Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DJ

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Re: DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    a few million a year for a couple years is very life changing for most people ...

you do not have to get Mahomes money for it to be considered life changing ...

I mean the vast majority of the population wont make in a lifetime what the average NFL contract pays per year https://www.statista.com/statistics/...alary-by-team/
    Depending where you live, even less than a million. Honestly if you're given enough money to pay off a mortgage, you end up in a position where you no longer need to work full-time to pay the bills. A lot of people would either retire or change careers to do something they really want to do instead of one that they feel trapped in just because it pays enough
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

If it’s as simple as some are alluding to, I’m not sure why more people don’t simply “choose” to play in the NFL (versus breaking their backs for 30 years in a blue collar job).

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If it’s as simple as some are alluding to, I’m not sure why more people don’t simply “choose” to play in the NFL (versus breaking their backs for 30 years in a blue collar job).
    I think I’m gonna choose to be a Grammy winning singer instead.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Deebo, Metcalf, and Scary Terry all have been extended. Steelers likely have to start making overtures soon or pursue a trade.

At least the market has been set. Makes the framework for discussion fairly clear.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

If the options are to sign DJ for 3/75 or trade him for a 2, I’m choosing the latter.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    If the options are to sign DJ for 3/75 or trade him for a 2, I’m choosing the latter.
    I want to agree. But who plays the X? DJs the only “proven” option. Pickens likely can get there.

For me, the best option is the 3/75. Not like they’ve got a big set of cap charges coming in that window.

It’s an overpay but they can do a couple of those until they find a QB.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I want to agree. But who plays the X? DJs the only “proven” option. Pickens likely can get there.

For me, the best option is the 3/75. Not like they’ve got a big set of cap charges coming in that window.

I would rather franchise tag DJ next season and draft another WR early than pay DJ $25 mil/yr.

that kind of $$$ is better spent on a stud CB or OT.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I would rather franchise tag DJ next season and draft another WR early than pay DJ $25 mil/yr.

Ding ding, we have a winner. That's exactly what the tag was made for. Signing a player to a huge deal when you don't even know if he's a reliable #1 guy, just because "who else do we have," is a real loser's move for teams with shit for brains. 3/75 for a blind roll of the dice? No way Jose. 2/25 and you don't even have to pay about 23 of that if you don't want? I'd exploit the shit out of that any day of the week.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

A few months back, DJ asked for 5 years / $75 million. No one wanted to give him that (including the Steelers). There’s no way he gets 3 years / $75 million… and there’s also likely no way he doesn’t sit out.

SUMMATION:
    Trade

Luckily they do not have to make those kind of choices any longer.

Without a massive QB contract on their cap sheet, they no longer have to do A or B. They can do both A and B and likely and C and D to it as well.

Plus, don't think about it as overpaying DJ. Think about it as insulating your new franchise QB. DJ is the kind of gets open on his own safety blanket WR that can really aid in a young QB developing and gaining the confidence necessary to start throwing strikes to the big play guys like Claypool and Pickens.

It doesn't take much to complete 5 yards per attempt. That's the Canada offense.

- - - Updated - - -

They can franchise him and then trade him, like GB did with Adams.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

If we followed the logic of massively overpaying question-mark starters because we have some transitory cap space, right now we'd be eating a nice tasty shit sandwich, in the form of $20 million a year for Bud Dupree, which Khan immediately restructured and made it impossible to release or trade him. How fun would that be?

Stability is a crap reason to pay a "maybe" guy. It's not actually stabilizing anything, it's just hitting the gambling floor. Very rarely does it work out that you have a starter at a position, and then you also have another established veteran starter ready to take over right then and there. We do have Johnson's replacement already on the roster though, maybe two of them. I'd rather spend that money on the line next off-season (either one) or some other position that would actually help us, not have it tied up in a $50 million overpay.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    If we followed the logic of massively overpaying question-mark starters because we have some transitory cap space, right now we'd be eating a nice tasty shit sandwich, in the form of $20 million a year for Bud Dupree, which Khan immediately restructured and made it impossible to release or trade him. How fun would that be?

