Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New look offense

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: New look offense

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Snell seems to have gotten worse by 0.6 yards per carry per season.

3.9… 3.3… 2.7… and thus, I expect 2.1.
    To be fair, our OL has degraded each of those years as well, not saying Snell is great or anything.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Snell seems to have gotten worse by 0.6 yards per carry per season.

3.9… 3.3… 2.7… and thus, I expect 2.1.
    Let's hope Najee doesn't follow the same pattern...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    To be fair, our OL has degraded each of those years as well, not saying Snell is great or anything.
    True… the O-line got worse. That said, Najee averaged 3.9 (versus 2.7) behind that same abysmal line.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Let's hope Najee doesn't follow the same pattern...
    Nah… he’s going to get better. As I pointed out during the season, Najee was trying to do too much and/or he didn’t trust his blocking. When Najee went north-south, he did very well. With Daniels, Najee will have plenty of opportunities to follow a lead blocker (who excels at going north-south).

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I would love for another RB to take 5-7 of those carries. Alas, as it currently stands, it would look like this:

Najee behind Daniels… 4 yards
    Repeat 18-20 times per game for 70-80 yards

Benny Snell behind Daniels… for his PATENTED 1 yard gain.
    Repeat 5-7 times per game… for 5-7 yards
    There I fixed it.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Nah… he’s going to get better. As I pointed out during the season, Najee was trying to do too much and/or he didn’t trust his blocking. When Najee went north-south, he did very well. With Daniels, Najee will have plenty of opportunities to follow a lead blocker (who excels at going north-south).
    I'm hopeful of the same. As long as the Steelers don't go crazy and sign him to a high-dollar second contract. We've all seen where that leads. Run his wheels off for 5 years and replace him. Might not seem fair to the RB, but all RBs know the drill from High School forward these days. I would never encourage my son to be a RB if he was super athletic.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I'm hopeful of the same. As long as the Steelers don't go crazy and sign him to a high-dollar second contract. We've all seen where that leads. Run his wheels off for 5 years and replace him. Might not seem fair to the RB, but all RBs know the drill from High School forward these days. I would never encourage my son to be a RB if he was super athletic.
    Indeed Run him and replace him. It’s a heartless business.

And that’s why I encourage my kids to take up golf… you can play into your 80s.

You're a genius (I guess you already knew that).

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I would encourage my son to take up woman's (sorry birthing persons) swimming! He ... err she ... they will dominate!

You're a genius (I guess you already knew that).
    I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night…

True… the O-line got worse. That said, Najee averaged 3.9 (versus 2.7) behind that same abysmal line.

- - - Updated - - -

Najee was ranked the 8th best back in the league yesterday. That’s high praise IMO. I hope he climbs up to 3-4 by season’s end.

Najee was ranked the 8th best back in the league yesterday. That’s high praise IMO. I hope he climbs up to 3-4 by season’s end.
    Derrick Henry, Nick Chubb, Christian McCaffrey, and Najee… I’ll take it.

The bolded part…

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I hope for more running play and more explosive passing play in offense

Is this realistic?

It will depend on the QB play but if the Steelers are not able to consistently make a pass that goes over the yellow line for the first down, like in the last 3 years, it will be painful to watch again

Much less bubble screen on the second or 3rd down and long or a draw with Snell would be great too

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    It depends on whose under center. If it is Pickett, then I sincerely want a return to three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust for the next year or two. It's not that I'm sold on that type of football being the winning formula in today's NFL, but I am sold on that style of football being the best way to take pressure off a young QB and letting him develop into a good NFL QB.
    It's the worst way to develop a QB, even 2004 was not like that

Yes, the Steelers ran a lot (one big reason was because the Steelers had the lead most of the time), but when it was pass play, it was often for a deep shot, not for a checkdown!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

are we really going to use a lot of 3TEs, 1 RB and only 1 WR formations?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    are we really going to use a lot of 3TEs, 1 RB and only 1 WR formations?

I hope not.Put the best players on the field the more often possible!

Gentry is their second TE and I have no idea who is our 3rd TE,so if DJ is our number 1 WR,I prefer to see Claypool and our 2 rookie WR on the field the more often possible that Gentry.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I hope not.Put the best players on the field the more often possible!

