Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Lamar Jackson

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Lamar Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    I've said it for years. He's a one trick pony that the league figured out. You can show me all his "numbers" but like you said the only ONE that matters is ONE. One playoff win.
    Past two years his passing numbers are sub par. Even for a guy who plays barely half the games.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

It would be a very long time he would have a very rich contract if he had an agent....I have no doubt about that....Watson's contract is an exception, because of the browns (and because of Bill O' Brien to have given him a stupid no trade clause), not the norm

I'm sure Mahomes is a very happy man right now with 45 million a year, even if he could have more and his contract is not fully guaranteed.

The money is very important, but that's not all, 150-175 million guaranteed and possibly more was a huge offer that Jackson rejected and if he loses at the end in this situation, I will not feel bad for him, since it was his decision to reject a very generous offer from the ravens and the ravens are also a high level organization....Plenty of QB stars wish they were in the same place that Lamar is right now but he didn't realize that....Need a agent big time

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    It would be a very long time he would have a very rich contract if he had an agent....I have no doubt about that....Watson's contract is an exception, because of the browns (and because of Bill O' Brien to have given him a stupid no trade clause), not the norm

I'm sure Mahomes is a very happy man right now with 45 million a year, even if he could have more and his contract is not fully guaranteed.

The money is very important, but that's not all, 150-175 million guaranteed and possibly more was a huge offer that Jackson rejected and if he loses at the end in this situation, I will not feel bad for him, since it was his decision to reject a very generous offer from the ravens and the ravens are also a high level organization....Plenty of QB stars wish they were in the same place that Lamar is right now but he didn't realize that....Need a agent big time

last QB I can recall that represented himself was out of the league pretty quickly after turning down a nice contract by his team , went from star to out of the league pretty quickly ... Dante Culpepper of the Vikes...

the biggest issue about being your own agent is

1) you cant be objective ....

2) you are not trained to do that job

3) you already have proven two things ,

A) you're greedy

and

B) you're not to bright that you actually believe you have the knowledge to understand all the contract language that is written by an actual lawyer trained in these things that you will likely get snookered even if you do get the numbers you were looking for by some clause somewhere in the fine print

Jackson is an idiot , so much so his mother wouldn't let him even speak to teams prior to the draft for fear he would mess it up my guess is he didnt gain much more brain power getting leveled by NFL defenders the past 4 years
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Multiple NFL teams predict that no one will make an offer for #Ravens QB Lamar Jackson, according to
    @JFowlerESPN

Fowler says he talked to a number of NFL teams and none of them can see a team in the league making an offer for Lamar.

175 Millions guaranteed was really the true offer by the ravens according to Adam Schefter.It could have been 133 but the ravens would have major cap penalties for that.....Lamar need a agent

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

how great would it be if lamar just pulled a leveon and sat out the season and the ravens get NOTHING ?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

175 Millions guaranteed was really the true offer by the ravens according to Adam Schefter.It could have been 133 but the ravens would have major cap penalties for that.....Lamar need a agent

lamar is a moron

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    how great would it be if lamar just pulled a leveon and sat out the season and the ravens get NOTHING ?
    he is dumb enough to do just that
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

For all those just repeating what Schefter and other Twitter experts are saying - Consider:

$133 million guaranteed was less than the guaranteed cash that Kyler Murry and Russel Wilson got. Jackson has a reasonable argument that he is better than either of those QBs.

But I thought it was $200 guaranteed....nope. After getting called out by Jackson, all parties involved spent a good deal of time walking this all back...because around $70 million was in roster bonuses and other things that could be paid out in the future but did not have to be.

It seems that Jackson understands this at least as well as the TV folks do...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    For all those just repeating what Schefter and other Twitter experts are saying - Consider:

$133 million guaranteed was less than the guaranteed cash that Kyler Murry and Russel Wilson got. Jackson has a reasonable argument that he is better than either of those QBs.

But I thought it was $200 guaranteed....nope. After getting called out by Jackson, all parties involved spent a good deal of time walking this all back...because around $70 million was in roster bonuses and other things that could be paid out in the future but did not have to be.

According to Schefter, the 133 million guaranteed is only if he was cut after the 2022 season and it was not because of an injury.... If the Ravens would have made this decision, the dead cap would have been at 70 million , so no way he would have been cut.....Jackson was almost 100% sure to have 175 million guaranteed if he would have accepted this offer...The big problem is that Lamar wants more than the guaranteed contract from Watson and the ravens don't want nothing about it, so that's why the ravens allow Lamar to listen the offers from the other teams.

