1 CB Joey Porter Jr. Penn State
    2 OT Zion Nelson Miami
    3 OG/C Warren Ericson Georgia
    4 ILB Avery Roberts Oregon St.
    5 Traded to Seattle in 2021 - CB Ahkello Whitherspoon
    6 Traded to Denver in 2022 - OLB Malik Reed
    7 TE Davis Allen Clemson
    7 (f/ Den) See above trade RB Mohamed Ibrahim Minnesota

* 2023 Compensation picks will not be sorted until early next year.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: 2023 Mock Drafts

That top five may change order, but it’s those five in some order.

If not the Steelers, I’d gladly take the Bolts winning.

Porter over Ringo? I love Peezy, and would root like crazy for his son. But…

Senior Member Array title="BEERgods225 has a spectacular aura about">

Honestly, I'd be happy with any of the top three Corners in this class. (Ricks, Ringo, or Porter)

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Excellent OP!

Now we do know our draft position we can get into some ‘serious’ mocking.

Immediate needs: CB, SS, DL, ILB, OL, WR

Member Array title="Crossdog will become famous soon enough"> Crossdog's Avatar

Very early version....

1. Devon Witherspoon CB Illinois. The CB FA market is not very appealing to me at all. Re-signing Cam Sutton is an absolute must and should be at the top of their priority list. A good note from PFN - Illinois ran man coverage on 75% of their defense so Witherspoon is very experienced in that regard. Ton of ST tackles too.

2A. Nolan Smith OLB Georgia. If he makes it to 33, they should be sending Calvin Austin to deliver that card. Do they strike gold with another injured Bulldog in rnd 2? Dude is smart and hits hard. Boom done.

2B. Andrew Voorhees IOL USC. Bigger prospect that Pat Meyer likes and played all over the line. IOL prospects this year are few and far between. They need to strike early.

3. Jaelyn Duncan OT Maryland. They have little to no OT depth to push the starters. I was flirting with Anton Harrison OT Oklahoma at 2A but Smith is too good to pass up.

4. Keion White DE Georgia Tech. Very curious to see what he weighs in at the combine or all star games. If he's around 300, then send it. This guy should test very well. He needs some coaching but I have no doubt Dunbar can get it done.

Too early for both 7th rounders. I could see a WR and ILB.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crossdog View Post
    Very early version....

1. Devon Witherspoon CB Illinois. The CB FA market is not very appealing to me at all. Re-signing Cam Sutton is an absolute must and should be at the top of their priority list. A good note from PFN - Illinois ran man coverage on 75% of their defense so Witherspoon is very experienced in that regard. Ton of ST tackles too.

2A. Nolan Smith OLB Georgia. If he makes it to 33, they should be sending Calvin Austin to deliver that card. Do they strike gold with another injured Bulldog in rnd 2? Dude is smart and hits hard. Boom done.

2B. Andrew Voorhees IOL USC. Bigger prospect that Pat Meyer likes and played all over the line. IOL prospects this year are few and far between. They need to strike early.

3. Jaelyn Duncan OT Maryland. They have little to no OT depth to push the starters. I was flirting with Anton Harrison OT Oklahoma at 2A but Smith is too good to pass up.

4. Keion White DE Georgia Tech. Very curious to see what he weighs in at the combine or all star games. If he's around 300, then send it. This guy should test very well. He needs some coaching but I have no doubt Dunbar can get it done.

Too early for both 7th rounders. I could see a WR and ILB.
    Most excellent.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

My best mock draft I did on PFF's Mock Draft Simulator

I would absolutely love this draft results! Let me know what you think!!

17. WR Jordan Addison USC (former PITT)

Reconnect with Kenny Pickett. Insurance for life after Dionte Johnson

32: CB Joey Porter JR Penn State

Steal if he fell to 32! Peezy JR as Steeler makes too much sense!

49: Tackle Darnell Wright Tennessee
    6'6 335LB Quick feet. Played both Left and Right Tackle. He allowed a solid 5 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and no sacks his senior year.

80: Tackle Dawand Jones Ohio State

Mammoth Tackle who played both Left and Right. Moved over to right tackle with Paris Johnson on the team.

If we draft both Wright and Jones , we perhaps bookend our offensive line!

This past season 693 snaps for the Buckeyes. He allowed 4 QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing at right tackle.
    Look at the size of this guy!!
    % in the draft
    Height: 6-8 (97%*)
    Weight:359 (100%*)
    Hands: 11 5/8 (100%*)
    Arm: 36 1/8 (98%*)
    Wingspan(100%*)

120 : C/G Sedrick Van Pran Georgia

Yes another O-Linemen !

He let up no sacks as a starter for 3 years.

Could challenge Dotson for a starting position. And add depth to Cole for Center.

