Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at James Harrison's Stats: Is He Worthy of the HOF?

Looking at James Harrison's Stats: Is He Worthy of the HOF?

I thought I’d offer up a thread . . . should James Harrison be in the Hall of Fame?

Here’s his career stats:
    84.5 sacks, he’d be the third lowest sack total in the HOF for defensive players.
    34 forced fumbles. He’d be the seventh highest player in forced fumbles in the HOF.
    117 Solo tackles. He’d be the tenth highest, tied with Troy P.

For playoff stats, things look a little different.
    11 sacks, he’d be tied for third highest (LaMarr Woodley has the same amount, interestingly).
    No forced fumbles in the playoffs
    67 solo tackles, which would put him in fourth place, tied with Rod Woodson.

He also has two SB wrings, AP all pro twice, Defensive player of the year once, player of the week 7 times, player of the month 2 times, and 2nd team all pro two times. Finally, he has perhaps one of the greatest plays in NFL Super Bowl history.

Also, take into account his career really didn’t take off until his fifth year in the league, but from 2007 through 20011, he was perhaps the most feared defensive player in the NFL, and one of the top five or seven most dominant players (Troy P. and Ed Reed being tied for one and two, I’d argue).

So, what do you all think? Should those stats and facts put him in the HOF? (Figured I'd ask in light of complaints about this board being dead).

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Looking at James Harrison's Stats: Is He Worthy of the HOF?

I think he should mostly based off the fact he was probably the most feared player in the league during his time. His TD in the super bowl was huge, I don't think the Steelers in that game without that play, it was a 10-14 point swing.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

As you noted, the one factor working against James Harrison is that that he was not a starter in the league for several years at the beginning of his NFL career. I think a case can be made that he should go in the hall based on extremely dominant play over just a few years, but if he had another highly productive 3 years on his resume I think he would be a shoo-in for the hall of fame.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Without looking, who isn’t in the Hall of Fame that compares to him and who is in that has similar production? That’s probably the first two things I would look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Without looking, who isn’t in the Hall of Fame that compares to him and who is in that has similar production? That’s probably the first two things I would look at.
    Sometimes looking at stats of production really isnt a good barometer in my opinion. Its tougher to pile up some stats on defense, based on longevity like a RB for instance. Like a case can be made for Fred Taylor due to his production as a RB, but I honestly never thought of Fred Taylor a a HOF type of running back.

In the case of Harrison, he was a DPOY and dominant force on defense for long enough that I think he could be in the HOF. But again because early on in his career he was finding his way onto a roster and then a backup LB, he may not have the stats to compare. I think he should make it.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Sometimes looking at stats of production really isnt a good barometer in my opinion. Its tougher to pile up some stats on defense, based on longevity like a RB for instance. Like a case can be made for Fred Taylor due to his production as a RB, but I honestly never thought of Fred Taylor a a HOF type of running back.

In the case of Harrison, he was a DPOY and dominant force on defense for long enough that I think he could be in the HOF. But again because early on in his career he was finding his way onto a roster and then a backup LB, he may not have the stats to compare. I think he should make it.
    That’s kind of what I mean. I would look at similar type players and see if/if not I the HOF.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Harrison deserves to be in the HoF for his production and how he forced other teams to game plan around him. Notwithstanding, the NFL may try to keep him out because he created a lot of injuries and had a bad reputation not necessarily deserving.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Harrison deserves to be in the HoF for his production and how he forced other teams to game plan around him. Notwithstanding, the NFL may try to keep him out because he created a lot of injuries and had a bad reputation not necessarily deserving.
    Plus some writers think there are already too many Steelers that have gone into the Hall of Fame, so I think that also works against some Steelers players. Polamalu was a no brainer and had to get elected, and I imagine the same will be true of Ben when it is his time. I thought Faneca should have gone in quickly, but it took a few years for him to finally get enshrined.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

His stats make him borderline, but the eye test tells you he was one of the most impactful players and dominant players of his time.

