Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New look offense

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

New look offense

How different will this offense be compared to last season?

I'm looking forward to Trubisky or Pickett not throwing to their first read 90% of the time. Whether that's for the better or worse...it needs to happen. The passing game should be funner to watch, as a result. Trubisky and Pickett should take a few more shots down field and get a lot more "splash" plays that we haven't witnessed for a couple seasons it seems.

I'm also looking forward to an improved running game. The zone read should now be a threat...opening up a few more lanes for Harris. The vertical passing game should also benefit Harris and company. Najee is going to have a big year and he looked in great shape at minicamp. I think the OL will play with a chip on their shoulder and show a lot of improvement.

All in all, the offense may be worse before it gets better, but I look for them to hit their stride around the midway point and for Kenny Pickett to be the man sooner rather than later. It will be an exciting season with all the new faces on offense.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: New look offense

I’m not sold on any improvement to the O-Line and I think that will show...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    James Daniels is a major upgrade at RG.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I agree that KP will be the man at some point. That’s when we’ll hopefully start looking like a pro offense. I think the MT version will look like a college offense.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I wouldn't say I'm sold...BUT, I expect Dan Moore to be better. A healthy Dotson will improve the LG spot. Daniels improves the RG spot. I know absolutely nothing about this new Center, and I have not been impressed with Chuks. For me that's 3 improvements and 2 meh.

The concern for me is rebuilding the OL while bringing in a new QB(possibly 2) all in the same year. It isn't an ideal way to start but there are worse scenarios. We have the weapons on offense to be amazing. Just have to wait and see what Canada can do with them.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

As long as Canada has figured out how to scheme the WRs open it will be better, if he hasn’t, it will be a sackfest

It depends on whose under center. If it is Pickett, then I sincerely want a return to three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust for the next year or two. It's not that I'm sold on that type of football being the winning formula in today's NFL, but I am sold on that style of football being the best way to take pressure off a young QB and letting him develop into a good NFL QB.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

The offense around the QB should be better. But we’re going to have inconsistency with Trubisky at the helm. We could have real trouble for instance against a healthy Ravens defense. MT has had difficulty with good defenses. Agree that there’s a good chance KP takes over at some point in the season and hopefully the offense improves.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Pickettrubisky will need Najee, Muth, DJ and Claypool to bail them out from time to time and we need the defense to return to 2019 form. Oline will be the key of course.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

lets HOPE when the season rolls around there actually is a new offense because the last couple have sucked
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Honestly I've never been excited about Trubisky, I don't think he'll show anything more than what he showed in Chicago, which would be a rank 15-20 QB as his ceiling. Hoping Pickett will be the starter out of the gate, he should be if he's anywhere near Trubisky's effectiveness out of training camp.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I wouldn't say I'm sold...BUT, I expect Dan Moore to be better. A healthy Dotson will improve the LG spot. Daniels improves the RG spot. I know absolutely nothing about this new Center, and I have not been impressed with Chuks. For me that's 3 improvements and 2 meh.

The concern for me is rebuilding the OL while bringing in a new QB(possibly 2) all in the same year. It isn't an ideal way to start but there are worse scenarios. We have the weapons on offense to be amazing. Just have to wait and see what Canada can do with them.
    It’s too many “ifs” for me to buy into it. I need to see it first. Center is still a major concern for me as well.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Canada is supposedly know for a lot of pre-snap motion to get the defense to either show their hand early so the QB know where to go with the ball, or to maybe create a mismatch for the offense, or maybe create enough confusion on the defense that you catch them out of position and flat-footed.

All that said, NFL defenses are typically smart and better disciplined to assignment and better at passing responsibility based on the offenses alignment and/or personnel. Typically.

BUT, this is also the very thing that will get you a much needed 1st down or expose a player or area of the field for a big play. His philosophy is good at learning how the defense is trying to play you. It will not be effective 100% of the time, more likely 25% of the time. I think the offense over the last 3 seasons has had success about 10% of the time and had a veteran QB that saved a lot of unsuccessful plays.

