless of the specifics. I like that a lot, to be honest.

After watching the play several times after the game (NFL+), I think the part I highlighted is what really happened. He was trying to throw the ball to a point where either PF gets it or no one gets it. It shows good game-speed decision making. The execution was just a little off. The ball needed to be about an inch to an inch and a half lower or a foot higher.

In truth, that's one of those plays that, although the outcome was bad and KP deserves at least some responsibility for the pick, in hindsight, I walk away more encouraged than anything else because of the good game-speed decision making and the fact he missed his target by only an inch and a half in what was his first thirty minutes of his first regular season NFL game.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I don't think he was saying that. He answered the question about throwing it away like this: "Yeah, I was—I wanted it higher than that. Definitely either Pat was going to get it or it was going to be out of bounds. I didn't put it high enough. I cannot throw and interception there at that point in the game."

I read that is him not saying "I was trying to throw it away" but stopping his sentence and rewording "was" to "wanted" so that the sentence should read, "I wanted it higher than that." That also leads me to believe he doesn't know the specifics of what happened (and I wouldn't expect him to know until he watches the tape). And, since he's not sure what happened, he's taking responsibility for the throw regardless of the specifics. I like that a lot, to be honest.

After watching the play several times after the game (NFL+), I think the part I highlighted is what really happened. He was trying to throw the ball to a point where either PF gets it or no one gets it. It shows good game-speed decision making. The execution was just a little off. The ball needed to be about an inch to an inch and a half lower or a foot higher.

In truth, that's one of those plays that, although the outcome was bad and KP deserves at least some responsibility for the pick, in hindsight, I walk away more encouraged than anything else because of the good game-speed decision making and the fact he missed his target by only an inch and a half in what was his first thirty minutes of his first regular season NFL game.
    This is what I saw also, either PF can get it, or nobody can get it placement. Only it was tipped and INT’d, so worst luck there.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    pickens got more targets than DJ. if that becomes a trend , how long will it take for DJ's meltdown ?
    That’s just a natural thing with a back up
    QB. They always tend to throw to the third and fourth guys because that’s who they are most familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That’s just a natural thing with a back up
    QB. They always tend to throw to the third and fourth guys because that’s who they are most familiar with.
    Pickens was already a 1st team guy in training camp though. The buzz in training camp was Trubisky had 'chemistry' with Pickens and they constantly connected for big plays, though that seemed to disappear once the lights came on.

I just think Pickens is winning his battles. Then again as the rookie, the defenses are playing DJ with their #1 corner / double coverage. That will probably change over the course of the season.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Was the INT to Muth a little off? Maybe
    Could Pickett have settled for a FG attempt? Maybe
    Do I prefer a guy who plays to win? Absolutely!!!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Minkah should have been awarded that INT… because it was.

Also, Minkah was inches (literally) from knocking that ball out in the field of play and ending/winning the game. The guy is a stud.

Edmunds has allowed Minkah to do Minkah things. It’s why Minkah wanted/wants him signed long-term. Edmunds is the new Ryan Clark. Don’t believe me… look at the secondary after Edmunds went out.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Minkah should have been awarded that INT… because it was.

Also, Minkah was inches (literally) from knocking that ball out in the field of play and ending/winning the game. The guy is a stud.

Edmunds has allowed Minkah to do Minkah things. It’s why Minkah wanted/wants him signed long-term. Edmunds is the new Ryan Clark. Don’t believe me… look at the secondary after Edmunds went out.
    Yup. Edmunds isn’t ever gonna be the guy who makes the plays to live up to his draft status.

But if he’s the guy who allows MF to be Superman, then that’s fine.