I see James Harrison as an even more dominant defensive version of RB Terrell Davis on offense.

I know I'm biased, but I believe he deserves it because of his dominance. Players that are so imposing and physically dominant that there are rules made to fundamentally change the game show how impactful they really are.

He should definitely be in IMO.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Shhort and simple............. YES... he belongs in the HOF.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

He and LC should be in there. Similar stats and accolades, main difference is James' defensive player of the Year award

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Well, if Boselli can make it in why can't Harrison?

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    His stats make him borderline, but the eye test tells you he was one of the most impactful players and dominant players of his time.

I see James Harrison as an even more dominant defensive version of RB Terrell Davis on offense.

I know I'm biased, but I believe he deserves it because of his dominance. Players that are so imposing and physically dominant that there are rules made to fundamentally change the game show how impactful they really are.

He should definitely be in IMO.
    Good point about Terrell Davis. If he is in, any player with a decent career should be eligible. Harrison also has one of the best plays in Super Bowl history to add to that resume. When you tell the story of the NFL/Pittsburgh Steelers over those years you can’t tell it without mentioning Harrison’s name several times.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

the biggest stumbling block for Harrison I believe is ......

A member of the NFL 2000’s All-Decade Team, Joey Porter had a very productive run in the National Football League, especially with the Pittsburgh Steelers where he won a Super Bowl Ring. The four-time Pro Bowl Linebacker fell two Sacks shy of the 100 mark and would be regarded as one of the dirtiest defensive players of his time, but definitely someone you wanted on your side.
    Porter 98 sacks played ahead of Harrison for 5 years so many would question how does His backup get in when he himself isnt in ...

Personally I believe Harrison to be the better player that happenstance had him playing for a coaching staff that LOVED its proven Vets and took less risks with less proven players even though it was evident that they could play ... Remember Harrisons first start ??? I do ......... Joey Porter got into a pregame altercation and was ejected ... in comes Harrison and the Beat was unleashed for the first time ..
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

If James Harrison got in the hall of fame, he is essentially going the Terrell Davis route. Harrison of course had a much longer career but his impact/stats as Peezy's back up and on the tail end of his career will do little to bump his HOF chances. In short: 2 Hyper impactful players that had pretty short careers as starters (in their prime). These type of players make for some of the more fascinating discussions about the hall of fame:

James Harrison:
    2× Super Bowl champion (XL, XLIII)
    NFL Defensive Player of the Year (2008)
    2× First-team All-Pro (2008, 2010)
    2× Second-team All-Pro (2007, 2009)
    5× Pro Bowl (2007–2011)
    NFL forced fumbles leader (2008)

Terrell Davis:
    2× Super Bowl champion (XXXII, XXXIII)
    Super Bowl MVP (XXXII)
    NFL Most Valuable Player (1998)
    2× NFL Offensive Player of the Year (1996, 1998)
    3× First-team All-Pro (1996–1998)
    3× Pro Bowl (1996–1998)
    NFL rushing yards leader (1998)
    2× NFL rushing touchdowns leader (1997, 1998)
    All-Rookie Team (1995)
    NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
    Pro Football Hall of Fame

And of course there are the interesting and more obscure stats from Craic. Albeit for some reason I get the inkling that the low sack total is going to stand out to the HOF panel the most. Kind of makes you wish Jarvis Jones didnt eat into his playing time for no good reason. Either way, there seems to be a case here
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Yes and, he was such an impact player. Steelers probably would not have won Super Bowl 43 without his great pick six off Kurt Warner!

Porter 98 sacks played ahead of Harrison for 5 years so many would question how does His backup get in when he himself isnt in ...