193: QB Max Duggan TCU

If Pickett is our guy. We need a TRUE backup QB that is ok with that role. Max Duggan is being compared to Gardner Minshew, who I would love to have as a backup and serviceable when needed. Mitch and Mason both want to be a starter and could create a toxic environment in the locker room.

233: WR Jadakis Bonds Hampton U

6'4 200lbs WR that can ran a 4.4.

Big guy who dominated at a small school

Special teams body that can fight for a spot on the roster.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Of all the positions needed to be replaced or upgraded this offseason/draft, which one is more important to get with the 5th year option? Not as a reach for a player, just which position would be preferred.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Of all the positions needed to be replaced or upgraded this offseason/draft, which one is more important to get with the 5th year option? Not as a reach for a player, just which position would be preferred.
    I would say a LT would be the most important. If everything is in a vacuum and the talent is “equivalent” across the positions. Left Tackle would be most important to me…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I would say a LT would be the most important. If everything is in a vacuum and the talent is “equivalent” across the positions. Left Tackle would be most important to me…
    I think I agree with that.

1. Paris Johnson Jr. LT OSU
    2a. Cam Smith CB SCar
    2b. Nolan Smith LB UGA
    3. A.T. Perry WR Wake Forest
    4. Ricky Stromberg C/G Arkansas

I would go lineman, whether its OL or DL. They seem to take longer to develop, especially OL.

Rd1(17). Trenton Simpson LB Clemson
    Rd2a(32). Jalin Hyatt WR Tennessee
    Rd2b(49). O'Cyrus Torrence OG Florida
    Rd3(80). Gervon Dexter DL Florida
    Rd4(120). Steven Gilmore CB Marshall
    Rd7a(193). Joe Tippman C/G Wisconsin
    Rd7b(233). Carter Warren OT Pitt

Rd1(17). Trenton Simpson LB Clemson
    Rd2a(32). Jalin Hyatt WR Tennessee
    Rd2b(49). O'Cyrus Torrence OG Florida
    Rd3(80). Gervon Dexter DL Florida
    Rd4(120). Steven Gilmore CB Marshall
    Rd7a(193). Joe Tippman C/G Wisconsin
    Rd7b(233). Carter Warren OT Pitt
    Joe Tippman is my favorite pick here. I don't think he lasts til the 7th though. He's a tall OC yes, but could probably move all along the OL in a pinch. I'd be perfectly happy with him in the 4th.

Way too much talent on the board to go Simpson as early as 1(17) imo and WR is a luxury at 2A imo. Torrence would be a great 2B pick though.

Joe Tippman is my favorite pick here. I don't think he lasts til the 7th though. He's a tall OC yes, but could probably move all along the OL in a pinch. I'd be perfectly happy with him in the 4th.

Way too much talent on the board to go Simpson as early as 1(17) imo and WR is a luxury at 2A imo. Torrence would be a great 2B pick though.
    Don’t worry, I have 100 more combinations of mocks to come. (Maybe not 100)

Don’t worry, I have 100 more combinations of mocks to come. (Maybe not 100)
    No slight intended, I'll change my faves a couple hundred times too. the draft is a calculated crap shoot and everyone loves a dice game.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    That top five may change order, but it’s those five in some order.

If not the Steelers, I’d gladly take the Bolts winning.

Porter over Ringo? I love Peezy, and would root like crazy for his son. But…
    So Peezy was evidently fired for trying to split the Steelers locker room and I’m not sure he’s been back for any organizational activities since then. Does that concern you (or anyone) when considering to draft his son. I think it would be something that would need to be discussed?

So Peezy was evidently fired for trying to split the Steelers locker room and I’m not sure he’s been back for any organizational activities since then. Does that concern you (or anyone) when considering to draft his son. I think it would be something that would need to be discussed?
    I keep seeing Joey Jr going top10 so not really a thing if true. There are maybe 7 CBs that the Steelers could take at 17 and I believe we would be happy with. They could even take Jordan Battle to replace Terrell Edmunds at SS and I wouldn't complain too much. But, I would be very happy to draft Joey Jr to answer your question.

2nd mock today:

1. Devon Witherspoon CB Illinois
    2a. Siaki Ika DL Baylor
    2b. Nolan Smith LB Georgia
    3. Emil Ekiyor OG Bama
    4. Ronnie Bell WR Michigan
    7a. Stetson Bennett QB Georgia
    7b. Chris Rodriguez RB Kentucky

No OT this round.

