Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread for the QB competition!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Thread for the QB competition!

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Clearly the offense hasn’t changed…
    I prefer way more the Cowherball that the current offense,even in the current NFL

I mean,yes you run the ball at lot in the CowherBall but at least you also throw deep very often when this is a pass play!

I'm not going to make a final judgment after only one practice without pads but if it doesn't change during the regular season, it will be depressing to watch once again

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Clearly the offense hasn’t changed…
    Hey... if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers are in a position where average QB play puts them in the postseason.

That can't be too much to ask for can it? Which is why the Trubisky signing still baffles me. We already had him for less. We'll see come day 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The Steelers are in a position where average QB play puts them in the postseason.

That can't be too much to ask for can it? Which is why the Trubisky signing still baffles me. We already had him for less. We'll see come day 2.
    I think that is easily answered. Between the two, even after four years as a starter and five years total in the league, Trubisky still has a lot higher ceiling than Rudolph. Rudolph is a career backup/scout team QB. Trubisky's ceiling is probably a low to middle tier starting QB. I'd rather have the latter as a backup than the former in the situation we are in now. That said, if Ben was mid-career, I'd be fine with Rudolph as the backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I don't know the teams he played on and can't be bothered to look them up at the moment. How much of those wins were based on good players around him and him just not screwing it up versus him leading teams to victory? Of course, either way, had we had someone like him two years ago I think we are in the playoffs that year.
    In 2018,the bears were 12-4 and he had a good(not great)year,2019 he was terrible(6.1 yards per pass attempts) and the bears were 8-8 and in 2020,he was benched by his coach during the 3rd game even if his teams had 2 (ugly)wins in their first 2 games and he taken back his starting job for the final 5-6 games, he was average but it was enough since the schedule for the bears was easier

But the running game was much better with Trusbisky for the bears than it was with Nick Foles for the bears in 2020 since the opponents had to respect his legs

Overall, these are his stats(game by game)in his career if you're interested

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...bMi00/gamelog/

The supporting cast of the bears in offense were below average and much of their win was mostly because of defense. You can win with him, but you probably won't win because of him.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I think that is easily answered. Between the two, even after four years as a starter and five years total in the league, Trubisky still has a lot higher ceiling than Rudolph. Rudolph is a career backup/scout team QB. Trubisky's ceiling is probably a low to middle tier starting QB. I'd rather have the latter as a backup than the former in the situation we are in now. That said, if Ben was mid-career, I'd be fine with Rudolph as the backup.
    A lot higher. When we first signed him I said the same thing. I thought basically he and Rudolph were the same quarterback. After watching some film on them both, Trubisky is a much better quarterback.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Hey... if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I guess, technically, it’s not broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

So many interceptions today in practice!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I’m not gonna worry about it. BUT that’s what practice is like when you have bad QBs. These 3 just aren’t very good. There’s this thing or that thing that COULD happen that would MAYBE lead to one of these dudes being good. But that’s betting against the odds.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I’m not gonna worry about it. BUT that’s what practice is like when you have bad QBs. These 3 just aren’t very good. There’s this thing or that thing that COULD happen that would MAYBE lead to one of these dudes being good. But that’s betting against the odds.
    2 of the 3 QBs are new to this system, one is a rookie against what may be a top 5 defense (that struggled against the run last year) and after one practice they all suck . . .

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Using training camp logic. That must mean the defense will be the best in the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Using training camp logic. That must mean the defense will be the best in the NFL.
    If the DL improves on last year, it wouldn't surprise me if this is a top 5 defense
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    2 of the 3 QBs are new to this system, one is a rookie against what may be a top 5 defense (that struggled against the run last year) and after one practice they all suck . . .
    The strength of the Steelers defense is not its ballhawking DBs.

Rudolph and Trubisky have a track record in the NFL of making bad reads, poor decisions, and having iffy mechanics. 2 practices or 202 practices, that is the book on those two until they change the story.