Gentry is their second TE and I have no idea who is our 3rd TE,so if DJ is our number 1 WR,I prefer to see Claypool and our 2 rookie WR on the field the more often possible that Gentry.
    They drafted Heyward for formations like this.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    They drafted Heyward for formations like this.
    If they are relying on a draft pick to make or break this offense, they’re screwed…lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    If they are relying on a draft pick to make or break this offense, they’re screwed…lol
    Yeah...I hate so much when the steelers use this formation.This is since Todd Haley was our OC.It was always 2 running plays in the middle in front of a defensive wall for the opposing defense and the steelers were almost always on 3rd down and 8 or something like that

The only time I remember it working was a drive against the dolphins in the wild card game in 2016

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Canada was most likely going to run it without Connor but he was drafted cause he was the type of player that fits that scheme.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

How do our line and weapons compare to what Trubisky had in Chicago?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    How do our line and weapons compare to what Trubisky had in Chicago?
    Outside of Allen Robinson,he had almost nothing in Chicago.Also if this is Trubisky our QB,I believe our running game could be much better because of his legs.It was a huge difference for the running game of the bears in 2020 when it was him the starter.Of course his arm is the reason why he was a backup last year.....6.7 yards per pass attempts in his career is not good

It's the worst way to develop a QB, even 2004 was not like that

Yes, the Steelers ran a lot (one big reason was because the Steelers had the lead most of the time), but when it was pass play, it was often for a deep shot, not for a checkdown!
    No, that's exactly how 2004 went You're thinking 2005 once Ben had a year under his belt and a tad more trust by the coaches.

I added up the runs and passes of the first eight games (I have to get back to work so I stopped there). Not counting any runs or passes when the Steelers had a significant lead in the 3rd or fourth quarter, or in the first Ravens game when they were coming from behind, here's what the numbers look like.

177 runs—none of which were second half take-the-air-out-of-the-football runs. (55 percent)
    145 runs—which include 2 minute drill and come-from-behind-must-air-out-football passes. (45 percent).

However, if you play this more evenly and take away the two minute scenarios (just as I removed the second-half run the clock out runs), that difference is even more pronounced.

165 runs 58 percent runs
    120 runs 42 percent passes.

I consider running the ball almost 60 percent of the time (while the game was undecided, minus 2 minute drill) in the modern era three yards and a cloud of dust football. Like I said, if memory serves, the following year played out more to your scenario of passing until they got the lead. In fact, again, if memory serves, that is exactly how the Steelers won every playoff game up to the SB. But, it took the coaches a year to get to that point of trusting Ben. I think that year really helped Ben as it wasn't all on him. That is exactly what I'd like to see with a young new QB as well. If we don't we're likely to see another 1980s-90s era or even worse, cycle through QBs like the Browns.

(RAW NUMBERS BELOW)

Starting with the first series he played against the Ravens
    Run, run, run, run, run.
    pass, pass (INT).
    Run, pass, run, run, pass.
    4th quarter, Ben starts passing as they are losing. Up to then, it is 8 runs, 4 passes.

Next game Dolphins (Hurricane Game - Expect a little run heavy here).
    Pass INT
    run, run, pass, pass, run, run, pass
    run, run, run, pass
    run, pass, pass, run run pass
    run, run, run, run, run, run, run,
    run, run, pass
    run, run, pass
    2 minute drill 2nd quarter - pass, run, pass, pass,
    run, run, run, pass
    run, pass, pass, run, pass.
    run, run, run,
    pass, run, pass, pass, run run pass, pass. (Steelers go up 13-3).
    Fourth quarter.
    all runs. expected, again, hurricane game and lead in fourth quarter.

33 runs listed, 21 passes (not counting fourth quarter when Steelers are up.

Game against Bungles
    Run, run, pass, pass
    Run (fumble)
    run, pass, run, run, run.
    Run, pass, pass, run run, pass, pass, pass run, run, pass.
    run, run, pass
    pass, run, pass, pass, pass.
    2 minute drill: run, run, pass, run, five passes.

3rd quarter
    run, pass, run,
    run, run, pass
    run, pass, pass, pass, run, run, run, pass, run, run, run, pass, run, run, (TD, Pittsburgh goes on top).
    Run, pass, run, run, run, run, run, pass.
    2 kneel downs

37 runs 29 passes (and steelers were down in the third quarter).

Game against the Browns
    Run, pass run
    run, pass, INT
    Run, run, run, pass, run, pass Steelers go into lead.
    run, run, pass
    pass, run, run, pass, pass, pass, pass
    2nd Q. 2 minute drill: Run, run, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass.
    run, run, run, passw, run, run, run, pass
    run, run, run, run, pass.
    All runs almost in fourth quarter, but steelers have 11 point lead.