If Lamar doesn't get a new contract this year, the Ravens could put the non-exclusive tag 2 more season after that, so I don't think Jackson is going to be able to afford to sit for 3 seasons and lose close to 150 million.It was a smart move by the ravens

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    He could pull a LeVeon and sit out the first 10 games, and then sign his franchise tender and come back after that so he gets credit for the season...........and then be a free agent again next year. I don't see him agreeing to play a whole season for the $32 million on his franchise tender.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The only thing you are forgetting is that this is such huge money and he's a quarterback. No quality quarterbacks are ever released. Never do they not get their money. They end up restructuring the deal by paying their remaining salary as a bonus to push the cap hit down the road. All this nonsense about him not getting his money is just that. He's going to get his money if he just signs a contract. He's standing in his own way at this point because he doesn't like the language of it. When they restructure, he is esentially getting the full value of the contract. It's the definition of guaranteed money, only you get it sooner.

Ask everyone that deals with quarterback contracts. He's costing himself money the longer he waits. He should have signed an extension 2 years ago. If he did, he would have already had that money in his pocket, and would now be negotiating another contract to continue his career at the current insane rate. All great quarterbacks get their money.

He should have hired an agent. He is literally hung up on phantom slights. He's going to start getting his money if he just signs a contract.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

According to Schefter, the 133 million guaranteed is only if he was cut after the 2022 season and it was not because of an injury.... If the Ravens would have made this decision, the dead cap would have been at 70 million , so no way he would have been cut.....Jackson was almost 100% sure to have 175 million guaranteed if he would have accepted this offer...The big problem is that Lamar wants more than the guaranteed contract from Watson and the ravens don't want nothing about it, so that's why the ravens allow Lamar to listen the offers from the other teams.

If Lamar doesn't get a new contract this year, the Ravens could put the non-exclusive tag 2 more season after that, so I don't think Jackson is going to be able to afford to sit for 3 seasons and lose close to 150 million.It was a smart move by the ravens
    Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    The only thing you are forgetting is that this is such huge money and he's a quarterback. No quality quarterbacks are ever released. Never do they not get their money. They end up restructuring the deal by paying their remaining salary as a bonus to push the cap hit down the road. All this nonsense about him not getting his money is just that. He's going to get his money if he just signs a contract. He's standing in his own way at this point because he doesn't like the language of it. When they restructure, he is esentially getting the full value of the contract. It's the definition of guaranteed money, only you get it sooner.

Ask everyone that deals with quarterback contracts. He's costing himself money the longer he waits. He should have signed an extension 2 years ago. If he did, he would have already had that money in his pocket, and would now be negotiating another contract to continue his career at the current insane rate. All great quarterbacks get their money.

He should have hired an agent. He is literally hung up on phantom slights. He's going to start getting his money if he just signs a contract.
    I am not saying that Jackson is going about this 100% right. But...But....it really is becoming very clear that Schefter and all the other TV and Twitter talking heads are carrying a TON of water for the owners here. They are even twisting and manipulating the message to paint Jackson in the worst light and the Ravens in the best. On multiple points over the past several weeks, these pundits have had to seriously walk their initial reports back because they are tiptoeing right up to the line of outright fabrication in order to advance a clear NFL agenda against guaranteed contracts.

While Jackson may be costing himself significant dollars with a stubborn insistence on what he perceives as his value, it also needs to be acknowledged that these "reporters" have been almost totally co-opted in an effort to get a single side of the negotiations out in the best possible light. It is extremely clear that most of these insiders rely on team and ownership sources for their "scoops" and have been told to stay on message or that pipeline gets shut off. For me, that is the biggest deficit that Jackson is facing not having an agent. He doesn't have a side "leaking" his version 24/7 and strong-arming people into Tweeting out their messaging by threatening to cut off access to the rest of the agencies client roster.

In terms of contracts not getting paid out...Wentz. RG3. And I am sure I am thinking of other examples that players were gotten rid of during their contracts for performance or injury related reasons. Practical guarantees are really nice and most likely do get paid out. But if I am continuing to play on team that designs an offense predicated on me running the ball...then I would also want a real guarantee that they can't walk away. You break it. You buy it.

I am not saying that Jackson is going about this 100% right. But...But....it really is becoming very clear that Schefter and all the other TV and Twitter talking heads are carrying a TON of water for the owners here. They are even twisting and manipulating the message to paint Jackson in the worst light and the Ravens in the best. On multiple points over the past several weeks, these pundits have had to seriously walk their initial reports back because they are tiptoeing right up to the line of outright fabrication in order to advance a clear NFL agenda against guaranteed contracts.

