Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ahead of the Game: New England Patriots

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Ahead of the Game: New England Patriots

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I'm just not a big fan of running our vanilla offense out there vs a BB defense. I don't think we will see much of a run game and will be forced to rely on MT throwing the ball. That's what I would do. You guys all saw the chart of routes run and passes thrown. IF there is no 'pushing the ball downfield' I don't think the Pats defense even breaks a sweat this week.

IF MT really does have accuracy issues in short to mid-range throws, you definitely don't run those this week. I would like to see us use the athleticism of Claypool, Pickens, DJ, and Freiermuth more with throwing them some 50/50 balls to a radius/area and let them go get catches. That's exactly what those guys did in college. Those QBs weren't accurate either. Play to the strengths of the offense. Which is the playmaking ability of our WRs.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

I saw Mike Williams on the chargers get balls with the defender all draped on him. I would like to see some balls thrown to Pickens like this to see if he can do the same

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The defense SHOULD be able to contain the Judge-Patricia offensive “juggernaut” even without Watt. They appear to lack high caliber weapons and a coherent plan. Reports indicate that there has even been lack of clarity on blocking scheme in-game. I suspect Austin and Flores can make some noise with that. If the Steelers coverage was able to contain Burrow and Chase, then Jones and nothing should be relatively easy.

On offense? No idea. It might be the first team to 9 points takes it.

I expect to see a lot of punts.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The defense SHOULD be able to contain the Judge-Patricia offensive “juggernaut” even without Watt. They appear to lack high caliber weapons and a coherent plan. Reports indicate that there has even been lack of clarity on blocking scheme in-game. I suspect Austin and Flores can make some noise with that. If the Steelers coverage was able to contain Burrow and Chase, then Jones and nothing should be relatively easy.

On offense? No idea. It might be the first team to 9 points takes it.

I expect to see a lot of punts.
    You do understand the other team is going to gameplan for this week too? The events of last week have very little bearing on this week's matchups. Just assuming that stopping the Cincy run game and getting 5 turnovers vs Burrow will automatically translate to the Patriots, based on the Bengals should be the better team of the 2, is illogical at best.

But I guess that's why they play the games. The Steelers are home underdogs in this one based on what I read earlier in the week. You may be right about this being a low scoring game. I think the Steelers defense really is that good. I also think the Patriots defense will be their usual selves and have a good plan for us. AND I don't believe anyone has much confidence in either offense.

I like our offense and our weapons this game over the Patriots. Mainly because I know the weapons better and I am the eternal optimist. I think we will look improved over last week's performance. I also think the Patriot's offense will see some improvement in game2. How much these offenses improve this week is the big question mark. 2 strong defenses and 2 weak offenses(assumed) makes for an interesting chess match, don't you think?

If both offenses are terrible but commit very few turnovers, it will be a field position game!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    You do understand the other team is going to gameplan for this week too? The events of last week have very little bearing on this week's matchups. Just assuming that stopping the Cincy run game and getting 5 turnovers vs Burrow will automatically translate to the Patriots, based on the Bengals should be the better team of the 2, is illogical at best.

But I guess that's why they play the games. The Steelers are home underdogs in this one based on what I read earlier in the week. You may be right about this being a low scoring game. I think the Steelers defense really is that good. I also think the Patriots defense will be their usual selves and have a good plan for us. AND I don't believe anyone has much confidence in either offense.

I like our offense and our weapons this game over the Patriots. Mainly because I know the weapons better and I am the eternal optimist. I think we will look improved over last week's performance. I also think the Patriot's offense will see some improvement in game2. How much these offenses improve this week is the big question mark. 2 strong defenses and 2 weak offenses(assumed) makes for an interesting chess match, don't you think?
    I realize everything you said.

Jones and Burrow have the same weaknesses as QBs. Primarily they both lack high end arm strength to muscle longer throws into small spaces. I think that’s one of the reasons why the Steelers played so much two high safeties against the Bengals. Take away the Chase based explosive plays and drive safeties and CBs towards the catch point on out breaking and seam routes to try and catch some passes. I suspect we will see a similar approach against Jones in an attempt to generate some more INTs.