Pickett needed 5 years to play well in a mediocre CFB conference. In his first 4 years he was pegged as a guy with a so-so arm that makes questionable reads and tends to turn the ball over. I'm not gonna hold my breath that he suddenly becomes some top flight QB. He also needs to prove the story is any different on him before anyone should grant him the benefit of the doubt.

Pitckett don't seem to be in the race right now

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Good thing I held off on buying a Pickett Jersey, seems like the guy is getting limited reps and there's actually a battle between Mason and Trubisky. I guess Mason needs to play as if this is his last shot, I mean it kinda is as far as staying on this team.
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Overreaction Central!

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

The strength of the Steelers defense is not its ballhawking DBs.

Rudolph and Trubisky have a track record in the NFL of making bad reads, poor decisions, and having iffy mechanics. 2 practices or 202 practices, that is the book on those two until they change the story.

Pickett needed 5 years to play well in a mediocre CFB conference. In his first 4 years he was pegged as a guy with a so-so arm that makes questionable reads and tends to turn the ball over. I'm not gonna hold my breath that he suddenly becomes some top flight QB. He also needs to prove the story is any different on him before anyone should grant him the benefit of the doubt.
    I am pretty sure that was the knock on another recent QB, he was only good his last year in CFB, and he just lead his team to the SB . . . Trubisky literally was playing for the 2nd worst team and 2nd worst coach in the league when he was drafted (as stated by the 3 other QBs that were there at the same time).

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I am pretty sure that was the knock on another recent QB, he was only good his last year in CFB, and he just lead his team to the SB . . . Trubisky literally was playing for the 2nd worst team and 2nd worst coach in the league when he was drafted (as stated by the 3 other QBs that were there at the same time).
    I'm familiar with all the rationalizations. I just do not buy a single one of them. Trubisky, Pickett, and Rudolph will provide mediocre to bad QB play in the 2022. That is what I believe, no ifs ands or buts.

We've all seen Rudolph play. And I really wanted to like the guy and was rooting for him. But he just isn't good enough. It is harsh, but true. He's too slow at making reads and decisions to consistently succeed in the NFL.

I've seen a fair amount of Trubisky's tenure with the Bears. Maybe the scheme did suck. But so did Trubisky. He tends to miss RBs in the flat by 10+ yards. Sails sideline throws to no one. Gets confused when safeties move. He just isn't very good.

I will grant that Pickett, at least, has a shot to get better. if the Steelers get lucky, Pickett can be coaxed and schemed into playing like Alex Smith with the Chiefs.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Wouldn't it be a funny (suicidally) if they signed a FA QB and drafted a R1 QB and then gave the job to Rudolph?

I will hope for the best but it could be a another long 20 years at the QB position....

- - - Updated - - -

I just hope it will not be bad like the Broncos between 2016 to 2021

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Wouldn't it be a funny (suicidally) if they signed a FA QB and drafted a R1 QB and then gave the job to Rudolph?
    If TC ends with Rudolph as QB1, I think it's over before it starts. I do think Rudolph is a better backup than Landry Jones was. But that's only because Jones wasn't even trying to improve his standing. But as the starter Rudolph can't lead this team for a season.

That’d be hilarious. Like the saddest thing ever but absolutely hilarious

That’d be hilarious. Like the saddest thing ever but absolutely hilarious
    True!

Hilarious and sad at the same time!

BTW,the vast majority of the time, the players always look good in the training camp, especially on offense when they don't have pads, but unfortunately that's not the case for the QBs for the steelers right now.This is almost a red flag for me

More hype for Mason...

Thread for the QB competition!

I thought the same yesterday. Then the fans would riot…Colbert would be the worst GM ever, Mike Tomlin sucks, blah, blah, blah…

True!

Hilarious and sad at the same time!

BTW,the vast majority of the time, the players always look good in the training camp, especially on offense when they don't have pads, but unfortunately that's not the case for the QBs for the steelers right now.This is almost a red flag for me
    Great point. It is why I have expressed pessimism in this thread. I fully realize it is a total over-reaction to two nonsense practices. And is likely a barometer of absolutely nothing.

BUT...BUT....if you can't look good in practices in shorts...you're not going to suddenly look good in a real game.