Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Devin Bush Watch

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Re: Devin Bush Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Both Bush and Jack had really high run totals. Many were 4-5 yards downfield.
    Bush met Hunt at the goal-line and turned him back. I think the Browns scored the next play.

Does Bush look like a $10+ million dollar a year LB? If yes, then the Steelers were wrong in declining his 5th year option and most fans were far off target in their evaluation of Bush. If no, then the Steelers were correct to decline the option year and some fans were in the neighborhood of spot on in their evaluation.

For me, Bush looks like a high end of average ILB right now. Physical traits to be more, but not sure it ever comes together for him. He still seems to struggle at times in coverage and doesn't make plays in the backfield. If he hadn't been drafted so high (not his fault) he would likely annoy less folks. I think he ends up like Edmunds. Comes back at less than the option tag price.
    The tackle at the goal line really surprised me because he looked MUCH more aggressive on that tackle...I did see another play that he looked really good in coverage practically draped on somebody (can't remember the receiver) but MOST of the plays he looked like he was getting pushed around. I don't see anything about him that really distinguishes him as a high caliber linebacker.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Bush is fine but he and Jack are really macks. Would like to see the Steelers get a true run stuffer (like VW).

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Bush is fine but he and Jack are really macks. Would like to see the Steelers get a true run stuffer (like VW).
    Mark Robinson could be that guy. I bet we see him later in the season.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Devin Bush and Myles Jack are 2 ILBs that can play any LB role. The fact that they had 20-25 tackles between them and lead the defense in tackles shows that. There are some RBs in this league that when they hit the 2nd/3rd level they are very difficult to bring down. I would ask you to go back and look at the game film. Bush and Jack did a very good job at that difficult task vs the Browns. I did not say they were excellent or perfect working together just yet, but they did very well.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Bigger ILB's that are deemed "run stuffers" are often called 2-Down Linebackers. That is because they lack the athleticism to cover athletic TE's or faster RB's in passing downs.

Those ILB's are becoming obsolete because most NFL teams are running offenses with enough athletes at the TE and RB spot to throw on early downs and pick on the bigger, slower ILB's in pass coverage.

The Run Stuffing ILB is becoming as common as the FB in the NFL today.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I hope so

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Devin Bush and Myles Jack are 2 ILBs that can play any LB role. The fact that they had 20-25 tackles between them and lead the defense in tackles shows that. There are some RBs in this league that when they hit the 2nd/3rd level they are very difficult to bring down. I would ask you to go back and look at the game film. Bush and Jack did a very good job at that difficult task vs the Browns. I did not say they were excellent or perfect working together just yet, but they did very well.
    I’ll check again. But how many of those tackles were at the point of attack, near the line of scrimmage? Or were a lot of them in the backfield chasing down a RB or receiver? Chubb did have a big day did he not?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Bigger ILB's that are deemed "run stuffers" are often called 2-Down Linebackers. That is because they lack the athleticism to cover athletic TE's or faster RB's in passing downs.

Those ILB's are becoming obsolete because most NFL teams are running offenses with enough athletes at the TE and RB spot to throw on early downs and pick on the bigger, slower ILB's in pass coverage.

The Run Stuffing ILB is becoming as common as the FB in the NFL today.
    how do we improve our run defense then? Seems we have to get an ILB who’s main task is to stop the run. Maybe get someone who also has some coverage capabilities for a RB or TE, can’t be that hard to find

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Maybe get someone who also has some coverage capabilities for a RB or TE, can’t be that hard to find
    they are exceedingly hard to find , linebackers are normally 1 of two types undersized lineman who stuff the run or big safeties who can run and cover ...

those few that are able to do both are hard to come by and there are never enough to go around hence why the Steelers moved up in rd 1 a few years back and took Bush to replace the guy they took in the 1st round (Shazier) who broke his back .... Jack was a "top 10 prospect" who had rumored bad knees and (had season ending knee injury for the bruins prior to the draft ) would be lucky to last 5 years in the league and that is why he dropped to the second round
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I hope so

- - - Updated - - -

how many of those tackles were at the point of attack, near the line of scrimmage? Or were a lot of them in the backfield chasing down a RB or receiver?
    Maybe I'm not understanding the question exactly. The job of the defense is to stop the offense from advancing the ball. It is typically looked at as 3 levels of defense. There were tackles made at all 3 levels and there always will be.

