Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Waaay Too Early Mock Draft

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

A Waaay Too Early Mock Draft

Looking ahead to the upcoming draft, I’d love to pair Jordan Addison (WR) with his former college quarterback… but, Addison is going to go in the Top Ten. I’ll take the next best thing: the heir to a Steelers legend.

32: Joey Porter, Jr., CB, Penn St.

After that, give me one of these three R2 centers.

64: Jarrett Patterson, Notre Dame
    64: John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota
    64: Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas

If I get those two, you can have whatever else you want.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Re: A Waaay Too Early Mock Draft

1 (traded for Roquan Smith)
    2 WR Cedric Tillman, Tennessee
    3 OLB Andre Carter, Army
    4 RB Kendall Milton, Georgia
    5 P Michael Turk, Oklahoma
    6 NT Keondre Coburn, Texas
    7 OT Quinton Barrow, Grand Valley

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Looking ahead to the upcoming draft, I’d love to pair Jordan Addison (WR) with his former college quarterback… but, Addison is going to go in the Top Ten. I’ll take the next best thing: the heir to a Steelers legend.

32: Joey Porter, Jr., CB, Penn St.

After that, give me one of these three R2 centers.

64: Jarrett Patterson, Notre Dame
    64: John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota
    64: Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas

If I get those two, you can have whatever else you want.
    I was a Stromberg fan last pre-draft. A lot of football yet to be played before next draft season but he's my OC#1 at this point.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    1 (traded for Roquan Smith)
    2 WR Cedric Tillman, Tennessee
    3 OLB Andre Carter, Army
    4 RB Kendall Milton, Georgia
    5 P Michael Turk, Oklahoma
    6 NT Keondre Coburn, Texas
    7 OT Quinton Barrow, Grand Valley
    No interior O-linemen… ???

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I was a Stromberg fan last pre-draft. A lot of football yet to be played before next draft season but he's my OC#1 at this point.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

At this point it should be ALL offensive line. Obviously, unrealistic but maybe necessary.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    At this point it should be ALL offensive line. Obviously, unrealistic but maybe necessary.
    And somehow bring back Munchak and pay him whatever he wants.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    And somehow bring back Munchak and pay him whatever he wants.
    Wouldn't matter. Ramon Foster wasthe least talented of Munch's starting 5 and he was light years better than the current crop before Munch hit town.

The problem is lack of talent and ability.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

No interior O-linemen… ???
    I wrote that post before Saturday's debacle.

Now I would spend every single pick on the O-line, except still take that fifth round punter if Harvin doesn't have a good year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Wouldn't matter. Ramon Foster wasthe least talented of Munch's starting 5 and he was light years better than the current crop before Munch hit town.

The problem is lack of talent and ability.
    I disagree about the Big Ragu. He was easily our best pass blocker.

Back to the draft…

As much as I’d like Joey Porter, Jr. … I honestly think that it needs to be:

32: Nick Broeker, OG, Ole Miss
    64: one of the aforementioned centers

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I disagree about the Big Ragu. He was easily our best pass blocker.

Back to the draft…

As much as I’d like Joey Porter, Jr. … I honestly think that it needs to be:

32: Nick Broeker, OG, Ole Miss
    64: one of the aforementioned centers
    The dolphins don't have a first round pick this year,so it would be the 31st pick!

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...ty-of-the-game

Elgton Jenkins is unhappy in Green Bay. I'd throw a truckload of money at him.

Then, I draft a LG and a C in R1 and R2.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Joey Jr. did not look like first round talent last night against Purdue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Joey Jr. did not look like first round talent last night against Purdue.
    Regardless, we need O-line more than a corner.

Senior Member Array title="BEERgods225 has a spectacular aura about">

Regardless, we need O-line more than a corner.
    Mason Cole is a decent temporary fix at OC, I say that because it would appear that of the 8 OL men on the 53.... He is playing the best of the bunch.... That being said, OC is not my first gut reaction unless one falls. at OT Chuks is horrible and should never have been resigned. OT Dan Moore is even worse. then at OG, last years OC/G is so bad that he's not even active today vs. Cincy. We do need OL with at least the next eight or nine draft picks we have. smh. (How did it get so bad.) Without TJ Watt, it's hard to think we'll be drafting at 31 in 2023 but here is what I'm looking at right now.

Can someone make it possible to draft a new OC (Offensive Coordinator) ours is the worst in the entire league/country/planet. Cincy figured out by the second quarter that they no longer needed to cover 6+ yards down field and stacked 11 men in the box to stop the "Rushing Attack" LOL. (Sorry, I can't say Rushing attack without laughing.) Until they change OC's, Najee is just a first round decoy.

1 CB Joey Porter Jr. Penn State

2 OT Zion Nelson Miami

3 OG/C Warren Ericson Georgia

4 ILB Avery Roberts Oregon St.

5 Traded to Seattle in 2021 - CB Ahkello Whitherspoon

6 Traded to Denver in 2022 - OLB Malik Reed

7 TE Davis Allen Clemson

7 (f/ Den) See above trade RB Mohamed Ibrahim Minnesota

* Comp picks for 2023 still unknown until next year, post season.

@BEERgods

As much as I’d like a top-tier CB, I think it HAS to be O-line in R1.

I think that Dotson can recover with better coaching; he was the second-highest-rated rookie O-lineman in his draft class. He needs to move to RG, though.

I think that Moore has potential, as well… but needs to move to LG or RT. Since Chukks isn’t going anywhere, let’s plug Moore in at LG.

That leaves LT and C… R1 and R2.