Personally I believe Harrison to be the better player that happenstance had him playing for a coaching staff that LOVED its proven Vets and took less risks with less proven players even though it was evident that they could play ... Remember Harrisons first start ??? I do ......... Joey Porter got into a pregame altercation and was ejected ... in comes Harrison and the Beat was unleashed for the first time ..
    In Harrison's case, I don't think that was the issue nearly as much as it was the fact that Harrison was a knucklehead early on. I don't mean that as in he did stupid things in games or off the field. He just didn't understand the game. I remember stories about him throwing up his hands and walking away in the middle of a play in practice, even telling the coach to get him out of there because he didn't know what he was doing. If he showed any flash of what he was capable of early on he stays on the Steelers, sees the field in 2003 rather than Clark Haggans, and we're having a very different conversation about him now.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Porter was Cowher’s favorite, and he was also very popular in the lockerroom. It was ballsy for Tomlin to move on from Porter (not resign him) and go with Harrison. It worked out very well.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    In Harrison's case, I don't think that was the issue nearly as much as it was the fact that Harrison was a knucklehead early on. I don't mean that as in he did stupid things in games or off the field. He just didn't understand the game. I remember stories about him throwing up his hands and walking away in the middle of a play in practice, even telling the coach to get him out of there because he didn't know what he was doing. If he showed any flash of what he was capable of early on he stays on the Steelers, sees the field in 2003 rather than Clark Haggans, and we're having a very different conversation about him now.
    The most telling story of how Harrison didn’t have “all of the pieces”: on a kickoff, Harrison decleats his man and then stands above him… while the ball carrier runs right past him for a huge gain.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Porter liked to do more interviews than Harrison. James was like a black version of Jack Lambert. I was lucky enough to watch them both play and they both put the team on their backs to pull out wins when it was needed the most.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    Yes and, he was such an impact player. Steelers probably would not have won Super Bowl 43 without his great pick six off Kurt Warner!
    No question! A case could be made for Harrison getting the MVP of that game. At the least that was a 10 point swing and at most 14. I never get tired of watching that interception. The entire defense turned into blockers.
    I think he should get in just for his “Captain Insano” slam on the Brown’s fan.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

His TD against the Cardinals in the SB locked it. He 100% should be in. Kurt Warner is the same way, started his career late but made the best of it with the reduced playing years.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

It’ll be interesting to see if he makes the final 25 in his first year of eligibility.

I’m not a big stats guy. I have often equated Hines Ward to Nirvana.

Likewise, I see Harrison as Jimi Hendrix: a backup (played background for Otis Redding and Sam Cooke) for a few years before he broke out on his own (three albums in two years). Despite a very short career, there is no doubt that Jimi is one of the all-time legends. Same goes for Harrison.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Likewise, I see Harrison as Jimi Hendrix: a backup (played background for Otis Redding and Sam Cooke) for a few years before he broke out on his own (three albums in two years). Despite a very short career, there is no doubt that Jimi is one of the all-time legends. Same goes for Harrison.
    great analogy

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

What really matters is how people remember him when his time comes. If they still see him as that dominant force on the field, then yes, otherwise no. It is a popularity contest after all. As for the injuries he gave people, I recall when he was the poster (and commercial) guy of the NFL’s “Here comes the BOOM!” Campaign, so they maybe shouldn’t bring up his hitting style.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Damn you're old, I have no idea who any of these people are.

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Damn you're old, I have no idea who any of these people are.
    I’ll try to use a more modern analogy… hmmm

Hines Ward is One Direction.
    James Harrison is… uh… Blippi.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I’ll try to use a more modern analogy… hmmm

Hines Ward is One Direction.
    James Harrison is… uh… Blippi.

Or a Gen-X reference:

James Harrison is Justin Timberlake from NSYNC. Just one of the members of the boy band until he broke out with his solo act, then became like the man or something

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Or a Gen-X reference:

James Harrison is Justin Timberlake from NSYNC. Just one of the members of the boy band until he broke out with his solo act, then became like the man or something
    Just watch out for Harrison around Christmas Time…