Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Canada

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Fire Canada

Yes, our OL needs work. Yes MT isn’t going to carry this team on his back.

But we just saw the exact same inept offense gameplan we saw for three quarters of each game last season. We all collectively hoped it was Ben that wasn’t able to make this throws, but it is obvious that Canada is the issue. MT has no issues airing out the ball, has no problem rolling out and tossing it 50yds on the move. But if there are not any open WRs to throw to, we can all agree the issue is the OC and that needs to be a priority change ASAP. Canada got his mobile QB and the only reason we scored points is because our defense who scored and gave us great field position all game long which we were barely able to convert.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Fire Canada

They had also only 9 first down in the first 60 minutes....Awful.We need production even if the turnovers could happen sometimes!

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Is Todd Haley available?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The few things I saw that were different…

More motion…not sure if it helped.

More jet sweep…couple nice runs.

More QB under center…not sure it helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

QB was trash, receivers had to make circus catches on what should've been routine throws. you can't scheme your way out of a shitty QB

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    QB was trash, receivers had to make circus catches on what should've been routine throws. you can't scheme your way out of a shitty QB
    true but you can help them.....
    Last edited by polamalubeast; 09-11-2022 at 05:25 PM.

I don't know. I saw them line up in the I formation at the goal line and not make it, twice. The next time, they line up in the I and throw the ball. That wouldn't have happened in the last few years, at least not without completely tipping our hand to it being a pass. I'm not ready to dump this on Canada right now. Our O-line is a mess and Trubisky is a mediocre game manager. I'm not willing to overlook those two large negatives to place everything on Canada.

However, our RB finally rips off a 11-yard run and it is right through the tackles. Why go fancy the next play? The O-line got a good push. Go right back to it. See if they can stack two run plays. Give the O line a taste of red meat.

All-in-all, I'm not ready to fire Canada yet, but I'm not on the save Canada bandwagon either.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I say split the difference. Canada belongs in college, and Trubisky is who he is. A backup at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I don't know. I saw them line up in the I formation at the goal line and not make it, twice. The next time, they line up in the I and throw the ball. That wouldn't have happened in the last few years, at least not without completely tipping our hand to it being a pass. I'm not ready to dump this on Canada right now. Our O-line is a mess and Trubisky is a mediocre game manager. I'm not willing to overlook those two large negatives to place everything on Canada.

However, our RB finally rips off a 11-yard run and it is right through the tackles. Why go fancy the next play? The O-line got a good push. Go right back to it. See if they can stack two run plays. Give the O line a taste of red meat.

All-in-all, I'm not ready to fire Canada yet, but I'm not on the save Canada bandwagon either.
    That TD throw was defiantly one of very few good plays called. The first two attempted runs up the middle (ultimately resulting in a FG) when our offense had gained about zero yards running the ball to that point was just dumb. A sign of an OC who doesn’t know what he is doing. How many sacks did the OL give up? I recall 2-3 plays where MT has plenty of time and didn’t pass it cause there were no open WRs. 2-3 other times where MT extended the play by moving out of the pocket and again, nobody open. This was the same issue as last season for 3 qrtr every game until Ben took over calling plays where our offense opened up.

Don’t get me wrong, MT also had 3-5 passes he should have completed that killed drives as well. And the OL opened 1 lane for one good run all night. They need a lot of work, but I think we could do well if our OC was a JV middle school coach at best.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

More flea flickers is the only answer.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

I hate our presnap motion with Claypool... it almost give the defense a timing que on when the ball is going to be snapped.

Also, mitch can't be afraid to take 5 to 10 yards with his legs. Just keep the chains moving

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    That TD throw was defiantly one of very few good plays called. The first two attempted runs up the middle (ultimately resulting in a FG) when our offense had gained about zero yards running the ball to that point was just dumb. A sign of an OC who doesn’t know what he is doing. How many sacks did the OL give up? I recall 2-3 plays where MT has plenty of time and didn’t pass it cause there were no open WRs. 2-3 other times where MT extended the play by moving out of the pocket and again, nobody open. This was the same issue as last season for 3 qrtr every game until Ben took over calling plays where our offense opened up.

Don’t get me wrong, MT also had 3-5 passes he should have completed that killed drives as well. And the OL opened 1 lane for one good run all night. They need a lot of work, but I think we could do well if our OC was a JV middle school coach at best.
    And yet, if we came out and threw on every play at the goal line, you know as well as I do there'd be a dozen people calling for Canada's head because he didn't run the ball. In truth, I was happy to see him come out with a run, especially in an I formation at the goal line. Can't say how tired I am of seeing Steelers RBs running out of single-back formation in run situations and getting hammered.

And yet, if we came out and threw on every play at the goal line, you know as well as I do there'd be a dozen people calling for Canada's head because he didn't run the ball. In truth, I was happy to see him come out with a run, especially in an I formation at the goal line. Can't say how tired I am of seeing Steelers RBs running out of single-back formation in run situations and getting hammered.
    The idea to run the ball from the 3 was not a bad idea but the problem was the formation.It was too easy for the bengals to build a wall on defense against this formation....

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Don’t forget that when other teams giggle at your passing game, it’s hard to run.

Bengals getting a ton of heat for not running more clock before their OT punt. I’m convinced it wasn’t an error. I think they did it figuring they could get the ball back because Trubisky was that bad.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

And bench Mr. “I haven’t done anything to lose my job” Trubisky.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    Yeah, usually the solution to that one is to put in the good QB instead.

I didn't see a whole lot to like out of the play calling, but Mitch was just as bad as noodle-armed Ben. He just had different problems. Overthrowing the receiver by 5 yards and out of bounds does not make you any better at throwing the deep ball than the guy who can't do it because he's chucking up weak random floaters.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Yeah, usually the solution to that one is to put in the good QB instead.

I didn't see a whole lot to like out of the play calling, but Mitch was just as bad as noodle-armed Ben. He just had different problems. Overthrowing the receiver by 5 yards and out of bounds does not make you any better at throwing the deep ball than the guy who can't do it because he's chucking up weak random floaters.
    Ok. So others noticed that too!

Lord, some of those passes were comical how inaccurate they were.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The only question is do we start a Fire Canada thread every week (e.g., Fire Canada week 2) or just ride with one for the whole season?

How can Tomlin be patient with that trash offense?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The only question is do we start a Fire Canada thread every week (e.g., Fire Canada week 2) or just ride with one for the whole season?

How can Tomlin be patient with that trash offense?

He is patient with that since this offense is trash since 2019

I don’t mind 1 run, but after we got stuffed the first time, doing the same thing again was wrong.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

^^^this^^^

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I recall 2-3 plays where MT has plenty of time and didn’t pass it cause there were no open WRs. 2-3 other times where MT extended the play by moving out of the pocket and again, nobody open.
    Guys not open or a QB who simply can't make the "big boy" throws into tight windows that playing QB in the NFL requires? Because personally, I think it was more the latter. Some of the garbage passes MT was chucking up (more often than not off his back foot) would have required guys to be WIDE open with no defenders within 10 yards of them to be successful. That's not going to happen too often in the NFL. And a number of them were so far off the mark even that wouldn't have helped.

I honestly thought I was watching the Kordell Stewart Era Redux at times during that game.

Yes indeedy, the post-Roethlisberger era has definitely started. I just hope I don't have to watch this shit for another 20+ years like last time...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Don’t forget that when other teams giggle at your passing game, it’s hard to run.

Bengals getting a ton of heat for not running more clock before their OT punt. I’m convinced it wasn’t an error. I think they did it figuring they could get the ball back because Trubisky was that bad.
    In all fairness, they giggle at the run game as well…

Fire Canada

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Guys not open or a QB who simply can't make the "big boy" throws into tight windows that playing QB in the NFL requires? Because personally, I think it was more the latter. Some of the garbage passes MT was chucking up (more often than not off his back foot) would have required guys to be WIDE open with no defenders within 10 yards of them to be successful. That's not going to happen too often in the NFL. And a number of them were so far off the mark even that wouldn't have helped.

I honestly thought I was watching the Kordell Stewart Era Redux at times during that game.

Yes indeedy, the post-Roethlisberger era has definitely started. I just hope I don't have to watch this shit for another 20+ years like last time...
    So now you’re getting into the same excuses that we’re used against Ben. That the QB can’t make the throws so therefore you can’t run the offense.

So the teams thought process is:

2021 - Matt…we can’t run all of your playbook because Ben has a noodle for an arm. Just hang in there and next season we will go get a QB that can make the throws and we will run those plays and open up your playbook.

Off-season 2022 - Matt, what do you think about the following QBs. All NFL QBs but some have the same issues Ben had making the throws necessary to run your offense. Trubisky for instance can only make the throws to maybe open a third of your playbook.

Ok, we will take him.

Last year I was buying into the throw thing a little bit…very little. One game into this season…not buying into it this year or last year. The receivers aren’t even “NFL Open”.

Again, Trubisky is nothing to get excited about. Canada is downright terrible…

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    So now you’re getting into the same excuses that we’re used against Ben. That the QB can’t make the throws so therefore you can’t run the offense.

So the teams thought process is:

2021 - Matt…we can’t run all of your playbook because Ben has a noodle for an arm. Just hang in there and next season we will go get a QB that can make the throws and we will run those plays and open up your playbook.

Off-season 2022 - Matt, what do you think about the following QBs. All NFL QBs but some have the same issues Ben had making the throws necessary to run your offense. Trubisky for instance can only make the throws to maybe open a third of your playbook.

Ok, we will take him.

Last year I was buying into the throw thing a little bit…very little. One game into this season…not buying into it this year or last year. The receivers aren’t even “NFL Open”.

Again, Trubisky is nothing to get excited about. Canada is downright terrible…
    If you say so...

I think we have to watch the tape to see who's right on this, at least for yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I think we have to watch the tape to see who's right on this, at least for yesterday!
    That is what I have been saying. I want to see where the routes were run and who he missed or didn’t miss. I did see one play where Pickens was open but Freiermuth was also open on a mirror route which Trubisky completed. But I really want to see what he missed.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    If you say so...

This is what I was talking about. If it comes out on film that guys are getting open and MT isn't seeing them and Tomlin STILL stays with him, then that is on Tomlin. I think Tomlin is going to give MT a few weeks and if the film shows it he'll wait for a loss then make the switch. He realizes once he pulls the plug going back to MT would be very hard and most likely throw the season away.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    This is what I was talking about. If it comes out on film that guys are getting open and MT isn't seeing them and Tomlin STILL stays with him, then that is on Tomlin. I think Tomlin is going to give MT a few weeks and if the film shows it he'll wait for a loss then make the switch. He realizes once he pulls the plug going back to MT would be very hard and most likely throw the season away.
    I’ve read all the Bullshit reasons to sit KP for a year. Mahomes did it, if he plays bad and benched his confidence shot, this o line will get him killed, he looked good against guys now driving for UPS etc…bottom line he was decisive and more accurate than MT. Tomlin needs to fix his F up quickly.