While Jackson may be costing himself significant dollars with a stubborn insistence on what he perceives as his value, it also needs to be acknowledged that these "reporters" have been almost totally co-opted in an effort to get a single side of the negotiations out in the best possible light. It is extremely clear that most of these insiders rely on team and ownership sources for their "scoops" and have been told to stay on message or that pipeline gets shut off. For me, that is the biggest deficit that Jackson is facing not having an agent. He doesn't have a side "leaking" his version 24/7 and strong-arming people into Tweeting out their messaging by threatening to cut off access to the rest of the agencies client roster.

In terms of contracts not getting paid out...Wentz. RG3. And I am sure I am thinking of other examples that players were gotten rid of during their contracts for performance or injury related reasons. Practical guarantees are really nice and most likely do get paid out. But if I am continuing to play on team that designs an offense predicated on me running the ball...then I would also want a real guarantee that they can't walk away. You break it. You buy it.
    RG3 never had a monster contract after his rookie deal and Wentz was cut after 4 years in his contract (who signed before the 2019 season) with 2 years left even though he was just awful since 2020.Wentz had 66 millions guaranteed at signing in this deal and he was able to have over 100 millions in his contract...for more details

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washingt...n-wentz-18950/

I am 100% sure that Lamar would have way more that 133 millions if he would accept the ravens offer.Jackson is a much better player that Wentz

This circus will maybe only ends in 2025.....

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

This whole thing begs the question: When is enough money, enough money? Is there not a human being on the planet that can't have a more than quality life with $100,000,000???

I know..... "I'm worth more than so and so". "If he got this $$$, I'm worth at least this $$$". After so many $$$ it really just doesn't matter anymore. Lamar..... take the millions you've been offered, play a few more years and then just enjoy your money and life. It won't matter what whoever got.... you can't spend it all anyway.... unless you're a f***ing fool!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    This whole thing begs the question: When is enough money, enough money? Is there not a human being on the planet that can't have a more than quality life with $100,000,000???

I know..... "I'm worth more than so and so". "If he got this $$$, I'm worth at least this $$$". After so many $$$ it really just doesn't matter anymore. Lamar..... take the millions you've been offered, play a few more years and then just enjoy your money and life. It won't matter what whoever got.... you can't spend it all anyway.... unless you're a f***ing fool!

And additionally, if you are a fool, you WILL spend it all, no matter how much you made. So if that's the case it really doesn't make a difference either!
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

One thing good about living in Texas is that I am no longer in the Baltimore area and getting bombarded by this ad nauseum day and night. Well, actually I still am as it’s on every news and sports feed, but I know it’s got to be non-stop back in Maryland.

At this stage I don’t know what to say. Now all this “Entire Gym” and Ken Francis nonsense it’s really starting to look like a circus. And judging from the HUGE response other franchises have shown thus far in wooing Jackson from the Ravens, it appears they see it as the farce it has become.

Oh well. Maybe at long last Cleveland truly got sweet revenge on Baltimore. The Watson contract may have doomed two AFLN teams.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I'm not a lawyer so I need this explained to me in simple words. The radio talking heads are saying the NFL owners are guilty of collusion when it comes to Lamar Jackson and that's why he has received no offers. My question is.....when a player sits either with an injury, or to protect his money, that's just business. But if owners are shy to offer guarantees due to injury history, or to protect their money, it becomes collusion, and this is unjust. How is this not the same thing? How is the player not guilty of the same as the owner, or how is the owner not just as justified in his concerns as the player? I'm just ignorant and need clarification on this. Please.

Lamar Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I'm not a lawyer so I need this explained to me in simple words. The radio talking heads are saying the NFL owners are guilty of collusion when it comes to Lamar Jackson and that's why he has received no offers. My question is.....when a player sits either with an injury, or to protect his money, that's just business. But if owners are shy to offer guarantees due to injury history, or to protect their money, it becomes collusion, and this is unjust. How is this not the same thing? How is the player not guilty of the same as the owner, or how is the owner not just as justified in his concerns as the player? I'm just ignorant and need clarification on this. Please.
    I think but don’t know that collusion would mean all the owners are engaged in planned and coordinated effort to either do a specific thing or not do some other specific thing. The assumption is that in absence of this “secret” coordination, said thing would normally happen. Again I’m not entirely sure of all the details.

What I do know is that collusion is almost impossible to prove. I mean unless the owners are dumb enough to put their plan into writing; how would anyone prove anything?

