Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does LeVeon Bell Regret Leaving Steelers?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Does LeVeon Bell Regret Leaving Steelers?

Sounds like he might…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Re: Does LeVeon Bell Regret Leaving Steelers?

at the time, everyone seemed to know that his decision was a bad one except for him

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Everyone told Bell what he was doing wasn't a good idea. He gambled and he hit the Red.

Bell made his decision and he has to live up to it.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

who ?
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHodges View Post
    at the time, everyone seemed to know that his decision was a bad one except for him
    Yep. It’s a shame because his career and legacy would’ve been totally different.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Yep. It’s a shame because his career and legacy would’ve been totally different.
    Yep and, it's a dam shame what could have been.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Yep, he sure "reset the market" for running backs, to the tune of costing himself $50 million over nothing. Not many people in life can say they did that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    Yep and, it's a dam shame what could have been.
    See, I just don't know about that. Back then, we were all yelling and screaming about how great our O Line was, and then as soon as he left, we started seeing serious deficiencies. In fact, we saw them the last time he played as well. My point is, I don't know if he would have had a great or even good second half of his career in Pittsburgh because the O Line was in serious decline (a fact he was helping hide with his run ability). Of course, after AB left, he may have been targeted a lot more, but without teams double-teaming a number 1 WR, he wouldn't have had as much room to work, either. Long story short, I just don't know if his career would have played out much different in Pittsburgh.

All of that said, I like the reflective nature I'm seeing here. It shows a maturity that should come with age. Sadly, it doesn't always do so anymore.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

I hope he whoops Adrian Peterson lol

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Bell's biggest mistake? Putting his trust and career in the hands of this idiot:

The panorama of photographs and books in Adisa Bakari’s office suite forms a vivid “blackdrop” for one of the most unprecedented contract negotiations in NFL history.

Jesse Owens blasts off the starting line. Wilma Rudolph strains with effort. John Carlos and Tommie Smith protest at the 1968 Games. Muhammad Ali points a massive fist. The dozens of books include several on the theme of exploited black labor, such as Slavery By Another Name: The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II and Forty Million Dollar Slaves: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Black Athlete.

...Bakari gives a copy of Forty Million Dollar Slaves to every rookie who signs with his agency.

...Bakari represents Le’Veon Bell, the 26-year-old Pittsburgh Steelers running back whose contract dispute is challenging the balance of power between athletes and team owners.
    Read more: Le’Veon Bell’s agent knows the struggle

So, the NFL of the 21st Century = the antebellum South. Sure. Whatever, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Bell's biggest mistake? Putting his trust and career in the hands of this idiot:

Read more: Le’Veon Bell’s agent knows the struggle

So, the NFL of the 21st Century = the antebellum South. Sure, whatever, dude.
    lol the dude's swimming in millions of dollars, what the hell is his actual struggle? not being able to get the espresso machine working? forgot how to open the doors on a lamborghini?

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    See, I just don't know about that. Back then, we were all yelling and screaming about how great our O Line was, and then as soon as he left, we started seeing serious deficiencies. In fact, we saw them the last time he played as well. My point is, I don't know if he would have had a great or even good second half of his career in Pittsburgh because the O Line was in serious decline (a fact he was helping hide with his run ability). Of course, after AB left, he may have been targeted a lot more, but without teams double-teaming a number 1 WR, he wouldn't have had as much room to work, either. Long story short, I just don't know if his career would have played out much different in Pittsburgh.

All of that said, I like the reflective nature I'm seeing here. It shows a maturity that should come with age. Sadly, it doesn't always do so anymore.
    He would’ve had at least two seasons behind a Top-10 O-Line. The serious decline started in 2020. If he stays, the draft and everything possibly play out differently and maybe that O-Line is addressed more seriously than it has been? His career would’ve been much better than what he did in New York behind a terrible O-Line and a coach that notoriously didn’t like to run the ball or utilize the talents of decent runners. Not to mention, the coach in New York didn’t like him. After that, he’s just piecing a career together with no stability or sustainability at that point. Not many players bounce around the league for parts of seasons and have any consistency. There’s somethjng to say for the familiarity of the locker room, team, playbook, etc.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Whatever you think would have happened in Pittsburgh, signing with the Jets is a great way to make sure you'll get cut without seeing your big money, and then be playing on prove-it contracts. It's where careers go to die. Even playing for the Lions or the Browns usually works out better from an individual standpoint.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I'm 100% sure he regrets holding out and leaving the Steelers whether he ever comes out and says it or not.

