Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New look offense

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: New look offense

It’s only one day of football in shorts, but…

James Daniels = stud

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    It’s only one day of football in shorts, but…

James Daniels = stud
    What’s the report? Exciting stuff? Too lazy to find it for myself

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    What’s the report? Exciting stuff? Too lazy to find it for myself
    With pleasure.

From a smattering of various reports from those at camp, Daniels was every bit as advertised. Yes, it was just drills. Yes, it was football on shorts. But, as most stated: Daniels “stood out”. As one person said: “Haven't seen an O-lineman move like that since DeCastro.”

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

With pleasure.

From a smattering of various reports from those at camp, Daniels was every bit as advertised. Yes, it was just drills. Yes, it was football on shorts. But, as most stated: Daniels “stood out”. As one person said: “Haven't seen an O-lineman move like that since DeCastro.”
    Awesome!

I know guys can’t move positions as readily as fans would like, BUT…I still would love to see some combination of Daniels flanked by Dotson and Green. I think that could be a really athletic interior OL.

Then Cole fills the LeGlue/Hassenhauer role.

But what I know about OL wouldn’t fill a thimble.

Awesome!

I know guys can’t move positions as readily as fans would like, BUT…I still would love to see some combination of Daniels flanked by Dotson and Green. I think that could be a really athletic interior OL.

Accordijg to Madden23, that is indeed the interior:

Green - Daniels - Dotson

Green has stated that he’s primarily playing LG, and Dotson was a RG in college. Sooo…

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Accordijg to Madden23, that is indeed the interior:

Green - Daniels - Dotson

Green has stated that he’s primarily playing LG, and Dotson was a RG in college. Sooo…
    Cole ???

I'm all for putting the best 5 on the field ............

if the passing stats from practice 1 is any indication that line better be BOSS because Harris is gonna have to rush 500 times
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Awesome!

Green don't like playing center...In his rookie year at least

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

They forgot to mention penalties!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    They forgot to mention penalties!

- - - Updated - - -
    False start,number 18,5 yards penalties repeat first (or second or third) down!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Cole ???

I'm all for putting the best 5 on the field ............
    If Cole is playing, then he’s the center and Green is the primary backup.

If Daniels moves to center, that would allow Green to see the field… which (IMO) would be our best 5.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

If Cole is playing, then he’s the center and Green is the primary backup.

If Daniels moves to center, that would allow Green to see the field… which (IMO) would be our best 5.

on paper perhaps but I am still not sold on Green until he proves he can play at this level his arms are on the short side and he got pushed around a lot last year ... perhaps the combination of shorter arms and having ball responsibility slowed his ability to get first hands and consequently was redirected before he could gain anchor ..

I guess we shall see

on paper perhaps but I am still not sold on Green until he proves he can play at this level his arms are on the short side and he got pushed around a lot last year ... perhaps the combination of shorter arms and having ball responsibility slowed his ability to get first hands and consequently was redirected before he could gain anchor ..

I guess we shall see
    I’m hopeful… because we have one year of Green playing a new position.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I would hope so

the better question would be does he have the play calling ability ...he has the tools but does he know how to use them to best take advantage of defenses

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

the better question would be does he have the play calling ability ...he has the tools but does he know how to use them to best take advantage of defenses
    I would say no.

nothing I have seen from Matt Canada or his offense so far makes me think he's qualified to be a legit NFL OC.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Has there been any “innovation” into the offense since Matt Canada arrived?

When Todd Haley arrived, you could see a difference in the offense from when Arians ran the offense. When Fichtner “arrived”, there were some distinct differences (in the wrong direction) that you could see from Haley to Fichtner. What changed from Fichtner to Canada?

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Has there been any “innovation” into the offense since Matt Canada arrived?