Personally, I believe the owners are loosely cooperating in all this. Meaning that if Jackson wasn’t wanting guaranteed contract status, I find it totally unbelievable that no one would offer two first round picks for him to solve their QB issue. But, he is and no owner is willing to open that door any further than the Browns already have.

From my dum-dum understanding, that might be sketchy but not illegal. Since there isn’t a specific agreement in place. But what I don’t know is does an actual meeting in a smoke filled back room need to take place for it to be collusion or since guaranteed contracts exist (Cousins, Watson) if the owners just refuse to give another one out…where does that fall? Seems analogous to price fixing which is super illegal. But I’m just as in the dark.

I do suspect there is the crime of collusion and then people just throwing the word about for lack of a better term.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Collusion, in this instance, simply means that the other 31 owners are not as stupid as the Browns owner.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think but don’t know that collusion would mean all the owners are engaged in planned and coordinated effort to either do a specific thing or not do some other specific thing. The assumption is that in absence of this “secret” coordination, said thing would normally happen. Again I’m not entirely sure of all the details.

What I do know is that collusion is almost impossible to prove. I mean unless the owners are dumb enough to put their plan into writing; how would anyone prove anything?

Personally, I believe the owners are loosely cooperating in all this. Meaning that if Jackson wasn’t wanting guaranteed contract status, I find it totally unbelievable that no one would offer two first round picks for him to solve their QB issue. But, he is and no owner is willing to open that door any further than the Browns already have.

From my dum-dum understanding, that might be sketchy but not illegal. Since there isn’t a specific agreement in place. But what I don’t know is does an actual meeting in a smoke filled back room need to take place for it to be collusion or since guaranteed contracts exist (Cousins, Watson) if the owners just refuse to give another one out…where does that fall? Seems analogous to price fixing which is super illegal. But I’m just as in the dark.

I do suspect there is the crime of collusion and then people just throwing the word about for lack of a better term.
    I think it is just as likely 32 teams' FO, coaches, and owners don't want to 'guarantee what LJ is asking' simply because he finished the last 2 seasons on IR. Twice he let the team down at the end of the season by not playing in meaningful games. Players like Ben, Mahomes, Hurts, even Josh Allen and Dak Prescott played with injuries. Has Lamar had some offseason knee surgery since last season ended? He's sounding more and more like a player only interested in self, not team. Those type players do not get big guarantees whatever their skill level. Even QBs apparently.

That is how I have seen this situation unfold anyway. I may be very wrong and the 32 owners have all agreed "in some smokey room" to not hand out $200M guarantees anymore. And that is the ONLY thing keeping LJ from getting the contract he wants. I guess they could just simply write that into the next CBA contract instead.

Watson($230M) got the contract. Murray($160M) got a similar contract. Josh Allen got $150M guaranteed. Mahomes got $141M guaranteed. Dak got $126M guaranteed. Lamar wants more than these guys plus 100% guaranteed. I honestly don't think it takes collusion for 32 owners to say no. I think these contracts also prove it's not a matter of racism by white owners as well, which I have also heard insinuated on national radio shows. As talented as Lamar may be, he needs to play football and the rest will take care of itself in time.

Adding in playoff stats....https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/lam...-playoff-stats

I think it is just as likely 32 teams' FO, coaches, and owners don't want to 'guarantee what LJ is asking' simply because he finished the last 2 seasons on IR. Twice he let the team down at the end of the season by not playing in meaningful games. Players like Ben, Mahomes, Hurts, even Josh Allen and Dak Prescott played with injuries. Has Lamar had some offseason knee surgery since last season ended? He's sounding more and more like a player only interested in self, not team. Those type players do not get big guarantees whatever their skill level. Even QBs apparently.

That is how I have seen this situation unfold anyway. I may be very wrong and the 32 owners have all agreed "in some smokey room" to not hand out $200M guarantees anymore. And that is the ONLY thing keeping LJ from getting the contract he wants. I guess they could just simply write that into the next CBA contract instead.

Watson($230M) got the contract. Murray($160M) got a similar contract. Josh Allen got $150M guaranteed. Mahomes got $141M guaranteed. Dak got $126M guaranteed. Lamar wants more than these guys plus 100% guaranteed. I honestly don't think it takes collusion for 32 owners to say no. I think these contracts also prove it's not a matter of racism by white owners as well, which I have also heard insinuated on national radio shows. As talented as Lamar may be, he needs to play football and the rest will take care of itself in time.

