Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread for the QB competition!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Thread for the QB competition!

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I mean you look at all Cousins stats and he’s easily Top-15 QB. Trubisky is no where near that and if the Steelers had a Top-15 guy last year or year before, they may have won a playoff game or two…maybe the division last year. Cousins and Trubisky really aren’t comparable.

Only 5 QBs in the league have an above .500 record against winning teams. According to his passer ratings, he couldn’t have played that poorly to the point that he was the sole reason they lost games.
    People found stats to make Trubisky look good. But he's not.

People found stats to make Goff look good. But he's not.

Garappolo
    Tannehill
    Cousins
    Foles
    Fitzpatrick

Same song different tune.

Remember when people argued Duck Hodges was good?

Most QBs suck. That's why they're expensive and hard to find.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Thread for the QB competition!

I mean you look at all Cousins stats and he’s easily Top-15 QB. Trubisky is no where near that and if the Steelers had a Top-15 guy last year or year before, they may have won a playoff game or two…maybe the division last year. Cousins and Trubisky really aren’t comparable.

Only 5 QBs in the league have an above .500 record against winning teams. According to his passer ratings, he couldn’t have played that poorly to the point that he was the sole reason they lost games.
    According to watching the games, he often was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Trubisky so far looks like one of "those" QB's. He'll make an incredible throw or a great play here or there, then the next you're wondering how he's even playing in the NFL. He'll dazzle you with his talent in hopes he'll put it together. If he just developed a little more consistency, he'd be a star. That stuff is frustrating and not a good look to have from your NFL QB.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Rather a QB that flashes sometimes than never. It's what separates the Bubby Bristers from the Kent Grahams.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    Rather a QB that flashes sometimes than never. It's what separates the Bubby Bristers from the Kent Grahams.
    I'd actually rather have the total dud. At least your gonna know you have to move on.

Get a guy who flashes too often and you waste too many seasons building around a player who simply isn't good enough.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    Bubby would've been a good QB with the right supporting cast imo. He played well in Philly and Denver when called on to play.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Garappolo
    Tannehill
    Cousins
    Foles
    Fitzpatrick

I don't want to do the annual Kirk Cousins argument again, but the stats of your list pale in comparison to Cousins'. For instance, he is the only QB in the NFL to throw for at least 25 TDs in each of the past 7 seasons. There's a lot not to like about Cousins, but the stat line argument compared to those guys isn't winning the debate.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Garappolo
    Tannehill
    Cousins
    Foles
    Fitzpatrick

That’s a list to compare Trubisky to. That’s not a list that would be a comparison to Kirk Cousins. I mean I could list endless stats to show where a Cousins ranks among the league and none of this guys would even be close.

If you are watching the games and seeing that Kirk Cousins looks only as good as Mitch Trubisky, no offense, but you’re not a good judge of talent. If you don’t think this team would’ve been better with Kirk Cousins than with Trubisky, you’re not a good judge of talent.

The guy has been far and away a better QB than Trubisky and he’s been a better QB than a many other QBs in the league. Again, he’s not a great QB. Hes’s above average, but he’s definitely better than Trubisky and it’s not close.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Kirk Cousins is a classic empty stats guy!

He is not a QB who will make his team better

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

The end result is the same. Is their variance in the individual players? Sure, absolutely. But the final season outcome is the same place. Best case scenario with all of those guys is 9-10 wins. And win a playoff game. Then when it gets really hard...they crumble. If they are surrounded by an overwhelmingly good defense and an offensive scheme that makes-up for their deficiencies, they can advance as far as a championship game or the SB -- but will be unable to overcome the similarly elite defense and good scheme they encounter in one of those games.

The deficiencies of any of the QBs I have listed, or their peers, eventually cause their franchises to do one of three things, sometimes all three:
    1. Move on from the QB at great draft and cap expense.
    2. Fire a series of OCs, DCs, and HCs in order to finally "build the right pieces" around the QB to get over that last hump and win something noteworthy.
    3. Sign high $$$ players at every other spot on the roster hoping that their playmaking abilities on both offense and defense can cover-up for the deficiencies at QB.

Goff to Stafford. (The Lions are well known to be bidding their time to move on from Goff and they're the Lions...)
    Jimmy G to Lance.
    Tannehill to Willis (this is just happening in slow motion...but no surprise that AFTER Tannehill melts down in the playoffs, the Titans purge their roster and draft the "upside traits" QB from the next draft class and weapons his same age...)
    Cousins to....? I mean his own GM has made multiple recent comments about NOT liking his play.
    Dalton/Foles to Fields -- associated with a down to the studs renovation of the roster and a firing of the entire previous brain trust...
    Everywhere Fitzpatrick has ever been.
    Heck, Dalton had it happen in Cincy. I mean the Bengals made dumb decisions and repeated on field gaffes, but they also made a decision to move on from Dalton and seek another solution.
    The Ravens were winning with Flacco when they determined he wasn't enough to get them to where they wanted to be. Is Lamar? Maybe not, but the team still determined that it was worth trying. They remade their entire approach in order to do so.