When Todd Haley arrived, you could see a difference in the offense from when Arians ran the offense. When Fichtner “arrived”, there were some distinct differences (in the wrong direction) that you could see from Haley to Fichtner. What changed from Fichtner to Canada?
    Nothing so far,outside of the Jet sweep....Maybe we will see a difference this year with Ben out but our last 2 OC(Canada and Fichtner) are not NFL caliber.At least Fichtner had a good year on offense in 2018 even if it was not perfect

For me Ken Whisenhunt was the best steelers OC since 2004

After that I was one of those who loved Bruce Arians as OC....He was aggressive and Roethlisberger's toughness had very good value under his system....Ben only missed 2 games in 5 years under Arians due to injury

For Haley, even if I was frustrated by his play calling at times, he did a good job and it was a good fit with Ben because of his age...He couldn't have the same number of hits he had with Arians because he was older...And Haley was more balanced for the short, medium and deep pass

The last two was just terrible unless Canada changes that this year

Go back and look at the TC and preseason reporting on the motion based play action offense that Rudolph and Haskins were running last off season. That’s the closest we’ve seen to Canada’s offense. Then the regular season came along and they just ran the Old Man Ben R offense.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Younger arms and the plethora of weapons should help make this year's offense more explosive and dynamic than last year's. Even if they struggle at times it should be better.

IF...DJ at the X with Pickens rotating, Freiermuth and Claypool playing in the middle, Boykin/Austin III at the Z spot. How is somebody not open on any given play?

Najee is 6'1" and 232lbs. Warren is only 5'8" but 215lbs/McNichols at 5'9" and 215lbs. Snell and Master Teague come in at 5'11"ish and 220lbs. Those are some big boys should they get into the open field.

Even the smaller RBs bring some punch. McFarland who was completely forgotten last season and the rookie Mataeo Durant are just under 200lbs.

Granted not all of these players will make the final 53 most likely but my point remains. This offense has the ingredients to be a very dynamic group. The question remains of who will lead this group but all you need is already there.

I don't think the fact that this offense is struggling against this defense in TC is all that shocking or worrisome. After all, iron sharpens iron and all that. I wonder what TC looked like with Bradshaw, Franco, and co. going up against the Steel Curtain. I would wager tough sledding.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Was Canada holding the offense back or was it Ben? That’s the question. I think we’ll get an answer pretty soon.

I never liked the fact that we never ran play action or didn’t use our high priced FB except on special teams. Let’s see if those kinds of things take shape this year

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Was Canada holding the offense back or was it Ben? That’s the question. I think we’ll get an answer pretty soon.

I never liked the fact that we never ran play action or didn’t use our high priced FB except on special teams. Let’s see if those kinds of things take shape this year
    My guess is that it was both.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    My guess is that it was both.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post

Canada's offense is predicated on motion, using the entire field, and the threat of the quarterback becoming part of the run game if not defended.

Last year, Ben certainly wasn't the best fit in that offense and he was limited physically. Canada was unable to orchestrate an offense with the players he had available to him. The offense operated best when Ben was controlling everything.

With Ben gone and, presumably, a QB that fits his offensive scheme in place...we should see a more cohesive game plan and a method to the madness. It is why most of the conversation has been about Trubisky and Pickett. They fit the offense Canada wants to run more than Rudolph does.

We should also see things in the regular season that they don't show in preseason. Most teams don't generally put their quarterbacks at risk in meaningless games. We really won't see everything we want to see or the full potential of the offense until real bullets are flying.
    Last edited by pczach; 08-07-2022 at 07:25 AM.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Canada's offense is predicated on motion, using the entire field, and the threat of the quarterback becoming part of the run game if not defended.

Last year, Ben certainly wasn't the best fit in that offense and he was limited physically. Canada was unable to orchestrate an offense with the players he had available to him. The offense operated best when Ben was controlling everything.

With Ben gone and, presumably, a QB that fits his offensive scheme in place...we should see a more cohesive game plan and a method to the madness. It is why most of the conversation has been about Trubisky and Pickett. They fit the offense Canada wants to run more than Rudolph does.

We should also see things in the regular season that they don't show in preseason. Most teams don't generally put there quarterbacks at risk in meaningless games. We really won't see everything we want to see or the full potential of the offense until real bullets are flying.
    So it’s just a dumb move to bring Canada in as an OC to begin with if they don’t have the proper personnel in place.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

So it’s just a dumb move to bring Canada in as an OC to begin with if they don’t have the proper personnel in place.
    Shmaybe. I could post a bunch of my tortured thinking. But I’ll spare everyone that.

If Canada is the guy you want running your post Ben QB offense then bringing him to “oversee” Ben’s last rodeo isn’t the worst idea.

They could’ve brought in any OC you could imagine last year and I truly believe the offense looks roughly the same.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

you could argue it was dumber to not get a better line to protect Ben (like going center instead of RB in the 1st round, and getting a competent LT in FA to replace AV)

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Proper personnel for Canada would be a D2 college program.