Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We did everything we could to throw away that game. Bench Trubisky NOW.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Re: We did everything we could to throw away that game. Bench Trubisky NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Hopefully, but not likely.
    From what I’ve seen from Pickett, I’d be surprised if he’s not at least a pro bowl level QB. Worst case scenario he’s Andy Dalton

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Not gonna matter if it’s Trubisky, Pickett, Rudolph, Cousins, Tannehill, Tua, Carr, Wilson, Lance, Hurts, Prescott, Stafford, etc.

When you can’t scheme a WR open…when you are running middle school routes into multiple DBs, only have to rush 3-4 people for pressure on a QB, don’t use the middle of the field and the defense doesn’t have to worry a damn about a running game…you’ll never succeed.
    This

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Those pass charts that PB posted in the Fire Canada thread show a very telling story…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Cowher did not WANT a QB.

His philosophy was to run the ball and take the money that would normally be slotted for a franchise and use it to re-sign an extra 2-3 Pro Bowl defenders. It almost worked… until… his QBs blew up in the post season.
    But also it was a different era. Imagine Marino on the 2020 Chiefs. QBs couldn't carry games then like they can now and it shows in the level of QB that won Super Bowls. Gibbs won with three different QBs. The Giants used to demolish Montana. Aikman won three Super Bowls and his career rating is 81 with nearly 1:1 TD:INT ratio.

I'd say starting Maddox over Ben in 2004 was a bigger mistake for Cowher. If Maddox hadn't been hurt would Ben have been far enough along in his development to ball out in the 05-06 playoffs?

Securing an elite QB has always been extremely difficult especially in the 90s. Which elite QB are you saying Cowher passed on? I only saw Brees in the 2002 draft who went in the 2nd. There really weren't many good QBs drafted in the 90s and they rarely changed teams.

Young retired a 49er, Aikman a Cowboy, Marino a Dolphin, Elway a Bronco etc. It's not like there were a lot of options.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yup. That charts been tossed around before.

Won’t change anything. After all he plays with a solid athletic base and breathed the same air as Brian Daboll for a year.

The Trubisky Turnaround is just about to happen.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

IMO it was worth it to see if Trubisky had evolved and developed. After the Jets game, it will be safe to say that he has not. Experiment over.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    IMO it was worth it to see if Trubisky had evolved and developed. After the Jets game, it will be safe to say that he has not. Experiment over.
    Fair. I’m starting to come around on the idea that MT gets to be a meat shield until the bye.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That was my initial thought. Now I’m at the point where I don’t care who is at QB, the offense will suck either way, so however it plays out it plays out. Beat Trubisky up for the season and go in fresh with Pickett in 2023…fine. Put Pickett in now and let him get destroyed, fine. Downside to the first is they may keep Canada for 2023, upside for the second, Tomlin May finally realize that Canada is a buffoon and fire him at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

It does make a difference though. A pretty big one. Even if KP struggles (I think he’ll be better than Mitch btw) you get a good look at his play in real games and can make a pretty good evaluation if you need to go Qb in the next draft or not. 23 is going to have a strong QB class apparently. And the Steelers may have a pretty high pick

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Whatever the outcome of 22 is - whether KP plays or not - if he does, whether he stinks or excels - the Steelers are NOT/NOT/NOT drafting a QB in R1 in 23.

Whatever the outcome of 22 is - whether KP plays or not - if he does, whether he stinks or excels - the Steelers are NOT/NOT/NOT drafting a QB in R1 in 23.
    that is a really good bet. Like just go put your house on it. You'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Yup. That charts been tossed around before.

Won’t change anything. After all he plays with a solid athletic base and breathed the same air as Brian Daboll for a year.

The Trubisky Turnaround is just about to happen.
    4 full regular seasons 3 games and counting!

that is a really good bet. Like just go put your house on it. You'll be fine.
    I will if given the chance. A team with 3 coaches in over 50 years isn't giving up on a rookie QB in less than a full season.