Take the Steelers against the Vikings last season. Steelers can't move the ball. Vikings and Cook can not be stopped. BUT...Cousins missed at least two (for the NFL) "gimme" big play TD passes that would've likely broken the Steelers backs. Then he proceeded to make a couple of turnovers, fail to convert a few drives, Claypool turned into Randy Moss for a half...and Steelers climbed right back in it. Against a better team than the 2021 Steelers, the Vikings lose that game, in part, because of Cousins' play. Goes down as a win for Kirk...but did anyone feel like he had a hand in that victory? Or did it feel more like miscues and missed opportunities by Cousins were helping to hold open a door for the Steelers to claw their way back into the game and come within a heartbeat of pulling one out?

One final note on Cousins....all these wonderful stats that everyone is over the moon for with him...and we aren't talking about the big one...he is a career .500 QB with 2 winning seasons in a 10 year career.

The sorta common thread with all of these guys is an intangible one. It is that during most regular season games they can get away with executing the play as it is called and as it has been practiced repeatedly. Doesn't matter what the defense does, as long as it doesn't catastrophically fall apart, they know where the ball goes and when to get it there. These guys are all talented enough and physically gifted enough to do that. However....when faced with pressure, breakdowns in blocking, defensive adjustments, whatever....and it all goes "off script" these dudes all meltdown. Turnovers, punts, and a lack of offensive efficiency all ensue. Now, most of the QBs on my rambling and ranty list have been incredibly fortunate to play in massively QB friendly offensive systems, so the scheme can usually help them get back on track....but against good (maybe it even takes really good) defenses....they can't use the scheme to support their play anymore and there just isn't anything else there.

For me, if I was running an NFL franchise, I have no interest in dinking around with one of these types of QBs for more than a season or two. Rather than build around that guy...I'm going to shore up the rest of my roster and be scheming to figure out how to acquire a serious upgrade at QB.

Just because Mitchell Trubisky and Mason Rudolph are terrible, doesn't make me pine for one of these dudes. It still results in losing seasons. So why bother? Just skip ahead to where it ends up. Luckily, there is hope that Pickett is that "skip ahead" for the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

How did a thread about the Steelers QB competition turn into a thread about Kirk Cousins?!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Mason Rudolph for Darrell Henderson. Player for player.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

First time I'll be watching a preseason game all the way through instead of turning it off after the 1st quarter or the half

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    First time I'll be watching a preseason game all the way through instead of turning it off after the 1st quarter or the half
    Good, report back, I just cannot stomach preseason games, especially early games.

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Good, report back, I just cannot stomach preseason games, especially early games.
    Usually me as well, but I'm excited about this year's rookie class. Makes it even more interesting having a 1st round QB.

If anyone is going to watch on NFL Network, I think they’re going to switch to another game after 2 hours. Probably right about the time Pickett enters the game.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    If anyone is going to watch on NFL Network, I think they’re going to switch to another game after 2 hours. Probably right about the time Pickett enters the game.
    Why do you think that?

Why do you think that?
    They've been doing that so far, cutting away from games in the second half.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    Usually me as well, but I'm excited about this year's rookie class. Makes it even more interesting having a 1st round QB.
    if you had watched 5 years of Pitt football prior to the draft you wouldnt be all that excited ... just sayin
    Last edited by Dwinsgames; 08-13-2022 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    They've been doing that so far, cutting away from games in the second half.
    Last night I watched the whole Falcons and Lions game. They cut away for highlights like normal. Hope they keep it all Steelers…but makes sense to do that in the preseason to see the better players from both games. I think if they do cut away, you can probably catch a full replay of the game during the week…maybe?

Last night I watched the whole Falcons and Lions game. They cut away for highlights like normal. Hope they keep it all Steelers…but makes sense to do that in the preseason to see the better players from both games. I think if they do cut away, you can probably catch a full replay of the game during the week…maybe?
    It's very likely they won't show the whole game since it's the cowboys who will play 2 hours after our game starts...So be ready!

It looks like the NFL Network does only have the game slotted in for two hours.

a

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

if you had watched 5 years of Pitt football prior to the draft you wouldnt be all that excited ... just sayin

I'm not making any final determinations about Pickett until he gets some experience. His performance over the first couple years of his career don't necessarily define him, nor does it mean he was always the issue.

For a little perspective, I watched Matt McGloin stink up the joint at Penn State for several years. I watched every game he played, and suspected that he wasn't being coached properly. He was considered a bum by everybody, and they gave him zero chance to do anything in the pros. He went to the pros, and turned into a solid #2 or #3 NFL QB. He started getting coached up by Bill O'Brien in his senior season. He literally said that he was truly learning to play the position for the first time.The point is that college football doesn't always prepare quarterbacks to be professional quarterbacks. Sometimes, the coaches don't even coach quarterbacks correctly....period.

Let's give the kid a chance to show what he can do with proffessional coaching before we declare him a bust or say he can't play. That's all I'm saying.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Well from what we were able to see before they cut away, Pickett was quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Well from what we were able to see before they cut away, Pickett was quite good.
    2nd possession sucked