Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Waaay Too Early Mock Draft

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Re: A Waaay Too Early Mock Draft

Peter Skoronski

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Peter Skoronski
    Not at #1 overall.

(But, a name to consider in the latter part of R1.)

Senior Member Array title="BEERgods225 has a spectacular aura about">

1 DT Jalen Carter Georgia
    2 CB Joey Porter Jr. Penn State
    3 OT Zion Nelson Miami
    4 OLB Andre Carter II Army
    5 Traded to Seattle in 2021 - CB Ahkello Whitherspoon
    6 Traded to Denver in 2022 - OLB Malik Reed
    7 OC/G Mark Evans II Ark. Pine-Bluff
    7 (f/ Den) See above trade RB Mohamed Ibrahim Minnesota
    UD TE Davis Allen Clemson
    UD OLB Tyler Friday Ohio State
    UD WR Ricky Pearsall Florida
    UD OC/G Warren Ericson Georgia

Currently we're projected to draft #2 overall. Personally I'd like to trade back a few, four or five times and acquire more picks but staying put and drafting according to needs I believe that we have way more needs than one draft can solve.

TEAM NEEDS: Offensive Coordinator, R CB, L CB, NT, LT, LG, OC, RG, RT, Swing OT, Back up OC/G, 3rd RB, 2nd QB, LOLB depth, ROLB depth, to replace Bush at ILB, and to trade Chase Claypool and Diontae Johnson and draft a fifth WR (1-Pickens, 2-Sims, 3-(Slot) Miller, 4-Austin, 5- ??Boykins??)

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

All you really need to look at is the Rams. They make a 'blockbuster trade' for Matthew Stafford and immediately they win a ring. Head into the offseason knowing already Whitworth is retiring. They do not replace him in FA or the draft. The only starter OL they have back is their Center from last season. The rest of their starting OL were backups last season OR even PS guys last year. They have the same 'skills' guys, none of that has changed. Same QB that took them to the promised land. The coaches didn't suddenly forget how to coach. Yet, here they sit in their sorry division in 3rd place at 3-5.

What has gone wrong is the lack of investment in the OL.

The Steelers have a rookie QB that even if he's not the next franchise, he's at least won his role at this point. The Steelers offensive weapons are good. The OL is improved over last year, but that bar is very low. Let me say I do not 'hate' this OL, but I want to see a huge upgrade. That is going to take FA money, multiple high draft picks, or trades. OR maybe a combination of those things.

I would go into this draft with the mindset of BPA in the 1st round at whatever position. Then I would spend 2 of the next 3 picks on OL. I would spend 2 of the first 4 picks on OL this draft.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If DL....Jalen Carter, Myles Murphy, or Bryan Bresee?

If CB...Joey Porter Jr, Kelee Ringo, or Cam Smith?

If OT...Pete Skoronski, Paris Johnson, or Broderick Jones?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    All you really need to look at is the Rams. They make a 'blockbuster trade' for Matthew Stafford and immediately they win a ring. Head into the offseason knowing already Whitworth is retiring. They do not replace him in FA or the draft. The only starter OL they have back is their Center from last season. The rest of their starting OL were backups last season OR even PS guys last year. They have the same 'skills' guys, none of that has changed. Same QB that took them to the promised land. The coaches didn't suddenly forget how to coach. Yet, here they sit in their sorry division in 3rd place at 3-5.

What has gone wrong is the lack of investment in the OL.

The Steelers have a rookie QB that even if he's not the next franchise, he's at least won his role at this point. The Steelers offensive weapons are good. The OL is improved over last year, but that bar is very low. Let me say I do not 'hate' this OL, but I want to see a huge upgrade. That is going to take FA money, multiple high draft picks, or trades. OR maybe a combination of those things.

I would go into this draft with the mindset of BPA in the 1st round at whatever position. Then I would spend 2 of the next 3 picks on OL. I would spend 2 of the first 4 picks on OL this draft.
    Absolutely!!!

R1: Peezy Jr. (because we win more games in the second half, and if we aren’t in the top ten, I’m taking a corner… especially one who the city will immediately LOVE).

R2: Zion Nelson, OT, The U
    R2: Andrew Vorhees, LG, US
    R3: Ricky Stromberg, C, Arkansas

Although… I might take a D-lineman instead of one of those interior linemen.

If DL....Jalen Carter, Myles Murphy, or Bryan Bresee?

If CB...Joey Porter Jr, Kelee Ringo, or Cam Smith?

If OT...Pete Skoronski, Paris Johnson, or Broderick Jones?
    DL: Carter!!!

CB: It comes down to preference. IMO, the three CBs could go in any order. Personally, I like Peezy Jr.

OL: Again, it’s preference.

SUMMATION:
    To play it safe… give me a Georgia player in R1, and I’d be a happy camper.

Lindsey Scott Jr 5'11"-212LBs. Played in only 14 games at a college in Louisiana I had not heard of before, University of the Incarnate Word.

In those 14 games last season he threw for 4686 yards completing 71% and 60 TDs with 8 INTs. He averaged 14.6 yards per pass and 334.7 yards per game.

He also ran for 712 yards and 11 TDs. 5.4 yards per run and 50.9 yards per game.

There is much research left to do but early on I'm getting visions of a bigger Antwaan Randel El. I don't know any of the details but he started out at LSU and ended up on Last Chance U Mississippi.

