Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lamar Jackson

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Lamar Jackson

Today is his deadline for a new contract. Will he get one or will it be next year or later (with the Ravens or another team)?

Lamar has no agent, so it will be interesting to follow, I think he needs an agent!

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: Lamar Jackson

I hope he gets a 10 year deal. He's just not a good QB and I would love nothing more than them to be stuck with him for that long.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    I hope he gets a 10 year deal. He's just not a good QB and I would love nothing more than them to be stuck with him for that long.
    Same.

If the Ravens are smart, they ride this out and then tag him for however long they can…lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I too hope he locks in for many years for too much money. Running backs have short careers in this league and this would really cripple the ratbirds for years.

Apparently Lamar wants a full guaranteed contract like Deshaun Watson, which is why it's complicated right now.

If the Ravens offer over 150 million guaranteed, he should accept it even if the contract is not fully guaranteed after that....But Jackson has no agent....

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

I was hoping they gave him that huge contract, damn. They aren't the Browns after all I'll give them that

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    If he spends another extended period of time on the sidelines due to injury, OR his ability to hit wide open receivers in clutch moments has not improved drastically, Lamar Jackson may become a UFA at the end of the 2022 campaign.

Or that's how I read it at least.

This is not the draft season you want to enter with question marks as a franchise QB.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Not the brightest move to set a self-imposed deadline. Odds are his value goes down by the end of the season, not up.

"Let's get more tape of me being a sloppy QB who chucks the ball all over the place, that'll impress everyone."
    See you Space Cowboy ...

He is underrated by many steelers fans because of his unique style....

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

He is underrated by many steelers fans because of his unique style....
    Maybe. If he had to play and rely solely on his passing ability, is he a starter or a backup?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Maybe. If he had to play and rely solely on his passing ability, is he a starter or a backup?
    We can't take away his biggest strength, it's not fair... Btw, Lamar has led the NFL in TD pass in 2019,a 99.3 passing rating the year after so he's not a poor passer.He is also 37-12 in his career(The ravens were a .500 team between 2013 and the moment he become a starter in mid season in 2018)

He is not perfect and he should accept the contract of the ravens if the offer were at least at 150 millions guarenteed,but unless he has a complete meltdown or a career ending injuries,no way he will not have the franchise tag.If he is not a ravens in 2023,it will be by trade

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

He’s a choker in the playoffs, please pay him lol

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    He’s a choker in the playoffs, please pay him lol
    The reputation can be changed if he has a huge playoff run

The reputation can be changed if he has a huge playoff run
    I'm not bullish on that

We can't take away his biggest strength, it's not fair... Btw, Lamar has led the NFL in TD pass in 2019,a 99.3 passing rating the year after so he's not a poor passer.He is also 37-12 in his career(The ravens were a .500 team between 2013 and the moment he become a starter in mid season in 2018)

He is not perfect and he should accept the contract of the ravens if the offer were at least at 150 millions guarenteed,but unless he has a complete meltdown or a career ending injuries,no way he will not have the franchise tag.If he is not a ravens in 2023,it will be by trade
    The answer is Lamar Jackson is not a starting franchise QB if he has to rely only on his skills as a passer. You can also simply take Mark Andrews away and watch his stats drop dramatically. The Ravens are a run first offense. They are going to look phenomenal this season with their corps of RBs back and healthy, and a last place schedule. No doubt in my mind that some team will buy the hype and sign Lamar to some overly huge contract next off season.

If Lamar Jackson were being used as an offensive weapon that lined up everywhere, with a Josh Allen/Russell Wilson level QB, he would probably be the most dangerous man on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The answer is Lamar Jackson is not a starting franchise QB if he has to rely only on his skills as a passer. You can also simply take Mark Andrews away and watch his stats drop dramatically. The Ravens are a run first offense. They are going to look phenomenal this season with their corps of RBs back and healthy, and a last place schedule. No doubt in my mind that some team will buy the hype and sign Lamar to some overly huge contract next off season.