If he put together three more good seasons in Pittsburgh, there would be HOF talk about a running back that was considered the best in the NFL for several years.

Nobody won with the outcome, but the Steelers' place in football is just fine. What he potentially cost himself personally and changing the way he will be remembered...or not...is totally on him. He has to live with that. It is real, and it is all his to stew in.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Many people get burned when they chase after the illusion of $$$$. It's not like the Steelers didn't make a reasonable offer. He lost with his bad attitude,
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Many people get burned when they chase after the illusion of $$$$. It's not like the Steelers didn't make a reasonable offer. He lost with his bad attitude,
    I’m not even sure it was a bad attitude as much as dumbbthinkibg and greed.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

He regrets losing $$.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Whatever you think would have happened in Pittsburgh, signing with the Jets is a great way to make sure you'll get cut without seeing your big money, and then be playing on prove-it contracts. It's where careers go to die. Even playing for the Lions or the Browns usually works out better from an individual standpoint.
    So, tell me, what's up with you and the Jets?

So, tell me, what's up with you and the Jets?
    They fuckin suck, that's what!
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

2019 season when Ben went down and we had MR/Duck as our QB's, we sure could've used Bell and AB.........could've made for a better outcome....

that's why i can't stand these 'me' guys .... they torpedo a team

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I'm 100% sure he regrets holding out and leaving the Steelers whether he ever comes out and says it or not.

If he put together three more good seasons in Pittsburgh, there would be HOF talk about a running back that was considered the best in the NFL for several years.

Nobody won with the outcome, but the Steelers' place in football is just fine. What he potentially cost himself personally and changing the way he will be remembered...or not...is totally on him. He has to live with that. It is real, and it is all his to stew in.
    True and the thing I hate the most about Tomlin is that he is not able to manage his running backs and it's frustrating since he learned nothing with what happened with Willie Parker in 2007, so Bell was right on that

But the Bell holdout and the whole drama of AB at the end was in a sense not a surprise, since I was afraid at that time that the killer B's era was going to end very ugly because of all the drama that the steelers had during this time and the only way it was going to be worth it was if the steelers were going to win the super bowl during that time and sadly that didn't happen, so it was no surprise that it imploded spectacularly

Most disappointing era in steelers history if you consider it all

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    True and the thing I hate the most about Tomlin is that he is not able to manage his running backs and it's frustrating since he learned nothing with what happened with Willie Parker in 2007, so Bell was right on that

But the Bell holdout and the whole drama of AB at the end was in a sense not a surprise, since I was afraid at that time that the killer B's era was going to end very ugly because of all the drama that the steelers had during this time and the only way it was going to be worth it was if the steelers were going to win the super bowl during that time and sadly that didn't happen, so it was no surprise that it imploded spectacularly

Most disappointing era in steelers history if you consider it all

The thing that frustrates me the most has been that there is has been little to no quality depth at the position.

The running back position takes more punishment than any other position on the field. You need a quality RB, but you also need quality backup players because the probability of injury is so high.

I have been baffled by the lack of quality backup running backs for years. D'Angelo Williams is the last terrific backup that they have had.

The thing that frustrates me the most has been that there is has been little to no quality depth at the position.

The running back position takes more punishment than any other position on the field. You need a quality RB, but you also need quality backup players because the probability of injury is so high.

I have been baffled by the lack of quality backup running backs for years. D'Angelo Williams is the last terrific backup that they have had.
    Very true

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think it is a resource distribution thing. And it is not just the Steelers. There seems to be two ways to go about this. High draft pick and then UDFA dart throws. Or multiple lower draft picks + UDFA dart throws.

One path leads to fairly decent depth because you can get multiple guys with similar talent profiles. The other leads to a large gap in talent and then few resources to devote to the back-ups.

I think the Steelers biggest problem is that they remain "devoted" to the same marginal back-ups for far too long. I think in the name of continuity or whatever. It makes no sense to me. Snell, McFarland, Edmunds, etc. all need to be gone. There does seem to be some movement on that front this off-season. The best I got is that the Steelers were prioritizing playbook knowledge and pass protection competency over "potential" in their reserve RBs during the final stage of Roethlisberger's career.