Adding in playoff stats....https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/lam...-playoff-stats
    That is a reasonable point and I have no way of knowing that it isn't exactly the truth.

For me, I have a hard time reconciling a few things:
    1. Owners give press conferences and interviews all the time about how winning is the only thing that matters.
    2. The owners never (ok, maybe not never, but really rarely) share the same opinion on any topic.
    3. QB is the hardest position to fill in the entire sport - maybe in all of sports.

I look around the league and see Jackson make the Ravens a borderline SB contender and then they are a sub .500 team without him. That is a ton of bang for your buck if all you want to do is win. I really have a hard time believing that without a concerted effort and tacit agreement among owners to hold the line against any and all guaranteed contracts, that this dude would be so unsingable. I mean Cleveland was so desperate that they were willing to fully guarantee a deal for a guy with some red flags. The Vikings went to full guarantees for Kirk Cousins - a QB who their own actions indicate they know to be limited.

Combine that with the consistent "leaking" of "insider news" that paints Jackson in a less than positive light, and I feel it is pretty clear that the owners are willing to do whatever it takes to ensure that no more guaranteed contracts get handed out. Is that rising to the level (whatever that legal bar is) of collusion? I have no idea nor will I profess that I do. I suspect this isn't a collectively coordinated thing, just a general sense that there is a consensus to not do this.

NFL teams were willing to take pretty big gambles on Malik Willis and Trey Lance. The best case scenario for both of those guys is that they become Lamar Jackson. Some team is going to take Anthony Richardson in a month in the hopes that he becomes some version of Lamar Jackson. There are several lesser known QBs floating around the NFL where that was their best case scenario as well. Many cost resources in draft picks and or cap dollars and certainly roster spaces.

Meanwhile, a mid 20's league MVP is just out there for taking and I am supposed to believe it is because of injury concerns? I don't buy it. Not at all.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Lamar Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Collusion, in this instance, simply means that the other 31 owners are not as stupid as the Browns owner.
    The owners also need to be VERY careful here…more so than the Browns. Right now, that Watson contract is an outlier…if another owner throws a “Watson-type” contract out there, then there’s a pattern for that type of contract and the second guy, IMO, is more at fault than the Browns. The Browns, right now, are just idiots…but if another team jumps onboard with those type of deals, then it’s a potential problem. I think being cautious here more so than colluding.

Jackson wants a contract that only 1/32 was willing to offer. Owners AND players should be happy that other teams are not dolling out that kind of cash and contracts because their positional salaries are going to take a hit…just ask the RBs. CMC may be the last of his kind to get the deal he received…and that’s before another team offers a QB a fully guaranteed deal…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

That is a reasonable point and I have no way of knowing that it isn't exactly the truth.

For me, I have a hard time reconciling a few things:
    1. Owners give press conferences and interviews all the time about how winning is the only thing that matters.
    2. The owners never (ok, maybe not never, but really rarely) share the same opinion on any topic.
    3. QB is the hardest position to fill in the entire sport - maybe in all of sports.

I look around the league and see Jackson make the Ravens a borderline SB contender and then they are a sub .500 team without him. That is a ton of bang for your buck if all you want to do is win. I really have a hard time believing that without a concerted effort and tacit agreement among owners to hold the line against any and all guaranteed contracts, that this dude would be so unsingable. I mean Cleveland was so desperate that they were willing to fully guarantee a deal for a guy with some red flags. The Vikings went to full guarantees for Kirk Cousins - a QB who their own actions indicate they know to be limited.

Combine that with the consistent "leaking" of "insider news" that paints Jackson in a less than positive light, and I feel it is pretty clear that the owners are willing to do whatever it takes to ensure that no more guaranteed contracts get handed out. Is that rising to the level (whatever that legal bar is) of collusion? I have no idea nor will I profess that I do. I suspect this isn't a collectively coordinated thing, just a general sense that there is a consensus to not do this.

NFL teams were willing to take pretty big gambles on Malik Willis and Trey Lance. The best case scenario for both of those guys is that they become Lamar Jackson. Some team is going to take Anthony Richardson in a month in the hopes that he becomes some version of Lamar Jackson. There are several lesser known QBs floating around the NFL where that was their best case scenario as well. Many cost resources in draft picks and or cap dollars and certainly roster spaces.

Meanwhile, a mid 20's league MVP is just out there for taking and I am supposed to believe it is because of injury concerns? I don't buy it. Not at all.
    All that may also be true....I honestly think this is a case of on-field production does not warrant the asking price. Above and beyond all the ramifications of a 2nd 'Watson' type contract. I bet if Mahomes held out, he would get whatever he asked for. LJ hasn't earned his yet. I don't think Watson earned his either but that's a different thread altogether.