If Lamar Jackson were being used as an offensive weapon that lined up everywhere, with a Josh Allen/Russell Wilson level QB, he would probably be the most dangerous man on the field.
    He's 37-12 with an MVP and his team scores 29 points per game as starter(only Patrick Mahomes is higher) and his team have around 200 rushing yards per game during this time and his legs are the reason the ravens offense are that good when he is the starter

Don't forget the ravens were also in the first seed or close to that last year before his injury and that's despite the ravens being completely depleted by injuries

I can't believe he has to change positions?!....Aside from more playoff success, that can change very quickly, what more do you want from Lamar???...

That the Ravens are wasting his talent on Jackson being only a pocket passer even though his legs are such an asset for the Ravens since opposing defenses still have to play 11 vs 11?

He's 37-12 with an MVP and his team scores 29 points per game as starter(only Patrick Mahomes is higher) and his team have around 200 rushing yards per game during this time and his legs are the reason the ravens offense are that good when he is the starter

Don't forget the ravens were also in the first seed or close to that last year before his injury and that's despite the ravens being completely depleted by injuries

I can't believe he has to change positions?!....Aside from more playoff success, that can change very quickly, what more do you want from Lamar???...

That the Ravens are wasting his talent on Jackson being only a pocket passer even though his legs are such an asset for the Ravens since opposing defenses still have to play 11 vs 11?
    I don't think you even understand my point. I understand he's maybe the greatest runner in the game today. That has nothing to do with anything I am saying.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Lamar is unique. He is superb running the football as A- a designed rush; and B- avoiding a sack and breaking off a run. Anyone who questions that has not truly watched the man play. It’s not an opinion. It’s fact. His W-L record also speaks for itself. Once again, it’s not opinion, it’s fact.

Passing? He’s had two perfect passer rated games in a season. Only one other QB has accomplished that (you should know who the other QB is). Watch him play. He can throw the ball.

Is he worth over $250M guaranteed? That’s the question. The Watson contract is an outlier (and 100% foolishness), but it’s there. Jackson’s biggest mistake IMO is that he is his own agent. It is very hard to negotiate directly with a superstar.

The last quarterback in Ravens history who played out the last year of his contract was Joe Flacco. He ended the season as the SB MVP and became the highest paid player in the NFL. It appears that is Jackson’s mindset. Play out 2022 and see where it leads. How it ends is anyone’s guess. He may be the SB MVP. He may get walloped and end up with a season (or career)-ending injury. It looks like he’s willing to roll the dice.

Regardless what happens in 2022, he has proven that he is a winner. I really don’t know what the hell anyone else really needs to see to realize he’s a great QB.

Just go back to the first Ravens/Steelers game last season. Andrews is wide open on a shallow cross. If he catches the ball he scores easily for the win. Lamar misses him, bad throw, clutch time. That would be one thing I need to see him do. After watching QBs like Ben, Brady, Manning(2), Rodgers, Brees, Elway, Montana, Aikman, Young, Marino, plus some guys not listed be clutch so many times, that guys who can't do that, to me, simply don't cut it. It's not even a discussion for me. What Lamar can do with his feet is nothing short of spectacular. Maybe the best of all time if you guys want. But as a total QB that I would trust with the future of a franchise....nope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfdrSkgQAx8
    Outside of the Steelers in 'prevent' what big throws does he make? A lot of throw short/run long, which is what these Steelers fans on this forum complain about the loudest about our offense.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

I actually think Huntley is the better QB.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    Lamar is unique. He is superb running the football as A- a designed rush; and B- avoiding a sack and breaking off a run. Anyone who questions that has not truly watched the man play. It’s not an opinion. It’s fact. His W-L record also speaks for itself. Once again, it’s not opinion, it’s fact.

Passing? He’s had two perfect passer rated games in a season. Only one other QB has accomplished that (you should know who the other QB is). Watch him play. He can throw the ball.

Is he worth over $250M guaranteed? That’s the question. The Watson contract is an outlier (and 100% foolishness), but it’s there. Jackson’s biggest mistake IMO is that he is his own agent. It is very hard to negotiate directly with a superstar.

The last quarterback in Ravens history who played out the last year of his contract was Joe Flacco. He ended the season as the SB MVP and became the highest paid player in the NFL. It appears that is Jackson’s mindset. Play out 2022 and see where it leads. How it ends is anyone’s guess. He may be the SB MVP. He may get walloped and end up with a season (or career)-ending injury. It looks like he’s willing to roll the dice.

