Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Offense Discussion

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers Offense Discussioni

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

For me, the most damning play on Sunday was the one late in the game where MT rolls to his left and then does literally nothing as you can see his brain struggle to compute a decision. He could have thrown the ball to a receiver of some sort. He could have run for positive yards, he could have thrown the ball away, or he could have skirted out of bounds. All seemingly viable choices. He only had ONE negative path at that point in the game with the score and clock situation. And that is the option he chose. He got tackled for negative yards in bounds.

That's not something that we can lay at the playcalling's feet or the offensive line, or the receivers. That, to my mind, is 100% on the QB not making an appropriate decision. For a QB in his 6th NFL season and 5th as a starter -- that is just inexcusable.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The numbers don’t lie.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The numbers don’t lie.

Only one QB was worst that Ben last year(Ben was at 6.1 I think).Right now MT has 1 yard worst per pass attempts!

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    For me, the most damning play on Sunday was the one late in the game where MT rolls to his left and then does literally nothing as you can see his brain struggle to compute a decision. He could have thrown the ball to a receiver of some sort. He could have run for positive yards, he could have thrown the ball away, or he could have skirted out of bounds. All seemingly viable choices. He only had ONE negative path at that point in the game with the score and clock situation. And that is the option he chose. He got tackled for negative yards in bounds.

That's not something that we can lay at the playcalling's feet or the offensive line, or the receivers. That, to my mind, is 100% on the QB not making an appropriate decision. For a QB in his 6th NFL season and 5th as a starter -- that is just inexcusable.
    What I'm seeing is a guy who's not playing with confidence. He's indecisive and doesn't go through progressions. And whenever he throws the ball it looks like he's falling backwards even with a clean pocket.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers Offense Discussioni

"Yeah. There's definitely freedom", within the offense, but you can only run what's available.

"But based on what the defense does, where I want to go with the football, it's not based on what the call is or what the concept or what our guys is running", he said. "I'm not just going wherever I want with the ball. Based on what they give us, there's a best option within each play to tell you were to go with your eyes and where to go with the ball".

What if…

Trubisky is throwing to the “best option” according to play design?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers Offense Discussioni

At the same time, the tape does reveal that there is not exactly a robust assortment of route combinations that feature targeted crossing routes and other concepts that play to the space between the hash marks. The offense continues to be dominated by play outside the numbers, a statement that gets truer the far away from the line of scrimmage you get.

"I felt like I was doing my job out there, getting the playmakers the ball when they need to get to", Trubisky said of his own performance within the offense that was called. "Sometimes it's where I want the ball to go based on matchup, whether it's man or zone, and then based on the call, just doing your job and getting the guy the ball at the right time".

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/09/mi...the-ball-goes/
    Last edited by 86WARD; 09-19-2022 at 12:11 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Great quotes and they certainly seem damning.

BUT...but...their accuracy and identification of the problem appear to rely solely on MT being perceptive and accurate in reading out a defense and assessing the "best" option within a structure of the play.

From what I have seen...I am far from confident that MT's QB brain operates at a high level....but I really have no idea.

Yeah I don’t know. I think all goes back to the fact that not the current QB and the current OC both have to go…

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The numbers don’t lie.

The stat that stands out to me is our longest pass play from scrimmage is 32 yards.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

The only reason he's not dead last is because Dak got hurt.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I know in the ESPN passing stats above the YPA field was circled, but if you look at almost any any field there MT is in the bottom 5 of everything.

I personally would rather go ahead and move to Pickett after this upcoming game, even if there are other problems with the offense. However, even if Trubisky is still in there and Canada remains OC and calls the plays, they both have to make changes going forward. If the plays and system are not working, or not being executed well by Trubisky, then the team can't keep trotting out the same plays with Trubisky checking down almost every pass play. The offense will get the same poor results game after game. I just fear no changes will be made and the team proceeds down this same path week after week hoping that by some miracle things just start to click and improve.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

So there are zero OC’s out there? At this point, give the QB coach the opportunity, how much worse can he be? I would almost ask Ben to come in and call plays, at least he know how to read defenses and can understand tendencies. He knows how to move the ball and understands crossing concepts.

On the flip side, would KP throw to those open WRs?

I fear starting KP with this jackass OC would be detrimental to his career, but maybe he has the ability to overcome the coaching deficit and pull out some game wins.