Stability is a crap reason to pay a "maybe" guy. It's not actually stabilizing anything, it's just hitting the gambling floor. Very rarely does it work out that you have a starter at a position, and then you also have another established veteran starter ready to take over right then and there. We do have Johnson's replacement already on the roster though, maybe two of them. I'd rather spend that money on the line next off-season (either one) or some other position that would actually help us, not have it tied up in a $50 million overpay.
    There’s not another X wr on the roster.

Claypool and Austin have never done it. Both likely can’t.

So the bet would be on Pickens doing it. And that’s a big bet to make on 4 days of football in shorts.

Also, this is totally different than Dupree. Dupree would’ve caused cap casualties across the roster. This time, there’s a 3-4 year window where the Steelers can spend like drunken sailors on shore leave.

There’s little “opportunity cost” here. This is all assuming DJ would take like $18 or so per year.

There’s not another X wr on the roster.

Claypool and Austin have never done it. Both likely can’t.

So the bet would be on Pickens doing it. And that’s a big bet to make on 4 days of football in shorts.

Also, this is totally different than Dupree. Dupree would’ve caused cap casualties across the roster. This time, there’s a 3-4 year window where the Steelers can spend like drunken sailors on shore leave.

There’s little “opportunity cost” here. This is all assuming DJ would take like $18 or so per year.
    There's always an opportunity cost. What else could that $18 million get you next offseason? A decent center and a CB? A stud DL to replenish the line on that side of the ball? Hell, probably a better receiver than Johnson, if we even turn out to need one.

And this is the exact - the EXACT same argument I heard about Dupree. We don't have anyone else. It won't actually cause cap problems, we can afford it. Trusting a random rookie is too risky. Well, none of that turned out to be true at all. it would have been a bad move then and it would be a bad move now, the only difference is that the rookie is better than a random mid-rounder.

Even franchising Dupree while we were doing all our hand-wringing cost us the chance to retain Hargrave, who it turned out we could've used a lot more. And we were fine without Dupree anyway.

Stop worrying so much. You don't need to spend big bucks on the maybe guys. I'm not worried about who will play the X any more than I was worried who would take Dupree's spot, and for the same reason: Both of them are just a maybe. Well, we could have a maybe for free.

Oh yeah, and why is stability suddenly such a big deal? This is the season you wanted to throw away to get a better draft pick in 2023.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

There's always an opportunity cost. What else could that $18 million get you next offseason? A decent center and a CB? A stud DL to replenish the line on that side of the ball? Hell, probably a better receiver than Johnson, if we even turn out to need one.

And this is the exact - the EXACT same argument I heard about Dupree. We don't have anyone else. It won't actually cause cap problems, we can afford it. Trusting a random rookie is too risky. Well, none of that turned out to be true at all. it would have been a bad move then and it would be a bad move now, the only difference is that the rookie is better than a random mid-rounder.

Even franchising Dupree while we were doing all our hand-wringing cost us the chance to retain Hargrave, who it turned out we could've used a lot more. And we were fine without Dupree anyway.

Stop worrying so much. You don't need to spend big bucks on the maybe guys. I'm not worried about who will play the X any more than I was worried who would take Dupree's spot, and for the same reason: Both of them are just a maybe. Well, we could have a maybe for free.

Oh yeah, and why is stability suddenly such a big deal? This is the season you wanted to throw away to get a better draft pick in 2023.
    Stability is important because they drafted Pickett. For better or worse, every decision needs to cater to his development and success as the next franchise cornerstone. They made their bed - now they have to lie in it.

Dupree and Hargrave were totally different situations. After Dupree they were out of cap space. Even if they gave DJ $20 million per year....the could still sign a premier LT, a stud DL, and a shutdown CB without having to really think about it. This team has more cap space then they have guys to spend it on.