Regardless what happens in 2022, he has proven that he is a winner. I really don’t know what the hell anyone else really needs to see to realize he’s a great QB.
    He's a great running back. RBs have short careers in this league. If you're fooling yourself into thinking he's a great quarterback that's just your heart bleeding purple. I hope he resigns with the Ravens because he's never done much against the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

lamer jackson is 1-3 in the playoffs. that is not an opinion, that is a fact
    lamar was absolutely horrible in the 3 playoff loses. that is not an opinion, that is a fact and arguably he was the biggest factor to the loses.
    he was sacked 19 times in those 4 playoff games. that is not an opinion, that is a fact.

i hope his ransome demand is huge and i hope the ravens pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    I actually think Huntley is the better QB.
    C'mon

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    lamar was absolutely horrible in the 3 playoff loses. that is not an opinion, that is a fact and arguably he was the biggest factor to the loses.
    he was sacked 19 times in those 4 playoff games. that is not an opinion, that is a fact.

True he was horrible but the past don't always guaranteed the future

Lamar don't need to be the best passer to be successful, just be fine and the rest will take care of itself for him and he is for the most part fine

He's just unique, but some acted like he'd be bad like Tim Tebow as a passer....The disrespect on him is unbelievable.Huntley is a better QB?!..Crazy

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Lamar’s bargaining tactics were all wrong. Everyone knows that if you want a big, guaranteed contract, you need to rape a few dozen women.

IF the Ravens thought Lamar Jackson were indeed a great QB, he would have his contract. That’s just easy math.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post

Unfortunately Lamar plays under Greg Roman. Two areas the Ravens always seem to have issues with is drafting wide receivers…and offensive coordinators. Roman’s lack of changing game strategy when needed (see first playoff game against the Chargers) is more of a hindrance to Jackson than Jackson is to himself.

With Andrews and Likely in a two TE set, I think Lamar is going to feast this season. When Kolar returns that will be three TE’s in the mix for passing opportunities (remains to be seen if Boyle can block as well as prior to his injury). If Jackson has two great TE’s, Dobbins and eventually Williams in the backfield (and if Drake can produce), and Stanley makes it back to his Pro Bowl-level play at LT, I think Lamar is going to prove some doubters wrong in 2022.

If I’m wrong, I’ll freely admit my error in January.

Unfortunately Lamar plays under Greg Roman. Two areas the Ravens always seem to have issues with is drafting wide receivers…and offensive coordinators. Roman’s lack of changing game strategy when needed (see first playoff game against the Chargers) is more of a hindrance to Jackson than Jackson is to himself.

With Andrews and Likely in a two TE set, I think Lamar is going to feast this season. When Kolar returns that will be three TE’s in the mix for passing opportunities (remains to be seen if Boyle can block as well as prior to his injury). If Jackson has two great TE’s, Dobbins and eventually Williams in the backfield (and if Drake can produce), and Stanley makes it back to his Pro Bowl-level play at LT, I think Lamar is going to prove some doubters wrong in 2022.

If I’m wrong, I’ll freely admit my error in January.
    I think you are right that the Ravens will feast this season. They get a lot of talent back they didn't have last season plus a last place schedule. That run game should be devastating. I put that in your AFCN thread. I take nothing away from the talent level, the coaches, the franchise as a whole. I'm not saying the Ravens aren't good and won't be a tough team to play against. The elephant in the room is simply, the Ravens didn't get the contract done with Lamar. If they truly wanted to lock him down it would have got done.

The knock on both Brady and Manning was always that they were immobile, for the most part. But the difference is they could utilize all of their weapons in any area of the field at any time. Put Brees in that same category. If Lamar had that type of arm talent AND his athletic ability, that contract would have been done last year. While he was on IR. Yet here we sit with no contract.

QBs like Mahomes, Allen, Watson, Murray, Wilson, and even Herbert to some extent are a threat to tuck it and run for a big gain at any point in the game as well. When you watch those QBs though you see the difference in what they bring vs what Lamar brings at the QB position. Again, I think Lamar is talented at what he does, I just don't think he brings enough to 'cripple' the franchise in guaranteed money. And I think the Ravens are smart enough to see that.