Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is on your draft wish list for the 2011 draft?

Junior Member Array title="NLross is an unknown quantity at this point">

Who is on your draft wish list for the 2011 draft?

1. CB Patrick Peterson - LSU Steelers need a Revis-like absolute shutdown corner to free up Polamalu even more

2. FS Ras-I Dowling - Virginia or FS raheem Moore - UCLA, Yet another partner to the best defensive player in the game (Troy Polamalu)

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Re: Whos is on your draft wish list for the 2011 draft?

Rodney Hudson/RG Florida state

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

No WR please!

Our last 2 WR to be drafted in the first round have many off-field problem.

2000:Buress
    2006:Santonio

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Mike Pouncey at Guard!

Ben's Wingman Array title="Merchant has a spectacular aura about"> Merchant's Avatar

I want Mike Pouncey.. The Pouncey Twins reunited on the Steelers O-line.. that would be dope.

I think we go Tackle in the first round though.

Ben's Wingman Array title="Merchant has a spectacular aura about"> Merchant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltreal View Post
    Mike Pouncey at Guard!
    Beat me to it by 30 seconds.. you bastard

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

I wouldn't mind grabbing another Tiger--Drake Nevis. Dude is a BEAST and our three defensive line starters are all on the wrong side of 30.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Too early to tell yet.

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

Re: Who is on your draft wish list for the 2011 draft?

the best on the board at 32 hopefully

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I'll hope for Nate Potter, but we wont draft that high.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I hope this is the year they finally pick up a nose tackle. I'd chuckle if we took the guy from Hampton University - can't remember his name, but he's some Jamaican guy who's like 6'5" and 340 pounds.

In the later rounds, I'd like to see us pick up a real fullback, and at this rate, probably a kicker.

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

FS Ras-I Dowling - Virginia I had my eyes on this guy last year but he decided to return for another year hopefully we get him this year.

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Currently have four players on my watchlist ( that could well change to my wish list)

At OT I would like to see more of junior Matt Reynolds (a guy who could handle RT early on with the view of possibly moving to LT later)

At DE I like Iowa's Christian Ballard and Bama's junior DE Marcell Darius ( two players well positioned to have a big future as s 3-4 DE)

ILB Donta Hightower has been on my wishlist for a while - but a 1st round pick is not going to spent at for a long while and there are much greater needs.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Senior Member Array title="Lambert_Loonie will become famous soon enough"> Lambert_Loonie's Avatar

35 minutes north of the hellhole that is Paul Brown Stadium

Offensive line and load up on defense. The UCLA kicker would be a nice addition too.

You don't have to agree with me, but I do recomend it.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I'll hope for Nate Potter, but we wont draft that high.
    I LOVE Nate Potter....though I wish Boise St would leave him at LT. Who knows, with him being moved around it might drop his draft projection. I think he is a late 1st rounder right now.

If we had the ability to take any player I might go with OT Derek Sherrod...if we are talking about a player that might be there when we pick, I would say OT Nate Potter of Boise St or OT Nate Solder of Colorado
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

IMO, they need a future tackle the most.

then they need a CB or DL.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    IMO, they need a future tackle the most.

then they need a CB or DL.
    Totally agree...I would like to see a OT in the first a CB in the second and a either a DT or DE in the third
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

AKA xfl2001fan-GO BROWNS! Array title="GitNoLuv is on a distinguished road"> GitNoLuv's Avatar

I'd like to get Cameron Heyward. I think he'll be a beast of a 3-4 DE similar to your teams A. Smith. Browns need some more youth on the D-line...and I think he'd fit in nicely next to Rubin. Have Rogers start as our other DE on the other side of Rubin and you've got a beastly front 3 that would rival most 3-4 D-Lines.
    Official SteelUniverse Guru and BrainTrust Committee Chairman!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GitNoLuv View Post
    I'd like to get Cameron Heyward. I think he'll be a beast of a 3-4 DE similar to your teams A. Smith. Browns need some more youth on the D-line...and I think he'd fit in nicely next to Rubin. Have Rogers start as our other DE on the other side of Rubin and you've got a beastly front 3 that would rival most 3-4 D-Lines.
    Cameron Heyworth might be the #1 overall pick this year. He can play 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. Good NFL bloodlines also.

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="MULLDOG24 is an unknown quantity at this point">

OK folks this guy isn't a 1st rounder but he is a football player plain and simple, how about Owen Marecic starting MLB/FB for Stanford! I love this kid he is hard nosed and plays on both sides of the ball. could be a great ST guy, blocking FB, short yardage back, and might be good enough to play some MLB in the future. Plays in a 3-4 scheme as well so that could help and had a nice pick-6 against Notre Dame. At 6' 1" and 244 lbs he is a beast and will make some team a solid player. What ya think about this guy LLT would he make a good Steeler?

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GitNoLuv View Post
    Heyward is a freakin beast! I'd hate it if he went to the browns
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I hope this is the year they finally pick up a nose tackle. I'd chuckle if we took the guy from Hampton University - can't remember his name, but he's some Jamaican guy who's like 6'5" and 340 pounds.