....https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay/_/gameId/401437735
    Use this link and you can see the play-by-play

Bush and Jack both played well in this game. If you are looking for some perfect thing where the Steelers give up zero yards, it doesn't exist.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question exactly. The job of the defense is to stop the offense from advancing the ball. It is typically looked at as 3 levels of defense. There were tackles made at all 3 levels and there always will be.

....https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay/_/gameId/401437735
    Use this link and you can see the play-by-play

Bush and Jack both played well in this game. If you are looking for some perfect thing where the Steelers give up zero yards, it doesn't exist.
    I’m just wondering where those tackles were made. How far off the line of scrimmage? If most were made around 5 or 6 yards from the line of scrimmage or more then we may have a problem. I guess watching replay is warranted. I like that Bush seemed more engaged this game.

Chubb getting his hundred plus yards bothers me.

I’m just wondering where those tackles were made. How far off the line of scrimmage? If most were made around 5 or 6 yards from the line of scrimmage or more then we may have a problem. I guess watching replay is warranted. I like that Bush seemed more engaged this game.

Chubb getting his hundred plus yards bothers me.
    If you go look at the play-by-play you will see that the 3rd quarter was where the Browns were able to make their move offensively. The numbers look worse than what actually happened during the flow of the game. For the most part. Talking about defensively.

Down 9 with about a minute and a half was the reality of this game. Kicking the FG and the fumble/TD at the end were window dressing. IF Boz hits that 1st half FG that went right, and the score is 23-20 in the 4th, that FG ties us up and probably another OT. BUT, that didn't happen and the rest did, so we lose by a final 12pts. The defense kept us in this game. Again. And Bush/Jack led the defense this week.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

He's played better this year but Roquan Smith will be a UFA next year and we didn't pick up Bush's contract. I would love to replace him with Smith.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

I'm ok if i never see him play another game, Dudes a liability on defense. It's just a shame what we gave up for a bust.

Losing Shazier still hurt the steelers.....

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Absolutley. Shazier was a baller.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    Absolutley. Shazier was a baller.
    And the bigger the game was,the better he was!

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    And the bigger the game was,the better he was!
    Not to compare Bush with Shazier because there is no comparison, when we drafted Bush I had high hopes that he would fit right in and the defense wouldn't miss a beat. Boy, what trash he turned out to be.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Not to compare Bush with Shazier because there is no comparison, when we drafted Bush I had high hopes that he would fit right in and the defense wouldn't miss a beat. Boy, what trash he turned out to be.
    He was great up until that injury…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He was great up until that injury…
    he was good until he shaved off that ponytail that looked like a flopping dong. it looked stupid but he was a beast. Maybe when he cut it off he lost his manhood like samson after getting a haircut
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Do I give myself a pat on the back?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I'm ok if i never see him play another game, Dudes a liability on defense. It's just a shame what we gave up for a bust.
    I thought they were going to draft AJ Brown. ESPN, NFL Network, and PFF thought they were going to draft AJ Brown. Heck, AJ Brown thought they were going to draft AJ Brown.

Instead, they trade up for The Cat Killer… and then had to settle for Diontae “Jim Marshall” Johnson.

Just for a simple comparison, Tremaine Edmunds has a market value in FA around $11M/yr. Devon Bush is around $3M. That's a really big difference.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Devon Bush is around $3M. That's a really big difference.
    $1 million per tackle

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Just for a simple comparison, Tremaine Edmunds has a market value in FA around $11M/yr. Devon Bush is around $3M. That's a really big difference.
    You get what you pay for. The $8M difference is worth it…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Probably worth it. MLB is probably one of our biggest weaknesses on the team, this would definitely help. Besides, Tremaine is still pretty young, maybe he can be our next Farrior

Looking at other ILBs’ salaries, and $11 million is about right for Tremaine.

Get it done, Omar.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Are we sure that Buffalo is going to even let him get to FA?

I haven't heard that they are unable to afford him.

Another ILB that COULD get to FA but I am not certain he will is Germaine Pratt.

Heck, if they both make it to the market...sign them both!

Bush is getting salty… saying he wants to play for a coach who played in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Bush is getting salty… saying he wants to play for a coach who played in the NFL.
    He can go play for Jeff Saturday