- - - Updated - - -

You wanna know why what the Browns did with Watson was unprecedented? Because it's stupid.

All that may also be true....I honestly think this is a case of on-field production does not warrant the asking price. Above and beyond all the ramifications of a 2nd 'Watson' type contract. I bet if Mahomes held out, he would get whatever he asked for. LJ hasn't earned his yet. I don't think Watson earned his either but that's a different thread altogether.

- - - Updated - - -

You wanna know why what the Browns did with Watson was unprecedented? Because it's stupid.
    I know that you and I see this issue very differently, and that is more than fine. I think that Jackson's on field results do warrant the asking price.

Why? This contract: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesot...-cousins-9915/

If I can work through all the details right, over a series of non franchise tag contracts, the Vikings have quietly give Kirk Cousins $185 million guaranteed cash over about 6 years. I think Jackson is worth roughly 11 million per season more than Cousins. That takes it to a roughly $250 million figure over 6 years.

For me, I think Jackson is making a reasonable ask based on both the Cousins contract and the Watson contract. It is also an ask that he is never going to get. I originally thought that at least one deep pocketed owner would be like "YOLO!" I am solving my franchise QB problem right the heck now. I figured that Tepper or Irsay would have done it by now. I clearly underestimated the owners' willingness to guarantee contracts.

I know that you and I see this issue very differently, and that is more than fine. I think that Jackson's on field results do warrant the asking price.

If I can work through all the details right, over a series of non franchise tag contracts, the Vikings have quietly give Kirk Cousins $185 million guaranteed cash over about 6 years. I think Jackson is worth roughly 11 million per season more than Cousins. That takes it to a roughly $250 million figure over 6 years.

For me, I think Jackson is making a reasonable ask based on both the Cousins contract and the Watson contract. It is also an ask that he is never going to get. I originally thought that at least one deep pocketed owner would be like "YOLO!" I am solving my franchise QB problem right the heck now. I figured that Tepper or Irsay would have done it by now. I clearly underestimated the owners' willingness to guarantee contracts.
    And that is exactly my point. Other QBs have gotten guarantees. So, why not LJ? It has to be because he hasn't finished out the last 2 seasons even when his team had very meaningful games to play. He sat out due to injury while other guys do not sit out. Those guys are getting big guarantees. Who sits out a playoff game? Think back through history and list the QBs that sat out playoff games, or games that determine if you make the playoffs or not, and are considered NFL greats today.
    Also, I think LJ could have played but sat anyway. That is not a quality of a franchise player at any position.

- - - Updated - - -

The Cousins' contract only guarantees $35M. Am I reading that wrong?

When we saw a QB like Mahomes winning a super bowl on one leg and Lamar didn't even try to return at the end of the season and for the playoffs game, it's a huge red flag for me

Only the Browns were willing to give Watson a fully guaranteed contract since the Browns were very desperate.The ravens have offer a huge contract to Lamar but he has rejected it.He need a agent big time or it will be too late

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

When we saw a QB like Mahomes winning a super bowl on one leg and Lamar didn't even try to return at the end of the season and for the playoffs game, it's a huge red flag for me

Only the Browns were willing to give Watson a fully guaranteed contract since the Browns were very desperate.The ravens have offer a huge contract to Lamar but he has rejected it.He need a agent big time or it will be too late
    He doesn't need an agent. He needs an attitude adjustment.

Interestingly, Lamar and Cousins have the exact same playoff record at 1-3.

And that is exactly my point. Other QBs have gotten guarantees. So, why not LJ? It has to be because he hasn't finished out the last 2 seasons even when his team had very meaningful games to play. He sat out due to injury while other guys do not sit out. Those guys are getting big guarantees. Who sits out a playoff game? Think back through history and list the QBs that sat out playoff games, or games that determine if you make the playoffs or not, and are considered NFL greats today.
    Also, I think LJ could have played but sat anyway. That is not a quality of a franchise player at any position.

- - - Updated - - -

The Cousins' contract only guarantees $35M. Am I reading that wrong?
    I think that if you look at the previous contracts, they were all guaranteed. But I am not sure I am doing all the contract math properly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Interestingly, Lamar and Cousins have the exact same playoff record at 1-3.
    If you were facing starting an unproven rookie or a journeyman back-up at the position, would you rather have Jackson or Cousins?