In the later rounds, I'd like to see us pick up a real fullback, and at this rate, probably a kicker.
    Kenrick (Or Kendrick, I've seen both) Ellis is who you're thinking of.

I watched him against Deleware St. Wasn't too impressed. He did show some flashes in penetration and collapsing the pocket and has a good motor but looks to be pretty raw. Loses to leverage battle and gets driven off the ball too much for a guy of his size going against the caliber of talent he did, though I do kinda like State's RG Darryl Hicks.

I caught a couple of looks at Phil Taylor. Didn't get to see him against the run too often, but I know he's got tremendous size and looked really quick off the ball. That's encouraging.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I would like a franchise nose tackle to breed before Big Snack retires in a couple years. Anyone know who the top NT prospects are?

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I would like a franchise nose tackle to breed before Big Snack retires in a couple years. Anyone know who the top NT prospects are?
    This years NT class isnt loaded in the first two rounds...but their are some interesting prospects

Jerrell Powe of Ole Miss is 6'2 330 and probably the #1 legitimate 3-4 NT in this coming draft. His stock is slipping just a bit...but I think his problem is due more to the defensive scheme he is being asked to do...then it is to his ability. Powe needs to get back to tieing up blockers for his LBers...and stop the 3-technique crap. Some problems have been reported with Powe's "intellect" so some teams may be leary of drafting him.

Kendrick Ellis from Hampton is 6'5 and 340 lbs...He was kicked off the University of South Carolinas team for marijuana use...When he is on his game he is a man among boys but has been very inconsistent this year.

Sione Fua of Stanford is 6'2 308....Fua is a little light to play NT at the pro level but he gets excellent leverage and is naturally strong. If he continues to play with the reckless abandon that he has shown this year he could move ahead of this years pack.

Phil Taylor of Baylor is 6'4 355 lbs....Taylor needs to show that he can monitor his weight or the same questions that we all had about Terrence Cody during last years draft is going to hang over his head. Very strong...but seems to tire late in the game. A year or two in a NFL program before he is asked to contribute might benefit him greatly.

Anthony Gray of Southern Miss is 6'0. Weight: 318 lbs.....Gray had 7 1/2 TFL last year. He is an underrated prospect that we should keep an eye on. His draft stock may rise before the season is over.

Ian Williams of Notre Dame is 6'2 310 lbs....just like Sione Fua, Williams shows great leverage and has good strength. Of all the NT's I have seen this year, Williams explodes off the line with more power and punch then anyone else. I like this kid alot. If you are looking for a sleeper...this is your guy.

Lawton Scott of Ole Miss is 6'2 325 lbs....Second day prospect that shows flashes of power. Still waiting for him to get in all together and meet his full potential.

-- Jack Lambert --

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

[QUOTE=LLT;70811]This years NT class isn't loaded in the first two rounds...but their are some interesting prospects

Kendrick Ellis from Hampton is 6'5 and 340 lbs...He was kicked off the University of South Carolinas team for marijuana use...When he is on his game he is a man among boys but has been very inconsistent this year.

I still think that his problem with inconsistency is because he doesn't lower his shoulders enough, and lets smaller players under him. If someone can coach this out of him he may be unstoppable. Just don't know if we would touch him because of the off the field problems.

Probably talking about a 2nd round pick.

AML

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I think nose tackle is a position where it doesn't really do you any good to be tall anyway. You're better off being 6'0" and built like a bowling ball. Height seems like it benefits offensive linemen a lot more, and in particular OTs, because having longer arms helps you fend guys off. 3-4 defensive linemen don't really have a use for that; it's all about strength and leverage.

Anyway ... there don't tend to be many blue-chip NT prospects coming out of college these days in the first place. There's maybe one every three or four years, and they tend to be out of our draft range. Just not too many college kids are ready to come straight into the league and have the physical makeup to overpower NFL offensive linemen at 22 years old -- it really seems like even if you're 330 pounds, your body doesn't quite develop the right build until you're 25, 26, 27 years old. That seems like a position where you take a guy in the second or third round and see how he turns out, which is what I'd like to see us do unless we get really lucky and have someone turn into a clear-cut No. 1 that we can grab.

I'm not really strongly advocating Ellis; I just thought it would be slightly amusing if we took a guy from Hampton to be the backup to Hampton. I guess you had to be more drunk to find that funny.

I am going to keep an eye on Sione Fua of Stanford and Ian Williams of Notre Dame.....though I prefer my NT's to be at about 320+...both of these guys have the motor and work ethic to make an impact. They might both end up being 3 technique DT's but hey...Hoke is just about their size and he could start on most teams.

I have the same feeling with these two prospects that I had last year with Dan Williams of Tennessee...so they both might end up being drafted before the third round

-- Jack Lambert --

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I like mine a little shorter and beefy. I'm watching Gray as much as I can.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I like mine a little shorter and beefy. I'm watching Gray as much as I can.
    If you get a chance check out Williams....he is your type of player. Gets himself FIRED up sometimes!!! I would be interested in your take on him.

-- Jack Lambert --

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Marvin Austin may drop some because of being kicked off his team. He may be available when we pick in the 2nd.... Not sure if he will be a NT though. What do you draft experts say?