After seeing some of these tweets, I give Canada 2 more weeks until Tomlin pulls the trigger, hopefully the FO is already scouting for a different temp OC. Unfortunately after Tomlin’s comments, I fear we will be picking in the top five next draft.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

There was already a similar play against Cinci where that happened. There was a designed rollout where Mitch was rolling out to his left and Freiermuth was running free and open to the sideline and Mitch just doesn't throw it. He just doesn't throw it.

The most damning play to me was the first shot they went over the middle after slamming Canada all week for not going there. The very first time they call a route to that area, Trubisky doesn't see the underneath linebacker bracketing Johnson who tips the ball and gets an interception. It spoke volumes why we don't call routes or throw there. Trubisky cannot or just can't see the field. The coaching staff went into this game trying to minimize as many mistakes as possible, trying to hide him and make things as comfortable for him. This play basically told them "Look, we need to start limiting where this guy is throwing before he throws another pick." They limited Trubisky's reads for the rest of the game. One read, then go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    So there are zero OC’s out there? At this point, give the QB coach the opportunity, how much worse can he be? I would almost ask Ben to come in and call plays, at least he know how to read defenses and can understand tendencies. He knows how to move the ball and understands crossing concepts.

On the flip side, would KP throw to those open WRs?

I fear starting KP with this jackass OC would be detrimental to his career, but maybe he has the ability to overcome the coaching deficit and pull out some game wins.

After seeing some of these tweets, I give Canada 2 more weeks until Tomlin pulls the trigger, hopefully the FO is already scouting for a different temp OC. Unfortunately after Tomlin’s comments, I fear we will be picking in the top five next draft.
    It isn't that there aren't any out of work offensive coordinators -- surely there are. But they are likely still out of work for a reason. But leave that one alone for now.

Are there any sitting on couch somewhere that can come in and get familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of the entire offensive roster, install and teach a new playbook, revise and revamp formations, protection schemes, audible calls, and whatever else goes into running an offense each Sunday in less than a week?

According to what I have read and been told, all that is complicated and not easy to do....so I suspect it would look pretty dang bad if someone who was one of the annual coaching cycle losers at both the pro and college level was to come in and try it out.

At the same time....it doesn't look great right now. But I remain strongly pessimistic that there is some knight in shining armor offensive coordinator candidate just waiting for their phone to ring that can ride in and make this better. I think we just have to embrace the suck for the duration and hope the off-season brings positive changes.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Justin Fuente is currently not working as a coach. OC prospect?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Justin Fuente is currently not working as a coach. OC prospect?
    Please no. He was a classic underachiever at Va Tech.

The steelers have no offensive identity....

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Hire Ben as OC. Heck he was doing the job half the time last year anyways.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

Holy crap at the :10 second mark Pickens is WIDE open on the post route with NO ONE (I counted the Pats) behind him, easy 6 points if he leads Pickens to the ball.

At the :57 mark if Trustinky rolls to the right and leads DJ he's got one man to beat to the endzone, at worst he's down within the ten yard line.

If the steelers wait a little too long before making a major change (OC, QB or both) it could become a very toxic atmosphere in this lockerroom for this offense... When we have a rookie who is already very frustrated after only 2 games, we have a major problem!

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Welp. That kinda sorta seems to tilt the scales to MT being more to "blame" here. Not that it is evidence that Canada is some great offensive play-caller, but there was some stuff that worked together in that clip. Using one route to move defenders around to get another guy open.

But I am sure that this guy is just some YouTuber content creator and not a tape eating football knower. So probably means that MT is going to get a Pro Bowl nod this year.

A classic wasted down on this play!

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

Not sure what this was supposed to show is except the OL got beat and MT just threw it away right be fire he was creamed

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post

Holy crap at the :10 second mark Pickens is WIDE open on the post route with NO ONE (I counted the Pats) behind him, easy 6 points if he leads Pickens to the ball.

At the :57 mark if Trustinky rolls to the right and leads DJ he's got one man to beat to the endzone, at worst he's down within the ten yard line.
    Thanks for posting that, even if it is depressing to watch. Trubisky is either not looking down the field, or is too afraid to make those throws deep, and just settles for check downs over and over.

Welp. That kinda sorta seems to tilt the scales to MT being more to "blame" here. Not that it is evidence that Canada is some great offensive play-caller, but there was some stuff that worked together in that clip. Using one route to move defenders around to get another guy open.

But I am sure that this guy is just some YouTuber content creator and not a tape eating football knower. So probably means that MT is going to get a Pro Bowl nod this year.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

Daniels takes off like he is run blocking…lol