Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Offense Discussion

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers Offense Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    You know, I remember hearing something at some point as well too but must have forgotten that.

Then Haley was even less of a problem than I had thought.

Will be interesting to hear what he has to say.
    He most certainly won’t hold back...lol. He’s good on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers Offense Discussion

88 breaks wide open and Mitch locks onto him but doesn't throw it and scrambles.

The only way you can blame this shitshow on Canada is if he's somehow telling Mitch not to throw the ball or making him overly cautious. But there is no excuse for this.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Ultimately this is on Tomlin. He chose the staff for the offense. And he has the power to change it.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

All I got is this.

Joe Walton (in)famously had a playbook the size of the NY city phone book. That dude’s offense stunk.

I suspect Shannahan the Younger has only a few plays. But he gets to them in not the exact same way.

Taylor and the Bengals have like 2 running plays and then empty set passes. That’s it. Although it seems the league figured that out. Finally.

So there’s some sort of middle ground where you can run a functional NFL offense with a few basic plays. But maybe you need to not provide keys that give the plan away?

I’m not football good. So this could all be nonsense.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben Roethlisberger Says Steelers’ Mitch Trubisky Was “Playing Within The System”; Doesn’t “Blame” QB1 For Sunday’s Brutal Loss

“I just don’t think it’s fair… I wouldn’t blame Mitch for the performance today [Sunday]. I don’t think he was bad. Did he miss a couple throws? Yes. Every quarterback does. I just saw Aaron Rodgers miss a throw and he’s one of the greatest to ever play. It’s going to happen sometimes… He threw an interception one time, the guy tipped it, whatever. Did he play his best game? No. Did he play his worst game? I don’t think so.”

“I don’t think he deserved the fans getting on him today because sometimes you’re playing within the system. I’m not trying to say it’s Matt Canada either, but sometimes if he’s looking down the field and no one’s there, he’s taking the check down. If you call a wide receiver screen, you’re throwing the wide receiver screen. If it goes for minus two yards, that’s not on the quarterback. It’s not his fault the screen goes for minus two yards. So I thought it was a little early and a little unfair to start booing. I think the boo birds were more for the offense in general… I hate it for Mitchell because I don’t think it’s fair yet.”
    more on this

https://www.steelernation.com/roethl...lers-trubisky/

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I'm moving into the only way to know what the problem truly is, is to make a switch at QB.

1. OL getting good scores so far.
    2. Unquestionable talent at RB, WR, and TE

Only other position is at QB. If the Steelers make a QB change and the offense has the same issues, it is not a QB problem and is therefore a coaching problem. Start with the OC and in-game decisions. Not necessarily change the OC but maybe limit his gameday input.

IF the offense's issues improve, whether a little or a lot, then it is a QB issue. Make the QB change permanent.

No additional cost to the team, no in-season upheaval or starting over.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers Offense Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Ben Roethlisberger Says Steelers’ Mitch Trubisky Was “Playing Within The System”; Doesn’t “Blame” QB1 For Sunday’s Brutal Loss

more on this

https://www.steelernation.com/roethl...lers-trubisky/
    Always goes back to Canada AND Trubisky…it’s not one or the other. One is awful and one is bad playing within a bad system.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I'm moving into the only way to know what the problem truly is, is to make a switch at QB.

Only other position is at QB. If the Steelers make a QB change and the offense has the same issues, it is not a QB problem and is therefore a coaching problem. Start with the OC and in-game decisions. Not necessarily change the OC but maybe limit his gameday input.

IF the offense's issues improve, whether a little or a lot, then it is a QB issue. Make the QB change permanent.

This. Got to find out what you have in your first round QB and your OC. This is the only way to do it. We won’t learn anything with MT continuing to play mediocre to poor ball, while 24 year old KP sits on the bench getting frustrated along with the receivers.

Then which way do you go in next years draft?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    This. Got to find out what you have in your first round QB and your OC. This is the only way to do it. We won’t learn anything with MT continuing to play mediocre to poor ball, while 24 year old KP sits on the bench getting frustrated along with the receivers.

