Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2022 Schedule Revisited

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

2022 Schedule Revisited

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Pickett went behind the same line Mitch did and wasn't sacked once. He went behind grocery baggers and got it done. Pressure is a part of playing Quarterback in the NFL. The great ones makes the others around them better, the mediocre ones need everything around them to work to succeed. So the Steelers need to endure a mediocre season because its just "too dangerous" to start a guy that has been clearly outplaying the other. If that's the case the coaches definitely need to seek out a new line of work.
    Was it the same defensive personnel? Also Green was rotated out at times. Was he in there? How many times did Trubisky get sacked? Rudolph? Is that really an argument at this stage? Lol.

As for a mediocre season…that will happen no matter who the QB is. As for who is starting, I’ve said many a times that I want to see Pickett start. If you read what Inwrote, you’d see that I said it wouldn’t be surprising if Tomlin threw a different QB out there until there was some stability on the O-Line. It’s not like successful QBs haven’t sat for a half year to year or even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: 2022 Schedule Revisited

The number of potential franchise quarterbacks who suffered career-ending injuries as rookies because their offensive line sucked is a pretty short one. In fact, it's so short I don't even think there's anybody on it.

If I was a pro athlete trying to make a name for myself, and I kicked ass and won the starting job but the coach told me sorry man, you can't go out there because your teammates suck too bad, sit on the bench instead - I'd be pissed. If I was on the offensive line, I'd be pissed. If I was the QB competition loser being trotted out there as a meat shield, I'd be pissed. If I was one of the other players trying to win games, I'd be pissed. Pretty soon we'd all be saying, why am I wasting an entire year of my career playing for the dickless coach of this dickless organization that's more caught up in draft picks and contract bullshit than trying to win. I signed here because I thought it was going to be a good place to (win games/become a star/prove myself for a big contract/play an important role, circle one), but instead it's all bullshit, fuck this, I'm going to Jacksonville.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

2022 Schedule Revisited

Seems to have worked out well for Joe Burrow. Some coaches may not be willing to take that chance.

Maybe not so much for Zach Wilson…

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Far better and more highly touted QB prospects than KP have been ruined playing behind crap offensive lines.

Andrew Luck
    The older Carr brother
    Sam Darnold - who might’ve stunk anyways but that Jets oline didn’t help!

One of the biggest knocks on KP at Pitt was that he was skittish in the pocket and bailed on plays early. Many attributed this to playing behind crap lines early in his tenure.

I’m strongly in the camp of play KP from minute 1. So I’m all for throwing him out there and hoping for the best.

But I can totally see the rationale for not doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

I’m strongly in the camp of play KP from minute 1. So I’m all for throwing him out there and hoping for the best.

Basically what I am saying. You put it much better and much more coherent…lol.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Basically what I am saying. You put it much better and much more coherent…lol.
    I should’ve just said I agree with you and moved on. But that’s not my style. Why use 10 words when you can use a few hundred?!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Far better and more highly touted QB prospects than KP have been ruined playing behind crap offensive lines.

Andrew Luck
    The older Carr brother
    Sam Darnold - who might’ve stunk anyways but that Jets oline didn’t help!

One of the biggest knocks on KP at Pitt was that he was skittish in the pocket and bailed on plays early. Many attributed this to playing behind crap lines early in his tenure.

Do you really think those guys were "ruined" by having a poor offensive line as rookies?

David Carr is one of the most famous examples people use, but he played 10 years and never missed any significant time from injury. His problem always seemed more like he was another victim of high expectations - he just was a mediocre pro player and that was kind of that, but people wanted to blame it on something else.

Luck is an example of what can happen if you play your WHOLE career behind a terrible offensive line. If they'd sat him until the line was in decent shape, he never would've taken a snap. They basically failed to get their shit together on an unprecedented level that shouldn't realistically be expected to repeat itself. And Luck was still a good QB in the meantime despite all that.

Most of the time people talk about this, it basically boils down to the David Carr argument - that a quarterback is going to be so scarred for life by being tackled 50 times in a season instead of 30 times that he'll never be the same, he'll just be too terrified. But like fuck that, a running back can get tackled 30 times in a single game. If you're such a pussy that you're psychologically ruined by getting tackled too much, you probably were not going to be a very good pro football player.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Do you really think those guys were "ruined" by having a poor offensive line as rookies?

