Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Offense Looks Like a Rookie Offense...So WTF?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Offense Looks Like a Rookie Offense...So WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Cutting the field in half might make it easier on a QB like Trubisky but it also makes it easier for the defense to pass protect. It just keeps sounding like were bending over backwards trying make the game easier for a 4th year guy who's having trouble adapting to the pros. If Tomlin starts MT again this coming week, i'm going to chalk it up to unreasonable stubbornness. It just doesn't make any sense to keep KP on the sidelines at this point.
    Agreed. If KP comes and he’s awful…what’s changed?

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Then we at least know we have to look for a QB in the draft again (or trade?) and a new OC. And we'll likely be picking near or in the top 10.

But I'm willing to bet he's going to be better than MT.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The most likely scenario for Pickett to play in the near future is a Trubisky injury.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers know going into 2023 they have to look for a quarterback. Instead of going into 2023 with a proven bum and an unproven player.

Though I really seriously doubt Pickett will be awful if he gets his shot. We have seen the absolute worst of the worst at the position this season.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Rookie QB gets experience.

Are you saying cut KP? KP would suck next season week 1 if he sucks now. Your plan would be to start Trubisky forever I guess? Don't play him if he's going to suck right? The thing is that rookie QBs usually suck even the great ones. Ben had rating of 75 and 80 early in his career. Learning curve.

Anyways, the only way KP sits all year is if Rooney decrees it because he doesn't want KP playing in this trash Canada offense then learning a brand new scheme next season. I think Pickett will start Nov. 13th after the bye. I think we have another couple months of 17 points per game. So relax and enjoy your guy Trubisky.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Cutting the field in half might make it easier on a QB like Trubisky but it also makes it easier for the defense to pass protect. It just keeps sounding like were bending over backwards trying make the game easier for a 4th year guy who's having trouble adapting to the pros. If Tomlin starts MT again this coming week, i'm going to chalk it up to unreasonable stubbornness. It just doesn't make any sense to keep KP on the sidelines at this point.
    Cutting the field in half is actually a 'cheat' for the QB. He gets a short to mid-range target and a deeper target, if neither are open he either runs it or throws the ball away,. Lamar Jackson won an MVP running this type offense.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Cutting the field in half is actually a 'cheat' for the QB. He gets a short to mid-range target and a deeper target, if neither are open he either runs it or throws the ball away,. Lamar Jackson won an MVP running this type offense.
    The difference is Lamar can burn you with his legs, but Mitch will probably end up doing something stupid like getting sacked for a 2 yard loss outside of the pocket instead of throwing it away
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    The difference is Lamar can burn you with his legs, but Mitch will probably end up doing something stupid like getting sacked for a 2 yard loss outside of the pocket instead of throwing it away
    There is that.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    In the second half, we just got our ass totally kicked. We couldn’t do diddly poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass – we sucked. The second half, we sucked. We couldn’t stop the run. Every time they got the ball, they went down and got points. We got our ass totally kicked in the second half – that’s what it boiled down to. It was a horseshit performance in the second half. Horseshit. I’m totally embarrassed and totally ashamed. Coaching did a horrible job. The players did a horrible job. We got our ass kicked in that second half. It sucked. It stunk.

- - - Updated - - -

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Then we at least know we have to look for a QB in the draft again (or trade?) and a new OC. And we'll likely be picking near or in the top 10.

After 14 games?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    After 14 games?
    We knew after 8 starts or less in 2019 that Mason Rudolph's potential was very limited

We can make a good assessment of a QB after 14 games,good or bad

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    We knew after 8 starts or less in 2019 that Mason Rudolph's potential was very limited

Not with Matt Canada and that O-Line. Rudolph also wasn’t a first round pick with a high ceiling…he had a low floor, low ceiling and that was known going in.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    Rookie QB gets experience.

Are you saying cut KP? KP would suck next season week 1 if he sucks now. Your plan would be to start Trubisky forever I guess? Don't play him if he's going to suck right? The thing is that rookie QBs usually suck even the great ones. Ben had rating of 75 and 80 early in his career. Learning curve.

Anyways, the only way KP sits all year is if Rooney decrees it because he doesn't want KP playing in this trash Canada offense then learning a brand new scheme next season. I think Pickett will start Nov. 13th after the bye. I think we have another couple months of 17 points per game. So relax and enjoy your guy Trubisky.
    Sounds like you misunderstood that ...

Not with Matt Canada and that O-Line. Rudolph also wasn’t a first round pick with a high ceiling…he had a low floor, low ceiling and that was known going in.
    This time though, you totally can judge the effectiveness of the QB. Last season with the shitty Canada offense and a shitty offensive line, this was a playoff team and we passed for about 250 yards per gane, and that was with an ok quarterback. That's the standard.

With Trubisky running the same offense behind the same shitty line, this is a last-place team with sub-200 passing yards per game.

Sorry Mitch, you're just a fuckin bum. The standard is the standard.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

exactly, couldn’t have said it better. They should be able to see if he’s got it this season. Ben became the man after that first year, even though Maddox was still around

This is a start.....

Gotta start somewhere…

Gotta start somewhere…
    1.Canada OUT
    2.Bench Trubisky
    3.Improve big time the coaching staff of the offensive side of the ball in the offseason

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

OJ says to bench Mitch, and his comment cuts like a knife

1.Canada OUT
    2.Bench Trubisky
    3.Improve big time the coaching staff of the offensive side of the ball in the offseason
    I agree. I also make a HUGE attempt to bring back Munchak as one of those coaching staff improvements.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

1.Canada OUT
    2.Bench Trubisky
    I’ve been a vocal and stubborn Tomlin defender for years.

But he’s starting to lose me. I don’t care that the team is losing games. Honestly, that doesn’t bother me. I’ve watched this team lose before.

It’s just that the approach to the rebuild, reload, retool, whatever you want to call it is seemingly so wrong.

Oh. Well. On to the Jets!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Najee says it's our fault that the team is divided and incompetent.

I’ve been a vocal and stubborn Tomlin defender for years.

But he’s starting to lose me. I don’t care that the team is losing games. Honestly, that doesn’t bother me. I’ve watched this team lose before.

It’s just that the approach to the rebuild, reload, retool, whatever you want to call it is seemingly so wrong.

Oh. Well. On to the Jets!
    The other problem with Tomlin and also the steelers is that they are way too slow to adapt in the NFL, whether in offense and even in defense when they are still stubborn to put our best pass rusher in coverage as in the last game(It was HighSmith against the Browns)...Reason like that why after so many years they are still unable to defend the empty backfield from the opposing team, whether this is against Patrick Mahomes or Jacoby Brissett!

They are too much behind the curve!

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

The other problem with Tomlin and also the steelers is that they are way too slow to adapt in the NFL, whether in offense and even in defense when they are still stubborn to put our best pass rusher in coverage as in the last game(It was HighSmith against the Browns)...Reason like that why after so many years they are still unable to defend the empty backfield from the opposing team, whether this is against Patrick Mahomes or Jacoby Brissett!

Tomlin is a about 6 years behind the curve.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The other team gets paid as well.

If you want to live in base defense like the Steelers do, then your gonna get LBers in coverage.

They’d didn’t want to try and stop Chubb from nickel and dime. So they stayed in base and the Browns motioned Chubb out and went empty.

Steelers used to torture teams with this in Bell’s heyday.

The other team gets paid as well.

If you want to live in base defense like the Steelers do, then your gonna get LBers in coverage.

They’d didn’t want to try and stop Chubb from nickel and dime. So they stayed in base and the Browns motioned Chubb out and went empty.

Steelers used to torture teams with this in Bell’s heyday.
    You are right on that but I saw a tweet that HighSmith was on coverage on 35% of the time in the last game.This is way too much for me with Watt out.You can put other LB in coverage but not our best edge rusher for this game!..At least not at 35% of the time!

This is part of what confuses me. At least WHO will know? YOU don't need to know. The people who do need to know, know. Just because we as fans don't have every detail doesn't mean all the nasty things some are posting on here about our coaches and FO and such.

You are right on that but I saw a tweet that HighSmith was on coverage on 35% of the time in the last game.This is way too much for me with Watt out.You can put other LB in coverage but not our best edge rusher for this game!..At least not at 35% of the time!
    With Watt out, the team has gone back to blitzing (or at least rushing more than 4). So they are trying to generate pressure with guys coming from unexpected places. That means you have to start dropping other players into coverage. If they are going to drop a LB into coverage that isn't Jack....Highsmith is a better option than all of the others.

There are serious trade-offs and compromises that you have to make on a defense when you are missing a player the caliber of Watt. Watt single-handedly allows your defense to do advantageous things and avoid situations where you are in serious disadvantage because of how phenomenally talented he is. Kinda like how Brandon Staley's defense doesn't seem as clever and effective when it is not anchored by Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey.

Wouldn't it be funny if he broke the sack record but most of his sacks were dong sacks

of course a new criteria would have to be made: "he only had that sack because they double / triple teamed TJ Watt instead!"

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    This is part of what confuses me. At least WHO will know? YOU don't need to know. The people who do need to know, know. Just because we as fans don't have every detail doesn't mean all the nasty things some are posting on here about our coaches and FO and such.
    For me, I mean coaches and the FO. I do not believe that whatever fractional amount of reps that the back-up QB gets in practice each week are enough to evaluate a rookie QB on.

Additionally, any QB that is even within shouting distance of their first round status, is going to have a "bump" in their performance for a few games because defenses have no tendencies and habits to key in on from film study. Then teams get enough film on a guy and they start being able to really plan and disguise stuff. Performance usually takes a dip. Then, coaches want to see how the QB can respond. Can he adapt and overcome? Or has he hit a ceiling in his abilities?

Based on other QBs in recent years and looking at back-ups that play long(er) stretches due to injury, this seems to take 4+ games to really see play out.

Again, this is for me, but I strongly believe that if KP comes in and plays the last 4-5 games....we don't really know all that much. It could be his "ramp up" period and similar to his time at Pitt and in training camp this year -- it takes a bit for it to click for him. He could hit the ground running, but what happens when defenses start "figuring him out"? That might take more than 4 games for there to be enough repeated scenarios and plays to develop "the book" on KP -- although with Canada it might be a half.

I can't speak for anyone else, but that is what I mean by the Steelers "knowing". Right now they have a scouting report and the results of the pre-draft process. And, technically, a QB competition against MT that KP lost.