I keep seeing Joey Jr going top10 so not really a thing if true. There are maybe 7 CBs that the Steelers could take at 17 and I believe we would be happy with. They could even take Jordan Battle to replace Terrell Edmunds at SS and I wouldn't complain too much. But, I would be very happy to draft Joey Jr to answer your question.
    I don’t think he will be there when they pick either but I’m wondering if internally within the organization or on Joey Sr.’s part if there may be some reservation to drafting him. I would draft him too and be well over the nonsense…

2nd mock today:

1. Devon Witherspoon CB Illinois
    2a. Siaki Ika DL Baylor
    2b. Nolan Smith LB Georgia
    3. Emil Ekiyor OG Bama
    4. Ronnie Bell WR Michigan
    7a. Stetson Bennett QB Georgia
    7b. Chris Rodriguez RB Kentucky

No OT this round.
    That'd be awesome. I don't know much about Ronnie Bell, I'll have to look into him more.

Confession time: I'm probably not going to take the time digging into the QBs, RBs and WRs this draft go around as I just don't think they should be targets in rnds 1-4. I can realistically see a Rd 4 WR though, but I'll rely on the draft visit list to hone down any favs.

With Gentry as an UFA, I will look into the TEs some but not a ton as I think they sign him. The dude from Georgia would be awesome next year, Brock Bowers.

- - - Updated - - -

Just my take, but they are two different dudes. And I can see the Father-Son talk, "Hey, don't make the same mistakes I did. It can and will cost you at some point."

The different mock sites have different draft spots in the later rounds so I'm not using overall pick numbers.

1. O'Cyrus Torrence OG Florida

2a. Siaki Ika NT Baylor

2b. Emmanuel Forbes CB MissState

3. Jordan Battle SS Battle

4. Andrei Iosivas WR Princeton

7a. Carter Warren OT Pitt

7b. Tyson Bagent QB Shepherd

1. Quentin Johnston WR TCU
    2a. Darnell Wright OT Tennessee
    2b. Emmanuel Forbes CB MissState
    3. Noah Sewell LB Oregon
    4. Gervon Dexter NT Florida

Some changes....

1. Devon Witherspoon CB Illinois (no change)
    2A. Andrew Voorhees OL USC. Bump up from 2B as I think he'll be more at risk to be gone by 2B.
    2B. Felix Anudike-Uzomah OLB Kansas State. I like what I've been seeing on film with this guy. Man, that'd be a great rotation imo at OLB.
    3. Mohamoud Diabate ILB Utah. More experienced in coverage so Mark Robinson can lay the boom. And they can both learn behind whatever starters are here.
    4. PJ Mustipher DT Penn State. I'm sure Alualu retires so an anchor in the middle is desparately needed.

Some changes....

1. Devon Witherspoon CB Illinois (no change)
    2A. Andrew Voorhees OL USC. Bump up from 2B as I think he'll be more at risk to be gone by 2B.
    2B. Felix Anudike-Uzomah OLB Kansas State. I like what I've been seeing on film with this guy. Man, that'd be a great rotation imo at OLB.
    3. Mohamoud Diabate ILB Utah. More experienced in coverage so Mark Robinson can lay the boom. And they can both learn behind whatever starters are here.
    4. PJ Mustipher DT Penn State. I'm sure Alualu retires so an anchor in the middle is desparately needed.
    2 players I immediately penciled in as 'to keep an eye on' since the Steelers will probably have interest were Maryland OT Jaelyn Duncan and PSU DL PJ Mustipher.

What is your thought on drafting OLB with Roche back? Does it move the needle at all as far as need?

2 players I immediately penciled in as 'to keep an eye on' since the Steelers will probably have interest were Maryland OT Jaelyn Duncan and PSU DL PJ Mustipher.

What is your thought on drafting OLB with Roche back? Does it move the needle at all as far as need?
    I think Roche is a candidate for OLB 4/5 to be honest. They'll want to fill some spots for that position since Malik Reed is an UFA, hence the Roche signing. They don't want to go into the draft with just Watt and Highsmith. I really think they target an OLB with their 2A, 2B or 3 picks (specifically 2B and 3). There's a couple candidates there in Derick Hall, Anudike-Uzomah, Foskey and I'm sure some others.

- - - Updated - - -

2A is really such a sweet spot for OL. Whether its OT or IOL imo.

If Roche is 4/5 OLB they are screwed.

If Roche is 4/5 OLB they are screwed.
    Who is screwed? and why?

Who is screwed? and why?
    Roche isn’t an NFL talent. USFL…maybe.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com

This site has mock drafts from several different scout sites and uses mocks from various writers from each site. Lots of mocks to look at.

The first round consensus for the Steelers seems to be CB, and by a large margin. Followed by OL next, then some variation of DL, ILB, & Safety. Obviously pre-FA signings and all workouts and interviews. I would say I am pretty much thinking the same, except for that 5th year option that comes with the 1st round. In that case I would go OL over CB depending on the BPA. If it's close I go with the OL there.