I will if given the chance. A team with 3 coaches in over 50 years isn't giving up on a rookie QB in less than a full season.
    Totally agree.

you may be right about the way the Steelers go about things, but it helps to keep your options open. Based on his preseason performance (being decisive, throwing people open, accuracy) and maturity, he's probably going to be ok or better. If by some small chance he craps the bed and can't handle the pro game maybe the steelers should know sooner rather than later. then if they have a top 10 pick and the top QB prospects are there, they have options.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I just wonder how smart all the people urging patience are going to feel in about 3 more months, when we're out of the playoff picture by one game, and we need some crazy set of outcomes that includes the Bears beating the Chiefs or something, and everyone is saying, "Man, if only we had that Jets game back / that Browns game back / that Patriots game back."
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I just wonder how smart all the people urging patience are going to feel in about 3 more months, when we're out of the playoff picture by one game, and we need some crazy set of outcomes that includes the Bears beating the Chiefs or something, and everyone is saying, "Man, if only we had that Jets game back / that Browns game back / that Patriots game back."
    I don't know how I will feel about things later, but I do think that for now patience is warranted. I honestly believe there is a plan in place and a process the team is going through. Once it gets to the place the coaches deem, we will start to see the next phase of the plan. Maybe it's just how I see the football world in general. I do not think what we are seeing now is the plan though.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I don't know how I will feel about things later, but I do think that for now patience is warranted. I honestly believe there is a plan in place and a process the team is going through. Once it gets to the place the coaches deem, we will start to see the next phase of the plan. Maybe it's just how I see the football world in general. I do not think what we are seeing now is the plan though.
    This confused me. Likely because I’m not smart. But there’s a plan but not a plan?

Do you mean things aren’t going according to plan or they just aren’t following a plan right now?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This confused me. Likely because I’m not smart. But there’s a plan but not a plan?

Do you mean things aren’t going according to plan or they just aren’t following a plan right now?
    No. I just meant that what we see now is not the final stage of any plan(s). I think there is a plan and has been since pre-draft. What we are seeing currently is the process to fulfill a plan, not the plan(s) itself. Everything is fluid to some extent. Of course there was no plan for Watt to get hurt, or for MT to play so poorly. I think there was a plan to start out with MT at QB while the offense 'matures'. I would even wager there are short term and long term contingencies. I don't know what they are, I simply believe they exist.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...adams-nfl-news

I think this article from the homepage does a better job than I can talking about the fluidity of plans and built-in short term and long term contingencies. Only apply this to the offense for the moment.
    Last edited by Born2Steel; 10-01-2022 at 09:36 AM.

No. I just meant that what we see now is not the final stage of any plan(s). I think there is a plan and has been since pre-draft. What we are seeing currently is the process to fulfill a plan, not the plan(s) itself. Everything is fluid to some extent. Of course there was no plan for Watt to get hurt, or for MT to play so poorly. I think there was a plan to start out with MT at QB while the offense 'matures'. I would even wager there are short term and long term contingencies. I don't know what they are, I simply believe they exist.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...adams-nfl-news

I think this article from the homepage does a better job than I can talking about the fluidity of plans and built-in short term and long term contingencies. Only apply this to the offense for the moment.
    I can see that.

I just think the Steelers have been less than honest with themselves for several years now. They’re not a contender. They’re a team in need of a serious rebuild. And they’ve not been operating like it. They’ve been approaching it like a team trying to make a deep playoff run.

Seeing them play Adams and Leal more is a great start.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

If this is the plan, it's a shitty plan and needs to be changed.

If this is not the plan, then the plan isn't working and needs to be changed.

Only in the most imaginative of reaches is anything going on right now "helping" Pickett get ready or helping the team.

"Here you go, Kenny, it's a 2-6 record and the offense is in shambles, and everyone is either pissed off or their confidence is shot - good luck! Checkmate, haters!"

No, that only works if you'll believe anything to convince yourself.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I can see that.

I just think the Steelers have been less than honest with themselves for several years now. They’re not a contender. They’re a team in need of a serious rebuild. And they’ve not been operating like it. They’ve been approaching it like a team trying to make a deep playoff run.

Seeing them play Adams and Leal more is a great start.
    If it would be up to me, I would have done a rebuild after the disastrous end of the 2018 season, but it's too late right now