But honestly, their approach to back-up RB has been goofy for a long time.

It’s not even a resource thing it’s just their refusal to pay for a quality back up. There are plenty of options out there every year that they could sign but choose not to spend a little money for a quality back up. Even as of this moment there’s quality out there that is leaps and bounds better than Benny Snell. I’d sign Justin Jackson in a heartbeat.

It’s not even a resource thing it’s just their refusal to pay for a quality back up. There are plenty of options out there every year that they could sign but choose not to spend a little money for a quality back up. Even as of this moment there’s quality out there that is leaps and bounds better than Benny Snell. I’d sign Justin Jackson in a heartbeat.
    Very true and the steelers had the cap space for it this year(They still have 13 millions of cap space right now...)

If I was a future RB in the NFL and I have the potential to be very good, the Steelers would probably be one of the last teams I wanted to play because of the way they manage the running backs for whatever reason since a very long time.

They treated Conner and Willie Parker like they had the durability and toughness of a Jerome Bettis

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Most previous seasons, they are maneuvering right up to the last minute to get under the cap. They clearly have decided that one "primary" RB that costs $$$ and draft picks is all they are willing to spend. The rest are vet minimum or lower round picks.

They are clearly telling us that they are unwilling to commit resources beyond a certain point to the RB position.

Personally, I would rather have like 3rd or 4th round picks in consecutive years split out the position than one 1st round RB and then just awful on the rest of the positional depth chart.

I also think that the Steelers are not super duper great at scouting and projecting RBs. They are seemingly stuck on size benchmarks over all else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think it is a resource distribution thing. And it is not just the Steelers. There seems to be two ways to go about this. High draft pick and then UDFA dart throws. Or multiple lower draft picks + UDFA dart throws.

One path leads to fairly decent depth because you can get multiple guys with similar talent profiles. The other leads to a large gap in talent and then few resources to devote to the back-ups.

I think the Steelers biggest problem is that they remain "devoted" to the same marginal back-ups for far too long. I think in the name of continuity or whatever. It makes no sense to me. Snell, McFarland, Edmunds, etc. all need to be gone. There does seem to be some movement on that front this off-season. The best I got is that the Steelers were prioritizing playbook knowledge and pass protection competency over "potential" in their reserve RBs during the final stage of Roethlisberger's career.

But honestly, their approach to back-up RB has been goofy for a long time.

I hear what you're saying, and I think that is a pretty good description of the approach. What bothers me is that the running back position has never been so affordable. You can pick up proven, quality players that still have good tread on the tires at an affordable rate.

If a team keeps saying we are going to focus on running the ball, they can't have one running back that makes the whole thing work. If that guy goes down, the system collapses or is diminished greatly...and forces the offense to throw the ball more. That is, unless you have a dominant OL that anyone can run behind.

I hear what you're saying, and I think that is a pretty good description of the approach. What bothers me is that the running back position has never been so affordable. You can pick up proven, quality players that still have good tread on the tires at an affordable rate.

If a team keeps saying we are going to focus on running the ball, they can't have one running back that makes the whole thing work. If that guy goes down, the system collapses or is diminished greatly...and forces the offense to throw the ball more. That is, unless you have a dominant OL that anyone can run behind.
    Totally agree.

Whatever it is that they have been doing at the position post L Bell has made almost no sense to me. At least with the back-up part of it.

FWIW, the McNichols signing feels like a step in the "right" direction. I thought Ballage was a similar idea. Take a chance on a guy with some upside left and some limited NFL flashes.

For me, they just need to do it more often. Or more at a time. Sign another 2 guys and see what you can see...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Totally agree.

Whatever it is that they have been doing at the position post L Bell has made almost no sense to me. At least with the back-up part of it.

FWIW, the McNichols signing feels like a step in the "right" direction. I thought Ballage was a similar idea. Take a chance on a guy with some upside left and some limited NFL flashes.

For me, they just need to do it more often. Or more at a time. Sign another 2 guys and see what you can see...

I hope it will change with a new GM(even if Khan was with us for so many years,it don't mean it will stay all the same)