Also...Dupree prior to his knee injury was/is far better than Highsmith or any of the other dirtballs they have brought in to play opposite TJ Watt. I suspect Highsmith will improve, but 6 sacks flanking the DPOY and playing behind Heyward is pretty much the bare minimum. This makes no mention of Dupree's superior run defense in comparison as well.

Hargrave left so he could go be a pass-rushing DT full time. They couldn't have paid him enough to entice him to stay here and play half as much in a role he didn't like.

The only bed the Steelers have to lie in is letting DJ play out the final year of his contract. He doesn’t have the leverage of TJ in his hold-in from last year. Next year they can franchise him if they want.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They trade DJ and they have a major issue at WR…especially if Claypool gets injured…lol.

People would be comfortable with Pickens, Austin, Boykin, Gunner and White? 3 proven nobodies and 2 possible nobodies?

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

QB
    5 O-linemen
    Najee
    Muth

That’s 8 starters.

I’m fine with Pickens and Claypool… and some combination of an eleventh player depending on the down-&-distance:
    -Watt at fullback
    -Heyward at TE
    -CAIII in the slot.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They trade DJ and they have a major issue at WR…especially if Claypool gets injured…lol.

People would be comfortable with Pickens, Austin, Boykin, Gunner and White? 3 proven nobodies and 2 possible nobodies?
    In Canada’s offense does it really make much of a difference?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Good point…

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

when the QBs are throwing 4.87 yards we could go empty and line up 5 TE's and have just as good a chance at a 5 yard gain ...wait should we get more TE's ?? just a thought
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    I'm willing to bet majority of the highest paid players at every position other than QB are black people
    deshawn watson #2 , patrick mahomes #3 , dalk prescott tied #6 , RUSSEL WILSON #8.

so 4 out of the top 10 highest paid qb's are black. do black QB's make up 40% of the 32 starting QB's ? looks to me like contract values are merit based and race isnt a factor. but dont let that get in the way of a race baiters narrative. i wonder if bell thinks black team owners would be doing anything different. you know...because blacks are way more generous.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

25 mill for DJ, lmfao. 12.5 IMO. Until he is dependable and averages 15 plus a reception he is not elite. One year removed from leading league in drops, you don’t pay a QB that kind of coin for leading league in INT’s. I’ll retract when I said he’s a dime a dozen, but I still believe he’s replaceable by a few guys in every draft.

when the QBs are throwing 4.87 yards we could go empty and line up 5 TE's and have just as good a chance at a 5 yard gain ...wait should we get more TE's ?? just a thought
    I’d actually like to see quite a few plays with Muth, Gentry, AND Heyward (all three) on the field at the same time.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

There is a report that the Bears are accepting trade proposals for OT Tevin Jenkins.

How would everyone feel about trading DJ for Jenkins? I know there are still the questions at WR if DJ is gone, but would that help strengthen the offensive line and help the offense as a whole?

There is some talk of Jenkins being extremely talented, but immature. He doesn't see eye to eye with the coaching staff. Does his potential upside at a premium position make it something to think about?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    There is a report that the Bears are accepting trade proposals for OT Tevin Jenkins.

How would everyone feel about trading DJ for Jenkins? I know there are still the questions at WR if DJ is gone, but would that help strengthen the offensive line and help the offense as a whole?

There is some talk of Jenkins being extremely talented, but immature. He doesn't see eye to eye with the coaching staff. Does his potential upside at a premium position make it something to think about?
    no thanks, Jenkins had back surgery last year and that scares me.

no thanks, Jenkins had back surgery last year and that scares me.
    Plus, he was also injured in college.

see: Senquez Golson

Our best option if we pursue a trade is to try to put together a package for Juan Soto. Who cares what sport he plays, you just can't pass up a chance at that kind of talent.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Our best option if we pursue a trade is to try to put together a package for Juan Soto. Who cares what sport he plays, you just can't pass up a chance at that kind of talent.
    Bwahahaha Spoken like a true San Diegan.