Then which way do you go in next years draft?
    Even if KP was the opening day starter, this team could still very easily be at 1-1 headed into this Thursday's game vs Cleveland. IF players are indeed 'frustrated' with this offense after 2 weeks, they might find their diva asses on the sidelines. No hostages.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Even if KP was the opening day starter, this team could still very easily be at 1-1 headed into this Thursday's game vs Cleveland. IF players are indeed 'frustrated' with this offense after 2 weeks, they might find their diva asses on the sidelines. No hostages.
    Maybe?

It’s also possible that since NFL players exist in the larger world they are aware of the following:

1. Trubisky’s career to date.
    2. The quick success other rookie QBs have had.
    3. The potential gap between play called and play outcomes.

It may not be just the won/loss outcome but the way they got there.

Who knows? Anything’s possible.

Most of this is likely a tempest in a teapot. It just seems big and strange because the Steelers, their fans, and their media pundits haven’t experienced in 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Maybe?

It’s also possible that since NFL players exist in the larger world they are aware of the following:

1. Trubisky’s career to date.
    2. The quick success other rookie QBs have had.
    3. The potential gap between play called and play outcomes.

It may not be just the won/loss outcome but the way they got there.

Who knows? Anything’s possible.

Most of this is likely a tempest in a teapot. It just seems big and strange because the Steelers, their fans, and their media pundits haven’t experienced in 20 years.
    I think the reports are less than substantial at any rate. But...NFL players also understand football teams are not a democracy.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    88 breaks wide open and Mitch locks onto him but doesn't throw it and scrambles.

The only way you can blame this shitshow on Canada is if he's somehow telling Mitch not to throw the ball or making him overly cautious. But there is no excuse for this.
    smh .... by the time mitch see's 88 if you are paying any attention at all .... the 0-Lineman is being driven back into his lap , he is not set to throw so by the time he would setup pull back the arm and let it fly that lineman would be in his lap and the throw would be off of course ...I mean it is easy to let an open receiver downfield jump off the page if you do not take anything else into consideration ....

this is why most here are just fans....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

2.88 Yards per carry that is either on the RB (who has unquestionable talent as you say or the O-Line who you say is getting good scores)

last year same unquestionable talent at RB averaged 3.8 ypc .... same system new line that was supposed to be better so we made changes and get the opposite result that was desired ...

wait still have Canada tho

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

2.88 Yards per carry that is either on the RB (who has unquestionable talent as you say or the O-Line who you say is getting good scores)

last year same unquestionable talent at RB averaged 3.8 ypc .... same system new line that was supposed to be better so we made changes and get the opposite result that was desired ...

wait still have Canada tho
    3.8 is not good either.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    3.8 is not good either.
    its not , but the point is he regressed on what was SUPPOSED to be good changes .........

so either Najee talent is questionable or the line sucks that is "getting good grades"

either way its worse than last year and last years wasnt good and we made changes on that line ....

we could see the same thing making changes with the QB going from what is perceived as bad to worse because someone see's it better on paper because he played well vs burger flippers and cart pushers in perseason games ....

83 yards rushing per game with the limited run snaps of this offense, is not a bad number. I believe this will improve.

The less than 200 yards per game passing is the issue. This stat is why I would make a change at QB and see what the difference is. If there is no difference, then it is not a QB problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    3.8 is not good either.
    Not as bad that the 5.1 yards per pass attempts...Running game is not good but the opposing defense don't need to respect the passing game too,since this is all-time bad so far under Canada

83 yards rushing per game with the limited run snaps of this offense, is not a bad number. I believe this will improve.

