Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leafs at Penquins on Wednesday

Married and happy Array title="BPS3akaWirels3 has a spectacular aura about"> BPS3akaWirels3's Avatar

Re: Leafs at Penquins on Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Yeah, many of the older residents up there want it torn down because it left a bitter taste in their mouths after part of the neighborhood was torn down to build it. And like you, I think it's ridiculous that the long-time arena employees had to re-apply for their jobs or were let go because the SEA and the Pens had to meet their quota. The Hill District residents wanted half the jobs, and ended up with about 35% of them, so they didn't get all of what they wanted. But still, it's bullshit that they even demanded it in the first place, considering that the arena is NOT in the Hill District, and other than the lady who has been a Pens' season ticket holder for almost 25 years, they don't support the team. They also get first dibs on any jobs from anything that they build on the Civic Arena site, which is equally bogus.

How's that new grocery store working out for them? Oh that's right - they haven't built one yet. Every major grocer has either backed out of the deal (Kuhn's, Aldi) or said outright they will not build there (Giant Eagle, Shop N Save). Now gee, why do you think that is? So they will have to keep going to the South Side Giant Eagle to do their shopping. Sucks to be them.

There is an effort by some city residents to save and reuse the arena, but I doubt they get any traction. The SEA, Penguins and many Hill District residents want it torn down and new retail/housing built on the site. I'd like for them to at least save part of the dome if they want to get rid of the rest of the building - the place is a historic landmark.
    I can see Martin's building a store there...

Nothing better then a Black & Gold Wedding 09/24/11

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Re: Leafs at Penquins on Wednesday

The full knockdown: