Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Najee Harris ranked 8th RB in NFL according to ESPN poll of Coaches, Exec's, players

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Najee Harris ranked 8th RB in NFL according to ESPN poll of Coaches, Exec's, players

Najee ranked #8 in ESPN poll.

The Steelers wasted little time getting Harris acclimated to the NFL, handing him the ball nearly 400 times (307 rushes, 74 catches) despite a suspect offensive line and an aging Ben Roethlisberger under center. Harris responded with a Pro Bowl performance, rushing for 1,200 yards and scoring 10 total touchdowns with zero rushing fumbles.

Some voters knocked Harris' lack of speed or explosion. One NFL defensive coach said, "Not for me. He had 1,200 yards when everyone knew he was going to run it. They knew the Steelers weren't throwing deep and their offensive line was terrible."

But one front-office executive said Harris is great in space because he's a "big person" at 6-foot-1, 232 pounds with broad shoulders and is a "handful in the open field." Harris' 62 rushes for a first down ranked third in the NFL. The exec explained the problem lies when a play isn't blocked up well at the line because defenders get good shots on Harris' big frame, and he is not sudden or fast enough to evade those hits.

"He doesn't have quite the juice as some of the other backs, but he's a really good all-around player, really good in space ... and has great hands," the exec said.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...s-best-rushers

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Najee Harris ranked 8th RB in NFL according to ESPN poll of Coaches, Exec's, players

Next year he will be one or two!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Najee Harris ranked 8th RB in NFL according to ESPN poll of Coaches, Exec's, players

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Next year he will be one or two!!
    Yeah, hopefully with some improvement on the O line and the ability to stretch the field out better with guys like Austin III, Pickens added to the roster, Najee might have more room to run the ball. Still nice to think the Steeler may have a top 10 RB for the next 4 seasons.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

1200 yards working behind one of the worst o-lines in the league, that's beast

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

b-b-b-b-b-but he's not a breakaway threat and is slow. Shouldn't draft RBs in the first round. BUST!!!!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    b-b-b-b-b-but he's not a breakaway threat and is slow. Shouldn't draft RBs in the first round. BUST!!!!
    Well.... the first part of that statement is true. The latter part will come down to years 2-4. Will we get value out of him as a R1 pick? I'm not sold after year one, but I'm optimistic at this stage.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Well.... the first part of that statement is true. The latter part will come down to years 2-4. Will we get value out of him as a R1 pick? I'm not sold after year one, but I'm optimistic at this stage.
    But it’s really not. I mean compared to Chris Johnson he’s slow. Compared to Derrick Henry, Adrian Peterson, Ladanian Tomlinson, Christian McCaffrey, Dalvin Cook he’s not slow at all.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Man you guys disappoint!
    No suddeness
    No glide...

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Man you guys disappoint!
    No suddeness
    No glide...
    I disagree, he has glide. Suddeness is lacking but he makes up for it in power, balance, blocking, receiving ability. I think his yards after contact is a big part of his game.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

But it’s really not. I mean compared to Chris Johnson he’s slow. Compared to Derrick Henry, Adrian Peterson, Ladanian Tomlinson, Christian McCaffrey, Dalvin Cook he’s not slow at all.
    My eyes tell me a different story. He's likely a 4.68-72 guy.

I mean in all fairness, did he have the holes to have even a few break away attempts? I don’t recall him getting dragged down from behind often in the few big gains he did have (meaning 20 yards or more). No more than any other back.

I think the eyes might be a bit off. Najee ran a 4.66 in 2017 at the national high school recruiting combine. He has likely gotten a bit faster since then. He reportedly ran a unofficial 4.45 at Alabama, but that doesnt really translate to film. I think he is more 4.52-4.55, but I think the more pressing question would be What is his 10 yard split like?

He lacks the burst thru holes, but that is expected from a big back so its just an acceptable part of such a big back. He has long strides once he gets into the secondary but isnt a home run threat for many 60+ yard TD runs.

In the end, I like him and liked the pick. Big back, productive, durable, can catch and block, plus is a character guy and good teammate. I think he has potential to be a team leader, but that may be short lived as the Steelers wont pay a big time contract to a RB after his option year. Still nice to have a top RB and Top TE on offense finally.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I mean in all fairness, did he have the holes to have even a few break away attempts? I don’t recall him getting dragged down from behind often in the few big gains he did have (meaning 20 yards or more). No more than any other back.
    He’s basically Jerry Rice.

Rice’s straight-line speed was only 4.71. But, I can count number of times he was “caught from behind in the open field” on one hand… Jason Pierre-Paul’s hand.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think the eyes might be a bit off. Najee ran a 4.66 in 2017 at the national high school recruiting combine. He has likely gotten a bit faster since then. He reportedly ran a unofficial 4.45 at Alabama, but that doesnt really translate to film. I think he is more 4.52-4.55, but I think the more pressing question would be What is his 10 yard split like?

He lacks the burst thru holes, but that is expected from a big back so its just an acceptable part of such a big back. He has long strides once he gets into the secondary but isnt a home run threat for many 60+ yard TD runs.

In the end, I like him and liked the pick. Big back, productive, durable, can catch and block, plus is a character guy and good teammate. I think he has potential to be a team leader, but that may be short lived as the Steelers wont pay a big time contract to a RB after his option year. Still nice to have a top RB and Top TE on offense finally.
    I'll stick with my evaluation on the time. There's a reason he didn't run a 40 before the draft. He's definitely not a 4.45 guy. I hope he runs for 1600 yards. I'm not a hater. I'm just not as enamored with the product on the field last year as most on here are.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    He’s basically Jerry Rice.

Rice’s straight-line speed was only 4.71. But, I can count number of times he was “caught from behind in the open field” on one hand… Jason Pierre-Paul’s hand.
    I see what you did there. And I support it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Le'Veon Bell wasn't very fast either, but he did alright. I gotta feeling Najee is going to have a big year. Mostly because I'm a biased Steelers fan and partly because he was one of my keepers in fantasy.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

4.6 is Benny Snell speed, Najee is faster than that

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    4.6 is Benny Snell speed, Najee is faster than that
    Snell was 4.66 pre draft and is likely slower now.

I'll stick with my evaluation on the time. There's a reason he didn't run a 40 before the draft. He's definitely not a 4.45 guy. I hope he runs for 1600 yards. I'm not a hater. I'm just not as enamored with the product on the field last year as most on here are.
    I agree, he is not a 4.45 guy. He was recovering from an ankle injury and that was the stated reason he didn't run, but I do believe that running a 4.60 on a recovering ankle wasnt going to boost his draft stock, so that was likely a reason he didnt run as well.

But face it, if people are looking for a 6'2" 230lb RB to run a 4.45 then they are possibly also looking for a leprechaun with a pot O gold at the end of the rainbow. Lance Zeirline's eval on NFL.com was pretty accurate of a big back, with good hands, that follows blocks and bursts to space and is a violent finisher. Makes more people miss despite being a physical back, but doesnt have the speed to threaten the long run or big play.

I think he is a top 10 back in the NFL and while he may not be a guy like Jonathan Taylor who will run for 80 yard TD's, he is better than at least 20 other teams starting RB's. Plus we get to see him do stuff like this...

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I agree, he is not a 4.45 guy. He was recovering from an ankle injury and that was the stated reason he didn't run, but I do believe that running a 4.60 on a recovering ankle wasnt going to boost his draft stock, so that was likely a reason he didnt run as well.

But face it, if people are looking for a 6'2" 230lb RB to run a 4.45 then they are possibly also looking for a leprechaun with a pot O gold at the end of the rainbow. Lance Zeirline's eval on NFL.com was pretty accurate of a big back, with good hands, that follows blocks and bursts to space and is a violent finisher. Makes more people miss despite being a physical back, but doesnt have the speed to threaten the long run or big play.

I think he is a top 10 back in the NFL and while he may not be a guy like Jonathan Taylor who will run for 80 yard TD's, he is better than at least 20 other teams starting RB's. Plus we get to see him do stuff like this...

I agree with about everything you said. Although I still think he’s slower than you think. The Bus wasn’t winning any 40 contests either and he did “okay.” Najee is definitely top 10. But we’ll see this year if he can ascend to the upper echelon. I just want to see him hit the holes and have a burst, even if he doesn’t run for 40 yards.

A very in-depth article on Najee's offseason training.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...burgh-steelers

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Players generally make their biggest jump from season 1 to 2, so hoping that applies to Najee as well

Here is Greg Cosell's evaluation of Najee. I couldn't agree more.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Here is Greg Cosell's evaluation of Najee. I couldn't agree more.

He was a forced pick for Ben’s last ride. I was worried that it would bite them in the butt. I was told it wouldn’t. Repeatedly.

Well, here we are and I REALLY like Harris as a leader and a player. But I am concerned he simply isn’t good enough. At least not first round RB good enough. You better DOMINATE for that kind of investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    He was a forced pick for Ben’s last ride. I was worried that it would bite them in the butt. I was told it wouldn’t. Repeatedly.

Well, here we are and I REALLY like Harris as a leader and a player. But I am concerned he simply isn’t good enough. At least not first round RB good enough. You better DOMINATE for that kind of investment.
    Cosell nailed it with the re-acceleration comment. I think Cosell is a great evaluator.

I’m just happy we found Jaylen Warren.

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

Yeah we were hoping for the 2nd coming of the bus but got the handi van lol
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Cosell nailed it with the re-acceleration comment. I think Cosell is a great evaluator.

I’m just happy we found Jaylen Warren.
    It can still likely be an excellent backfield set-up. The two may end up being perfect compliments to each other.

Look, I understand why Harries and PF were drafted. I really do. And they are not bad players. They both seem like exceptional guys, leaders, and have a great deal of talent. I just think that they were the wrong picks for this team at this time. It was a draft with your heart instead of head series of picks.

A grind it out style of runner and a workhorse TE just aren't priorities for a rebuilding roster. I suspected at the time and now feel very strongly that the pick should have been a Center and I'm not sure what/who else. Then get a guy like Stevenson later in the draft. I do not think the talent gap between him in Harris is 3 draft rounds large.

And I really like PF, but he didn't "fix the run game" as everyone talked about. He still isn't anything above "meh" as an inline blocker. Maybe he gets there. It takes TEs several seasons to adapt to the pro game. And he certainly has a great role in the passing game. But the idea that PF and Harris would be instant dominant run game just add water was, IMO, a big mistake by the FO.

Again, it was a good attempt to give Ben one last rodeo to see what he could do. But I would, in more than a bit of hindsight, really wished they went o line and something else.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

OL is better and getting better.

Pickett is finally starting QB.

TE group and WR group are filled with talent.

Must be Najee's turn in the barrel.

It can still likely be an excellent backfield set-up. The two may end up being perfect compliments to each other.

Look, I understand why Harries and PF were drafted. I really do. And they are not bad players. They both seem like exceptional guys, leaders, and have a great deal of talent. I just think that they were the wrong picks for this team at this time. It was a draft with your heart instead of head series of picks.

A grind it out style of runner and a workhorse TE just aren't priorities for a rebuilding roster. I suspected at the time and now feel very strongly that the pick should have been a Center and I'm not sure what/who else. Then get a guy like Stevenson later in the draft. I do not think the talent gap between him in Harris is 3 draft rounds large.

And I really like PF, but he didn't "fix the run game" as everyone talked about. He still isn't anything above "meh" as an inline blocker. Maybe he gets there. It takes TEs several seasons to adapt to the pro game. And he certainly has a great role in the passing game. But the idea that PF and Harris would be instant dominant run game just add water was, IMO, a big mistake by the FO.

Again, it was a good attempt to give Ben one last rodeo to see what he could do. But I would, in more than a bit of hindsight, really wished they went o line and something else.
    I agree re NH, but PF was a very good second pick. A solid TE is a young QB’s best friend. Up to this point, PF hasn’t had a top 15 QB to get him the ball.

I agree re NH, but PF was a very good second pick. A solid TE is a young QB’s best friend. Up to this point, PF hasn’t had a top 15 QB to get him the ball.
    We will have to see how the OL holds up. I still think a rock solid OL is more valuable. I suspect the current OL is buoyed by "quick" plays and the small # of snaps they face each game.

I think the next 4-6 weeks will tell us whether this is a decent or not decent grouping

My personal belief is that a better center and LT is going to look far more necessary than a TE by like Week 12.