The less than 200 yards per game passing is the issue. This stat is why I would make a change at QB and see what the difference is. If there is no difference, then it is not a QB problem.
    56 yards per game via the RB pos ( the rest came from a handful of runs via the WR's ) Najee is tied for 39th place as a rusher thus far in 2022 several teams have more than 1 guy with more rushing yards than Najee(72) on their team ... in Fact Najee is Tied with the Pats backup RB who has just 17 carries on the season ...

but a lack of a running game wouldn't impact your offense any would it ? (loaded with sarcasm)

we have issues in spades and the guy responsible for that unit is Canada ...we can't run , we can't pass and we ignore play calls to any place over 20 yards or in the middle of the field ... hmm seems like an easy offense to defend if you ask me

Not as bad that the 5.1 yards per pass attempts...Running game is not good but the opposing defense don't need to respect the passing game too,since this is all-time bad so far under Canada
    but in 2022 its 2.88 per rushing attemp

People will hate this and I really don't care to debate the utility of the source: https://steelersdepot.com/2022/09/wa...efining-blame/

But this aligns with my thinking over the first few weeks. Canada is not a great OC. Trubisky, right now, is a bad QB. Canada puts MT in less than excellent situations that lead to failure. When there are plays to be made, MT dorks it up a significant amount of the time.

It is a simple and uncomplicated story.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

its not , but the point is he regressed on what was SUPPOSED to be good changes .........

so either Najee talent is questionable or the line sucks that is "getting good grades"

either way its worse than last year and last years wasnt good and we made changes on that line ....

we could see the same thing making changes with the QB going from what is perceived as bad to worse because someone see's it better on paper because he played well vs burger flippers and cart pushers in perseason games ....
    I'll go 60/40 Najee to blame.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess with this offense, it's a debate of who sucks the most, huh?

56 yards per game via the RB pos ( the rest came from a handful of runs via the WR's ) Najee is tied for 39th place as a rusher thus far in 2022 several teams have more than 1 guy with more rushing yards than Najee(72) on their team ... in Fact Najee is Tied with the Pats backup RB who has just 17 carries on the season ...

but a lack of a running game wouldn't impact your offense any would it ? (loaded with sarcasm)

we have issues in spades and the guy responsible for that unit is Canada ...we can't run , we can't pass and we ignore play calls to any place over 20 yards or in the middle of the field ... hmm seems like an easy offense to defend if you ask me
    RB/WR, run game is what I was talking about. AND the expectation is it will improve. If you think it is bad and will stay bad then just say that. I see improvement.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

smh .... by the time mitch see's 88 if you are paying any attention at all .... the 0-Lineman is being driven back into his lap , he is not set to throw so by the time he would setup pull back the arm and let it fly that lineman would be in his lap and the throw would be off of course ...I mean it is easy to let an open receiver downfield jump off the page if you do not take anything else into consideration ....

this is why most here are just fans....
    I don't what play you guys are referring to, but that's what separates the good from great QBs. Mitch may or may not have had the time to make a good throw but regardless, Mitch doesn't anticipate WRs getting open. He throws to open WRs, but rarely throws them open.

I do think KP would be an upgrade in terms of anticipating when a receiver will be open and making quick decisions. Obviously, he's going to make mistakes, but that's how he will progress.

Instead of starting a new thread.....

A new era of Steelers offense begins this week with Kenny Pickett getting his 1st ever start vs the Bills in week 5. It will be fun to watch what happens moving forward. Even if this should fail I am excited to see how the remainder of the season plays out.

We have an OL of Moore-Dotson-Cole-Daniels-Chuks

DJ, Claypool, Pickens, Freiermuth, Harris, and Warren are the main weapons.

Here We GO!!!

As of this gameday morning I am feeling optimistic about the Steelers being able to get this season righted. Tough opponents and some key injuries will make wins tougher for sure, but I honestly think we will start seeing what we all know this team is capable of. The talent level is here. Still young and learning to play together but the talent level is definitely here. This is fun for me.

As of this gameday morning I am feeling optimistic about the Steelers being able to get this season righted. Tough opponents and some key injuries will make wins tougher for sure, but I honestly think we will start seeing what we all know this team is capable of. The talent level is here. Still young and learning to play together but the talent level is definitely here. This is fun for me.
    Adversity will make them stronger in the long run and for the future…

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Can't believe Canada still has a job....