Christmas Mock

1. (16) Joey Porter Jr, CB PSU
    2a. (33) Nolan Smith, LB Georgia
    2b. (46) O'Cyrus Torrence, OG Florida
    3. (77) Jaelyn Duncan, LT Maryland
    4. (114) Ronnie Bell, WR Michigan
    6. (193) PJ Mustipher, DT PSU
    7. (234) Bo Nix, QB Oregon

Christmas Mock

1. (16) Joey Porter Jr, CB PSU
    2a. (33) Nolan Smith, LB Georgia
    2b. (46) O'Cyrus Torrence, OG Florida
    3. (77) Jaelyn Duncan, LT Maryland
    4. (114) Ronnie Bell, WR Michigan
    6. (193) PJ Mustipher, DT PSU
    7. (234) Bo Nix, QB Oregon
    Hard to argue with those first four picks… especially if we can get those two O-linemen at those two positions.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Hard to argue with those first four picks… especially if we can get those two O-linemen at those two positions.
    I don’t know. The draft positions aren’t 100% set yet either.

Assuming we win out and get the 7th seed with all the help from other teams, it’s only a matter of just doing it to win #7. Picking at 31 and then again at 33 we might not go defense with both picks.

I don’t know. The draft positions aren’t 100% set yet either.

Assuming we win out and get the 7th seed with all the help from other teams, it’s only a matter of just doing it to win #7. Picking at 31 and then again at 33 we might not go defense with both picks.
    31 and 33

Since the bye, Dan Moore has played a lot better… like he did as a rookie. Maaaaybe we focus on a better LG, which would in turn improve Moore’s play. (I’d also like to add a center, but not until R3.)

The good thing is: there are a TON of LGs in this draft. We WILL get one in R2.

Every week, Kevin Dotson is rated in the top five for the Steelers (according to PFF)… yet, almost every week, he simultaneously also seems to make at least one mental gaff (penalty) at the absolute worst time.

I’m torn on whether to replace him or Dan Moore… who is hot & cold.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Every week, Kevin Dotson is rated in the top five for the Steelers (according to PFF)… yet, almost every week, he simultaneously also seems to make at least one mental gaff (penalty) at the absolute worst time.

I’m torn on whether to replace him or Dan Moore… who is hot & cold.
    More important to improve the LT position

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    More important to improve the LT position
    True

That said, I’m pretty much “all in” on Peezy Jr. in R1… and the sweet spot for OGs is right around that Bears R2 pick…

True

That said, I’m pretty much “all in” on Peezy Jr. in R1… and the sweet spot for OGs is right around that Bears R2 pick…
    I have convinced myself that Jaelyn Duncan will be drafted by the Steelers. 2nd/3rd round pick. Obviously will have to watch the visits tracker and his health card, but the combo of position of needed upgrade, Duncan's draft profile to this point, he played at Maryland so you know Tomlin is already on him, and he is 6'6"-320LBs and only 22yrs old.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/j...g-report-2023/

Maybe Moore gets 1 more season at LT before any changes. Maybe the move is upgrading LG instead. Duncan is one name on my radar so far. #1 Porter Jr, #2 Duncan. Could be a move inside at 6'6"?

I have convinced myself that Jaelyn Duncan will be drafted by the Steelers. 2nd/3rd round pick. Obviously will have to watch the visits tracker and his health card, but the combo of position of needed upgrade, Duncan's draft profile to this point, he played at Maryland so you know Tomlin is already on him, and he is 6'6"-320LBs and only 22yrs old.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/j...g-report-2023/

Maybe Moore gets 1 more season at LT before any changes. Maybe the move is upgrading LG instead. Duncan is one name on my radar so far. #1 Porter Jr, #2 Duncan. Could be a move inside at 6'6"?
    The Maryland connection makes it a lock.

I keep going back to your mock (from Christmas). If it turns out that way, I’d be very happy. The only player who I don’t think will fall far enough would be O’Cyrus Torrance; we’d most likely need to take him with the Bears’ R2 pick.

The Maryland connection makes it a lock.

I keep going back to your mock (from Christmas). If it turns out that way, I’d be very happy. The only player who I don’t think will fall far enough would be O’Cyrus Torrance; we’d most likely need to take him with the Bears’ R2 pick.
    I've seen Torrence on the big boards as high as 26 all the way down to 50. Consensus top50 player by all boards. I have no problem taking him wherever. Depending on how he tests out he could end up BPA when we pick at 31. Torrence is also a huge man at 6'5" and 340LBs. Nothing to dislike here.

I've seen Torrence on the big boards as high as 26 all the way down to 50. Consensus top50 player by all boards. I have no problem taking him wherever. Depending on how he tests out he could end up BPA when we pick at 31. Torrence is also a huge man at 6'5" and 340LBs. Nothing to dislike here.
    He’s my favorite guard in this draft. That said, there are several very good guards: Vorhees (USC), Patterson (Notre Dame) Schmitz (Minnesota), Van Pran (Georgia)…

He’s my favorite guard in this draft. That said, there are several very good guards: Vorhees (USC), Patterson (Notre Dame) Schmitz (Minnesota), Van Pran (Georgia)…
    Who is this year’s Ed Ingram?

Who is this year’s Ed Ingram?
    O’Cyrus Torrance

My "I've Been Looking at O-linemen Too Much" Mock Draft:

R1: O'Cyrus Torrance, LG, Florida
    R2: Andrew Vorhees, RG, USC
    R2: Dawand Jones, RT, Ohio St.
    R3: Jarrett Patterson, C, Notre Dame

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Broderick Jones, IOL, Georgia
    2. Gervon Dexter, DT, Florida
    2. Julius Brents, CB, Kansas State
    3. Rakim Jarrett, WR, Maryland
    4. Sirvocea Dennis, ILB, Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    1. Broderick Jones, IOL, Georgia
    2. Gervon Dexter, DT, Florida
    2. Julius Brents, CB, Kansas State
    3. Rakim Jarrett, WR, Maryland
    4. Sirvocea Dennis, ILB, Pittsburgh
    I like the SirVocea pick.