I don't have an issue with RD1 & 2 being OL (We need about 8 new OL player, a Coordinator, and a decent OL Coach) if the players are there to draft without reaching but it would appear that the team doesn't particularly appear to care about the OL. Sure they drafted Pouncey & DeCastro in the first, Mike Adams in the 2nd, and Gilbert in the third.... like a dozen years ago but our last two LT's came from the UDFA ranks, Dotson's a 6th, Chuks is a mid rounder but an extreme bust and worthless roster filler. I don't see the team caring enough about the OL to want to draft a player in the first round.

If they refuse to take OL I like the available talent at the CB position that could be there with Ricks, Ringo, and Porter Jr.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Dawson in round2, Pouncey in round1. If the Steelers do not draft a LB, OT, or DL in the 1st round 2023, I believe it will be a franchise Center. Just my opinion but the only way that becomes no chance is if Cole becomes that franchise Center.

Quote Originally Posted by BEERgods225 View Post
    I don't have an issue with RD1 & 2 being OL (We need about 8 new OL player, a Coordinator, and a decent OL Coach) if the players are there to draft without reaching but it would appear that the team doesn't particularly appear to care about the OL. Sure they drafted Pouncey & DeCastro in the first, Mike Adams in the 2nd, and Gilbert in the third.... like a dozen years ago but our last two LT's came from the UDFA ranks, Dotson's a 6th, Chuks is a mid rounder but an extreme bust and worthless roster filler. I don't see the team caring enough about the OL to want to draft a player in the first round.

If they refuse to take OL I like the available talent at the CB position that could be there with Ricks, Ringo, and Porter Jr.
    Two of the first three picks need to be O-line.
    The other can be a CB.

Maybe we can get Nebraska's OC.

Dawson in round2, Pouncey in round1. If the Steelers do not draft a LB, OT, or DL in the 1st round 2023, I believe it will be a franchise Center. Just my opinion but the only way that becomes no chance is if Cole becomes that franchise Center.
    I'd like that.

Not going to even attempt a mock at this time of the season. Most of these prospects still have eligibility for another college season, and with NIL and such maybe not as anxious to leave for the NFL as in the past. Just a watch/wish list for future consideration.

Ricky Stromberg at Arkansas. Depending on which site you're reading, 6'3"/6'4"-310lbs/315lbs. This will be his 3rd season as the Hogs Center.

Darnell Wright at Tennessee. 6'5"-325lbs-335lbs. He's a RT in the NFL. I honestly can't remember the last time the Steelers actually invested at the RT position.

Ryan Hayes LT at Michigan. 6'5"/6'7"-310lbs/315lbs. This season will tell a lot. Starting his 2nd season as the full time starter at LT. Held up well vs GA in the CFP last season, impressive.

At the OG positions I like guys with road grader mentality and prowess and the mobility to pull in either direction. Jarrett Patterson of ND fits that mold. Plus zero sacks allowed for his career to this point.

ILB prospect Jackson Mitchell is a junior player at UConn. Jim Mora Jr is the current coach at UConn.
    Mora has had several noteworthy LBs during his coaching career and Mitchell looks like another one to watch this season and see how he ranks at draft time.

Another ILB prospect most won't get to watch much is Tulane Sr Dorian Williams.

FSU Sr ILB Amari Gainer. 197 tackles in 39 games prior to this season. This should be his first year as the official starter.

Not going to even attempt a mock at this time of the season. Most of these prospects still have eligibility for another college season, and with NIL and such maybe not as anxious to leave for the NFL as in the past. Just a watch/wish list for future consideration.

Ricky Stromberg at Arkansas. Depending on which site you're reading, 6'3"/6'4"-310lbs/315lbs. This will be his 3rd season as the Hogs Center.

Darnell Wright at Tennessee. 6'5"-325lbs-335lbs. He's a RT in the NFL. I honestly can't remember the last time the Steelers actually invested at the RT position.

Ryan Hayes LT at Michigan. 6'5"/6'7"-310lbs/315lbs. This season will tell a lot. Starting his 2nd season as the full time starter at LT. Held up well vs GA in the CFP last season, impressive.

At the OG positions I like guys with road grader mentality and prowess and the mobility to pull in either direction. Jarrett Patterson of ND fits that mold. Plus zero sacks allowed for his career to this point.
    Stromberg and Patterson in the draft would improve our interior O-line. Add a LT via free agency, and our O-line is suddenly pretty good.

Add whatever you want, as long as Canada is still on the coaching staff, it won't help anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BEERgods225 View Post
    Add whatever you want, as long as Canada is still on the coaching staff, it won't help anything.
    This is what was missing from draft talk. Maybe someone should start a thread dedicated to talking about our current situation and offense.

This is what was missing from draft talk. Maybe someone should start a thread dedicated to talking about our current situation and offense.
    I love this post. Just the right amount of spice.

Joey Porter, Jr. is once again looking like a R1 prospect… and our corners are good, but not good enough to keep up with the likes of Ja’Marr Chase.

Porter’s stats thus far:
    21 targets
    9 receptions (decent)
    9 pass breakups (outstanding)

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Porter Jr is a easy player to circle as a potential Steeler because of this teams obsessions with NFL bloodlines. Maybe that changes with the new FO but we'll see.

Hopefully they make some postseason play and see him against other conference powers.

Three things:

1. Re-sign Edmunds. When he went out, the secondary fell apart.

2. We need a top-tier CB.

3. The O-line is playing better. Maybe only two OL need to be added... which is good, because we need an ILB who can cover.

SUMMATION:
    R1: CB
    R2: OL
    R3: ILB
    R4: OL