Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Devin Bush Watch

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Devin Bush Watch

I thought there was already a thread dedicated to Devin Bush but I couldn't find it.

With the current depth at ILB this team NEEDS Devin Bush to step up his game this season. Rather than making this a "Devin Bush Sucks" thread or just a bash the player thread, I was hoping to get some real discussion about his on the field play. What were some good plays and why, what were some bad plays and why. Is he trending toward improving over last season overall, or not? I don't think there is much chance Bush gets cut from the 53, but these next 2 preseason games could decide if he keeps his starter role or not.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Devin Bush Watch

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Bush was looking extremely promising before his injury. Enough so that I didn't even mind the draft trade-up. I didn't want to draft Devin Bush - and I strongly preferred Devin White. But Bush was well on his way to proving me wrong.

Then the injury occurred and I truly believe that last season he wasn't mentally recovered. This season will show once and for all... whether he ever can.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    Bush was looking extremely promising before his injury. Enough so that I didn't even mind the draft trade-up. I didn't want to draft Devin Bush - and I strongly preferred Devin White. But Bush was well on his way to proving me wrong.

Then the injury occurred and I truly believe that last season he wasn't mentally recovered. This season will show once and for all... whether he ever can.
    This is exactly what I am hoping for. That the injury recovery, both physically and mentally, is behind him now and he will progress back to the level of play before the injury.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvBsr4jl_Ss

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post

If the first preseason is any sign, he’s not recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Step up as in make a hit? Tackle someone? Defend a pass?

I’m waiting…….

- - - Updated - - -

I iso’d his every snap last week and it was deplorable. He decelerated or took a bad angle to remove himself out of every play he could have made.

- - - Updated - - -

He’s a man that doesn’t want to play a violent collision sport. Period.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

maybe he lost his power after shaving off his penis ponytail, like samson and delilah

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Step up as in make a hit? Tackle someone? Defend a pass?

I’m waiting…….

- - - Updated - - -

I iso’d his every snap last week and it was deplorable. He decelerated or took a bad angle to remove himself out of every play he could have made.

- - - Updated - - -

He’s a man that doesn’t want to play a violent collision sport. Period.
    It would be awesome if we could all watch film in this thread of him iso'd on each of his snaps. That would add so much context to this conversation.

I do not know how many snaps Bush played vs the Jags but the plays I did see him he looked better. Played aggressive and was in on several tackles. I also saw him take some coverages that didn't look to be his primary assignment yet he adjusted.

On the negative , I also saw him get caught in some trail situations where he shoulda/coulda maybe got to the ball carrier faster with a bit more effort.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The TE blew him up on one play so bad it looked like a man on a boy. He had 2-3 snaps where he looked decent. Still not enough.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Doesn't look any different to me than he did all last season. Usually looks like he intentionally takes bad angles and moves slowly toward the play so he doesn't have to deal with much contact until the ball carrier has at least been slowed down. Most of the time it looks like he's actively trying to avoid contact. I'd blow him out now...that's something in his head at this point and it won't get fixed this year.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

They should have probably gotten him to a sports psychologist last year when it really started to become apparent it is more a mental deterioration impacting his play rather than a physical one.

It seems pretty obvious that he is afraid of getting hurt.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    They should have probably gotten him to a sports psychologist last year when it really started to become apparent it is more a mental deterioration impacting his play rather than a physical one.

It seems pretty obvious that he is afraid of getting hurt.
    Is there anything to say that they didn’t get him to a sports psychologist.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Is there anything to say that they didn’t get him to a sports psychologist.
    If they did they need to get a refund. lol

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Bush didn't practice today with an ankle injury.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

I say give him the benefit of the doubt. give him 6 games if he doesn't show up and play like he's capable of, then sit his ass.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    I say give him the benefit of the doubt. give him 6 games if he doesn't show up and play like he's capable of, then sit his ass.

Six? I'd give him 2. If I don't see anything by then I'd just let Spillane start. He's a liability in coverage, but no worse at this point than Bush and at least I know Spillane will put in the effort.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Here is a positive about Bush:

He looks less confused than Kendric Green.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    Six? I'd give him 2. If I don't see anything by then I'd just let Spillane start. He's a liability in coverage, but no worse at this point than Bush and at least I know Spillane will put in the effort.
    not sure if you have been able to watch any preseason football but Spillane looks vastly improved in coverage ... not he isnt an all pro but he is significantly better than Bush at every aspect of football , quite frankly other than Draft cost that is the only reason there is a competition in my eyes because Spillane is the better player right now and likely forever as their arrows are pointed in opposite directions
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

not sure if you have been able to watch any preseason football but Spillane looks vastly improved in coverage ... not he isnt an all pro but he is significantly better than Bush at every aspect of football , quite frankly other than Draft cost that is the only reason there is a competition in my eyes because Spillane is the better player right now and likely forever as their arrows are pointed in opposite directions
    I’ve noticed Spillane keeping up in coverage but the other thing I noticed is, although he is “there”, he’s sometimes not in position to actually make the play but he’s there to make the tackle instantly. Which is an improvement.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I’ve noticed Spillane keeping up in coverage but the other thing I noticed is, although he is “there”, he’s sometimes not in position to actually make the play but he’s there to make the tackle instantly. Which is an improvement.
    I'll take that over still being 5 yards from the LOS (on an 8 yard pattern) and not yet turning my hips to head the right direction to attempt to cover
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

I'll take that over still being 5 yards from the LOS (on an 8 yard pattern) and not yet turning my hips to head the right direction to attempt to cover
    Same!!

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Here is a positive about Bush:

He looks less confused than Kendric Green.
    Here's another one: he's in the last year of his contract.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Did anybody notice that Myles Jack led the Steelers in tackles last night with 12 and Devin Bush was second with 11 tackles?

I doubt it. Well maybe Flores and Tomlin saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Did anybody notice that Myles Jack led the Steelers in tackles last night with 12 and Devin Bush was second with 11 tackles?

But did any of the 11 have splash??

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Here's another one: he's in the last year of his contract.
    Yep haha. Just sign Bush to one year deals every year to keep him motivated.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

But did any of the 11 have splash??
    There was one where he tackled Kareem Hunt short of the goal line and somewhat body slammed him. I guess if he only had 4 tackles instead of 11, it would make Edmunds totals higher and the score even more splashy for the Browns.

The hate is always 10 times worse than the praise.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Both Bush and Jack had really high run totals. Many were 4-5 yards downfield.
    Bush met Hunt at the goal-line and turned him back. I think the Browns scored the next play.

Does Bush look like a $10+ million dollar a year LB? If yes, then the Steelers were wrong in declining his 5th year option and most fans were far off target in their evaluation of Bush. If no, then the Steelers were correct to decline the option year and some fans were in the neighborhood of spot on in their evaluation.

For me, Bush looks like a high end of average ILB right now. Physical traits to be more, but not sure it ever comes together for him. He still seems to struggle at times in coverage and doesn't make plays in the backfield. If he hadn't been drafted so high (not his fault) he would likely annoy less folks. I think he ends up like Edmunds. Comes back at less than the option tag price.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

I did. I mentioned it in the game day thread. Malik Reed and Highsmith played pretty well.

Bush looks like someone who shouldn't be cut. That's an enormous improvement and should be recognized.