Basically, I don't expect some great change in offensive success rate and efficiency. I do think we will see something new that will work better as a system compared to recent years. Less 'WOW' factor and more by design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCiPPHl94V8
    This clip explains it a bit better than I can.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

As long as they have a QB who can actually make accurate 10-yard throws so we don't have to abandon the middle of the field, the offense is going to look completely different.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Well everything that was promised in 2021 never showed...play action, "pre-snap motion", etc. The plays they ran, weren't designed to throw in the middle of the field. Nothing really even targeted the mid to deep middle.

As soon as you see that dopey shotgun wrap around draw play, you know this offense is in the shitter again.

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

One thing that nobody has mentioned yet(sorry if I missed it) is the way our team looks going into game one.....nobody has an in ch of film on this team. We will be an enigma for at least a few games until the minds figure us out. It is going to be a VERY different team both in players and in schemes.

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

I'd love to see a major dose of run heavy offense. Maybe not as the team's ultimate identity, but to establish that they can, in fact, be a threat to run the ball.

You can see from these pics how the defense sat in a line across the field(Chiefs with 4 at the 35) because of the lack of protection, and the lack of deep speed by the offense. The Steelers now have speed. Do they have protection is a valid question. A power run game would move those defenders closer allowing plays over the top. There are still many 'IFs', as you stated before. I'm going to be optimistic until I have reason to not be though.

Right now all we have is wait and see. There are times when the play called was perfect and the execution was the problem as well. It's definitely not an all or none situation with this offense. Lots to work on, lots of practice snaps ahead, and finding the right combination of personnel could also be key. I'm actually looking forward to watching the process. If they just come out blowing teams away from the start , I'll take it, but how boring really. I have been fortunate enough that I have had kids go from being afraid of contact on day1/year1 to can't wait to get the pads on and start drills and become the players you count on. I have seen patients where I work go from unable to walk under their own power to getting their life back and joining a gym or even a 'pickleball' league. There is satisfaction with the end result, but this process is the fun part for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bendsteel View Post
    One thing that nobody has mentioned yet(sorry if I missed it) is the way our team looks going into game one.....nobody has an in ch of film on this team. We will be an enigma for at least a few games until the minds figure us out. It is going to be a VERY different team both in players and in schemes.

Worked for an 11-0 run to start the season just recently.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

JC Tretter is still out there. I really wish we would sign him as our starting center and move the other new pieces where they belong.

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    JC Tretter is still out there. I really wish we would sign him as our starting center and move the other new pieces where they belong.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

looking forward to more play action and less shotgun with those predictable quick outs. Last years offense was probably all Ben's preferences. No more excuses for Canada this year - its make or break.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Najee behind Daniels… 4 yards

Repeat 25 times per game

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Repeat 25 times per game
    425 carries? That's a new NFL record!!

Member Array title="Istina has a spectacular aura about">

It would be nearly impossible for the offensive line to be more offensive than they were last year. I can't see how the line doesn't improve, Moore has a year's experience, Green won't be the center, the guards should be better and Chuks is a vet but the biggest change will be a relatively mobile quarterback regardless of who it is, Trubisky, Pickett or Rudolph. The defense knowing exactly where Ben was going to be every time he dropped back was a huge advantage for them, he could barely step up into the pocket, let alone avoid any type of rush and this made the whole offense predictable. I'm expecting an improvement enough to the point where the defense will be a top 5-7 defense because the number of 3 and outs will be reduced and there will be drives that last more than 6 plays.

Its going to be an exciting year for Steeler football, enjoy it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Lets hope not that would take running the wheels off to a whole new level.

I would love for another RB to take 5-7 of those carries. Alas, as it currently stands, it would look like this:

Repeat 18-20 times per game for 70-80 yards

Benny Snell behind Daniels… for 1 yard
    Repeat 5-7 times per game… for 5-7 yards

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I would love for another RB to take 5-7 of those carries. Alas, as it currently stands, it would look like this:

Repeat 18-20 times per game for 70-80 yards

Benny Snell behind Daniels… for 1 yard
    Repeat 5-7 times per game… for 5-7 yards
    Snell and Najee both had the same exact YPC as rookies -- 3.9. There's that

Snell and Najee both had the same exact YPC as rookies -- 3.9. There's that
    Snell seems to have gotten worse by 0.6 yards per carry per season.

3.9… 3.3… 2.7… and thus, I expect 2.1.