David Carr is one of the most famous examples people use, but he played 10 years and never missed any significant time from injury. His problem always seemed more like he was another victim of high expectations - he just was a mediocre pro player and that was kind of that, but people wanted to blame it on something else.

Luck is an example of what can happen if you play your WHOLE career behind a terrible offensive line. If they'd sat him until the line was in decent shape, he never would've taken a snap. They basically failed to get their shit together on an unprecedented level that shouldn't realistically be expected to repeat itself. And Luck was still a good QB in the meantime despite all that.

Most of the time people talk about this, it basically boils down to the David Carr argument - that a quarterback is going to be so scarred for life by being tackled 50 times in a season instead of 30 times that he'll never be the same, he'll just be too terrified. But like fuck that, a running back can get tackled 30 times in a single game. If you're such a pussy that you're psychologically ruined by getting tackled too much, you probably were not going to be a very good pro football player.
    Yes. It’s not the hits. That’s just a red herring. It’s setting the clock in your head to the wrong zero point.

Carr and Darnold both reached points where they were trying to throw as soon as they hit the top of their drop. No use of progressions or resetting feet.

Bad o lines can ruin a QBs development in the pro game. Especially when coupled with terrible coaching.

Tannehill is a less extreme example. Stafford is a high end case. He succeeded but look what he did with actual protection last year.

Rarely do individual QBs bust. That takes Leaf or Russell levels of nonsense. Team environment breaks QBs.

Yes. It’s not the hits. That’s just a red herring. It’s setting the clock in your head to the wrong zero point.

Carr and Darnold both reached points where they were trying to throw as soon as they hit the top of their drop. No use of progressions or resetting feet.

Bad o lines can ruin a QBs development in the pro game. Especially when coupled with terrible coaching.

Tannehill is a less extreme example. Stafford is a high end case. He succeeded but look what he did with actual protection last year.

Rarely do individual QBs bust. That takes Leaf or Russell levels of nonsense. Team environment breaks QBs.
    And I guess the counter to that is that if Carr or Darnold really were any good, they wouldn't have been affected by it as much. There's probably no way of proving anything, because it's all a game of what-ifs. It's impossible to say with any certainty, "this sucky ass player definitely would've been a star, if only ..."

More than anything, whatever is decided will be a reflection on Tomlin's mentality. I've always thought he was a guy not afraid to take a shot if it made sense, so hopefully that bears out. He's never been in this particular situation, though.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The o-line of the steelers could be awful but the rest of the team and offense is just fine at least.So this is not bad like the expension texans or the jets in the last few years when their team were bad in almost every position and they had a bad or below average head coach.

Despite the o-line,the steelers situation is a good one,so if pickett has the potentiel to be a good one,no way he will be ruined by the steelers.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Remember last season week1 at the AFC favorites Bills. Most thought we had no shot yet we left Buffalo with a 'W'. I'm not predicting anything here but....maybe you 'BooBirds' can keep it to yourselves at least until the 4th qtr this year? At least through halftime?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Remember last season week1 at the AFC favorites Bills. Most thought we had no shot yet we left Buffalo with a 'W'. I'm not predicting anything here but....maybe you 'BooBirds' can keep it to yourselves at least until the 4th qtr this year? At least through halftime?
    Stay away from the Gameday thread LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    But for the offense,it was the story of the season.Awful for the first 3 quarter and better in the fourth quarter.The defense kept the game close in this game

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Stay away from the Gameday thread LOL
    So you're thinking the 'season's over' crying starts at play#1 again this year. That's probably accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    But for the offense,it was the story of the season.Awful for the first 3 quarter and better in the fourth quarter.The defense kept the game close in this game
    I know, I saw that game. I saw the 'awful' Steelers go in there and come out with a win. Big underdogs going in and the crying was even more awful. Embarrassing really.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

My predictions: 9-8, no playoffs, offensive line a MESS but hey Tomlin has still never had a losing season!

Week #01: Steelers @ Cincinnati Bengals - Loss
    Week #02: Steelers vs New England Patriots - WIN
    Week #03: Steelers @ Cleveland Browns - Loss
    Week #04: Steelers vs NY Jets - WIN
    Week #05: Steelers @ Buffalo Bills - Loss
    Week #06: Steelers vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Loss
    Week #07: Steelers @ Miami Dolphins - WIN [Pickett takes over]
    Week #08: Steelers @ Philadelphia Eagles - Loss
    Week #09: BYE
    Week #10: Steelers vs New Orleans Saints - WIN
    Week #11: Steelers vs Cincinnati Bengals - WIN
    Week #12: Steelers @ Indianapolis Colts - Loss
    Week #13: Steelers @ Atlanta Falcons -WIN
    Week #14: Steelers vs Baltimore Ravens - WIN
    Week #15: Steelers @ Carolina Panthers - WIN
    Week #16: Steelers vs Las Vegas Raiders - Loss
    Week #17: Steelers @ Baltimore Ravens - Loss
    Week #18: Steelers vs Cleveland Browns - WIN

I had predicted 10-7, a bit too optimistic but not that far off.Of course Watt's injury had a big impact on our defense and I underestimated how bad Canada was!

I need a tie with the Browns to be right…lol

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

I dunno, I think you’re sipping something stronger than kool aid

Bottom 5 o line
    Bottom 10 Qb
    Bottom 15 ILB
    AND one of the worst run defenses in the NFL until proven otherwise.

That’s a lot to look past for me to see double digit wins.
    Watt doesn’t get injured and they may have exceeded the kool-aid 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    Watt doesn’t get injured and they may have exceeded the kool-aid 
    Yup.

I did not see the O line coming together - at all. I also had no confidence that they would "fix" the run defense. I really thought it would be bottom tier again.

Oh well. Plenty of time to make some more crappy predictions before next season!

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    My predictions: 9-8, no playoffs, offensive line a MESS but hey Tomlin has still never had a losing season!

What a prediction
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

if they can figure out how to block this team will go as far as the QB is able to take them ... tons of talent at the skill pos. combined with a potentially great defense ...

could be anywhere between 9 - 8 to 13 -4
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

LOL, until Dwinsgames pointed it out I totally forgot about this

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Yup.

I did not see the O line coming together - at all. I also had no confidence that they would "fix" the run defense. I really thought it would be bottom tier again.

Oh well. Plenty of time to make some more crappy predictions before next season!
    Really need to hit ILB. Last draft season I was big on Chad Muma who wound up not really doing much this year for the Jaguars.

I'm currently thinking Round 1 has to be OL though. If Paris Johnson falls into your lap, you go ahead and get the elite LT. If not, you get set at guard for the next decade. As much as I want a sexy pick like Porter or Addison...

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    Really need to hit ILB. Last draft season I was big on Chad Muma who wound up not really doing much this year for the Jaguars.

I'm currently thinking Round 1 has to be OL though. If Paris Johnson falls into your lap, you go ahead and get the elite LT. If not, you get set at guard for the next decade. As much as I want a sexy pick like Porter or Addison...
    They can not keep putting ILB together with duct tape and bailing wire. But I also would like to cast the entire left side of the offensive line into the sun. Someone smarter than me should weigh in on if Dan Moore could make a position switch to LG. Because then you could take a LT (assuming one is available), move Moore to LG and send Dotson to the bench as feisty back-up. He will likely hold someone and end up 40 yards downfield on his way there though...

I suspect a LT may not fall to them in the first round....my eyeball twitches when I think about taking another ILB in the first round....so that leaves me with CB or the DL.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

They can not keep putting ILB together with duct tape and bailing wire. But I also would like to cast the entire left side of the offensive line into the sun. Someone smarter than me should weigh in on if Dan Moore could make a position switch to LG. Because then you could take a LT (assuming one is available), move Moore to LG and send Dotson to the bench as feisty back-up. He will likely hold someone and end up 40 yards downfield on his way there though...

I suspect a LT may not fall to them in the first round....my eyeball twitches when I think about taking another ILB in the first round....so that leaves me with CB or the DL.
    Looked up his stats for 2022 and Dotson had 4 false starts, 4 holding, 3 ineligible downfield, 1 unnecessary roughness. Led the entire team in total penalties.