23 runs, 21 passes (8 in 2 minute drill).

Dallas
    pass, run, run, pass, pass, run, pass.
    run, pass, run, pass, run, pass, pass, run, pass
    run, run, pass, run, run, pass.
    4 minute drill: pass, run, sack (pass) pass pass.
    Run, run, pass, run, run, run,
    pass, run, run, pass
    Steelers now down by 10 points. Run, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, run, run, pass.
    Steelers now down by 3. run, run, run, run, pass, pass.
    pass, pass, run, run, run, Steelers go up by 4, don't see ball again. End of game (they won, of course).

29 runs, 30 passes (steelers come from behind in third quarter).

New England
    Run, pass, pass,
    run, pass, pass
    run, run,
    pass, pass, pass, run, pass
    2nd quarter, steelers up 21-3. run, run, pass, run, run, pass
    run, pass, run, run, pass, pass, run, pass, pass
    2 minute drill: pass, pass, run, pass, run. pass.

3rd quarter. Pass, pass, pass, run.
    Almost all runs as steels are up from this point on.

24 runs 25 passes 4 in two minute drill

Eagles
    Pass, run, run, pass, run, run, run, run, pass, pass, run
    pass, run, run, pass, run, run, pass, run pass
    pass, run, pass, run, run, run, run, pass, pass. run. pass
    run, run, pass, run, pass,
    2 minute drill (steelers up 21-3 run, run,

3rd quarter, predominantly run.

23 runs, 15 passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    No, that's exactly how 2004 went You're thinking 2005 once Ben had a year under his belt and a tad more trust by the coaches.

I added up the runs and passes of the first eight games (I have to get back to work so I stopped there). Not counting any runs or passes when the Steelers had a significant lead in the 3rd or fourth quarter, or in the first Ravens game when they were coming from behind, here's what the numbers look like.

177 runs—none of which were second half take-the-air-out-of-the-football runs. (55 percent)
    145 runs—which include 2 minute drill and come-from-behind-must-air-out-football passes. (45 percent).

However, if you play this more evenly and take away the two minute scenarios (just as I removed the second-half run the clock out runs), that difference is even more pronounced.

165 runs 58 percent runs
    120 runs 42 percent passes.

I consider running the ball almost 60 percent of the time (while the game was undecided, minus 2 minute drill) in the modern era three yards and a cloud of dust football. Like I said, if memory serves, the following year played out more to your scenario of passing until they got the lead. In fact, again, if memory serves, that is exactly how the Steelers won every playoff game up to the SB. But, it took the coaches a year to get to that point of trusting Ben. I think that year really helped Ben as it wasn't all on him. That is exactly what I'd like to see with a young new QB as well. If we don't we're likely to see another 1980s-90s era or even worse, cycle through QBs like the Browns.

(RAW NUMBERS BELOW)

Starting with the first series he played against the Ravens
    Run, run, run, run, run.
    pass, pass (INT).
    Run, pass, run, run, pass.
    4th quarter, Ben starts passing as they are losing. Up to then, it is 8 runs, 4 passes.

Next game Dolphins (Hurricane Game - Expect a little run heavy here).
    Pass INT
    run, run, pass, pass, run, run, pass
    run, run, run, pass
    run, pass, pass, run run pass
    run, run, run, run, run, run, run,
    run, run, pass
    run, run, pass
    2 minute drill 2nd quarter - pass, run, pass, pass,
    run, run, run, pass
    run, pass, pass, run, pass.
    run, run, run,
    pass, run, pass, pass, run run pass, pass. (Steelers go up 13-3).
    Fourth quarter.
    all runs. expected, again, hurricane game and lead in fourth quarter.

33 runs listed, 21 passes (not counting fourth quarter when Steelers are up.

Game against Bungles
    Run, run, pass, pass
    Run (fumble)
    run, pass, run, run, run.
    Run, pass, pass, run run, pass, pass, pass run, run, pass.
    run, run, pass
    pass, run, pass, pass, pass.
    2 minute drill: run, run, pass, run, five passes.

3rd quarter
    run, pass, run,
    run, run, pass
    run, pass, pass, pass, run, run, run, pass, run, run, run, pass, run, run, (TD, Pittsburgh goes on top).
    Run, pass, run, run, run, run, run, pass.
    2 kneel downs

37 runs 29 passes (and steelers were down in the third quarter).

