Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Positives from Week 1

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Positives from Week 1

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Yep. I watched the rotation of the D line. I didn't see Loudermilk but the others I saw rotating in alot.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Yep. I watched the rotation of the D line. I didn't see Loudermilk but the others I saw rotating in alot.
    Loudermilk was inactive....

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Loudermilk was inactive....
    Thanks. I was not aware.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    We won the game.
    Whipping boy Devin Bush had his best game since his rookie year.
    l.
    I rewatched the first 3 quarters of the game and you know, Bush was active, aggressive and made some tackles and was tight in his man pass coverage.

You may be correct in that this was his best game since coming back from the injury. Lets hope he continues to improve week to week.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Another random thought. Sure that I’ve got details wrong. All current accounts of the game indicate Steelers played a great deal of zone coverage. But I feel like I noticed a difference in the goal of the zone. Previous versions of the defense seemed to zone in order to limit the big play and tackle the catch as the cliche goes. This time it seems to be zone but with an emphasis on route identification by DBs and then driving hard to contest the catch point to use another cliche.

Again details are wrong but results seem to point towards a shift in emphasis maybe as result of Austin and Flores coaching philosophy?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I rewatched the first 3 quarters of the game and you know, Bush was active, aggressive and made some tackles and was tight in his man pass coverage.

You may be correct in that this was his best game since coming back from the injury. Lets hope he continues to improve week to week.
    Yep

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...l=1#post807524

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yeah, I guess the rest of the posters here are too busy hating on Trubisky for being the better QB on sunday and contributing to a road win....otherwise they would be noticing that Bush played well.

Moving on to New England....movin' on.

I believe Bush had the green dot. Also on Highsmith's strip sack, if Alex wasn't there, Bush was there and would have pummelled Burrow for a sack.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Green dot had to move around. No one player, except Edmunds and MF, were on the field enough.

I wonder if it was some combination of Jack, Bush, and MF?

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I believe Bush had the green dot. Also on Highsmith's strip sack, if Alex wasn't there, Bush was there and would have pummelled Burrow for a sack.
    Honestly, its just the first game of the season, so I get it that the Bush haters have a lot of season to lash out when he has a sub par performance. I find it funny that the "its just the first game of the season" stance doesnt cut it for Trubisky...in a win.

Honestly, its just the first game of the season, so I get it that the Bush haters have a lot of season to lash out when he has a sub par performance. I find it funny that the "its just the first game of the season" stance doesnt cut it for Trubisky...in a win.
    It take more that one game to change the mind of people and this is normal

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Let’s say the defense stays somewhat close to the level it was Week One…what do they do with Flores and Austin next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

I love it!

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Lot of different looks, burrow was probably confused, love it. Now if we can get the offense to work half decently this is a championship level squad

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Let’s say the defense stays somewhat close to the level it was Week One…what do they do with Flores and Austin next year?
    Give them title bumps to something like "Assistant Head Coach - Defense" and then back up a dump truck of money to each of their homes and toss them the keys.

Add a responsibility to each of their jobs: Identify, hire, and train young creative assistants/position coaches to install as their replacements when they get another job.

Hell, let Flores coach offense.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Give them title bumps to something like "Assistant Head Coach - Defense" and then back up a dump truck of money to each of their homes and toss them the keys.

Add a responsibility to each of their jobs: Identify, hire, and train young creative assistants/position coaches to install as their replacements when they get another job.

Hell, let Flores coach offense.
    Which would you pay the big money to in order to keep. I think it has to go to Flores…IF the defense plays like they have…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Which would you pay the big money to in order to keep. I think it has to go to Flores…IF the defense plays like they have…
    Not sure we know enough to figure that out yet. Since there’s no cap for coaches, I got no problem spending all of Mr. Rooney’s money to keep both.

But I get your question and I’m not sure who does what to have an opinion.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Sure Trubisky had better numbers in terms of QBR and turnovers, but when did Trubisky ever show an ability to push the ball down the field?

Burrow had all those turnovers and still put his team in position to win the football game. It was pathetic that we only won that game by 3 points and Mitch Trubisky's inability to push the ball down the field and convert on 3rd downs had a huge factor in that.

I know the Oline and play calling also had a factor in that game, but you switch Burrow with Trubsiky in that game and we win by 20 points. Trubisky didnt outplay Burrow in the slightest. That's ridiculous. That game should have been a blowout if Trubisky could've mustered up any kind of drive even if it was just to kill clock.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Sure Trubisky had better numbers in terms of QBR and turnovers, but when did Trubisky ever show an ability to push the ball down the field?

Burrow had all those turnovers and still put his team in position to win the football game. It was pathetic that we only won that game by 3 points and Mitch Trubisky's inability to push the ball down the field and convert on 3rd downs had a huge factor in that.

I know the Oline and play calling also had a factor in that game, but you switch Burrow with Trubsiky in that game and we win by 20 points. Trubisky didnt outplay Burrow in the slightest. That's ridiculous. That game should have been a blowout if Trubisky could've mustered up any kind of drive even if it was just to kill clock.
    If you watch the offense, playcalling, route running and defensive coverage, rather than just blanket complain about Trubisky...you would see there were not a lot of great opportunities to push the ball downfield.

The entire offense needs to get better, but for a stat line of 21-38, 194 yards , 1TD, 0 INT and WIN on the road its no reason for the "sky is falling cat" to be out like so many of the haters want.

Week 12 of 2021. Steelers vs Bengals. Ben Roethilisberger was 24-41, 2TD, 1 INT and STEELERS LOSS of 41-10. Nobody was as hard on Ben in that loss, than they are on Mitch in this win.

Some fans need to just take the WIN, move on to next week and realize that the next few years will be more of Mike Tomczak, Bubby Brister, Tommy Maddox at QB than Ben Roethlisberger.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Some fans need to just take the WIN, move on to next week and realize that the next few years will be more of Mike Tomczak, Bubby Brister, Tommy Maddox at QB than Ben Roethlisberger.
    Why should the next few years be like that when we have a 1st round pick waiting in the wings?

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Why should the next few years be like that when we have a 1st round pick waiting in the wings?
    Exactly!

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Week 12 of 2021. Steelers vs Bengals. Ben Roethilisberger was 24-41, 2TD, 1 INT and STEELERS LOSS of 41-10. Nobody was as hard on Ben in that loss, than they are on Mitch in this win.
    My thought process:
    - Ben Roethlisberger is given more of a benefit of the doubt because he's a future first ballot hall of famer and should get more respect than a journeyman QB

- Ben wasn't aided by a herculean defensive effort. If he had a similar showing by our defense (5 turnovers, 1 defensive score, one turnover deep in enemy territory), I'd say Ben would've led a victory without needing OT to win.

- The defense's best effort I've seen in YEARS was nearly wasted by the offense's ineptitude. Yes, we know Mitch is supposed to be a game manager, but game managers are supposed to move the ball (When I think game manager, I think Neil O'Donnell, someone you can count on to at least run a ball-control offense, while not making critical errors, super bowl XXX be damned). A few first downs here and there in the 2nd half would've had the game on ice.

- A 42-10 loss there'd be a lot of blame to go around. That's a total team loss with that kind of score. A 23-20 win with 5 turnovers forced, committing 0 turnovers, is saying your defense did their job, offense shit the bed and the blame is on that side of the team. Quarterback ultimately is the most important part of that side of the team and likely deserves most of the criticism, especially when he barely had 100 yards passing at the end of regulation. The 194 yards looks respectable but considering that's in 5 quarters of play, very poor.

- And we do have a 1st round pick at QB who is touted as NFL ready and looks to be a hell of a lot more accurate with ball placement in short-mid routes. It's hard to think that he wouldn't be better.

- I could understand if this was Ben's last season, but Ben is a future HoF guy. Trubisky is a 1st round bust that wasn't even offered the 5th year option in Chicago, to show how much value he was perceived to have on his old team. He sat for a year behind Josh Allen in Buffalo, is he all of a sudden going to be more skilled by osmosis? He's basically someone fighting for his last chance at being an NFL starter, and honestly, he's not playing like it right now. We won the game vs Cincy DESPITE his performance, not because of it.

- I'll be hoping he plays better vs NE, and he probably will since the bar isn't very high from the 1st game. However, if he repeats this performance again this Sunday, I'll have to say his seat is going to start getting warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Because all first round QB's drafted pan out as franchise QB's. Correct?

Its a sure thing.

Its a sure thing.
    More likely than Trubisky magically becoming a franchise QB

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    My thought process:
    - Ben Roethlisberger is given more of a benefit of the doubt because he's a future first ballot hall of famer and should get more respect than a journeyman QB

- Ben wasn't aided by a herculean defensive effort. If he had a similar showing by our defense (5 turnovers, 1 defensive score, one turnover deep in enemy territory), I'd say Ben would've led a victory without needing OT to win.

- The defense's best effort I've seen in YEARS was nearly wasted by the offense's ineptitude. Yes, we know Mitch is supposed to be a game manager, but game managers are supposed to move the ball (When I think game manager, I think Neil O'Donnell, someone you can count on to at least run a ball-control offense, while not making critical errors, super bowl XXX be damned). A few first downs here and there in the 2nd half would've had the game on ice.

- A 42-10 loss there'd be a lot of blame to go around. That's a total team loss with that kind of score. A 23-20 win with 5 turnovers forced, committing 0 turnovers, is saying your defense did their job, offense shit the bed and the blame is on that side of the team. Quarterback ultimately is the most important part of that side of the team and likely deserves most of the criticism, especially when he barely had 100 yards passing at the end of regulation. The 194 yards looks respectable but considering that's in 5 quarters of play, very poor.

- And we do have a 1st round pick at QB who is touted as NFL ready and looks to be a hell of a lot more accurate with ball placement in short-mid routes. It's hard to think that he wouldn't be better.

- I could understand if this was Ben's last season, but Ben is a future HoF guy. Trubisky is a 1st round bust that wasn't even offered the 5th year option in Chicago, to show how much value he was perceived to have on his old team. He sat for a year behind Josh Allen in Buffalo, is he all of a sudden going to be more skilled by osmosis? He's basically someone fighting for his last chance at being an NFL starter, and honestly, he's not playing like it right now. We won the game vs Cincy DESPITE his performance, not because of it.

- I'll be hoping he plays better vs NE, and he probably will since the bar isn't very high from the 1st game. However, if he repeats this performance again this Sunday, I'll have to say his seat is going to start getting warm.
    This is so true that it will be ignored as usual when it's too true

If we are not able to see the difference between the last two games in Cincinati, we have a problem...The entire team was awful last year, this year, we were an extra point away from losing this game despite our defense was exceptional....huge difference

- - - Updated - - -

Its a sure thing.
    Don't put words in other people's mouths.......