The other thing that’s similar between the two teams on offense is their predictable play calling. Cincy basically lines up under center to run and in shotgun empty to pass. No play action. No motion. Etc. Think of the play where Watt teleported into the backfield and ripped Mixon’s head off at the handoff. Watt “knew” the play because Taylor is a predictable play caller. Early reports are that Judge and Patricia are not exactly acing this offense stuff and the Dolphins were able to key on some things to make some big plays.

So I’m going to remain optimistic that a well coached defense with playmakers at all 3 levels can make some big plays against a poorly coached offense that lacks big playmakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J09SZ02lu3c

When I was looking ahead to this week vs the Patriots, I looked at this video highlights of the week 1 game between the Dolphins and Patriots just to see what they looked like. I see a tough defense that is going to spend a lot of time in the backfield chasing MT unless our OL can really step up and protect. I honestly don't see us having success with our run game this week. I would love to see our offense take some chances and throw to the very athletic WR corps and let them make some plays. Whether that is downfield, in the middle, short, inside or outside, makes no difference to me. Protect the QB and give him time to get the ball to the playmakers. We have more big play threats than the Patriots right now. I think we rely on our defense to get us the W again this week though.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

It'll be a tough game. They played like crap against Miami but for whatever reason, they couldn't consistently win in Miami even with Brady as their QB. Miami just always had their number at home sorta like us playing in Jacksonville or Philadelphia
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Definite loss.

27-13

The offensive line will not stop the Patriots defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

17-13 steelers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    It'll be a tough game. They played like crap against Miami but for whatever reason, they couldn't consistently win in Miami even with Brady as their QB. Miami just always had their number at home sorta like us playing in Jacksonville or Philadelphia
    Problem against the jaguars is always at home...In Jacksonville,the steelers win most of the time

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

19-16 Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

All depends on which Trubisky shows up: last weeks, or a new ‘more aggressive’ improved one

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    All depends on which Trubisky shows up: last weeks, or a new ‘more aggressive’ improved one
    We need to attack the middle of the field, it's almost like either the game plan or the steelers qb's are playing scared. Aint nobody got time for that

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Definite loss.

27-13

The offensive line will not stop the Patriots defense.
    Thanks for the reverse karma!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Has there ever been a sighting of that Trubisky?

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Is he wrong? After only 1 week of games to go by the Steelers and Patriots are pretty even in every statistical category. But the Patriots are sitting 1 spot ahead of the Steelers on the list.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    We need to attack the middle of the field, it's almost like either the game plan or the steelers qb's are playing scared. Aint nobody got time for that
    It’s probably both the QB and the game plan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Has there ever been a sighting of that Trubisky?
    nope

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Always said this, the most overrated coach in NFL history. Without cheating and Brady he's a .500 coach.
    but but but but they say he is a mastermind ................ (#fakenews)
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Two hours until the "punt-pocalypse"!

I hope Harvin is eating his Wheaties this morning.

In all seriousness, if the offensive line can take another step forward today, this is a winnable game for the Steelers. I am just not going to predict against them in an "ugly" game. They seem to win those somehow someway all the time.

In all seriousness, if the offensive line can take another step forward today, this is a winnable game for the Steelers. I am just not going to predict against them in an "ugly" game. They seem to win those somehow someway all the time.
    Michael Irvin predict that this game will have 8 interceptions combined between his 2 teams!

This is his bold prediction this week in the NFL!

Our returner is their old returner.

Looks like the Steelers will kick off as 2pt home dogs vs the Patriots.

Even after going on the road and beating the defending AFC champs last week, I guess the loss of TJ for this game makes the difference? The offense struggled mightily I do understand, but the weapons are there to make some plays and to come through in the clutch.

I'll take the Steelers + the 2pts. Steelers win straight up though.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

REVENGE GAME!!!

Guarantee for the week…Gunner takes one to the house!!! Danny Smith special teams continues to dominate!

REVENGE GAME!!!

Guarantee for the week…Gunner takes one to the house!!! Danny Smith special teams continues to dominate!
    It took only 9 years to have a dominant special team under Danny Smith!

The mighty mite!

The malignant midget!

The nasty gnat!

I like this dude, but man let's stop with the blocking on the end of the line stuff!

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

REVENGE GAME!!!

Ouch!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Ouch!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Or not…lol

REVENGE GAME!!!

he almost took one to the house alright, unfortunately for the wrong team