Game against the Browns
    Run, pass run
    run, pass, INT
    Run, run, run, pass, run, pass Steelers go into lead.
    run, run, pass
    pass, run, run, pass, pass, pass, pass
    2nd Q. 2 minute drill: Run, run, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass.
    run, run, run, passw, run, run, run, pass
    All runs almost in fourth quarter, but steelers have 11 point lead.

23 runs, 21 passes (8 in 2 minute drill).

Dallas
    pass, run, run, pass, pass, run, pass.
    run, pass, run, pass, run, pass, pass, run, pass
    4 minute drill: pass, run, sack (pass) pass pass.
    Run, run, pass, run, run, run,
    pass, run, run, pass
    Steelers now down by 10 points. Run, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, run, run, pass.
    Steelers now down by 3. run, run, run, run, pass, pass.
    pass, pass, run, run, run, Steelers go up by 4, don't see ball again. End of game (they won, of course).

29 runs, 30 passes (steelers come from behind in third quarter).

New England
    Run, pass, pass,
    run, pass, pass
    run, run,
    pass, pass, pass, run, pass
    2nd quarter, steelers up 21-3. run, run, pass, run, run, pass
    run, pass, run, run, pass, pass, run, pass, pass
    2 minute drill: pass, pass, run, pass, run. pass.

3rd quarter. Pass, pass, pass, run.
    Almost all runs as steels are up from this point on.

24 runs 25 passes 4 in two minute drill

Eagles
    Pass, run, run, pass, run, run, run, run, pass, pass, run
    pass, run, run, pass, run, run, pass, run pass
    pass, run, pass, run, run, run, run, pass, pass. run. pass
    run, run, pass, run, pass,
    2 minute drill (steelers up 21-3 run, run,

3rd quarter, predominantly run.

23 runs, 15 passes.

I mean, Ben had 8.9 yards per attempt in each of his first two seasons (only Peyton Manning was ahead of Ben in 2004, Ben was the NFL leader in 2005 in that category) and Ben also had 13.4 yards per completion in 2004 and over 14 yards by completion in 2005

When it was passing play, Ben could be very aggressive

True that 2005, the steelers had more passing play, especially in the playoffs but Ben was not handcuffed in 2004

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Outside of Allen Robinson,he had almost nothing in Chicago.Also if this is Trubisky our QB,I believe our running game could be much better because of his legs.It was a huge difference for the running game of the bears in 2020 when it was him the starter.Of course his arm is the reason why he was a backup last year.....6.7 yards per pass attempts in his career is not good
    If Ben had played Trubisky's games with the Chicago offense Tribusky would he have done any better?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    If Ben had played Trubisky's games with the Chicago offense Tribusky had would he have done any better?
    What version of Ben?...In his prime,he would been much better of course

This is sure that Chicago have never been a good situation for a QB but Trubisky was still one of the problem.

It's now very rare that we see a QB was bad and after he changes team or head coach and becomes much better

Foles and Jared Goff had their moment after they were awful under Jeff Fisher but after that they were terrible once again

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Tommy Maddox had a success pre-Ben here. I could see a Trubisky success in the same vein, then Pickett simply takes over. What was old is new once again.

Good analysis, but I was not really talking about the run pass ratio, but rather when it was a pass play, the steelers were not conservative

I mean, Ben had 8.9 yards per attempt in each of his first two seasons (only Peyton Manning was ahead of Ben in 2004, Ben was the NFL leader in 2005 in that category) and Ben also had 13.4 yards per completion in 2004 and over 14 yards by completion in 2005

When it was passing play, Ben could be very aggressive

True that 2005, the steelers had more passing play, especially in the playoffs but Ben was not handcuffed in 2004
    I wonder how much of that was Ben adlibbing. I mean, I can just see him in the huddle going, "Okay, we should, we should... screw it. Go long!"

That said, if what you're meaning is allowing a QB to throw the passes he's comfortable throwing rather than scheming for two yard passes like we saw a couple of years ago, then yeah, I'm with you on that.

Ouch,this is ugly.Ben was not the only problem last year!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Crossing routes but nothing in the middle of the field…say 10-15 yards or were they deeper crossers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Crossing routes but nothing in the middle of the field…say 10-15 yards or were they deeper crossers?
    Good question,I don't remember but I think it was for 15-20 yards

- - - Updated - - -

And Claypool was in the slot at lot today even without Diontae....